Discuss old and new crpgs, primarily isometric style ones

Discuss old and new crpgs, primarily isometric style ones.

I've been playing Underrail for the past week and it's probably my favourite of the new gen of iso crpgs, I love the pseudo metroid style map design that involves me getting lost in the caves and ending up somewhere familiar and the ability to place traps helps balance out weaker stealth builds, I spend most of my time raping faggots caught in my bear traps, The breadth of ways you can approach situations is great too, I don't care for the stat/skill system though and the game is pretty unpolished, it's not hard to accidentally miss click on your own traps and walk into them.

I've also just found out about a new game coming out early next year called Copper Dreams with a kikestarter, but I won't link the kikestarter but I will link the game's website, it's made by the creators of Serpent in the Staglands and it's a cyberpunk rpg based around stealth, it has a low poly aesthetic but I wouldn't say it's good low poly. The game is also going away from a standard hit point system and is instead using an injury based system which sounds interesting.

copper-dreams.com/

I haven't tried Age of Decadence, is it any good?

Not really. The concept of the world and class origin stories tying in are interesting at first, but then it goes into tryharding muh grimdark mode. Combat is just shit and the rest goes with skill check and min max character development. I would say that Dead State made on the same engine (and by the same team I think) is far better.

I've only ever heard that Dead state is absolute trash, I didn't much care for the beta I played, it seemed like running the base was pointlessly complex because the NPCs couldn't practice even basic fucking restraint.

Age of Decadence has the best choice and consequence and world reactivity I've seen in an RPG recently, though it's not perfect.

What? AoD is basically (post-apocalyptic) Detroit set in the times after the fall of the Roman Empire. Nobody gives a shit about you because they don't have a reason to. It's basically the Gothic treatment.
Combat actually has some depth to it (basically building upon the combat on Fallout) by giving you a reason to target anything beside the eyes, and other weapon categories actually play out differently.
You're right that the game is more forgiving on pure classes than jack-of-all-trades classes, though since the game is meant to be replayed as you cannot get everything on your first playthrough, I wouldn't really call that a really bad thing.

The ailment system looks like something I came up with once. A shame they made the system work differently for NPCs and PCs.

Dead State and Age of Decadence are made by the same fucking guys?

How hard is Serpent in the Staglands by the way? Is it one of those neo-grognard games that think removing the quest journal and forcing you to write shit down by hand makes it 'better'?

Age of Decadence was alright, but not really anything special. I usually don't even like isometric RPGs, especially the original Fallouts which I hated. Underrail was a fucking amazing game, though and I loved it.

I thought Geneforge was cool, but ended up stopping because I kept getting stuck when I had to find a certain character to talk to since every fucking character had exactly the same sprite.

Never heard of Serpent in the Staglands, but I'm looking at it now and it seems interesting. Will probably play this soon.

Anything else I should play? Probably Baldur's Gate I guess. Or would I most likely hate it if I can't stand stuff like Fallout 1/2?

That would explain the incredibly boring, uninspired feeling they both share.

I liked Dead State, but then again making npc factions fight each other is my fetish

I kind of liked Dead State.

I was probably just disappointed because all I really wanted was something more like Fort Zombie. I don't know why everyone hates on Fort Zombie so much.

I never played Fort Zombie, what's it li-
Go fuck yourself.

WHY

??

Is this some sort of fucking joke? Computers are not capable of compelling level design. "Every playthrough is different!" is the best crock of shit in the history of videogames. 'Every playthrough is different!' at the cost of them feeling the fucking same, so what the fuck on earth is the point? Shit, I even hate it when loot is randomly generated. I demand a handcrafted fucking experience. It's one thing for my fucking clothes to be mass produced machine made shit but that's a bridge WAY too far when it comes to art or entertainment.

That's exactly why it's better. ESPECIALLY in a zombie-survival game. How the fuck you can defend a static world IN A ZOMBIE SURVIVAL GAME is beyond me. It completely goes against everything that makes games like that fun. It's why Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead is still the best zombie game out there.

They don't though. Unless you mean feeling like the same game, in which case yeah. Because you're playing the same game.

The fuck is wrong with you? Loot-based survival games are ONLY good when procedurally generated. Otherwise, what's the point? If they're static and you can just learn where everything is, then the game feels more like a chore and less like an adventure.

If there's not at least some level of procedural generation in a survival game, then it's not worth playing.

Bullshit and fuck you for even suggesting that marketing bullshit is true, you ought to be shot. The fact remains computers aren't at the point where they're capable of compelling level design. They probably won't ever be there.
Helloooooooooooooo cancer. Enjoy No Man's Sky, fuckboy. If every playthrough really is different you won't need to buy another game ever again, will you?

I don't know what "marketing bullshit" you're talking about, but what a great argument!

Except that makes no sense because whether procedural generation is good or not is entirely 100% up to the skill of the programmer, not the computer. That's why there's such a massive gap in quality between genuinely impressive things such as Dwarf Fortress where an entire world and its history is generated and complete garbage like Rust where it's just some shitty ass map.

This is an example of a developer with no skill. Just because procedural generation got "trendy" and shitloads of terrible developers jumped on the money wagon doesn't mean that procedural generation itself is bad. No Man's Sky is NOT a good example of procedural generation.

Most good examples of proceudral generation tend to be roguelikes, but there are other good procedurally generated games. For example, maps in Age of Empires 2 multiplayer/skirmish are completely procedurally generated, and it's one of the best things about the game. Literally no one would ever play any Civilization game if it wasn't for procedural generation. No one would play any 4X without procedural generation. Elite (older ones, fuck E:D) were great games, and they were procedurally generated. There's also Shores of Hazeron, Terriara, and (hopefully soon) Limit Theory as a few more examples.

It's not really fair to hate an entire design method just because there are bad examples of it. As a programmer, I have a shitload of respect for people who make good procedural generation, because it's a lot harder than buying a script off the Unity store like a lot of bad devs do.

Follow me and I'll tell you everything you need to know.

They're not.

This is why yall don't have bfs.

What about the Circle of Eight Modpack? I have ToEE but only played a little of it. I'm trying out Ultima 7 with the Exult engine right now.

And I know it's not isometric, but someone mentioned a difficulty fix for Gothic 2 Gold (with Night of the Raven). Anyone have a link for that? I was never able to find it.

Pic semi-related, but I'm glad it doesn't seem as true anymore.

Co8 is mostly about adding stuff which can be pretty hit or miss. Temple+ focuses on engine/game/ui enhancements and it doesn't add any "custom" crap, just stuff that's already in D&D, like Disarm and whole leatsa new feats.

Yes that game is for homosexuals. That is why it isn't mentioned.

ur ghay

Well no shit, how is he supposed to make dosh without you participating in his schemes?

Premature quest endings usually give you similar amounts of XP than the drawn out resolutions.

For example if you are Prator your can stay loyal to the shitty poor house and get 40 skill points and miss out on dairus tomb and all the other stuff.

Not as gay as the characters in ToEE. Faggot.

You mean the party you create?

Whatever kiddo. Can you Min/Max in that shit I only beat Master then dropped it like a tonne of bricks it was so bad.

It's fucking D&D

Joke's on you, I replied IRONICALLY :^)

You can beat his thugs with a hybrid easily.

I did it with 6/8/6/8/8/4 character and if you make a combat pure it is trivial and fun.

I am a paragon of quality posting unlike yourself he'd be insane to not reply to me.

How am I so good.

Well, you have to survive, I don't remember, 90 days or something, so building up your own independent resources is justified. It also works in sense of showing game progress - at the beginning you just scrounge scraps from already robbed stores but in the end you can make prepared for anything trip to the most dangerous places.

Dead State is far from perfect but I liked the fact it was focused on characters dealing with the apocalypse. Except one location I don't remember many bugs. It's a game that deserves well thought sequel.

That would be nice except these moments when people do something solely to fuck with you. Like this guy who tries to poison you in some ruins. Or this fucking bandit who travels a great distance just to find some ruins, feels they are important and starts to act like a fucking security guard, charging anyone who comes. Give me a break. It comes across like tryhard level to make world more brutal
Yes and no. Treating player like shit was initial storytelling device, yeah, but then character rises to power. In this game you are treated mostly in the same way. I played a fucking praetor and couldn't even get support from my buddies to fight my lord enemies on his own lands. I played as an assassin from the guild consisting of weak ass members. And then you get loremaster who magically puts some points into long forgotten wisdom and suddenly knows how the ancient devices work. Onward, let's pass all these lore checks! Ehh.

I really appreciated the initial feeling of the lost world and the ambiguity (like the time you speak with one npc about war with supposed daemons who were in fact elephants) but then you just have rockets, robots and stats stealing lasers. It was really final nail to the coffin.

I don't like the themes of these crpgs

is there any Oriental themed crpg ?

No, and there never will be because Asia is shit, no-one likes it there not even the gooks.

what about central Asia the middle east , Russia , the south east Asian islands , the black sea countries , china , japan , the Tibet, India etc…
Asia is soo diverse yet underrated as a Crpg setting
the only semi-oriental crpg that i know of is dark sun

I'm just shitposting, I actually liked Jade empire in spite of all it's faults especially the pacing.

I guess it's time to go ahead and make your own crpg set in the orient.