SS13 General - Lights Are Broken, Call The Shuttle Edition

What is Space Station 13?

Space Station 13 is a deep space simulation developed by the CDC to research into the isolation and containment of autistic individuals in the United States.

How can I play?

You can download the BYOND client or join our server directly from your web browser to play. The web client is presently unreliable, and we recommend the latest BYOND client for the best experience possible. The BYOND client is presently compiled for Windows only, though it is compatible with WINE. You will need a BYOND account to connect to our server.

Client Download-byond.com/download/

Web client: unsafe.space

Server Info

HateStation:
byond://ss13.unsafe.space:12345
Tickrate - 0.6 // Random Names ON

NewStation
byond://74.91.121.114:7777
Tickrate - 0.6 // Random Names ON

Wiki
8station.miraheze.org/wiki/Main_Page

Other urls found in this thread:

pastebin.com/FNgyH23a
pastebin.com/u445Tu4X
github.com/space-wizards/space-station-14
spacestation14.com/
spacestation14.com/wiki/Main_Page
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

First for Autism.

these 4+ hour autism shifts need to stop
i'm being dead serious

C'mon nigs get on, lets have some fun

NEW ROUND ABOUT TO START ON NEWSTATION

shift just finished and we're starting a new one. get in here faggots

NIG LING LOST BECAUSE HE FORGOT AN ITEM, NEW ROUND ON NEWSTATION COMING UP

How would you lynch a ligger?

I think its beheading or roast him in an incenerator (Chaps office) I recommend getting his body in locker and welding it before transporting him after you kill him.

OP, please. Bumping with something legitimate:
pastebin.com/FNgyH23a

also
wew

Wait, did I just post the spam in my post calling out the spam?
Fuck. Here's what I actually meant to post: pastebin.com/u445Tu4X

Good job

y-you too

Get pozzed

Fuck you.

no…!

That librarian last round was a swell gal, no?

Don't make me force you to lose "something"

m-my head? :3

One of your heads, yes

a-and hands and arms and legs and etcetera?

Who knows?
Is the thread really an appropriate place for this~?

Stuck in a body, stuck in a mind…

If only Nel was around to see this.

We were playing on Pizzastation

And before I had never known the punishment for falling in love too hard - you'll never set foot in this town again… why did you tell me to come in the first place?

u-um

If you shitpost in the thread, you deserve death!

I was the traitor.

A new form of erp has emerged from the depths of hell. Instead of erping in game, they erp in the thread.

god save us all.

*vores u*

The other thread still hasn't reach the bump limit…

I know it hasn't but the fact that new station wasn't on "the front page" was bothering and I thought we wouldn't really attract players if at the very least both servers were at the starting post.

Far as I'm concerned the last SS13 thread is dead because of the whole petty infighting thing as well as Newstation's address not being in the threads starting post.

All the arguments on the old thread are the player population thing. Fact is we WERE getting 20+ players on weekends but that died off pretty quick and now we are stuck in the limbo of long ass autism rounds on Newstation. It's not nearly as bad as Hate though, nobody plays on there even if our max right now is about 10 players it's still more than Hate's player numbers.

All that aside we need to attract more players, both old and new if we want our servers to be great again. I like my autism rounds as much as the next guy but I still miss the days of getting my doors broken down and getting bum-rushed by ayys or cultists.

To get the ball rolling again I propose we all join the server this friday night at 8 PM EST/4 PM GMT. If we have a standard time for these things people are more likely to find other players on to play spess with. If anyone can think of a better time post it quick so nobody gets confused later.

Neither of these concern the board and it's rules, it's still spamming the board with threads. Be patient next time or you'll risk angering the hotpockets and then there's no thread for anyone. And it's better a thread with the OP missing info than no thread at all.
And considering this thread devolved quite rapidly into ligger ERP, I fail to see how it's an improvement over the last one…

I told you you were gonna lose players as soon as bans started being handed and admins brought on the station.
I told you you were gonna lose players once the novelty wears off and if there's nothing new to offer the players besides "we are less shit than the other server! :D"

This is the 4th cycle and it's coming to an end in exactly the same way all the others did. The only possible variation that's still possible is that the servers don't merge and coders don't add nothing new leading to a quiet silent death. And considering how people in the administration of Hate are pretty much burned of this crap and BigSlice is not gonna merge ever, I guess at least this cycle will be the last one.

At least the shitpost will end, so there's a silver lining here.

At this point it would probably be best that our threads and servers just die for a while.

Round just started a while ago; come on and play!

Shitposting is common in any thread, it's expected.

Bans always happen but I haven't heard of any big perma bans, the most I've seen was a job ban and/or day ban. As for admins? There's maybe one that's on once in awhile.

You sound like a bit negative cunt m8, but as far as I can see is that people still want to play spessmen and those same people want to see more people play either old or new players. I never saw this kind of talk of hoping the servers just flat out fail when it was just Hatestation on the map (and had lowpop for a couple of months too), in fact everyone was advocating for more advertising and a return to Pizzastation numbers. Funny how this kind of talk only comes up when there's a "rival" server.

Maybe it comes up because the cycle never fucking ends, this has nothing to do with any specific server. This game does not have longetivity on Holla Forums the way it does other places.

Longevity*, I'm retarded

I think you posted this believing it to be a good argument, but it really isn't. Barely moderated stations die fast, which might just be what happened to new, considering how people were complaining 2 threads ago about griefers on the station.

Comes with seeing this shit happen so many times. Hopefully you'll never have to reach that point.
Are you getting that from the low population numbers you guys get? It's a bit non-sensical though, no? And if people want old and new players alike, they have other alternatives for that that give them a much larger population.
So either you're wrong here or you'll wish you were wrong.

See, this is probably the only part that really makes me sad. You had people that have been playing since the time /tg/ was actually good. That saw Nel, Pizzastation and every iteraction between then and now.
And all of these people saw exactly what "let's start a new server!" does every single time. I'd very much like to tell you "Well this one time it worked out well, here's why:" but there's no such case in history. And there's plenty of cases where it flat out failed.

If you've been playing only since Hatestation time and you don't even remenber the previous ones, that's okay. It's not like everyone must always remenber history. But when people tell you "this is a bad idea, it was tried 4 times before and never worked", instead of thinking you know better than them, maybe trust the veterans a bit here.
You know why history repeats itself? Because people refuse to learn from the past.

Before the change to Ministation and the code revert to /tg/ base, we actually had decent numbers. Are you honestly surprised that people don't concern themselves as much with advertising when they already have great numbers?
Your "rival" server isn't special. It's just another in a long line of attemps to change things with the only result being in reduce players in both servers. Advertisizing and "this kind of talk" don't come as an answer to a "rival server" but rather to the crap that happens because of it.

It's always some perceived problem with the administration that starts the cycle with people demanding less or different moderation, than someone starts a new server because "this time things will be different!", finds it's too much work or doesn't post enough mods and grief kills it fast. Or people get tired of a split userbase and go back to Hippy. Then either the rival server either keels over and dies or merges so administration can have the new voices assisting the previous ones.

And then someone finds something to shitpost about again, and the cycle starts all over again and it never fucking ends because some people have more fun shitposting about the game than actually playing it. And this is expected in Holla Forums, because this is a shithole where nobody likes anything, but what's not supposed to happen is for some dumb nigger to consistently believe in everything the shitposters say or to start a thread for that kind of people and then wondering why they aren't playing in your server.

You get the community you deserve and pander to. You made a server for everyone shitposting about Hatestation, that's precisely that kind of players you'll get not playing on your server. Have fun, see you next cycle.

Remove Clown

Tips for being a good mod

moderate
dick with people without using ban and kick (like spawning sheep everywhere or starting a kudzu invasion) and organize events often.
moderate
never permaban unless it's a hacker
moderate

This nigga posts this fucking pastebin on every thread

If only Koriath was here to witness clusterbang spam on an exosuit with a 40k battery.

If only anyone at all was there to witness that :^)

*ree

seven hours

this is down to a lack of antagonists

RIP Space Finland
:DDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD

I was the antag. Joined up at roundstart and I was the only person on the station, set up power and then went afk to go play other vidya/ have a barbecue. I came back six hours later, did my objectives, and was about to get greentext when these fags (>>9580024) vote restart with a shuttle ETA of 4 minutes.

Why aren't there more people in NewStation?

it's the odd hour where americans are going to bed and the Europeans are waking up

SS14
N E V E R E V E R
E
V
E
R

E
V
E
R

Graphics don't matter if it's not modular or easy to create content for. A game like this needs to be easy to mod for it to gain success and a consistant userbase. People are going to have to remake all the races and options for the new release, so it should work on using the old formats but improving the shit around them, like the lighting.

the SS13 Remake/SS14 has its source code open and is (allegedly) already no longer needing BYOND, but I'm not too sure about anything else on the project. Not to mention that it also doesn't help that several of the running websites were barely functioning a couple months ago.

going to post more SS14 links because why the fuck not
github.com/space-wizards/space-station-14
spacestation14.com/
spacestation14.com/wiki/Main_Page

So is /vg/station any good?
Also I really like 's idea of having a set time to party on new, it'd create 20+ player rounds which would give people a good idea as to whether they wanted to help build the community

Reading the /vg/ threads should tell you really all you need to know about the playerbase there.

And he still fell for it

Bump

Dropped

I don't like /vg/ servers becaus of three main factors:
1- the codebase is bloated to shit, to the point that many parts of the game are bypassed, such as simply killing and cloning people instead of performing non-trivial medical care.
2- the amount of bugs is ridiculous, and many of them are gamebreaking.
3- the community is really shit. If you don't have an established name that you built up over a year, you're considered more-than-valid (i.e. admins won't do shit if sec murders you just 'cause with no antag in sight, while if you so much as look in an established player's direction, you can get boink'd). This is even more of the case with assistants.

There's nothing wrong with static names :^).

tbh we should probably have randomized appereances.

Yeah, I agree. As I recall, the prime objection was the overabundance of pink-haired niggers when randoming appearance, but surely that can be tuned.

static names would be fine if there was a limit on how many times a name can be used, or something similar. Like having it available for use every X rounds.
Unfortunately I don't know if that's even codeable, and it would require hotpockets to enforce because people would just slightly alter the name to use it.
Maybe just allow players to use a named character every 5 shifts or something.

The benefit is that it would stop avatar fagging attention whores and that it would make genetics and mirrors actually useful.

Changing someone's hair is extremely easy once you've figured out what's the block that changes RGB values for hair/eyes/beard. Same for skin (000 is albino, FFF is nigger).

t. borg that made 2 genetically engineered waifus.

People would just use 5 different names and rotate between them. Unless the period is 20 rounds or something, that won't work. Beside, if you want to staticname, there's clown, mime, AI, borgs and MoMMIs (and I still think that's no good, someone else should be involved in the naming process and have ultimate power over the actual name).

It serves no purpose and does nothing.

Stations that feature Random Names have people recognizing their metafriends by hairstyle. You see niggers with the Afro hair in either pink or green, you'll see them meeting together and playing without exchaging a single word.

Special snowflake faggots don't even care that much about the name or appearance, they'll run to a mirror and switch the hair, since that's the only recognizable part and snatch whatever piece of clothing they want to make them special. That's why you'll consistently see the same "girl" rushing for cat ears or a medic that gets "Plague Suit" every round.

This is also just mentioning appearance but there's a lot of other shitty behaviour that some players engage in and the worst possible solution is to code some solution to prevent it.

Why not just ban them or fuck with them? Why are people such pussys when it comes to this? You have a server and you want to pander to crowd A while keeping out crowd B. Let anyone join in and if they behave like crowd B, fuck with them or straight out ban them.
If someone is being an egocentric ass that thinks he's so special, an admin should change his name.
If he murders someone just so he can get his costume, ban the fucker.

Everything else is incredibly petty and there's no reason to even be triggered by it. If someone is enough of a fag it gets on people's nerves, kick him out, if he isn't ignore it. How is this hard to understand or enforce? Why are people sugesting hard coded limitations just because of a few fags that can be handled easily?

It's not a limitation. There does not exist a good role that requires a specific appearance or name. On the other hand, an appearance or name, especially combined with a job, can be the basis for creative roleplay and foseter interactions between people (such as asking the geneticist for different-colored hair or skin, or requesting a namechange from the roboticist).
If appearance is random, then just changing the hair won't help because there will be many people with the same haircut. Faggots who run costumes everytime should, of course, be dealt with appropriately.
If anything, adding random appearances would ensure that people don't always spawn with the same appearance inadvertently, such as by forgetting to turn on random appearance in the character setup screen.

All this does is inconvenience people from changing their appearance pre-game while everyone is waiting. If they're going to avatarfag, they'll do it regardless of what you do, and this just makes it worse for actual players.

Also costumes.

What do you call limiting how much you can customize your character, then? Or limiting how many times you can use a name consecutively?

The point of names and appearance is not to fill a specific role in the game but rather as tools for players to roleplay with. It's similar to food or the library or the church.

A character naming themselves Yuki Tsundere and going full weeb every single round is annoying as fuck and should be dealt with. But straight out removing names and appearance customization because of that specific player also means you can't have Gordon Ramsay kicking you out of his kitchen, or Soap MacTavish as HoS, or House as a doctor or Sherlock Holmes as Detective.

It's harming other player's ability to roleplay because of exceptions to the rule and this makes no sense. Should we remove every part of the game that's mis-used by people as well? Welder-bombs, regular bombs, the singularity, the entire Science department, 2/3 of chemistry?
Or should we let that in and ban players that abuse that content in unfun ways?

Because the usual retort to "I can't play as Sherlock Holmes" is "Pray and an Admin can change your name". But if admin intervention is the answer, let them intervene with the fags and bother them, instead of requiring that I take extra steps to roleplay my character. Same reasoning with piratefags getting a better product than buyfags because developers look at everyone as a potential thief, just like admins look at everyone as a potential fag.

What does that have to do with changing appearance? A fully clothed person barely has any of his character visible, hair is the most visible detail on them, which is why fags focus on it. Having random appearance that you can change anyway with a mirror just means that every fag is gonna check the bathroom and play every role with the same hair anyway.

This.

Everything in the game is a tool. Some tools are used more than others, some for metagaming, some for roleplaying.

If a player's actions don't jive with the server they're on, the moderator should intervene to direct the player.

Is this ideal? Hosts are the only ones with access to raw IP addresses and are superusers, admins maintain the longterm health and community of the server by banning abusive players, moderators maintain the flow of individual rounds with events and making it fun and gentle corrective measures (round/jobbans)

lrn2read retard

Thanks for confirming you've never played the game.

Thank fucking god.

No. Maybe if you played the game you'd understand why.

I knew someone as retarded as you wouldn't figure it out from the first sentence of this post.

Later homo.

lrn2write then, because names don't "foseter" interactions at all.

There's Nutriment, Sugar and Vitamins, that's all food is. Sugar is more frequent but shittier to incentivize the use of a Chef. Nutriment is so abundant you can eat anything at all and it will do the job and Vitamin benefits are negligible.

Food used to be roleplay purely until some people argued that nobody was roleplaying having a meal, so hunger was included. However, the choice between eating burgers or asking for something nicer is still pure roleplay. There's no gameplay benefit between waffles or a burger. And proper food is still roleplay only since you can eat enough from vending machines and department break rooms you don't need a chef for several hours. You literally only hit the bar if you want to roleplay with the chef\bartender.

No, I don't understand why. The game is shit at giving you a role. The most you get is a job and some stress situation that happens several minutes into the round. It never hands you a character that you have to roleplay with and this idea that "random appearances" will give you a character you have to interpret and roleplay as are ridiculous. Appearance doesn't define a character, especially when appearance is a 32x32 icon.

Do you mind explaining how not being able to pick the name and appearance for my character somehow helps me roleplay a specific character or how the game provides a decent enough character for me to roleplay as?

No seriously, what kind of dumb point was that?
If people can choose their hair, there will be a certain amount of the same hair style around. If they can't pick their hair, they'll go to a mirror and pick the hair they want, leading to exactly the same problem.
Random hair is possibly worse as you'll get people randomly having the hair you want to have.

What, you're not posting here again?

Ah, of course, the clinically retarded poster is koriath. I'm not even surprised anymore at this point.

Oh, you're that fag that thinks anyone that disagrees is [boogeyman].
Well, no surprise you have no argument there or any understanding of roleplaying.

Someone gotta find Koriath and tell him he has a fan in the thread, since you can't drop that fag's name.

You two retards feel like you're both arguing the same points and wording it differently

new round comin up lil niggas

Nah, read it again. The other tard actually thinks it's fair to enforce Random Names for everyone just because some tard will use it to be dumb on purpose.

He also thinks people actually bother the geneticist for hair or skin color changes, as if he bothers with that or it matters when shape (that can be changed with mirrors freely) or just costumes matter much more.

so wait the community is back?

Maybe admins being able to force random appearance/name only for specific repeat offenders that are annoying would fit certain cases, but i rarely see cases annoying enough to need to do that. As it is now, im fine with having forced random names, but not appearances.
I wholly agree with I like being able to customize my character to some degrees and helps with light roleplaying if I know someone choose a specific appearance like hair color/style so I can either compliment them or fuck with them.

Aside from that, why aren't there things more things like barber or tailor tools in the game? Being able to forcefully change other's appearances is fun and done constantly ingame when people force certain costumes on others, but to hell dealing with genetics to do that.

One fag wants to force randomness because people identityfag, the other says that removing customization because such fags exist removes from the game and should instead be dealt with ingame/administratively.

Okay, so I'm not wrong either. They both agree that IDfags are being shitters.

I agree on mod intervention though

Think about ERP, but not in that way. How is ERP best dealt with? By removing *me from the game? By removing everything that can be used for ERP?
No, it's handled by spawning space spiders the moment someone comes, or blue space artillery if Ian's involved (it's a mercy kill). Even banning is a shitty solution and should be reserved to the really creepy fags, otherwise having fun with people is much better.

Same thing should be done with every other problem that comes with the game. If someone insists on his backstory about being ex-military, spawn some Syndicate Commandos around him, let him show off his military training. If someone insists he is a great doctor and annoying fags because "they don't know shit about medicine like I do" when he clearly doesn't, give him Brain Damage.
There's a lot that can be done with a little creativity at the expense of those fags and with the side bonus that regular players get to customize their characters freely with no problem.

And how do you magically spawn space spiders? Mod intervention. Notice I didn't say "banning". That should be reserved for strictly abusive players that are actually malicious.

Player-organized lynchings and fuckery is still the best

Fuck lynching, have admins that actually ban them, ones that despise metagaming like taft instead of some brazilian faggot that says shit like "I care about le community not the players" or "there's nothing wrong with metagaming if everybody benefits from it"

Oh yeah, because blinding them and restraining them to a bed in a straightjacket in medbay is so much better

I'm ready to get my spess mens on

Every time I look at these threads it gets worse and worse and fucking worse.

Here is a massive goddamn protip, no matter what you do the horrible things you want to prevent are going to still be there. There will still be dumb faggots metagaming, there will still be people recognizing each other across rounds for whatever reason, there will still be dumb faggots doing gimmicks you don't like, and there will still be the hated fuckers who are better at the game than you because you can't figure out a proper counter to their combat strategy

It's called not getting so booty blasted.

The problem with that is it isn't starting with a 1:1 port of the goddamn game we already have. For fuck sakes just start with that!

You forgot the IV connected to a bluespace beaker of diluted sleep toxin that gets replaced every so often.

Who could be behind this post?

Not whatever boogeyman you think.

You need to get the fuck off of this website if the lack of usernames is getting you this riled up and paranoid.

Anyone still online?

Never forget Octa turning a dead shitter into a Space Ninja with "Protect the Captain" and saying it was "just a coincidence"

When I first jumped from goonstation to tg's shit back in ye olde days I remember the big argument was over a specific static. A player who did the same thing every round when security was after him. He got the full centurian costume, spear and shield and all, and hid in a disposal chute. If sec walked by he shanked their asses.

Nobody knew how to counter that shit so they got buttmad day after day, thread after thread, until the admins eventually caved and banned him due to popular demand. Even for a month afterwards making a spear or having any spartan armor got people angry. All because someone happened to be better than them at the game doing one very specific thing.

And to think it's something with a super simple fix too. And after things calmed down? Someone else started getting noticed for being pretty good at robusting people. And people started bitching day after day, thread after thread.

As suggested I went and had a look at their thread, and you are exactly right about it being cliquey. A good 70% of the posts in the thread are about specific characters and their players.

To add to the random names debate, I think I agree that it is a solution which harms the actual playerbase of the server. If somebody is a special snowflake, just fuck with them until they change or leave. It's always fun to roleplay like said, as a character that exists in real life or other fiction. Random names is like removing the singularity because some fuckwits release it twenty minutes into extended. Additionally, I don't think it gives use to the geneticist or roboticist, because after the 50th person asks to be transformed into a waifu they're gonna be told to fuck off.

It's probably not the most creative example but I remember somebody playing as "Sam Pepper" and orchestrating crazy 'pranks' to post to his newsfeed such as "huge bomb in departures prank," "spacing the head of security prank," etc.

But hey, better 70% circlejerk than 100% shitflinging and bitching