Are there any games that are fun because they are unbalanced?

Are there any games that are fun because they are unbalanced?

Name me one game that's fun because it is balanced. Not "a fun game that's balanced", a game where the balance is vital to the fun.

Morrowind, since you can alchemy yourself into a god within minutes if you know your shit.

USF4, since outside of maybe 1 or 2 matchups pretty much everyone in the game has a viable chance of winning if you have any kind of skill.

The night I discovered this had laughing hard enough to shed tears.

I found a video of this. Watch this poor faggot lose to this monster starting at the 10:30 mark, and you can imagine how fucking dangerous this monster is.
I fucking miss shitty games like this.

BRING BACK GARBAGE-TIER ANIME FIGHTING GAMES

your only crappy anime games will be full-price Koei-Tecmo musous based on shitty FOTM shonen shows.

EVO WHEN
but at least we will still have steam weebshit, right?

Ace of Spades (now called Build and Shoot since some kike stole the original name for an incredibly retarded spinoff) before the SMG got added

Who is she?

It won't be the same until the far-off day when friends gift friends shitty anime fighting games. No ill intent and offense taken if you never pick them up after the first boot, too.
We need to recapture the cancer.

Don't remind me.

You got my attention, with that image.

Draw some more, and you'll get some answers.

I fondly remember enjoying that show on Toonami when I was younger.

do all star battle count?

modern warfare 2

Morrowind. Make a potion that boosts your strength to over 20,000 and then hit someone so hard it makes your weapon fucking explode.

Civilization comes close, because it's not very fun when you're losing, so naturally it's much more enjoyable when the game is unbalanced in your favor. Unfortunately, when that's the case, it becomes very easy to do so well that winning becomes trivial. The ideal is when you're doing well, but victory isn't even remotely guaranteed, which happens pretty much never.

Splatoon. This is because the most unbalanced weapons in the game - both the weak ones and the strong ones - tend to be the most boring to fight against and alongside. If the game were to become more unbalanced, it would probably come from adding more of these unbalanced, boring weapons. Thus, the less balance there is, the more boring it gets.

I think one of the greatest achievements of Splatoon's design is that every player, even an unskilled one with a shitty weapon, can find something of value to do. So, yes, I would say that Splatoon is fun because it is balanced.

Oh my god I went to highschool with her.

Kelly

Kelly? Fuck me, I used to bang that whore in 8th grade. Loose af

Unbalanced like the anatomy of that drawing? Jesus christ.

This makes me miss the times where you could get some bullshit vidya developed by nobodies and still have fun with it. Nowadays you're lucky if it's not a walking simulator or an indie platformer.

All-Star Battle is awesome, it's just got the worst launch imaginable and no one online to play it. Also it's made by Namco Bandkike, so that's some quality dlc and online shit and silky smooth 30 fps lock. But it's still pretty legit on local.

Anyway, my additions to the list are Super Mario Strikers and Mario Strikers Charged. Just use boos and any fast character and you're immediately in the top tier list of players. Or if you wanna be fun, farm the ball's charge and pass it to your only forward and score the same way all the time while laughing uncontrollably at your salty mates.

It's 2016. Isn't it time to say goodbye to body shaming?

The souls series and bloodborne.

/thread

Advance wars

Advance Wars DS single player
Not only did you get 2 of the best characters (Colin and Grit) in the campaign, but the campaign even gave you perks to make yourself even more broken.

Playing multi against the top tier guys absolutely sucked though.

My fondest memory of the Advance Wars series was beating my buddy who was super into the single player campaign by using him against Sonja in a FoW match, the guy was so used to blind APC fighters that I baited him into moving his base up into my half of the archipelago while deploying three transport choppers loaded with basic infantry. Dropped the series and talks about it for a week.

planetside 2

I fucking loved Strikers, but you're forgetting an important trick:

Personally I stuck to Koopas, Monty Moles, and Shy Guys because they were my favorites back then.

SOTN, Morrowind.

Shit taste

Sm4sh isn't fun because it's unbalanced, though. The lack of balance detracts from the fun.

this
I love bayo so much, every time I fuck someone up they start typing stupid shit on the name thinguie

I don't think so Tim,a lot of people preferred Mario Kart 8 over this game, even thought they did care about the shit roster.

Did she got nerfed?

Yeah, but I'm not sure on the specifics.

Personally, I hated Cloud more, and the sheer volume of obnoxious Clouds and Bayos got me to finally stop playing Sm4sh. I heard he was nerfed too but probably not enough that I'd consider picking the game back up.

Nintendo is shit at balancing so now Bayo can't combo, or at the least it's hard as shit to do so. I never played her or had issues playing against her, so I don't really care about that.

What bugs me is that they completely crippled a character's entire gimmick to make faggots stop crying. It's like if they just decided to remove Cloud's entire Limit Break mechanic or removing Samus's Charge Shot.

To me, when the plague of Faggot Emblem spawned, before this DLC shit started.

Just use Bayonetta against him, he is like Little Mac with a sword.

Red Alert 2. I mean, everything was so OP it was balanced. But it's the best I can think of.

I did not like Bayo but her entire point was combo-ing, she's from a game where the entire point is combo-ing. That is nonsense. I may have hated her but I didn't want her completely ruined.

I forgot about Corrin. Honestly after the first week or two I realized they're all pretty terrible, they usually only get me when they pull some surprise bullshit out of their hat. I forgot how massive their smash attacks are, or that they have a counter, shit like that.

I made a promise to myself that I wouldn't buy a single bit of DLC unless they brought Wolf back. So I won't be buying anything at all, ever.
Though I'm okay with that because the only character I even kind of wanted was Ryu and I know I would suck with him anyway.

Gonna second this, for a game which just had one gun and some blocks it probably had the largest variety of tactics and surprises i've seen in a multiplayer fps.

I play R.O.B./Game&Watch/Pac-Man because I'm an asshole, and I have an easy time beating Cloud & Bayo, especially post-patch.

Exactly. That thing she did where she carried you to the ceiling then Side-B'd you twice? Near-impossible to land now, as you'll more-than-likely just fall out of her Up-B.

You bitches should go back to the kitchen

Nigger, this thread is for games like Brawl Minus or Mahvel that are so broken that everything's balanced. They're fun.

Let's just say I make a multiplayer shooter where there's one gun in the game that is blatantly better than every other gun in the game. Whomever has this gun wins, basically.

Now everybody is forced to pick the gun just to stand a chance and the game is no-longer fun because there's no variety.

You see wherein the problem lies with my hypothetical situation? Not all balance issues are just people whining. A lot of it is, but not all of it.

The greatest games, or most fun games, are the ones where everything is so blatantly op that it balances out.

'tis hard to do

morrowind alchemy

Well yeah, you can't complain about being insta-killed if everybody gets insta-killed!

Mahvel

Bitch, shut up and make make me a sandwich

Why did you quote the OP when you were going to answer him?

not vidya but if you've ever played tabletop Rifts then it's fucking insane

you can start as a full-conversion cyborg whose strength is so high it's almost meaningless, and can punch hard enough to deal megadamage and instakill anyone not in megadamage armour. wizards and such start off as shit and end up being unholy engines of total world destruction who can close gates to Hell, or open them if they feel like it, etc

it's got a pretty bad ruleset and there's a ton of stupid mechanics but the setting is so over the top and retarded that you can't help but have fun with it

Not many BECAUSE they are unbalanced. It depends what kind of person you are. Sandbox vidya can be really unbalanced but very fun at the same time. Balanced games are fun because you always have to keep in mind that there is a consequence to your playstyle. Though as a kid, the GTA games were fun because all of the cheats.

Anyway, a personal guilty pleasure of mine would be SC: Blacklist. It's easy as shit even on perfectionist, but it's comfy to play and learn the levels completely. Idk, it's hard to explain but the game has a very nice rhythm to it.

Wait, do you mean unbalanced against you, OP?

I hated that game with a passion but the fact that some characters were just OP was refreshing to see for once. Most games these days are balanced to the point where it doesn't even matter what character you are.

Orc kicking simulator is balanced around not kicking. and designed around kicking.

The textbook answer is that games should be a little unbalanced, so that there are 'first order optimal strategies', giving noobs a relatively high amount power with low effort. Then you make the stuff that is slightly better harder to pull off consistently. Low skillfloors are necessary to get people into the game, and get them to improve. Imbalance provides low skillfloors.

However, This game design not only caters to the scrub, but also creates them. "If i don't have to put in any effort to be okay at the game, then that must mean that i am really talented, right? I should be able to get decent without any effort, in this game or any other."
This obviously leads nowhere, but to eternal scrubdom.

Kind of scary thinking about how few games do it well.

smash bros with items on

chaotic shit can be fun

Once upon time Obsidian knew this lesson then they saw Bethesda making money selling shit. Instead of realizing that making open-world walking simulators and spending millions on advertising is the way to get them casual money, they pull this whole every build is viable bullshit.

I started to hate that game when I realized that the majority of people actually like to play with them off. Bunch of no-fun faggots.

This kind of thing is infuriating

Why does getting killed in a game make some people so butthurt?

IT'S OKAY TO HAVE A LAUGH SOMETIMES

This is why I can't play any smash game ever again. Fucking no fun allowed faggots. I want my goofy party game, not some fucking terrible fighter.

could always compromise and turn off some of the more bullshit ones like gustbellows, bombombs (only due to being bastards that fall straight on top of you) and heart containers (maximum tomatos are fine, but straight up 100% healing is annoying).

items are fun, but just like the newer mariokarts, some of them are just the opposite and can ruin a persons mood.

the guys i would play with would tend to turn gustbellows and some other items like the extra lives off, i sorta liked the extra life ones because they caused so much chaos

Russian Overkill

Don't forget that fucking beetle and the mothership thing, with those nigh-guaranteed kills. Absolutely horrible ideas. I know it's items but they shouldn't be 100% bullshit.

I'm still mad they took out the Fan.

It's really such a great casual party game too. Loved learning Melee with equally terrible people and just spamming theā€¦fuck the charge move or whatever and knocking everyone out of the ring with Falcon Punch or whatever.

My fun is better than your fun because I'm actually having fun rather than taking a party game to the point where only autists screaming random obscure terms and acronyms can actually find enjoyment in it
Imagine if I turned on CoD or some equally casual game for a bunch of friends, turned off all the guns besides the beretta and started ranting about some dumb shit like reload frames.

Just find friends who don't play it and are blissfully unaware of its autistic fanbase. It (melee, at least) really is fun.

well hey, if you find that fun.

I'd personally prefer going CQC only against machine gunners who can't aim

But that's exactly my point. The mindset of the average smashfag is completely hooked on forcing everyone to play in the most bland uninteresting way that only complete retards would find great. Put the autism to better use in a game that's actually designed to cater to people focused on shit like that.

Pfft, no, that's silly user. Why not just force the whole game to be what the tourneyfags want? And that's how Project M was made.

Smite was very fun back in the day when Guan Yu was new and before he was nerfed and had his looks, abilities and sounds changed.

I'm fine with them keeping their autism to a game that is designed for it but fuck hijacking a fucking series to get your rocks off on a fighting game meant for children and drunk adults.

I mean, shit, I still cycle back to mw2 to dick around with my buddies.

and you know what? It's fucking fun

COD is shit now, but god damn. Nothing like getting a 7 kill multikill with RPG-danger close

Or going riot shield C4 and just fucking with people

Advance Wars DS sucked dick. Easily the worst Advance Wars title. You fags need to play AW:DoR.

well theres fun to be had in using cheesy or overpowered shit and making people upset. but the inherent fun is in the mad, not in the unbalance

I've occasionally played games that I thought were better for awful balance. Most recently it was Highway to the Moon, an indie shmup that I initially hated. But after powering through it a bit and finding that there are absolutely game-shattering unlockables, I actually got a little fun out of it. If all that stuff were balanced, I'd never have enjoyed it at all.

I unno man I think you're taking your competitive gaming hatred a little too far. The magic of Smash for me is that it's both a silly party game to laugh with AND a top-tier fighter, when it's at it's best. Look at Melee and Project M: those games can be played just fine as a party and when you wanna ramp things up a bit, the fun you've had practicing in the for-fun matches actually prepares you for the more serious matches.

People shit on Melee and PM for only using a few stages but I think it's fine: they're choosing no items because it makes things more comp-y and they choose the stages that are the funnest and best for competitive. And you can really pick any character you want, it's just that at a comp level things get to the point where you really can't win with the lower-tier characters unless you're really skilled. The "my fun is better than your fun" thing is a good point as, they're having fun, too. They're just having a different kind of fun and while it might not be up your alley, you can still see them enjoying themselves even if they might go about it differently.

Personally I find wavedashes to be mad satisfying in PM and I always love pulling off crazy combos in it. I really enjoy items too for when I'm goofing around and I want a silly kind of toybox thing to wind down with and laugh about with my friends, but damn if I don't enjoy playing with items off more. It's more about the rng of the placement and spawning of the items that unbalances things, and people just prefer to keep it simple and choose the simpler stages and shit. It's all in good fun, really. Don't let shitty people get to you, man.

Magicka

Zatch Bell/Gash bell is actually a really great series. Avoid the anime though, it's trash because

A: It ends a whole arc early
B: It has bad to merely okay art and animation, wheras the manga has amazing art
C: It sugarcoats a lot of heavy dark shit the manga gets into and badly censors injuries characters get.

The first arc is merely okay but once the second one starts to roll around it goes from good to great. You gotta be able to live with the fact it's just as much of a comedy as it is an action shonen though and can stand shlcoky power of friendship stuff, though then like a chapter later you'll have shit like kids trying to commit suicide so it evens out?

its less fun when you just steam lightning arcane everything

Reminds me of this.

How about a game that's so unbalanced that it goes full circle and every character/weapon/whatever is stupid powerful and fun to play?

Does such a thing exist?

FFTA
There are some stupidly broken classes you can use
Like make a team of assasins

Shit nigga you wanna talk about broken, grind up Dual Wield through Ninja and then go Paladin. Access to the highest-defense armor and some of the hardest-hitting weaponry alongside holy element.

Things get even fucking funnier if you go FFTA2 and add Parivir/Samurai to the mix because then you have access to basically every fucking element of magic in the game with basically no MP cost through Flair in addition to Paladin skills and equipment + Dual Wield.

TF2 x10.

You can still pick those ones. It's just that you might lose if you're not up to par with how to counter the crazy stuff. A third or so of the roster is still viable which is pretty decent for a competitive game.

I never said you CAN'T pick them. It's just that, y'know, they have weaknesses that you gotta make up for with skill.

perfect

Play Final Fantasy Tactics and they straight up give you a character (Orlandu) who can solo the whole game. Even the final boss melts like butter. And if you go out of your way, you can get even more broken classes.

It's the only TF2 I play anymore.

I remember my end-game team in that game. I could rob the enemy blind and win without the opposing team getting a single action. Though that required not using assassins exclusively.

Quake 3 Arena.

The only weapon I hate is the Kunai because every fucking faggot spy thinks he's the new youtube e-celeb sensation and dies about twenty times over trying to get a stab but when they do it killing them stops being a game and it starts being a chore.

Pokemon

Surprised nobody's mentioned Dota

Or fucking THIRD STRIKE Y'ALL IT'S STREET FITA THREE

I'm not shitting on the games, I'm shitting on the cancerous fanbase that forces "the right way to play" on me every time I want to play with them. I don't hate competitive shit, quite the contrary. But I'm not gonna keep quiet and play shit that feels like a kids game, competitively.

No Binding of Isaac or did I miss it? It is textbook unbalanced fun. The goal is to know enough to synergy yourself into a ridiculous run.

Probably because it isn't fun.

There is something very satisfying about completely breaking RPG systems, in spite of them being single-player.

Strangely I never liked Disgaea even though it's made for that kind of shit.

Balance and fun are completely unrelated.
If your question were to make sense however, dark messiah of might and magic is pretty fun and kicking completely breaks the game the game was made by ubisoft afterall, their playtesters probably had actual retardation as usual and never figured out they could spam kicks to victory because they don't know how to experiment
E-sports fags also make a huge deal of balance when they aren't even trying to for some reason see: RNG

the br version of zatch bell was bretty gud, somehow all BR translations are garbage except animay

Nethack
The rules applied on the enemies also apply on you unless you are talking about divine beings.
This allows you to use the body of a monster that petrifies on touch as a weapon to petrify every enemy.

Disgaea 1 isn't really built for breaking the game, I mean you can do it but it's not that worth it, you can use tactics to beat bosses up to 2k levels over you most of the times.
Now Disgaea D2 however, that game is made to be broken.

Literally all singleplayer games.

Literally all multiplayer games.

Bravely Default

Are you referring to paper-rock-scissors style balance? Because personally, I absolutely hate that type of balance.

When there's spikes to kick guys into combat's too easy. When there aren't, combat's a mess that seemed more like randomly trading blows than anything actually fun. Or alternately, you one-sidedly snipe dudes with arrows or magic and don't really interact at all. Overall I got very little enjoyment out of that game.

Almost every good fighting game or arena FPS

Maybe that's because you're not a pedophile.