Space Thread

Why is Space so comfy? Edition

Other urls found in this thread:

heiwaco.tripod.com/moontravel.htm
arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/10006153
8ch.net/vg/res/20155.html
arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/10001583-star-trek-online:-summer-event-2016
youtube.com/channel/UCgRPPSQK_r4ynfwQ6rdHFoA
archive.is/Nl7f7
youtube.com/watch?v=9kQUk3nJ6Pw
youtu.be/B7QF0QsjkY8
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

IRL: Because the majority know jackshit about it.
In reallity it's pretty scary user.

In games: Because it's like the good old days during the Age of Discovery.

Because there's no one there but you and your spaceship. It's the perfect setting for the socially awkward.

I guess that's pretty comfy knowing no one will hear you scream.

Space is fucking terrifying.

At least it's not as bad as deep sea

SPACEBALLS THE FLAMETHROWER

Are you serious? We've only discovered some of the nightmares that exist in the deep sea. We've discovered none of the nightmares that lurk in space. We know the sea is terrifying because we know some of it, enough to draw a comparison from. There is horror beyond our comprehension is out there because we have yet to discover anything to compare it to and it lurks in space.

Space is a fucking nightmare.

Deep sea is terrifying because we know there's life there. Earth is pretty much isolated as the only planet with life for lightyears (outside possibly on the planets of Saturn and Jupiter), and intelligent life is fucking nowhere to be found. We're going to have to go out very fucking far to even get a glimpse at the "nighmares that lurk in space", but we don't even have to leave the planet to find nightmares that lurk in the depths

Thinking about it, we'll probably be as frighting to aliens as they are to us. Even scarier for them, we would be the first species neighboring species to create faster than light travel and blast into their solar system one day, having their scream bloody apocalypse of the coming invasion.

xeno detected, we are going to get you, faggot.

Hawking prove this is bullshit. Every blackhole have a "shiny" accretion disk because distortion.

Space Trucking is comfy because of the trucking part. Hence why Euro Truck Simulator is also comfy. I suspect real life space trucking would be fucking boring unless you get into an Alien situation.

Worst crew mates ever.

Where my zero-g dogs at?

And yet i love these games

So what are some games that have horrifying creatures floating in space?

Obligatory

Why x4 games dont feature eldritch horror in them, only filthy xenos who cant do shit.

Homeworld Cataclysm?

Considering that Earth wasted a few hundred million years on dinosaurs with a high possibility that other planets may have had ideal conditions to go straight to intelligent creatures, I really doubt we'll be the first with FTL-travel. And even with FTL, it might still take immense amounts of time to cross a galaxy, let alone pop into a new one. So there's a possibility aliums are headed for us right now, going faster than light, and it's still taking thousands of years.

If you consider the amount of noise Earth is making especially with broadcasts we are making deep into space what's the bet that first contact is going to be a bunch of grumpy Ayy Lmaos coming to tell us to turn the noise down?

SotS2 but game is unoptimised shit from paracucks.

Wait, what?
How do you encounter an AGN without expecting it? They're kind of hard to miss.
And what are you doing that deep in the galactic core anyway?

qt loli predator looks better.

there is a vn a la rance with a qt hitler loli and spaceship monsters that eat planets and shit.
I hope you know moonrunes.

Only just started playing this, you anons told me there would be strategy, where is the strategy?

At edit fleet part, you can choose your ships a formation.
Beyond that, it's just selecting what sorta attack you perform during combat and selecting a target ship.
Also as game progresses you can pick and choose between multiple different types of weapons to mount on your ship.

I loved Infinite Space but the combat in that game is horrible and it only serves to let down the very detailed ship building system.
And let me tell you, the wonderfully detailed ship building/crew select is great fun but it all translates into fuck all in a real battle. Having crew that are competent in their jobs might only increase say, the reload speed of your weapon by 0.x% and so on.

I went about half way through the game before I just turned cheats on to enjoy the story. I suggest you do the same - there's a threshold where strategy is only so effective, thereafter there's so much luck and pain in battles.

At the start of Yuri DA MAN, you get separated from your crew and after busting out of a prison, you get yourself some new ships.
Despite them being pretty nice they dont feel that great until you get your old crew back, that's when you notice how much of a difference your crew is.
Ships heal faster during flight, crew replenishes faster during combat, ship gauge is slightly faster and so on and so forth.

You're forgetting SOTS1

Yeah man, I turned on cheats around after the LMC battle. I tried turning them on and off again but the battles just felt like this.

I know how it feels. When you get a better crew later in the game, your ship reloads faster (this is the only thing that I remember). It doesn't make the battle system any less shit.
And my point is, for all the detail that is in assigning characters to crew roles, for all the characters there are in the game, it's incredibly shitty for all that detail to translate to a minor percentage modifier. Some characters had special skills but I don't recall those taking much effect either.

Anyway, I made my point, battle system a shit. The rest of the game is great though.

What battlestar is that? Doesn't look like the Theseus.

star control 2

Space is not real.

It's fantasy.

It was never funny.

heiwaco.tripod.com/moontravel.htm

Facts aren't supposed to be funny.

They're facts.

Your link doesn't even contain a mention of flat earth.
Stop wasting my time.

How much does NASA pay you to shill for them?

Looks like a Raynor and Blue Planet's super destroyer

Probably a test of this actually.

I just realized how much I want to make the Eagle 5 in Kerbal Space Program or use it in a physics-based version of Space Engine.

It’s a fair bit of much. Gotta do it.

Never helped me to actually go into a black hole in space engine.
The moment one of those somewhere pop up I just NOPE the fuck out.

Anybody heard of this game? Just came out on steam (In early access). Apparently the guy whos been working on it has been for years now, looks pretty good tbh

(Anybody found a torrent for it?)

Man, out of morbid curiosity I took a look at the ED forums. You know a game is in trouble when even the official forums are full of complaints.

Enemy Starfighter? Been shilled before.
Looks preddy gud

Looks like House of the Dying Sun.

OOPS I forgot to actually say its name anywhere by partially in the file name. But yeah its House of the Dying Sun, it looks breddy good and I'd like to play it, but, y'know, poor. Plus its 30 dollaryoos here because linking your economy with China is always a great idea.

Just checked and yeah it used to be called Enemy Starfighter.

Did he come out of the same blackhole, or did he actually pop out of another?

Aight Star trek fans, we got some news!

The agents of yesterday, the TOS expansion for star trek online is coming July 6.

arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/10006153

anyone got qt girls in space pics?

This cute enough for ya?

So what are actually black holes and how do they work? I've heard weird shit before that theoretically you could go through one and end up at another point in the universe but that sounds like some retarded writer getting the concept of wormholes mixed up with black holes?

I always thought blackholes were just voids?

I've heard them range from being just areas of complete nothingness to the shit that sucks everything into a spacial abyss.

The only way to find out is to fly into one and see what happens

Sounds dangerous, I think it's best to send a monkey in first.

Space is fucking scary!

I agree but what if they find something. The chance to be the first to see something that astounding or that terrifying is to good to pass up.

That was amazing I wanna go into a black hole now.

Is it good?

not really

… oh…

Reminder: Star Trek teleporters are suicide machines
The original crew of the Enterprise is already dead

its the same with the stargate, they are just copies.

Alright, here's the simplified basics. I study these things, so there may be some things I forget people might need explaining. Let me know if so.

Consider a region of gas in deep space (since almost all matter is hydrogen and helium). All parts of the gas experience gravitational attraction to the rest of the gas cloud, and so will collapse inwards.
If there is enough gas, the compression from gravity causes the temperature and pressure at the core to reach a point high enough to begin hydrogen fusion. The energy liberated by fusion hold back the collapse. At that point, you have a stable star. Any further collapse would increase the fusion rate, increasing radiation pressure, and pushing the star back out; this is sort of like a thermostat keeping things in equilibrium.
Eventually, you run out of hydrogen to fuse, and end up needing to burn the helium it has produced by H fusion, then oxygen, and so on through the periodic table. Giant stars are in these phases.

At some point, depending on how big the star is, it cannot reach the conditions required for continued fusion. For a sun-like star, it can't burn oxygen or carbon. Once you run out of helium, that's the end, and you get a white dwarf. Much larger stars can burn all the way up to producing iron and nickel - but beyond those elements, you LOSE energy from fusion instead of gaining it, so the process cannot continue.
So without fusion what hold back the collapse?
For white dwarfs, the collapse is halted by electron degeneracy pressure. In the most simple terms, two particles cannot be in the same place at the same time. Degeneracy pressure is the result of this, just as you can't push two billiard balls into the same space. In a white dwarf, it is the electrons that cannot be in the same place. In some cases, even this pressure is not enough, and the collapse continues. The next pressure you encounter is neutron degeneracy, where the entire star (a neutron star, at this point) is essentially one big atomic nucleus, with more than the mass of the sun in a ball the size of Manhattan.

But if you started with a star that was bigger still, then even the neutron degeneracy is not enough. There is nothing that can stop the collapse from continuing, and everything just gets pushed together until there is no more volume to collapse. Exactly what happens at this point is not known, since our current models go haywire at such unimaginably high densities. This is the singularity.

There is something called the escape speed, which is the minimum speed you must go such that with no other acceleration (i.e. as a bullet, not a rocket) to not fall back down. For Earth's surface, this is around 11 km/s (25 000 mph) ignoring the atmosphere.
As you get closer to an object, the escape speed gets higher, since gravity gets stronger. With black holes, you eventually reach a point where the escape speed is higher than the speed of light (300 000 km/s, or 670,000,000 mph). No light can escape, and all falls down the hole, making it black.
This distance, where the escape speed reaches the speed of light, is the event horizon. This is seen as a "surface" of the black hole, being where it becomes black, though it is not an actual physical object. Inside the event horizon, nothing can get out.

This region within the event horizon, and the singularity at its centre, is a black hole.

Can 2 black holes crash into each other

yeah, and a general thread 8ch.net/vg/res/20155.html

Yes. This phenomenon was predicted for years, and very recently detected observationally.

You may be familiar with the idea that space can be simplified as something like a sheet of rubber, with objects bending it with their gravity.
If two black holes are in a very close orbit, this will produce waves in the "sheet" that bleed off energy, and cause them to spiral closer together. Eventually they collide, and merge into one larger black hole. These gravity waves have been detected.

So they are just going to keep growing bigger and bigger

Exactly.
Their growth is actually a significant area of study at the moment. We've found small black holes, a few times the mass of the sun, and supermassive black holes, as heavy as millions to several billion suns. But for some reason we have yet to find so-called "intermediate-mass black holes". Those would be objects hundreds to thousands of times the mass of the sun

Hit enter too early.

For some reason, we just don't see them. There are currently a number of people, including one in my research group, looking in very dense regions of stars, but nothing has been conclusive yet.

Reminder that fighters in space are fucking retarded and that the only proper/fun way to do space combat is in naval style. This is an objective fact.

How long until it kills us all

are you gay user?

black holes cannot grow forever, they leak a radiation that somehow can escape their gravity, so they lose mass over time, the bigger they are the faster they lose it

Drats

dogfights are fun, but they're more fun with battleship sized imperial destroyers.

The timescales on that are enormous though.
The real reason is that it takes a huge amount of mass to make a large black hole. Even the one at the centre of the Milky Way is only about the size of Neptune's orbit, tiny on galactic scales. There's essentially no way for a black hole to get large enough to swallow up anything but a small region.

Wanting "dogfights" is exactly why Elite Dangerous is so fucking awful. The devs completely destroyed all possibility of the game actually being enjoyable because they said they wanted "proper" "dogfights".

If I wanted plane combat, I'd play a flight sim with planes.

What's the chance of one forming near us?

You need a very large star indeed to produce a black hole, and there just aren't any that big nearby. Even then, there wouldn't be much effect on us anyway.
Remember, gravity is determined by how much mass you have, not how dense the object is. If the Sun magically became a black hole (even though it isn't massive enough to become one naturally), Earth's orbit would not change, because it's still the same mass. It's only when you get very close that strange things start happening.

oh yeah i forgot about elite dangerous, why is it bad? havent checked it yet
can you build factories like in X3?

lies! i know you are a blackhole posting!

there is always the possibility of a supernova shockwave bursting the entire solar system out of nowhere
we will probably only get black holes arround here when our galaxy colide with andromeda, but this will take so long the sun will have died by them

Haha, that's cute. It's a shallow as fuck game with almost nothing to do. Seriously, all you can do in the game is mine, do deliveries, or just attack people. I'm like 99% sure there is no way for you to even own more than one ship. I don't even think you can store things. What you're flying is literally everything you own.

Well, like I was saying with the plane combat, one of the biggest reasons I refunded that piece of shit was that the devs literally wanted the game to play like you are flying planes. You can't turn sideways because "it's only for precise aiming adjustments". Instead, you have to roll, SLOW DOWN TO A CERTAIN "MAX MANEUVERABILITY SPEED", and pull up. Like a plane.

Also apparently they're being super jews with the DLC, but when I tried and refunded it, it was before the DLC was out. You'll have to ask someone who knows what's up with the DLC about that.

The only thing I can say the game has going for it is nice sound design, and the cockpits look pretty nice.

by then*

i guess we have to wait for Star Citizen then
see you guys in 2053

Not really.
As I said above, there are no stars anywhere close to us that are very large.

You can store and have multiple ships in Elite Dangerous, but you're right about everything else

The mass of a black hole is inversely proportional to its lifespan. Low mass black holes have the highest temperatures and die the fastest, while supermassive black holes will probably be around 10^100 years from now. You can safely call that eternity.

What really keeps us safe is the fact that space is expanding, so the supermassive black holes are getting farther and farther away from any matter to eat.

Added a music player to my game so you can get comfy while minin' or killin rats.

Going to make it so it switches between comfy music and combat music depending on if you're in combat.

I worry about the critical features first

Well back to waiting I guess

That music cheered me up a bit

I think there's something like that in Stellaris.

I vote for classic music, for space vidya.
Are you planning on destroying individual parts of enemy ships? like turrets, engines and shit?

Sword of the Stars have some NPC space monsters that attack everyone.

But Paradox is a human company user

Star Citizen looks like fucking garbage. It going the god-awful Freelancer route doesn't help, either. Limit Theory is the only space game being made right now that's worth looking forward to.

Too bad it will probably never be released.

The universe's expansion doesn't quite work like that. Galaxies themselves aren't being ripped apart, but instead are held together by gravity. It's the distance between galaxies - and between galaxy clusters - that is increasing. Even then, some inter-galaxy attraction can overcome the expansion and lead to galactic collisions. We'll hit Andromeda in a very, very long time.

SMBHs stop expanding when they run out of matter in their local area, but there's still an entire galaxy around them at that point. Our galaxy's is not longer gaining mass at a very significant rate, even though there's plenty of stuff in the Milky Way.

My work focuses on active SMBHs which, unlike ours, are absorbing large amounts of matter.

Aye, I already have destroying enemy turrets, just need to bring them into my new project. Started fresh with the new version of unreal for VR

I'll also have destroying enemy engines and areas that do more damage.

I love how some Sonic games had space as the final level.

Has anyone play this before? I do like that it's very much not a serious take on space and more something on the lines of hitchhiker's guide to the galaxy in terms of the universe. But the gameplay is pretty limited and after a few hours, you basically seen everything to it.

Is there any other decent space exploring games where the mood is fairly non-serious.

fascinating, if you're still here I'd like to ask you another question

can you briefly describe what the general theory of relativity and gravitational time dilation means? Is it really like in the movie Interstellar where if you go to a planet that is under the gravitational influence of a supermassive black hole, time for you will slow down while the time for everyone else stays the same, effectively making you go forward in time?

I meant "safe" in the sense that almost all SMBHs were formed in the early universe and therefore extremely far away from us, and moving away from us at a substantial fraction of the speed of light. Aren't they all redshifted to hell?

Lovecraft was a fucking visionary of horror.

The central point of relativity, both special and general, is that light in a vacuum moves at a speed c that is agreed upon by anyone who measures it. Special is simpler, so we'll start there.

Consider a light-based clock. You have two mirrors a known distance apart. Since the speed of light is known, then you can say that when a beam of light bounces between mirrors a certain number of times, one second has passed.
Now imagine the clock is on a rocket moving very fast. In the time it takes to bounce, the mirrors will have moved, and so the light must be moving on an angle in order to keep bouncing. This means the distance is longer for each bounce than when stationary, making it take longer to have the required number of bounces for one second. The clock will run more slowly. But you can't just recalibrate the clock to make up for it. To someone on the same rocket, the mirrors aren't moving, and so there's nothing to change. In fact, he will see the mirrors for your clock moving, and say that yours is wrong in exactly the same way as his. You both see each others clocks going slowing than your own.
And there is no universal "stationary", so both your clocks would be equally valid, as long as you are both moving at constant speed relative to one another. If you explore this a bit deeper, you'll even find that the phrase "at the same time" is not firm either.

Gravity makes things a bit harder. General relativity is harder than special to talk about without math, so it's hard to explain quite why time dilation occurs in this case. Suffice to say that acceleration or gravity (the two have similar effect on an observer - consider G-force on an elevator) also cause a time dilation effect proportional to the strength of gravity. But there's an asymmetry to it, because one observer is in a non-inertial frame of reference (i.e. an accelerating perspective) and that is not relative the way constant motion is.
So someone on the earth's surface would see time move at a different speed than a satellite, by an extremely small amount. This is still measurable however, and is of critical importance to the GPS network, among other things.
near a black hole, this would get very large.
Interstellar wasn't entirely correct though. I may be mistaken since I had stopped paying attention to the film by that point, but unless they did something very strange they should have had little difference in time compared to their ship. The planet is irrelevant at that level of time dilation, so unless the ship was somehow much farther away from the BH, landing wouldn't change anything.
Besides, when you're close enough for that level of time dilation you're probably getting lethal doses of x-rays anyway.

E:D's been like that since it was first announced. Immediately a bunch of old faggots who played the original games decades ago came out of the woodwork and started demanding that Frontier make sure they don't put any fun in E:D so that it'll be an authentic Elite experience like they remember from their childhood.

Any time Frontier hinted at maybe implementing some quality of life stuff or fun gameplay, the forumdads lost their shit and whined their asses off.

Frontier's only just started ignoring them a bit but it's gonna be fucking forever until the game actually gets good.

The fact that your friend had to ask that is not a good sign user.

Space is a vast empty nothingness but at the same time filled with limitless possibilities. It's a frontier to explore and the quite solace of empty solitude.

It's comforting but exciting and dangerous all at the same time.

Space must be what the Ocean was like for men in the past. This romantic thing that seemed to go on forever just waiting for you to find your way in it.

It's beautiful man.

Out there your soul won't be weighed down by gravity.

It won't get good until they remove the dogfight bullshit controls. Until I am able to turn at the same speed in any direction no matter how fast I am moving, it's not worth playing.

In Interstellar they parked their main ship outside the range of the black hole and took a smaller vessel down to the planet which was experiencing the time dilation. But the point wasn't really that their ship was also experiencing the time dilation, the point was the people back on earth would be aging years while they passed mere hours on the surface of the planet.

That's what I'm asking is at least theoretically possible.

Is it possible for someone on another planet to feel like an hour as passed and on a different planet an entire year has passed for someone else?

E:D has many problems but that's not one of them. That's basically a subjective gameplay preference, how you like your flight model vs how other people like their flight model.

E:D's real problems are the lack of persistence, the poor multiplayer structure (no global chat, no guilds), the fact that its still basically in early access mode with a ton of shit missing, the MMO-ish grind requirements without appropriate structure to accompany it, atrocious QOL problems like the inability to have your ships ferried to you, that kind of thing.

Yes, there's no theoretical reason why you wouldn't be able to have such a dramatic difference.
The only question would be just how close you'd have to get. Depending on the black hole it's possible that you may be too close to remain intact, and/or within the event horizon. I'd have to do some calculations to be firm on that, and it's too late in the evening for that.

Homeworld remastered collection is currently on sale on gog. Is this a version to buy?

Hawking cant fucking prove anything, he is a fucking hack that makes "theories", the only reason anyone knows who he is is because he is disabled and "talks" funny. And while we are at it carl sagan, neil degrasse tyson, albert einstein are all talking head personalities more then they are researchers/scientists in their respective fields and are essentially meme public figures who are only popular cause of le geek culture as opposed their actual achievements (implying). Carl segan was not that bad but he was not that great either overall overrated, neil degrasse tyson has litterally and figuratively never done a single noteworthy thing or made any advancements in his field and finally albert einstein he is literally the most stereotypical jew caricature you would ever not believe existed he stole tons of other peoples work and pawned it off as his own only to be met with a squeaky clean legacy as like the most ahead of his time person ever or whatever normalfags believe despite it being an indisputable fact that over 90% of his "work" is not actually "his work". I left out nikola tesla because even though he is generic normalfag le nerd culture pop culture scientist bait he actually did interesting things so much so that the government had to make his work disappear and that no one has really done all that much research of value in advancing the knowledge in his field to this day.

pics unrelated
sage for offtopic

You forgot light bulb man

Because space is basically the Wild West Part 2: Electric Boogaloo. It represents a second chance at the freedom we had in the Old West.

Law was a mistake

Because people naturally find wide open spaces comforting.

what is worst, that i didnt notice the joke/not minding that the shit was too big or him asking?

It's literally, objectively incorrect for a space game.

nigga what? he fell in love with a pigeon he bought in a chinese petshop.and we all know it was really a harpy video related

no, dont fucking buy the remastered edition, its just an incomplete game of homeworld.
Just pirate the original homeworld 1 & 2 and Cataclysm
You will have LAN gameplay, yes credit music.
its fucking trash, you cant play homeworld classic multiplayer, only remaster version, that uses the homeworld 2 engine and it shits all over the formations and bullets ballistics
They are "trying" to fix it in the next patch, or so the shills say.

Objectively correct for a space game would play like submarine warfare. You could level "objectively incorrect" at just about every space game I can think of since almost none of them play like submarine warfare.

Good.

Things like Nexus and Fractured Space (despite being a MOBA, it has pretty good combat) did it right. More games need to follow the correct method like them. X3 also did it pretty good since you're usually going to be spending most of your time in a corvette, and there are a bunch of huge ass ships that fight proper. M6s in X3 are the perfect middle ground, honestly.

Space cowboy gets it. Give me the stars to roam in my space wagon, with my space revolver at my side and new systems and planets to explore.

There could be cosmic anomalies shitposting in this thread, and we wouldn't know it.

How do I instill cosmic horror in people through writing and such, Holla Forums?

Is he trying to get him to fuck the lizard?

Yeah that's pretty much what I wanted to know. I remember something awhile back about gearbox acquiring homewolrd and they did a shitty job at it. Thanks for the confirmation.

any space games that only use technology from this era?

That's idiotic, because you're saying that only one gameplay genre (submarine warfare) should be allowed to be set in space, and that any space game that's in a different gameplay genre is somehow wrong.

By your own retarded standards X3 is wrong, by the way.

I don't recall any aerodynamics in X3, user.

that is not even a good comparison.
I know you want realistic space combat, but 99% is stuck with the whole ww2 combat. Hell even modern aircraft movies/games still behave like ww2 airplanes.
If i remember correctly there is a one man dev doing a space simulator.
Or the first part of nexus: jupiter incident, would be better if they made a preequal with corporation warfare and shit. NEVER EVER

well, its not against the rules.

umm, user.

re-implemented :^)

Tesla has become a pretty euphoric meme-figure of late

Unlike in Elite where you raise the flaps on your wings so you can turn like a plane.

Him asking. You have the benefit of being distracted by some good model work.

As a kid I watched a series of space documentaries.
I actually got nightmares about falling into black holes or a stray one traveling to earth and swallowing it hole.

Wow, you people are really stupid.

I'm quite baffled at how low your IQs are.

Escape Velocity: Nova, one of my top ten favourite games.

ftfy, the internet was the second and it's already dead.

Well…
Depends.
What star trek series did you enjoy the most?
For you see, at certain points the story seems to almost follow some sorta precedent of other trek shows, with the early content being like TOS (exploran and fighting monsters of the week per each mission), then it goes to TNG with somewhat improved same as before.
Then we get to some relatively later content and it starts feeling sorta like DS9 with a galactic war on the background and so on.
Then we hit the delta quadrant and it was Voyager all over again.
Then after finishing the Iconian war we went straight into Enterprise territory with a fucking temporal cold war.

Content gets constantly added in, space combat is pretty neat, ground combat is pretty average by MMO standards, you get to customize and clothe and make up your captain and bridge officers and can pick from gorillion ships.

If you like this, then go ahead and try it out.
Just stay away from Zen store till you are max level.

Oh yes and there's going to be a summer event soon, as in, it starts today.
If you got a level 10 character, you can go to Risa and start earning summer event vouchers with which you can grab yourself a tier 6 ship for free.

So, put short, if you want to get into this game, right now is the best time.

in real life its fucking horrifying

which zodiac do i have to kill to remove the jews?

they could just block us on spacebook and not have to hear it

I dunno.
From Ayy lmao point of view our radio broadcasts must look like smoke signals.
They might get their meaning if they analyze them thoroughly, or they could just mistake them to be part of cosmic background radiation.
The way we are currently looking for messages in space is like looking for smoke signals on sky filled with clouds.

Well its not a game, but Orbiter is a realistic space flight simulator that uses real world tech. Its a real as you could probably get.

If the Earth was flat, how come I can send a radio signal from one side of a ship, and catch it on the other?
Suck my antenna, flatearthers.

On an unrelated note, I really gotta try that some day. Going to need a hell of a lot of power, though. Also a boat, for ease of doing.

Anyone ever played Starshatter?

Just played a few missions. Pretty decent so far. Aesthetics are great. I've got a Rift DK2 that I'll have to try out with it tomorrow.

are you stupid? did you never play battle mode in mario 3?

We'll always have the actual game though.

(Checked)
I have not. Would you tell about it?

I have it. I found a list of games I should play back from like a decade ago, and Starshatter was on it. Spent a full day hunting the internet to find a copy of it. Then got distracted and didn't play more than 5 minutes of it. I should do that now.

It's the most realistic space combat sim ever made, words cannot describe just how much detail it goes into, you must try it for yourself.

Starshatter

That is a pretty godawful name for a game and quite literally sounds like Starshitter.

Any good?

The summer event is only few hours away, go grab your hover boards and prepare to DO THE SNAKE!

arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/10001583-star-trek-online:-summer-event-2016

I think Starshatter is a really good name. I genuinely never would have even thought of "starshitter". Sounds totally different.

Shat is shit in the past participle.

For example "The cat shat on the mat."

i like where this thread is going

Our radio wave presence "sphere" only extends about 100 light years out so far but it goes down in intensity the closer in the sphere you get because we stopped using stupidly powerful transmitters to over come technological inefficiencies. An alien species would probably only have a ~50 timespan from when our wave of decipherable radio waves go by before it gets dominated by early-warning radar signals, which are loud faggots by design but don't carry useful info.

Granted at the distance the shell has degraded by entropy tt the point that it just makes the sun look like it emits more radio radiation than a star like it should

The cat in the hat shat on the mat, cause he was into scat.

The Cat in the Hat went to pat a bat while he sat then shat on the mat because he was into scat, the fat rat.

Fuck that guy.

why live?

Someone has watched too much Galaxy Express 999.

mrs frizzle was a loli at some point

Thomas edison isnt all that overrated and tons of people already know that he stole his designs and stuff.

I am so sorry user, I am so so sorry. You are in for some pain when you eventually see it though. They dont really care about his sex bird for some reason but they like him. I explained why I didnt include him though.

Pretty much this. Some reddit icon or something made him popular or something I dont know the whole story.

At least Tesla transcended into the 2D realm

Let me guess. Privata or Pecisk?

Your spaceship doesn't stop immediately if you turn your engines off in X3.

Give a try to Terminus or Starshatter, I remember good physics in those.

Any you niggers played Eternal Silence?

Yeah! it was great

Shame it died and no anons understand that it's a free standalone game. Especially considering it had space battles with boarding action in it along with Newtonian Physics.

So does nobody have a torrent/etc for House of the Dying Sun? Looks great, and its been out and the gaming media hasn't been quiet about it.

Fucking hope this doesn't have denuvo..

mmmhh, i wonder why?
Its looks like homeworld was turned into a space flight vidya, will keep an eye on it.

i fly through empty maps sometimes, hoping i find someone, even though i know it won't happen

Why is that the soundtrack of every James Bond movie fits space games perfectly, i usually play Star Ruler 2 with these on the BG and they make for some great space ambiance

I'll probably make extended versions of the nice songs later so i don't have to open youtube every time i play.

Also post your best space track

orchestra/classic music is the best choice for space vidya

Do you post in the agdg user? Are you planning on actually finishing that thing someday? Looks kinda okay

I like Nexus but tbh the stiletto was more enjoying to pilot than the angelwing. Still had a blast saving the universe. My only petpevee was that the ships won't stop spinning in combat which ruined the visual experience. I could disable the spin but i'd be vulnerable.

Going from Stiletto to Angelwing was a massive case of gaming blueballs for me.

oh my mistake i meant pulsar, not quasar

I wish, I have played it for 8 hours and still not finished the rare events. The wormhole quest is impossibru, never starts and when it does the galaxy has fucked you somehow.

I've bought it for 377 roubles and played four missions for a 1.5 hours, not sure if take back to the store.
Well, it's more FTL(hard at early, later steamrolling as you learn the tactics) than EVE(nullsec asteroid belt battles) or Star Conflict(f2p shit), the campaign is short and there isn't any sandbox mode but it has actually great spess shooting and VR. And VR is irrelevant for me.
I want flying in Robocraft 2014 back.

I really want a game that offers full spacecomfiness.

Maybe I'll get it this decade, lots of VR devs seem to be working on space things because cockpit piloting games don't need movement.

lol that Freelancer feel. The first time I was going through wormholes and exploring, I quickly came upon one incredibly dangerous system. One of the Omegas I think, has a fuckload of radiation and pirates, but then I discovered the diamonds in the asteroid belt…

Man talk about risk vs. reward. That system was brutal.

Fractured Space does have surprisingly good combat. I fucking hate MOBAs but I'm actually enjoying it.

But on the note of realistic space combat, I remember all the retards were sperging out when Space Engineers was adding oxygen/air pressure to the game. They were like "OH EM GEE I CAN HAVE REAL SPACE BATTLES NOW". When I broke it to the losers that a real ship in a combat scenario would be depressurized for an uncountable number of reasons, they went full reddit and picked apart every word I said.

People claim they want realism, but what they actually want is Star Trek/Star Wars fighting where everything handles like a WW2 fighter and people are in shirts and pants during a battle that is taking chunks out of their ship. Makes no fucking sense.

You could work hard and become a real astronaut before the global economic collapse makes sending shit other than commercial satellites to the orbit unfeasible.

That's stupid, realistic space combat is important in a game like Space Engineers. I bet you're just too poor to afford a great game like SE. :^)

I knew a guy who's only dream was to go to space. He worked really hard getting his doctorate at early age, worked in numerous projects on space stuff and kept himself in peak physical condition. He is like the main character of Gattaga, expect not a genetic cripple. But the fact is, the likelyhood of him going to space are next to none.

I'm glad I don't have dreams.

i only played it because they gave it for free, unlocked everything and stopped playing.

he should get rich and pay for a trip for space.

I knew a guy like that. Incredibly smart, good physical condition, PhD in planetary science, pilot instructor (I actually got a couple of my certifications from him), officer in the Reserves, Eng/Fr bilingual (not too useful for astronautics, but the CSA has a hardon for it), just everything they could possibly look for.

He was well aware of how even with all his qualifications, the odds were still slim that he'd make it to space.
Things are still going well for him even earthbound though. Last I heard he was in JPL working on Curiosity.

My astronaut ambitions died when I realized I was too lazy for it. That, and the fact that the subjects I research are megaparsecs away.

Yeah it's pretty comfy.

I don't know about you user but being in your own personal little cabin while hauling huge loads on the open highway for several hours a day sounds pretty alright. I figure your ass would hurt and you'd need to do some major working out in your downtime but it sounds pretty cathartic.

aye I do, I'll update when I have more progress too

I'm trying to take advantage of the VR gimmick to pass greenlight and get sales, so yeah the objective is to finish it. But I had to start from scratch for VR (I can copy and paste stuff from old projects though)

So I'm catching up to where I was before, which I basically have now. I'm going to add my overworld soon so the carrier can jump around to locations, so then there will be a gameflow

I was thinking of making it kind of like a survival game in a small way, in that you need to get fuel, water, food (maybe just one of them, like supplies) etc. So you have to jump around and gather while avoiding increasing amount of rats that chase you.

this game is underrated

Sounds good my man. Is there any way to follow your progress? Do you/will you need music?

Bumping with House of the Dying Sun webm I encoded overnight

the correct term is 'flat economic collapse' since the world is flat and not a globe

You do know that you are managing to implement shit that took CIG 5 years to do? :^)

how can people play with that shit enable? or is it some strange effect?

Tesla had transcended indeed. INTO THE ASSFAGGOTS REALM

I occassionally post vids to youtube at youtube.com/channel/UCgRPPSQK_r4ynfwQ6rdHFoA

And I also post here and in /agdg/

And sure, I could use music. I wanted music to be a fairly big part of my game, I already have the music player that's easy to add songs too

I've got mining and pirates and building ships, but here's my question;

Should you build fighters at the carrier, on the go, or should you have to go to a station to manufacture fighters?

tell me more about einstein, got any sources on him being a dirty kike thief?

make the carrier upgradable and force the player to get blueprints to build fighters

This tbh

Nigga shoot me an email, I wanna make music for a space game.

fuck, bigsmile010 at gmail.com

see

Pretty much this. Although maybe have it so that by getting fighter manufacturing capability you trade something in return, like less weapons, cargo space, or shields or engine power.

Was playing with a VR headset. Sometimes when you blur it's just because I'm using the radial menu but it's not picking it up in the video feed.

I've been following that game for years.
It's looking pretty good.
Do you think it'll be good once it's out of EA?

Well it's not MP so maybe it will survive EA

That game is like crack

Fun fact, Liru is out.

yeah i know, but its still a cute reaction pic

Mandate when?

Never ever

AWOOO!

Isn't that Star Citizen?

Or would it be there are still stretchgoals and ship sales

multi-generational accounts, and i leave to my son my star citizen pledge.

What if Roberts is actually on to something?

A game people want to pay for due to the price exclusivity, and Corp wars.

soon captain.

Are there any gaymes about space colonization or terraforming, like Spore's space stage but not actually shit and boring?

Sins of a Solar Empire: Rebellion perhaps?

I have it. Was thinking of something more involved than just moving your colony ship there and clicking upgrade a few times.

there is a game where you move around in your "the last of humanity" colonyship.
fighting off ayyliums and upgrading it.
to bad it looks/plays kind of average.
INTO THE STARS its the name.

Mite b gud.

So Knights of Sidonia except generic and dull

Added turrets attacking enemy ships, based on priority so large turrets will attack large ships first, then ones they can't really hit because they're too fast

If we go by the heat death assumption (which we’re 99% sure is correct), eventually the entire Universe will be a single black hole. Rather, the Universe will be unfathomably huge and in its very center (insofar as such things can be said), tiny in comparison, will be a black hole of unimaginable proportions. It, eventually, will decay and the Universe will be left as a perfectly dark, perfectly empty void of uniform energy, down to the quantum level (where fluctuations in the foam may result in… interesting things).

You forgot one, user.

So there is hope for the spiral nemesis?

for

sauce?

Star Trek teleporters are simply machines that clone the person, then kill the original. The evidence for this is an episode where the machine didn't kill the original and they went crazy and tried to clone everyone.

The teleporters work as inconsistently as the writers like. In TNG, Broccoli was self-aware through the whole teleporting process, implying continuation of conscience in both ends of the teleportation. The teleporters don't send raw data for the matter replicator in the other end, they send a beam of space magic, so they could work in any nonsensical way possible. On the other hand destructive analyzer/matter replicator combo could also still potentially maintain the consciousness by simulating the link between molecules on both sides of the teleportation. This would still enable the cloning fuckery if something went wrong in the process.

So either you decide that the people in Star Trek and materialistic fatalists who don't care about getting killed every time they don't bother walking back to their quarters as long as the person outside world views as them continues to exist, or they came up with a solution to handwave it all.

guy working on this used to work for bungie

he might be alright

Throw in some semi-realistic spaceship designs and my dick is diamonds.

And by 'semi-realistic', I mean.

They never implemented dogfights

They half-assed it without actually examining the physics of dogfighting and figured that the key to good dogfights was as simple as slowing yaw turn rates so you always had to pitch into your opponent.

The actual physics of dogfighting exist in the play between a variety of factors:
1. Lift
2. Atmospheric density
3. Gravity
4. Engine power
5. Mass
6. Weapons

In air to air dogfighting you do not just simply point your nose at the badguy and shoot him. You have to manage your actual (kinetic) and potential energy to gain an advantage over him in turn/speed/climb (ie an energy advantage). That's what all the dogfighting maneuvers are about; energy management.

In space - you have none of this (at least in the context of space fighters). There is no high altitude, there is no up or down. You cannot dive to gain speed and there is no air to generate lift or induce drag. Space fighters in literally every space fighter game I've ever played, boils down to the following: You are a flying turret, your goal is to either kill someone before they even see you, or get into a jousting match with them and hope for the best. There are no maneuvers, there are simply jousts. If someone is on your tail, you spin around and shoot back at him, turning it into a joust.

Space fighter games try to deepen this "gameplay" by introducing rock/paper/scissor mechanics in the form of equippable weapons or modules. After playing actual fighter sims though, it's painfully simple and boring. Realistic fighter sims have TTK measuring milliseconds, but the actual fight can be several minutes of maneuvering and jockeying for a position, which is what makes it engaging and fun, the kill is just the final reward for that dance.

I can enjoy space fighter games, but I don't LIKE them. They waste an opportunity. If you really wanted to go the fighter sim route - look at what makes the environment of space unique. Nobody ever fucking does this though. If they even put any thought into it at all, it's just "Make space fighters!!" with no actual understanding of what, how, or why that would be a good or terrible idea.

bill nye's a jew

surprise surprise

archive.is/Nl7f7

Apparently Star Citizen plagiarized artwork? Any anons got word on this story?

Are there any realistic multiplayer space vehicle games? Like ones where you sit on your vessel going ludicrous speed, get a notice from the sensors that an enemy has been sensed, accept firing solution and shitpost in the chat for a few minutes until either of you explode.

youtube.com/watch?v=9kQUk3nJ6Pw

>ayy lmaos are either unknown, known but too far away to make a difference or have believable but different from human shapes whose evolution is also explained

vid link: youtu.be/B7QF0QsjkY8

so what are your thoughts on Dual Universe?

Literally no substantial info, so I don't know yet. But I genuinely thought it was Space Engineers until it showed the title, so I'm pretty okay with that. I will literally never buy Space Engineers because I'd rather kill myself than give money to Keen Software, so this could fill the gap of that game for me.

I do wish there was a civ/4x type game where you manage just a single solar system with your home world, with end game consisting of mega projects like completely autonomous asteroid mining complexes, particle accelerators measured in solar radius, dyson swarms, and just bigass multi-mile long starships that can accelerate up to 90% the speed of light

Another Sperg Engineers?

an artifact of the mathematical models
They don't actually exist

By all means, enlighten me what we've been looking at for the past few decades.

Even though I really do like shields and all that shit that is fantasy dressed up as sci fi, I don't understand why they don't design at the very least civilian ships like that in those settings. It would be cheaper to have habitat modules that take advantage of centrifuges rather than artificial gravity, and that would free up more energy for other things like controlled conditions for more cargo.

I could still see the equivalent of luxury yachts/private jets for big shot government and business officials using ships that have artificial gravity installed.

Haven't we never actually seen a black hole?

getting hit is for faggots.

To a certain extent, correct. Direct observation of an object which absorbs all light is essentially impossible. But there are other ways to detect them. Astronomy often makes use of indirect observations, where rather than light directly from an object being observed, its effect on its surroundings is instead.

For one thing, gravitational effects on nearby objects. We have observed a number of stars orbiting the object in the center of the Milky Way, which provides a measurement of its mass, and based on closest approaches we can put an upper limit on its size.
More directly than this, we can observe the effects on matter actually falling in to the black hole. The accretion process generates immense heat, which produces observable light across a wide wavelength range. Most importantly, x-rays and radio, since those are relatively uncommon compared to other bands.
Emission in a number of bands, including x-ray, radio, and infrared, from the center of the Milky Way, almost exactly at the same location as the small and very massive object known from stellar motion, agree with what is predicted for a supermassive black hole. The fact that these emissions are not all perfectly centered on the object also supports the hypothesis.

More recently, we have even more direct evidence for black holes, in the form of gravitational waves. The results last year from LIGO indicate a collision between two objects of 36 and 29 solar masses. The measurement indicates that the objects had a separation on the order of hundreds of kilometers just prior to the collision. This is comparable to the size of a black hole.

Haven't we also seen some gravitational lensing in the centers of nearby galaxies that can't be explained by just the masses of the visible stars orbiting it?

I know there's been plenty of discussion about the idea of using lensing. I don't know whether it's been done yet, but it is definitely something that is being looked into.

I know of one idea which is use our own sun as a super telescope, but it involves sending a probe 5x times the distance voyager is now to do it

Just to make sure my meaning is clear, I meant using lensing specifically for detecting black holes. We have made excellent use of lensing for other purposes.

As for using the sun, there are a few things that make it impractical. For one thing, it's plain hard to get a probe out there, even harder if you want to do it in less than a lifetime. Once it is out that far, power is a challenge; solar is ineffective and nuclear is time-limited. Voyager's plutonium power source will run out long before it gets even half the necessary distance. And once you go through all the trouble of getting this telescope out there, it would only be able to observe objects directly behind the sun. You would be unable to use the telescope on any but an extremely limited number of objects. In an orbit of the sun at that distance, it would take 36 years for your viewing angle to change by a single degree. It's just not a very practical way to observe, even if it would allow unprecedented resolution.

That's not to say a telescope in that position would be a bad idea. Astronomy is severely hampered by only having one line of sight. The earth's motion around the sun is already indispensable, and that's only a 2 AU change. To have a satellite at 550 AU would permit incredible measurements of things like stellar distances, as well as the chance to look back at the solar system from the outside.

as long as it's better than spess engineers i might get it. I just hope they cash in on space engineer's mistakes while improving on what they did right, which assuming that's not a heavily scripted tech demo should be easy for the developers if they try

pulsar is exactly that, we had some threads with pirated versions but they died down. The game is fun but there's not much to do and it's an early access

Pulsar was only okay for the novelty effect that wore off after like 20 minutes.

Make Hissho Great Again!

I think getting inspiration for both the society and aesthetics of an alien civilization from the same human culture is pretty lazy. That stuff is just too coincidental to explain plausibly with convergent "evolution".

That's not the SBY-01 user ;^)

One of the PS2 Yamato games turned Kodai's brother into Captain Harlock like he was fucking supposed to

Yes please!
No thanks.

I don't think many devs understand the appeal. Science fiction has such a great potential for gomfy things but it's hardly ever taken advantage of.

What space…y games there are where you can actually explore your ship on foot a little bit and perhaps even go for spacewalk outside it or some asteroid,satellite, space station or similar?

I like space but i dont like how most games spaced on… well space are only about you controlling your spaceship usually in 3rd person shooting shit up, gathering minerals or such shit in the vast space instead of stopping for a while to explore something that's actually on space and not on planets from abandoned ships to said space stations etc.

I really liked the start of Kotor 2, really made me feel like im in space.

Not that many. Space engineers has that and I think it's comfy as fuck to EVA around my station in low Earth orbit.

We might get something close to that in Star Citizen too at some point. I have hopes for the planetary landing thing and will set down on an ice world and drink hot coco while looking out at the white wastes some day.

Neat, i've never checked that Star Citizen until now and i actually got a bit hyped.

What irks me in most rpg's like Kotor or Shit Effect is that while the game has space and space travelan into it hammered quite a bit it's mostly just hopping around from one hub planet inhabited by humans and near-humans to another.

I'd chill that hype if I were you. I'm massively optimistic about the game myself but you just know that they're aiming too high and being too ambitious. If you're not already emotionally invested, I'd come back in a year or so. Still, I'm having fun.

Space engineers is the best bet for what I think you want that I know of. You get the silence of space and that feeling of fragility as you manage your oxygen farm in orbit and that quick moment of terror as you accidentally press the wrong button and vent your whole base into space.

You've probably already tried Kerbal space program. It's tranquil and comfy too but the lead dev recently split and there's lots of drama so it'll probably sink fast.

Developer incompetence, publisher malice, and community drama has been par for the course for KSP since approximately fall 2012.
How'd Squad fuck up this time?

Harv left.

I am surprised the lack of good space horror?

What the fuck?

I mean I could understand if you were tricked into being hyped during the Kickstarter years ago if you were a complete dumbass. But you're getting hyped NOW?

He probably doesn't know about it user.

Yeah, that was really atmospheric. I would recommend Rodina and Outer Wilds, they don't feature very big ships though. I don't think any game has really captured what you're looking for except for a few glimpses in a couple of games. Adrift looks sort of promising but it's very contained, seems like it might nail the atmosphere though.

bam

Space bump