Meanwhile, in the Holla Forums of a decade ago!

Meanwhile, in the Holla Forums of a decade ago!

What did you actually expect vidya to be like in 2015 and onwards back then?

Other urls found in this thread:

fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Fallout_3_announcement
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

I didn't care so long as WoW continued to be good.
Now, 2007…

I expected them to be fun

Come on son.

I expected VR to be a thing.
I guess I was right.

Is it everything you hoped it would be?

No.

I expected vidya to be good

I expected fun

I expected nothing and yet somehow things are even worse.

I have never had anything but disdain for people screaming HYPE HYYYPEEE HYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYPEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE at every little thing. You're only setting yourself up for an even more crushing disappointment.

Back in 2006, I couldn't wait for TESV to come out, because it was obviously going to be the best game ever and revolutionize the game industry.

I expecting to play S.T.L.K.E.R 2

Blyat….

Also, VR is awesome. And I am going to play shit ton of stalker with my vive and omni.

I expect to find what i want to do in my life

Fuck it

But it did revolutionize the industry.

It was going to shit. I saw it back in 2005 and 2006. Especially with the lugenpresse and all of the fucking fags on cuckchan Holla Forums praising Fallout 3 and bashing all of the Fallout fans.

Everyone was going after Fallout fans like how SJWs are making fun of people who like video games in general.

The fucking jews ruined video games.

Not only hype but

These things mean nothing anymore in vidya

I expected mind blowing stuff.
But it is been stale for 10 years, gameplay got shit, performance get shit, stories got shit, the whole industry and communities got shit.
Graphics aint worth the performance issues it has now. Then again, graphics are now more shaders and filters than anything else.

unless you are talking about project Van Buren, you are retarded

I expected RTS games to grow and to have infantry units that were as detailed as unreal tournament 2004 models.
I thought Blizzard would make great games.
I thought FPS as a genre would be awesome in the future.

None of those came to be and the two genres I liked are in decline.

Kill yourself

haha, nice try

Bethesda announced Fallout 3 in 2004 dipshit.

I was pretty good at predicting things as a kid. No matter how off the mark I was, I would never be 100% wrong. I wish I had been.

I was so naive and so very very mistaken.

something about that time seems wrong to me. The first trailer for the game was '07. And the Burned Game came out in '04.

fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Fallout_3_announcement

same year FFXIII was announced. The beginning of a decade of hell

Well gotta add that no one back then paid positive attention towards it, back then people knew Bethesda was going to fuck it up badly. Now mindless drones and shills defend them to no end.
It fucking hurts.

damn. sorry I called you retarded ur still a faggot

well you're not wrong when you call me a faggot

Mostly I expected bigger scale and more depth of choices and such. I was still an optimistic teenager ten years ago so I looked at graphics at the time and said "Damn, this is realistic. This is probably the best graphics will get." But I looked at FEAR and I wanted more like that. Even better AI, but with bigger battles and more weapons and stuff. Now I pretty much only play older stuff because there's so little new stuff that actually interests me.

I expected video games would become even larger and more feature packed.

Now most games have less modes, less secrets, and shorter stories.

I expected MMOs to be massive and more interconnected than ever.

Instead the only MMOs that show any potential, like BDO, get turned into P2W pseudo-multiplayer shit.

I wanted games that were actually games.

Instead, we have interactive films that constantly feel the need to shove a liberal/conservative message in your face. I'm especially tired of that shit.

Next video game crash when? We need to reset back to when video games could be art AND a business, not one or the other.

I would love to see another crash. I have more than enough games I've been meaning to play to last me until the devs who actually love the industry can bring us back out of it.

chin chan was more of a Holla Forums thang, really.

same

nope

I expected that I'd be making vidya.

So, time for Tripfags everywhere and Phoenix Wright RPing?
I'm sure that was more 2007, though

As much as they annoyed me at the time, I'd still take Lanced Jack and Toxic Jester over the state of chans in general, now.

Hey guys, have you heard that Half Life 2 is gonna get episodes? At least 4 for them are to come before 2008!

All I wanted was 1:1 motion controllers. We have them but not a single game worth playing with them.

Name one so I can play it.

Sony lost e3, easy. $600 for a console and $60 for a game? Are fucking kidding?

motion controls were a bad idea

LOL

I honestly thought the lolcows would keep being lolcows on the Internet who no one gives a fuck about.
Know they get paid to cry about stuff so they can get paid some more.

They even influence my hobbies and get to meet powerful people and infect them with their faggotry.

Thanks Doc

I still have that one question in my mind.
Was DK gay?

i expected video game industry to be anything but a bunch of money sucking pink haired liberal jews on one side and a bunch of more rich jews on another

I didn't even think life could go on like this

2005 or 2006?
Because I saw this narrative shit coming in 2006 which is why up until 2011 I basically only bought independent and Nintendo/sega games.

I sure as hell expected things to have turned out better than what we have now.

Look at the bright side you got lots of pretty numbers on the end of your post

:3

Full house

I was in highschool when this shit was announced.

The only thing that video games have improved on is their most superficial aspects. I recently took a trip back to the past and realized for the nth time that in the late 90s games were still growing complex because the developers of that era were focused on making the most elaborate game that can fit on a limited storage capacity. They had to ensure that their games did more than less, beat their competition, and topped their last entry if it was in a series. Technology imposed these handicaps and by the turn of the century we experienced the coming together of new technology and seasoned game developers who were masters of making the most with less, but now they had more.

But it goes beyond the storage capacity. If you really analyze games and how they've evolved, what made games good was their absurdity. You accepted that floating objects somehow granted your character new abilities, improved their previous ones, or restored a stat. You accepted the abstract because the ideas behind them were more compelling than anything you ever saw in real life. By current year the abstract has faded in an incessant, foolish, and disgraceful race for realism and an attitude that punishes the absurd - and by proxy the imaginative. Realism means there is little to no room for abstract ideas and therefore it is limited by how much it can utilize from the imaginative. Truly stupid and cynical people have imposed their pretentious perspective on gaming, decrying that because they're so smart and in order for games to be smart, games have to present realistic and gritty images.

Let's examine the cost of this:

The most ironic part of all of this is that because gameplay has become so dried up, the lines between genres are thinning. Now we have hybrid genres which are actually just the most simplistic of two or more genres tied into one game. The best example of this is FPS with minor RPG elements which those elements are glorified stat modifiers that make you suffer through grind. The culmination of modern day gaming is to make things the same, all challenges easier, and use the same art direction. We're no longer playing new games. We're playing games with new titles.

Thing is, sci-fi sucks monkey dick nowadays because everything is pretty much the same

I just thought they would get 'better'. Graphics are better than I expected but gameplay is kind of a let-down. All the story driven stuff is nice but for fucks sake I wanted gameplay with it too. V.R. was something that I never expected to happen in at least 30 years, so I guess that's a nice surprise.

Hahaha showed you faggot
ha…hahaha…

When i saw that post, I was going to post how I wanted there to be another Xenosaga game or another star ocean game. Not realising the horrible current state of those games. I want a game as elaborate and fun as star ocean 2.

This fucking shit right there.
I'm shocked that even though with FEAR the "AI" wasnt that complex and was more about clever map design+"AI" which it worked well in but… we have absolutely no games that will even give you the illusion of "hey for once the AI isnt absolutely braindead" after FEAR.

If anything, FEAR showed that even corridor shooters based on dull office blocks can be enjoyable just because the enemies actually sort of acted like real human beans instead of just running at you like they just won Darwin's award.

You mean you just expected to play S.T.A.L.K.E.R·

Hell, I remember schoolyard rumors about games having worlds as big as entire states or countries.
From how things were going throughout the 90s it didn't even seem far fetched.

I didn't expect vidya to become Hollywood.

Yup ;_;

And definitely this. ;_;7

I had infinite optimism about the future of games, and thought as videogames became more mainstream and budgets grew we would start to see amazing, VR-like roleplaying games and CS:Source would have multimillion dollar prize pool tourneys. Those things sorta came true: we got Skyrim and League of Legends, and the marketing budgets for videogames have gone way the fuck up.

Oh god yes, I remember thinking as a kid that vidya becoming more popular would actually be a good thing.
Even a bit later when the "vidya makes you go postal" shit was going around I thought that it would go away. There's no way a generation that grew up with vidya would ever claim that bullshit.
Instead they started claiming it's sexist.

Why is it that it's always people that don't actually play any games shape the way of it's market?

I remembered I used to want my favourite games to get sequels. Now I just pray they'll leave whatever I like alone.

Well. That sort of happened.

Again, this very very loosely happened.

I SEVERELY underestimated pixel shit.

Well. Yeah.

Fuck.

Actually I sort of roughly saw everything coming quite well. Except I underestimated one thing: gaming getting infiltrated with overly sensitive people. NEVER thought that would happen and that people like that fucked off after Duke Nukem 3D and games like it became mega hits.

But I underestimated the thirst devs had for wanting to become the next Hollywood, and as such since film is insanely political I should have really seen that coming.

I remember when new games went from $50 to $60. I was surprised, even back then, that it didn't cause a bigger shitstorm.

Super realistic, loads of content and fun
While graphics have certainly improved tenfold, the heart and love has left most dev companies

Pretty much how I was back in 2006

I just wanted to play games that were fun and didn't really know what the future held

Are you kidding? Cuckchan and a lot of the main stream gaming sites were sucking Bethesda's dick all the time about Fallout 3 and making fun of all of the old Fallout fans.

"They're just archaic and technologically retarded, they just want 8-bit graphics and they hate first person view, because they hate immersion."

Immersion was the worst fucking buzzword before diversity over took it.

Damn right.
Though don't forget Accessibility. That one as well was pretty fucking bad. But this holygrail that is "immersion" just doesn't exist and purely subjective, immersion means very different things to different people, which is why marketing your product based on it is not only fucking stupid as shit its also misleading when you realize that every game in their own right has some form of immersion, it is not a metric for quality. Which is why it shits me off when developers use it as one.