GTX 1080 or RX 480 Holla Forums? Which is your pick and why?

GTX 1080 or RX 480 Holla Forums? Which is your pick and why?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/channel/UCHXbDmbswY3xNOmzr5O3zgA
twitter.com/AnonBabble

RX480
Price performance ratio

Both are shit but Nvidia has better build quality although pricey as always.

1070 because the feature where you can move the camera around in engines and games that support it and take screenshots at whatever resolution you want, even past what your display supports is really fucking cool

I'm gonna make so many fucking ridiculously huge 7,000x13,000 pixel panorama's

Have there seriously been any games released on the past 5 years worth upgrading your GPU for? I mean fuck the price on those things is like buying a new console. What do you need it for? Where are the exclusives?

Everything worth playing can be played on an integrated graphics toaster.

yep that's how you report somebody you fucking spastic retard

I wanted to upgraded my pc around july to september anyway. So i'll wait for more benchmarks and releases. Buying now is just idiotic.

Let's say you upgrade your PC, then what?
What the fuck are you possibly gonna play that requires an upgraded PC?
The entire bulk of pcucks on Holla Forums play games from 50 years ago and then use their rigs to shitpost on Holla Forums all day?
What's the point?
The only smart people on this board are toaster race that only play retro shit and emulate.

I have neither of those, I use an R9 290 because I found it really cheap.

Yeah i agree with your point. I know that most of the actual games run on the highest setting on my 3 year old machine. But i like to have some reserves for newer games. That still use old fucking engines and run like shit on pc but hey then i'm finally able to downsample from 4k

-None
-No game really require any of them.

Neither. I'm waiting for the rest of the Polaris line(RX 490 specifically) to be announced before making a final decision. Until then., this 280X is doing just fine for most of the games I own.

If you can't think of any new games that would be worthy of upgrading your computer for it's because you've fallen for the "new vidya is all shit" meme. And there's no one to blame for that but yourself. There are plenty of games out right now and a few coming up this year and the next that are worth upgrading for. I'm not gonna give any examples because it's all down to personal taste at the end of the day. And I know posting in Holla Forums means that it'd just turn into people ignoring the argument and just attacking tastes in video games.
If you can't take the time to find news games that are worth your time than you really do deserve to stay on a tosater and only play retro shit and emulators. By the way, a good GPU helps with emulation too, dumbass. Especially if you're looking to do emulation of PS3 or WiiU and want to do any kind of resolution boosting.

I use a gtx 760 right now, gonna upgrade soon
I was thinking about getting a gtx 780ti for cheap on ebay or rx 480 depending on the price in Canada

I guess this is a good thread to ask in.
I want to upgrade my gpu but i'm both poor and not too much of a graphics whore.
What are some GPUs that are considered middle-high tier in terms of cost/performance?
Preferably nvidia because i've heard AMD isn't so great on linux.

So name some.

And for the record, i have a gt 430 right now, so really anything you'd offer would be an upgrade.

RX 480
I don't want an upgrade, but, if I had to get a new GPU for an reason, it might as well be the one that's around one fourth the price and still extremely capable.

Why did you bother arguing at all then? And PS3/WiiU/XBox 360 emulation still has a long way to go, I'd wait at least five years personally.

It's called piracy, you filthy, uncultured, watermeloneating, storestealing nigger!

That's how I know games can run on my pc and what's worth buying too.

No good games require them, anyway. I'll probably be able to play Serious Sam 4 and Bannerlord on my current rig.

you could look for a gtx 760 or 770 on ebay or if you want new get a 960

A 750 Ti is $100 and can play any game just fine at 60fps.

Nah, i'm just an autist who likes hugeass images

also

wew lad
Heres a few hugh profile games Im going to enjoy after upgrading my 660

-Total WaWa
-Dark Souls 3
-Stellaris
-Bannerlord
-Civ VI
-DoW3
-Serious Sam 4
-Deathwing
-Battlefleet Ghotic
-Shadow Warrior 2
-Endless Space 2

Plus
-All the unoptimized console ports
-All the old games at the same time
WEW

Bannerlord is probably the only worthwhile thing on that list.

>>>/gaschamber/

Trips

Also I'm thinking of going with the 1080 since NVIDIA has better compatibility with linux, that and I already have a 980.

We've been shilled a few times, don't you try jestin.

Because of better ganhoo+loonix support.

Stick to your containment thread.

it's already bumplocked fag

unless you just wanted to say hi.

well then

hey user what's up?

(((Mark)))

Only a naive child would say that. Taking a few seconds to throw together a post to reach an audience of nearly 3,000 is exactly how guerilla marketing works, nigger.

Listen up, faggot: I respectively disagree with your opinion. Many games on his list I wouldn't agree with either, like Civ 6 and DaS3. But SS4 and DW are something to look forward to if you like the devs that made them. He also shouldn't have even listed SS4 as the devs make sure their games are able to run on really low-end rigs.

Hey Mark,

Pick one.

kek amd

Says you, Bannerlord is great because its a finished action game that is also an autistic humongous timesink.
I cant wait to play it inbetween Sword of Moonlight sessions, but Ill be enjoying the other ones as well.

TotalWaWa and Stellaris probably dont count though, since Ill be waiting until they're actually fucking finished.

No reason to get Nvidia unless you like emulation or want to play the latest AAA releases day one.

It's a shame Nvidia is run by jews

Deathwing is nothing other than brand-wank for fans who's thirst for action-packed manchildren hour battle epic games warfare series can't be satisfied in a normal human way.

Ok

You need to leave this board son
Go play Overwatch with your Tumblr friends

console wars are cancer, I've always bumplocked em.

I've never played any 40k games before, I just like E.Y.E. and want to see whether the devs are actually talented or if it was just a fluke.

I'd really, really like to use AMD but I simply can't.

Their drivers are fucking awful and do not work. I was as careful as could be installing their cards. I had to RMA 4 times. Each time the driver simply would not work, and I am far from the only one with this issue as searches have shown.

There were many solutions, but none fell through. When I bit the bullet and went with Nvidia, the drivers installed correctly with no bullshit involved, so I just stick with them.

I'd really like to get that new RX card from AMD but I fear I'd be wasting money again.

What's it like, knowing that your taste revolves around a category of collectables which ranks lower than weebshit?

Really? That sucks.

But it's really funny when somebody complains about Nvidia cards I get really close to them and whisper "Hey user, what's that I heard? Is that the sound of Nvidia?"

You know because it sounds like envidia which is envy in spanish.

it's a shame, I'd switch from Intel to AMD if their CPUs weren't so shit.

yeah, they tried half assing the RAM in the 970.

fuck you

How is this console wars?
AMD and Nvidia are pandering to different audiences and both gove out a good deal for them respectively.

I could understand doing it if everyone was defending their brand, but everyone is just politely giving their reasons why they are buying one over the other, some even saying both are shit opting instead for a price drop on older cards or not doing it at all.

Your call, I just dont see the issue its the same platform we're talking about here.

stop defending shills
if you want to discuss consumer products do it somewhere else
SOMEWHERE ELSE

forgive me, I meant to use the term E-Wars. I'll probably unbumplock it soon

There is no room in the catalog for GPUs when we could have yet another reddit-tier template thread, or waifu circlejerk.

After all, this is Holla Forums with videogames :^)

>>>/oven/
Ive never used Holla Forums in my life cuckchan newfag.
This isnt 4/v/, merchant is used plenty of times you dumbfuck.

Enjoy your backlog, Ill enjoy it and new games.

nevermind, I take it back .

Nvidia

Welp I guess we batter not talk about video games at all. You know, consumer products.

I actually have an AMD CPU as a hold over from me trying to go full AMD. It was too late to get a refund for it though and my motherboard isn't compatible with intel pinsets.

It's annoying too because whenever I bring up that AMD has shit drivers and many people know this, shills just defend it saying it's either my fault somehow or that I just just buy another card and try again.

It kind of puts me off the brand even more.

Thank god this thread is bumplocked.

Now nobody will have to see how retarded you are.

you a fucking shill too? pirate everything
EVERYTHING
fucking shills

I never said this was a matter of money, but now that you've brought it up

They think a shill is anyone who talks about anything that is sold, but even then not really. I've had people call me a shill for talking about free fan games.

A shill is someone who is clearly defending a product or advertising a product for marketing or PR purposes and is clear as day. They dont know this though.

Stick with your toaster son, its been 4 years and I want a better performance.

Just bumplock again, the jaded fuck poorfags are here already to tell you to stick only to old games.

These two aren't even comparable you faggot

user should I get the new RX 480 or the noe GTX 1080?

You can already screencap at massive resolutions in Unreal Engine 4 by typing a certain command line. The nvidia method of doing it has to be supported by the game.

I'm going to be buying 3 intel cards.

I support the brand and I'm tired of no-money losers berating a well-serviced hardware developer simply because of personal issues.

This is unfair on everyone. Grow up.

I buy what I like.

Hell, I like you user, you can come over to my computer and fuck my memes.

BAN THIS FAGGOT HOLY SHIT

I build my PC 4 years ago (minus the 850 PRO), and it's still going strong and tearing up everything I want to play.

If jewtel ever gets their shit together and brings out new CPUs with extremely high single thread performance (something like 20% faster than the 4790k in the $400 range) I'll upgrade for emulation purposes, otherwise fuck it, I'm good.

I'd pirate hardware if I could.

TL;DR: I'm full of shit

Here's a visual representation of them both to help you decide.

Depends on what you need, if you want a card that will last you for some time but not on the highest settings and thats cheap, you go for the RX480.

If you want a card that will play most of your games at the highest settings for some time, you get a 1080.

All I care about is performance and Im on a budget, so the 480 fits my needs.

Still, since they are the first of the a new architecture and I would recommend you to wait unless you extremely need to upgrade

The whole Nvidia vs AMD war faggotry is dumb as shit to be honest.
It is true that Nvidia has done some anti consumer bullshit, but AMD has done their share as well, even if not as predominant.

They just want your money and AMD likes to score PR points, giving up Mantle to Khronos was great though, DX12 and Microshit is finally getting some compettition, and the slower we get to Windows 10 the better.

You mean, there are more graphics card companies?

He's not full of shit, he's just refusing to get baited into listing "good" games since contrarians will always nitpick the fuck out of any games posted, even if they love the shit of the game themselves.

No, now pick one goy.

I don't think civility & Holla Forums cannot coexist, at least not for long.

Like I said, my 660 is struggling, Im going to have to upgrade sooner or later and It might as well be during the summer when I take a week off and theres a shitton of national holidays.

Im choosing to do so, if your current hardware is giving you a good performance then more power to you.

Its not even console wars faggotry though, its poorfags, people that recently upgraded and jaded hipster fucks.
But thats to be expected

you are fucking stupid if you buy an RX480 thinking it will come close to a 1080

it only works well with DX 12 games there only 7 them at the moment. 90% of them get crazy ass bugs in DX12 mode

also Vulkan (API), one game uses it now. have fun getting shit FPS on all other games.

People are still buying Nvidia after all their dirty fucking jew tactics? Is this a hot new meme?

I know which one I'll pick every time.

I've literally had zero problems with my r9 390x
also
lol?

Thank you for proving my point. If you want to artificially limit your selection of games, go for it.

For now, i would get the 480.

1080 is a high end card, while 480 is a entry level card. I will wait for 1070 and 490 to make a decision. 1070 might come earlier, but still.

By not playing games developed to have a sabotaged performance for both competitor and a gen old models for the fucks of it or get people to buy your new shit, that's not a bad idea after all.
And WoodScrewsWorks totally isnt a cancerous piece shit, im rite ?

This guy's got the new GPUs covered
youtube.com/channel/UCHXbDmbswY3xNOmzr5O3zgA

I've recently switched to an R9 Nano, haven't had any problems with it. Are you buying something with aftermarket adjustments like PowerColor/EVGA stuff? I've heard those can have issues, despite EVGA being solid with their nVidia cards. Because you should really stick to higher quality brands like Sapphire if they're not just using the reference card. If it's a driver issue, then yeah, I got nothing.

I mean, I artificially limit myself from playing with shit, but I guess you're too enlightened for that.

Why wouldn't I play good games? That's like refusing to eat dairy because most shitskins are lactose intolerant.

It's unfortunate that AMD users get screwed over, but it's really not my problem.

Here, I'll get this entire exchange out of the way: Every game that you like is shit, and every game that I like is great :^)

There, I just saved us both some time.

This.

Crossfire/SLI is a shitty hacked together solution. You're never going to see the kind of crossfire scaling like AMD touted during their presentation outside of games where the developers worked specifically with the card manufacturer. And half the games outside of that won't even recognize the second card until a driver hotfix that takes 2-3 weeks after a game launches to come out.

That said, if the $200 RX 480 really does perform around level of a GTX 980, which we won't really know until we start seeing reviews, then AMD might have a shot at competing with NVIDIA this time around. Hopefully we get some news on the RX 490 when the press embargo lifts at the end of this month, otherwise it looks like they're just giving the high end market to NVIDIA for free this time.

I'll wait for the Zen before upgrading. I hope Vega 10 will be good.

Thanks I needed the laugh

Wait for Polaris 11 to come out, they've been making progress with Linux drivers as far as I've been told. Look into it. I believe the new drivers are called AMDGPU.

Zen architecture CPUs are coming out Q4 >current year. It's pretty likely AMD will be competitive again.

I'm using AMDGPU kernel drivers right now and I have only good things to say so far. Still waiting for the additional Catalyst drivers though.

It actually is your problem. If you keep rewarding Nvidia for their anti competitive behaviour you're fucking over the competition and ultimately yourself. If they had no competition at all we wouldn't be getting the sweet-ass cards we are today.

You can't compare two cards from considerably different price range. The 4gb RX480 will have MSRP of 199 bucks, the 8gb version something like 40 bucks more. The 1080 goes for $699, for the money you get one of those, you could buy 3 480s (of course it would be a retarded thing to do).
If you want to build a VR machine, dual GPU set ups are actually pretty efficient, for everything else, stick to a single card.
The 490 and the new fury might aim to compete with the 1080 and an -eventual- 1080ti respectively. For the moment, AMD won't be offering anything on that price range.
If you aim to play at 1080p like 70-80% of the people, a 480 should be more than enough to get constant 60FPS on pretty much everything, at 1440p, it should run some games well, some others with settings lowered. The 1080 is an awful purchase to do right now, but, if trends follow, the -eventual- 1080ti will be the better card at that price range and a good purchase for high end shit. Let's wait and see if AMD gets back to the competition on the 700-800 bucks range since the Fury X was underwhelming in terms of performance.