Batman arkham asylum is still the best arkham game

Open world is a cancer, it's the third person cover shooter of game design.

You can't have claustrophobia and dread, two of the key features of Asylum in an open world game.

Ok

That'd why Asylum is only the first one.

I am rushing the main plot to see if the post-game content unlocks any fun but I ain't holding my breath here

not every game needs to be GTA.

or in this case some weird ass tank battle bullshit.

Is Arkham Knight still a garbage port? I want to pirate it but why even bother if it runs like hot shit uphill

About as great a title as "best call of duty" or "best pokemon game"

You mean one of those games with the braindead combat system?

get fucked.

Arkham was the best uses of a franchise I've seen one of the best games of the last decade.

It's a primarily a stealth game not a brawler.

Not every game has to be DMC3.

I thought the third person cover shooter was the third person cover shooter of game design

I like City the best because of the kickass Paul Dini story and loads of gadgets.

Strangely enough, the overuse of the batmobile isn't in the form of racing. There is some of that of course, but most of it is combat with the drones (which isn't any fun) and environmental riddles. Most of the progressing through levels you did with gadgets before is now done with the batmobile.

Yes, I bet it tries it best to take after Thief and Splinter Cell.

yeah no, asylum and city were fantastic, just don't play the other two.

asylum was also open world, the world was just smaller than the others. it's exactly as open world as the previous games.

it was also linear as fuck. isn't that something that Holla Forums hates?

fuck i hate this place

Linearity isn't automatically bad, DMC is linear as fuck but those games outside of 2 and the Reboot are praised to high heaven because it has depth. The opposite goes for shit like Skyrim, it's open and non linear but there jack shit to do and what you can do is more of the same boring shit that gets old very fast.

It's when there isn't any depth or challenge is where problems arrise

origins is pretty good.

nope

in Asylum it's just an overworld leading to the "dungeons", in City onwards there's an attempt at making an actual open world aspect which culminates in the god awful Batmobile.

The depth is the non linearity in the DMC games.

Asylum is very much a Metroidvania game.

It's fixed in the sense that it'll run fine (constant 60 fps) on a really powerful rig with at leas 4GB vram.
I even ran it on a 1GB GTX 470 and I only had stutter when moving too fast between areas, but otherwise kept a silky smooth 35 fps.
A modern rig would probably have no issues anymore.

But here's the kicker: you can't pirate the fixed version. The updated Denuvo when they rereleased it, and CPY basically said fuck it.

I used Felix method to be able to play it for free anyway, but it's still completely broken for standard piratefags.

That's true, I can play the game on my new rig but the various fixes (which includes the option to disable chronic aberration) aren't available for the pirated version. But I can attest a new enough rig can run it unpatched anyway.

No, that would be third person cover shooting.

You got four options to level design - Corridors, Metroidvania mazes, arenas, or a free roam map you can explore as you please.

Corridor is a bore-idor

Metroidvania isn't much better, you just get to choose which corridor you are currently traversing, and you may eventually find a path back to an earlier corridor.

Arenas are pretty, but small. The action needs to be constant if you're going to stave off boredom.

Open worlds are the greatest thing ever until you've explored everything (or even just a large chunk). You'll laugh at the pedestrian conversations, the stores and billboards making puerile sex jokes, and the sandbox physics. You'll marvel at the pretty shaders, you'll hunt the easter eggs, you'll explore to your hearts content…

And then, you'll abandon the game. There's nothing left to see. They're not going to add a new island with new content and characters and gameplay, that's it. You've seen everything.

And that's what makes Open World so sad. For the first 20 hours, you're in heaven.

And then the magic dies.

why does arkham combat get such a bad rap?

yeah, you can button mash through all of it, but you can do that in fighting games too and it's looked down upon as a noob strategy but nobody acts like you HAVE to play the game like that.

why is it such a sticking point in a 3rd person action brawler and not in fighters?

Which ones?

It's just a bad meme. They look at the very first fights in the game, think "hey it only involves two buttons and the enemies pose no threat!" and award themselves the medal of discerning genius without wondering if maybe the game gets more complex as it goes on. You can safely disregard.

Sure is.

Yeah, newer rigs never had a huge issue running it on low settings. It's always been playable, but unstable as fuck.

Part of the problem is that people just refuse to accept that their brand new card with 4 GB vram can still only run low textures. They feel insulted by it (rightly so).

But the motion blur is still fucked no matter what you do. The game also won't work at all on Windows 10. Plus the whole 30 fps lock issue.

But if you do have the newest hardware it's worth a pirate at the very least. Or if you know how to get into Felix stuff you can do the whole thing with the update.

you can't actually since they mix it up with knives, tasers, shields etc.

Plus the game rewards you for not button mashing.

It's a rhythm game in disguise. That's what makes it so great. You're supposed to time your attacks to get criticals and know when to switch it up to keep the combo going. It's extremely satisfying despite being pretty easy.

People try to treat it like it's trying to be Devil May Cry, but it really isn't the same kind of thing. Even WB Montreal made this mistake with Origins, where they completely bungled the freeflow.

You're batman, fighting thugs isn't supposed to be hard. It's supposed to be satisfying, and they hit the mark completely.

sure, but then when you encounter a knife dude you just mash a different button

and then when you encounter a taser dude you mash a third button

and then when you encounter a venom dude you mash the third button when he does a certain action and then mash the second button so you can mash the first button

see? all button mashing!

I remember playing Asylum for a small while, like 30 minutes, and for some reason the game felt like it was playing in like 0.5 speed. It was just so stupidly slow and Batman's rolling animation looked like the stupidest shit ever while slowed down so hard.

Still I want to give the series another shot but after shite like Shadow Of Mordor and The Witcher I'm just not too fond of the series' combat.

I strongly disagree. City was better. Basically this and this

Who fucking played those? I did it a few times and got bored. In fact, after finishing the story and get all the Riddler stuff I didn't touch the games again.

That sucks.

Kill yourself. I hope this is bait.

Asylum is the slowest in term of gameplay. You can get bored fast. If you do, give City a try. If you can't get into it, don't try anymore.

Open world indeed is cancerous trend. Batman suffered from it. Other examples: Witcher, dragon age, watch dogs, assassin's creed. And I'm surprised if same doesn't happen to next mirrors edge

You forgot to mention Metal Gear V.

The challenge maps exploited the mechanics to their full potential. Some of them are frustratingly hard, but if you did all the riddler stuff but never went after the challenge map bonus objectives, you made a terrible mistake.

wasn't assassin's creed always open world?

Open world yes, but I always thought missions. And while outside of animus(yes even first person walking simulator parts) were "better" and more memorable than pointless free-roaming collecting 100% of something.

Is this trolling?

surprising

I never understood how catwomen and harley quinn can fight guys, let alone fucking batgirl.

I'll admit, those 3 are pretty fucking hot, I dont understand how they can fight and expect me to take it seriously.

I bet you watch anime and think you are better faggot.

Open world wasnt the problem fucktard

You just got tired of the retarded casual combat and the braindead detective mode

Flying around doing puzzles on City was a better game than Arkham

Nope, the combat worked in the first game because you needed to sneak around

Post it then you faggot

Except by entering such an area from the open world.

Fagits.

There's nothing wrong with third person cover shooters if you aren't a scrub and actually play them at a high difficulty.
Go on tell me that these games are shit

This thread needs more Harley.

Don't upload the last two designs and you'll be doing good.

The guy in the bat costume jumping off rooftops and shit though, yeah, I'll buy that.

We are better than you Holla Forumscksmoker.

The only webm this thread needs

Gee I'd looove to argue with 16 yr olds burger flippers over their superior game design knowledge, even though none of you weak ass dickweeds can make anything even remotely resembling a coherent arguement when it comes to game design.

Soon as you utter these words, you out yourself as a tool, unable to even articulate your own experience in games to explain why something is shit or wrong.

It's fucking pathetic really. And I'm only saying this once, since this site is a lost cause.

are u ok

I agree with you, but nothing you've pointed out prevents the point he's making in that webm from being a good one. The arkham-style combat system looks flashy and polished but there's no substance or challenge to it, which became more obvious when it was ported hand-over-fist into shadow of mordor - webm related.

Harley Quinn's power level is all over the place. Sometimes she's a deluded Joker fangirl who can't really do anything by herself, and sometimes she's a legitimate super villain. It's weird.

Wow, someone's angry.

I personally don't mind open world gamepla but I believe they think games should be structured and that it's presenting you a specific gameplay experience.
Enemies will come out right where and when the game designers intend them to.
Certain areas of the level may change or a new obsticle will be put in the player's way at a specific time.
Having a game not be open world the game designer is able to tell a story and share an experience all through gameplay.

This isn't exactly the case with open world games. The philosophy with open world games seems to be "let the player craft his own experience" or "make your own fun: wheres with limited map games the design philosophy is "this is the exact experience we want to give you" or "this is the fun we are giving you"

It really comes down to personal preference and the type of game the devs are trying to make. But I don't mind either if they are done well

Was it always automatic? I swear that you at least had to aim Batman for attacking.

The real depth comes from fighting a large group of every enemy type and succeeding with a huge combo and no hits. Challenge mode is where its at.

The boss fights were kind of fun too. But just general enemy bashing is mindless as fuck

Totally legit reasons why Arkham City sucked:

1) They removed Batman being able to throw dudes.

2) They changed the punching sounds, so instead of manly bone-smashing sounds you get faggy bitch-slapping sounds.

3) The whole plot is you being Joker's errand boy and ends with boring anti-climactic bullshit that expects you to give a shit because a mass-murderer and one of Batman's most overrated foes bit the big one instead of you saving the day as the motherfucking Batman.

4) Solomon Grundy's boss fight fucking sucked.

5) Out of the craploads of buildings and locations scattered throughout the map, you can only enter about 3 or 4. The rest taunt you with close doors and barricaded entrances.

6) All the side missions suck. Goes double for Mad Hatter and Deadshot when you consider that WB Montreal did both of those guys better in Arkham Origins, Mad Hatter especially.

7) Stuffed to the brim with villains, half of which have no reason to even be there. **Ra's Al Ghul and the League of Assassins*

8) Story is all over the fucking place, with no coherent narrative and dumb plot twists out the ass. Protocol 10

9) Catwoman has short dyke hair instead of feminine long hair.

10) Half the villains are wasted. Hugo Strange

11) Soundtrack sucks fat elephant cock. Arkham Asylum's haunted-house-esque music totally screamed Batman, Arkham City's wannabe epic-movie-esque music totally screams dildo in ass.

12) Batman's cape is brighter and bluer.

I think open world games have a tendancy to try too hard to be a Jack of all trades, and end up being a master of none. I've come to the conclusion that I don't really want games in which I can do AAANNYYTHHHIIIING. I'd rather have a game that does one or two things, and does them really really well.

Open world games generally don't work because they try to walk a tightrope between presenting a pre-written story to you and letting you make your own story. Hell, grand strategy and Total War games are open-world in a sense - there's a big map that you can do what you like with and there's no plotline to progress. The story of the world is just whatever you decide to do - the campaigns you go on, the generals you groom for certain attributes, etc. This works because of the kind of games they are. They aren't trying to be 'immersive' or anything. Most 3D open world games, in contrast, place immersion as the number one priority, but inevitably the experience is hamstrung, either because they half-ass it and it comes out a complete mess (see all the garbage open-world survival games on steam that jumped on the DayZ bandwagon) or because they try to shoe-horn a story into it which conflicts with the story you want to make yourself (see Fallout 4).

GTA does it well by and large because it keeps the two elements very seperate. The world is completely static outside of missions - there's a definitive, pre-written story to advance, and you can also just mess around and have fun in the game world with no consequences for the plot whatsoever.

I think that's most people's problems with open world games. You have this big world that feels lifeless and the game itself doesn't really do anything that well. And there's so many things to "do" that you end up not really doing anything because you don't even know where to start

But seriously, Asylum's soundtrack is god-tier. I just went back to listen to it, and holey-moley, it's amazing how good it is. Like, almost every track is a guaranteed eargasm.

sauce?

Speaking of Batman and games…

Somebody's never played Arma…

That's the repeatedly press one button to kill everything in the room game, right?

There's the dilemma again.

How do you make a Batman game where you can't just instantly knock everyone in the room out?
You either come up with a bullshit excuse as to why he suddenly lost all his cunning and fighting prowess, or you make the game casual.

You can't make a challenging Batman game without turning it into something other than a Batman game. Devil May Cry with a cowl just wouldn't feel like Batman.
The predator sections especially nail 100% the feeling of being Batman, even though they suck as far as stealth gameplay is concerned.
Batman doesn't need to exert himself, so why should the player?

That's why there will never be a good Superman game either. Supes has it even worse though, because he's literally invincible.

And guess who's starring in their next yearly installment, Superman: Arkham Cashgrab?

Then get the cuck back to reddit! Thanks.

Detective games are a niche and the few people who like them don't want action elements.

"Detective" games are anything but.

The problem is, the player isn't actually smart or good at spotting evidence. So you either make it a minigame fest or turn it into a King's Quest game where all the fun becomes tedium.

I thought Origins actually did the detective stuff the best, although I would have liked a little less hand-holding PRESS X TO SOLVE THE CASE stuff.

Might as well make a full on preptime simulator at that point.