GUESS WHO'S BACK MOTHERFUCKERS!

GUESS WHO'S BACK MOTHERFUCKERS!

What would you call an unavoidable reminder of the hypocrisies of man?

Try-hard writing?

ARE YOU FUCKING KIDDING ME?

Is Doomsday Cock any good? The art looks nice

Christ. There's no possible explanation for this that won't be absolutely fucking retarded. Great job Johns, you mongoloid.

WatchmeX thread?

Since OP is a fag, might as well Storytime Doomsday Clock #2 so everyone can get perspective.

And that's it. Now you have context to OP's post.

The Supermen Theory is the dumbest shit I've ever heard of, why the fuck would the United States need to invest in an alternative to nuclear weapons when they already have a top-tier nuclear arsenal? And why would you try to "disguise" this build up by creating super-villians to fight your nuke-equivilents, when the whole point of nukes in international relations is the intimidation factor from knowing you could potentially use them? All super-villians do then is create the illusion that your 'heroes' are free agents (thus limiting their intimidation factor) and cost you money as you have to clean up the messes caused by fights between what are presumably highly exspensive weapons projects slugging it out in highly populated areas.

If they wanted to come up with a Watchmenesque issue to justify people protesting capes, they could have produced a far better effect by having people talk about state controlled super-heroes by citing the Chinese Justice League and that other Chinese super team they have ( bothexplicitly created and run by and for the Chinese government), or talk about rumours of governments using conscripted teams of super-villians to do their dirty work (as in the Suicide Squad). Either would have given you reason to get people edgy about the future of super-heroes without making everyone in your world look like idiots for believing a conspiracy theory so inane it makes Flat Earth stuff sound coherant. Why didn't they realise that the Superhumans=Nukes thing only 'worked' in Watchmen because it let them do an alt-history Pax-Americana and that trying to replicate it in the mainline DC universe it falls apart the moment someone points out that Americas metahuman arsenal is a non-existant tool on the international stage and spends most of its time fighting itself. I mean are we honestly supposed to believe that people think that if the President decided he didn't like Mexico then the Justice League would annex it for him? Because that's the kind of thing people in the DC universe apparently think could happen.

And while we're at it, why the fuck would they think Jon would bother trying to masquerade as a normal person? His entire issue was that his powers meant that he percived things on a level that made human relationships effectively impossible. Why the smartest man on the planet thinks that a guy who stated his intentions of leaving the galaxy to a "more simple" one where he might decide to create some human life to observe, would decide to play at being a super-hero and pretending to believe that human lives had an inherit value.

It's almost like when an IP is handed off to a bunch of writers who had nothing to do with it it's mishandled and is untrue to what it previously was.
Probably the biggest problem with western comics.

anyone taking this as canon would have to be retarded. This is clearly fanfiction.

Truly the best response.

I know Alan Moore doesn't care what DC does anymore because he rightfully hates them, but I'd really love to hear his opinion on these comics.

Probably something wordy that ultimately boils down to "It's shit".

The interesting part of opinions isn't what's it's boiled down to. I'd love to hear his criticisms in detail and I'd love to hear him mock Geoff Johns.

I'm less concerned about the canon and more concerned about what it's doing to the medium.

Fucking look at the art. It's a gigantic step down from the work it's copying. All the visual clarity is tainted with mud.

I'm sure his main criticism of it would be that it's creatively bankrupt. Not because it's copying the Watchmen, but because it's adding nothing new to the medium.

You're assuming that he'd actually read it. He wouldn't.

This. I don't think he even saw the movie.

He never saw the Watchmen movie. While he didn't actually see the finished V For Vendetta movie, he gave a very poor account of himself because he read the screenplay (he was working at DC by proxy at the time), and based on his criticisms it was either the shooting script or very close to it.

A clown.

Well, I will say this for that lump of shit. It is beautifully illustrated. Gary Frank deserves better

Has Gary Frank had a decent writer since Peter David?
I nostalge for Motormouth.

JMS? Alan Moore?

For some reason…I just like this Mime fellow.

And this is the moment comics and capeshit officially run out of ideas and become completely dead as a medium

I thought it was dead already..I mean, at least I get how Comedian came back (it's the Big Blue Wang's doing) but bringing him back? Why?

At least with Rorschach coming back, there was hints that Veidt may or may not have implanted Kovacs' memories into some poor schmuck's brain..but Comedian? How? Why?

After re-reading it, I noticed that the Comedian was aiming for Luthor and never called Adrian by his name, so I'm thinking maybe it's a DCU version of the Comedian that Luthor tried and failed to kill. It's fucking retarded and disrespectful no matter which way you slice it, but I figure it's slightly less awful than it being the actual Comedian brought back to life. Fuck me, Alan Moore was right.

He wasn't aiming for Luthor. He hit Luthor, he was aiming for Adrian's head and missed

Wait, DC version of Comedian? Doesn't look like Peacemaker to me. Also, too bad DC doesn't hold the rights to Peter Cannon, Thunderbolt..we could've had Ozy met with Peter Cannon.

This is somehow that page perfectly encapsulates how I feel about additional watchmen comics being made.

Not this one?

Brad Anderson is a very skilled colorist but he should be trying to simplify the colors like in the original Watchmen because. In Doomsday Clock, he's just coloring it like he always does. Very good coloring but not powerful like on Watchmen.

I wouldn't say the medium is dead, but I will say that Big Two now have an utter contempt for it.

NEGAN… wait… I mean Comedian… same character though.

I get why they do these, but I don't like retcons because it makes me lose investment in the story. It's better than a lot of comics though.

BRAVO NOLAN

Who thought this was a good idea?

But bro, Geoff Johns is a fucking legend, he's a cool dude, unlike that fucking fag Moore.

I thought the accepted twist was Dr. Manhattan created the DC multiverse.

I'm still holding out for pic related to come true.

I thought Rorschach is the Question, Nite-Owl is Blue Beetle, Manhattan is Captain Atom..etc.

Why are people in this thread acting like Moore's shit on paper is any better than the fanfiction tier multiverse DC is tieing it into.

Because it is?

The watchmen are based on the Charleton characters but they arent meant to literally replace them. Still, that theory is a bit on the retard side.

It must be sad to unironically be too stupid to enjoy Alan Moore comics. I bet you think Moore is pretentious don't you?

Shady's back?

Because unlike Capeshit, Watchmen had a concrete end and its creator didn't want to sell out and whore the characters until they became chafe. Unlike the rest of DC.

Because unlike Capeshit, Watchmen had a concrete end and its creator didn't want to sell out and whore the characters until they became chafe. Unlike the rest of DC.

let me post cripplecuck

I guess it's because they seem more like an old school villain you'd expect from older comics. Kind of miss villains like that.

Fuck this trash.

DUDE, WHAT ARE YOU, A OORE FAN BOY?

You didn't read it.

You're a fucking idiot. It had a book ending. There were no loose ends, the story ends with Rorshach's journal being in the stack of mail to show the reader that the truth will eventually get out. But it's left up to the reader to decide what that means, will anyone believe the journal? That's your choice, as the reader.

DC just ruined Watchmen. Watchmen had a perfect ending, and DC just couldn't stand that.

Would it, though? I mean, realistically, what was in the journal? Rorschach didn't find out about the squid, he only found out that there was some fishy shit going on and that Veidt was behind it. Also, who says that the fat intern would have actually picked the journal and not something else?

The last line is literally "I leave it entirely in your hands", and I think it's safe to assume that Moore is directly speaking to the reader and telling them to draw their own conclusions.

Exactly, which still proves the other anons point. DC just ruined the ending to their greatest comic. It's hilarious.

A few year ago, I read one of those verborraic over complicated Alan Moore’s interview. I thought Moore was a delusional old fart. Back at the time he said that dc was plagiarizing all of his work to keep the company afloat. He was referring to Geoff using the concept of the darkest knight.
Now Geoff is actually plagiarizing Moore to keep the company afloat. Does meme magic know no boundaries?

Because we can't use nuclear weapons at all, but we can casually send in superheroes to wherever the fuck we want.

There's currently shit going in on in the Batman comics that justifies those protests.

Nigger, the characters were supposed to be standard DC characters in the first place.

Jesus Christ?

But my issue is that Superheroes here are depicted as an alternative to nuclear weapons. Something that worked with Doc Manhattan in the Watchmen comics to alter the Cold War power balance but doesn't make sense in DC's main universe where global politics is nearly identical to reality because capes for the most part avoid getting involved in it. Even then, the big importance of nukes isn't just that you can drop them on a warzone, it's the large scale impact of wiping cities off the map. Sending Superman to depose a dictator isn't the same as wiping Despotistan from the map entirely, strategic nukes can do the latter but the not the first unless you're willing to take Despotistans capitol with him- meanwhile I'm not sure there's a single instance in the current DC canon of a superhero completely wiping a city from a map.

To boil it down: The comic trys to claim that since the US has a disproportionately high number of super-powered individuals, that it can (and does) tap into that population as a direct substitute for nuclear weapons when it comes to global politics- despite no cape ever having acted in such a way or the US actually having any meaningful apparatus to organise and utilise superhuman forces like it does nuclear capabilities. You can't even claim that this is the Suicide Squad since their entire purpose is to act as deniable operatives on covert missions and the entire point of a deterrent (which is the role nuclear weapons today fill) is that everyone knows you have it and can use it at the slightest provocation. The question of if the President could conscript the Justice League and send them to invade a country can't count as a deterrent since no-one -not even in the US government- could confidently state that such an endevour wouldn't fail before it began.

This all makes the argument presented that all superhumans are actually government sponsored weapons fall apart. Presume you are a government agent assigned to decide what would be the most effective way to use the states premier new superweapon: Superman. What is the more cost effective and intimidating method of using him:

The way they were used wasn't standard. Watchmen had a beginning, middle, and end. The idea was to tell a story, rather than regurgitate the same shit over and over.

No they weren't. They were created specifically because DC wanted to use the Charlton heroes as standard DC characters and if Moore did Watchmen as originally planned, they wouldn't have been able to.

What do you mean by that, user? I've never actually noticed much copypasting in comics in DC, and Marvel only started regurgitating recently (who the fuck wanted a Civil War 2?).

The Spectre, in one of his weaker moments, wiped out an entire [fictional] country plagued by civil war, save for two people who led both sides of the conflict. Heaven didn't give him much shit over it, but naturally the US Gov't was worried enough to actually ask Superman to deal with him with the Spear of Destiny.

You can say the same thing about comic plots in general. No one is allowed their happy end or failing that to rest in peace or move on with their lives. This makes the worlds of DC and Marvel a living hell because of it.

Was this supposed to be an analogy on Rorschach and Veidt? On how both of them became unhinged and paranoid because of all the shit in the world and then both recurred to murder?
If Rorschach does small murder to solve small problems and Veidt genocides to solve big problems. What makes Rorschach better than Veidt?

I don't know about the story-within-a-story, but Rorschach murders people who deserve it, Veidt murdered thousands of innocent people to achieve his goal.

Rorshach murders people he hates, Veidt sacrifices those he loves. Veidt is obviously morally superior.

And he made himself feel eveerrrry death.

You kill a serial killer, no more serial killing. You kill a rapist, no more raping. You kill a bunch of innocent people who have nothing to do with the problem you're trying to solve, you've solved nothing.
Not to mention that Veidt obviously didn't love humanity or New Yorkers to just sacrifice their lives so callously

Ignoring the morality of it, Veidts plan was possibly the most elaborate and stupid way he accomplished what he did, and the most unsustainable way to do it-ever.

This.
I can foresee 8 months of peace before humanity finds a way to hate each other again, even if they don't read the diary.

The more I think about it, the more the movie plan of making a bomb and blaming Dr. Manhattan makes sense to me rather than starfish that scientist will discover it was made here in 3 years or so.

I have a much simpler option:

Assassinate Leaders that are Warlike or implant agents that are Loyal to Peace. However unlikely that is to work, I'm pretty sure that's more efficient than making fucking exploding alien squids and is likely to leave fewer tracks.
Fuck me maybe use the Psion to brainwash enemy leaders instead of kinda brushing it off and using him to die pointlessly.
Like how does he plan to continue the charade? Make alien squids every year?

I dunno have Manhattan pop up and say "Im gonna kill all you leaders unless you negotiate peace treaties and I can fucking see the future so I don't want your lies".
"Oh but Manhattan is a slave to time!!!!"

How fucking convenient. Things happen because they happen because they happen. How clever.

Yeah, for the guy who can see every possibility, he ain't exactly smart enough that he could use those visions to his advantage. He can see past, present and potential futures if I recall, why not use the knowledge of said potential futures to get the "Golden" ending so to speak?

Blaming Manhattan is flimsier than the squid though, because the mutual peace is then reliant on things like the USSR taking the US at its word that Doc was totally out of their control and the assumption that Doc would permanently fuck off to space. The squid at least has the cover of being a manufactured third party with no real ties to anybody.

Actually it makes sense in character, he only became a nuclear physicist because his father ordered him to. Even after he became the most powerful man in the world, he still remained a doormat, following the orders of the government.
The guy's a fucking pussy, of course he's a slave to time, in his place I would've kill Dan where he stood for taking my girlfriend to begin with.

Well, even if Manhattan was under US control, half of New York just fucking exploded, but the US still has over 3000 warheads so if I was the URSS I would take that chance to turn 180° and walk away out of 30 seconds to midnight and pretend along to hate Dr. Manhattan too.

ow_the_edge.gif

user, when you’re an 8th demential being that only assumes a 3D form to calm the plebs, not to mention that you have the capability to quite literally play God if you really wanted to, things like monogamy and cuckoldry mean little. besides, Dr. M had already decided that humanity wasn’t his concern, so I doubt he would even care. Killing Rorschach to preserve Veidt’s peace was his last act as a being of earth

He doesn't see potential futures and pick from them. He experiences all moments of his existence simultaneously. He has no free will.

No, they've literally always done that. You're just too retarded to realize that Moore was right.

Remember Kingdom Come? It was largely based on a pitch Moore made to DC for a story called Twilight of the Superheroes. As far as I know, they've acknowledged it, but reading the description of the pitch, it's clear that Mark Waid or someone at DC dusted it off to form the core of Kingdom Come.

*they've never acknowledged it

You don't get Dr Manhattan at all. He is almost completely indifferent to humanity. He doesn't give a shit that Nite Owl stole his girlfriend because he didn't really give a shit about her to begin with

He just didn't wanted to admit he's a pushover.

Did you read the book at all?

Laurie appealed to the guy's sensitive side to bring him back, you know that all that shit about "every human is a miracle" is bullcrap, and even as every regular scientist can tell you the very simple mechanics behind it and even if it was, if he were as detached from his feelings as he said he wouldn't even value miracles, how bad he exploded at his interview and how he reminisces his past with a lot of emotion, anger, sadness, jealousy he can fell at the same time, shit he even breaks apart from his girlfriend because is afraid to face that she's getting old and going to die.
He was afraid to admit how far gone he had become, but he hadn't still turned into an emotionless machine
this for example, what Blake describes is what a machine would have done to find the simpler solution and fix an issue, but in that scene, he's surprised and disgusted at Blake's actions to the point he can't react and fix it in time due to his emotions overtaking him (Kinda like in the interview).
I don't think Dr. Manhattan is emotionless, he probably has unchecked PTSD from his "death" or something, is not until the end when he kills Rorschach when he becomes fully detached.
And I stand, Dr. Manhattan was a pussy pushover on the inside until he killed Rorschach and became a machine, "destroying the gun to save the baby".

As Ozzy wanted instead of leaving these weaklings to death, effectively making his last act as a human doing what other people wanted him to do. btw.

As he explained, he did all those things and reacted that way because that's the way he's supposed to react. Everything that's happening to him has happened and will happen and he's powerless to do anything about it. As said, he has no free will

I still believe that's just what he wanted to believe of himself.
If he were as detached as he said his future would just have been to stay on Mars.

What does it mean?!

WHAT TIME IS IT?

NONONONONNONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONNONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONNONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONNONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONNONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONNONONONONONONONOYESNONONONONONONONONNONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONNONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONNONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONNONONONONONONONONONONONO

Clearly you don't understand the concept of predestination even though it's explained in the book, in rather simple fucking terms, so there's no point arguing with you

Is not that I don't understand, is just that I believe he was just lying about it because he was afraid.

I don't think you into corporations, like at all. They had a fat property sitting there, not making them money. Eventually some bean counter or another would notice and say hey, why aren't we milking this thing for all it's worth.

And yea, nevermind the decades of acquiescence to the agreements made to the series' original writer, the gentleman's agreement to never bastardize his work in this way. It was pretty much a matter of time before some suit came in and did this.

You will live to see some hack write a story where Charlie Brown kicks the football.

You know it!
IT'S TIME TO…

Don't you dare!

Have another storytime?

In this issue of Doomsday Clock, Johns goes from ruining Watchmen by association to outright fucking with its canon!

Turns out Mime really did have invisible weapons.

This is dumb.

And Bruce leaves Rorschach to rot in Arkham. When Rorschach knows his identity and how to get into the Batcave.

That's it for now.

He's done it before.

In just one issue, Johns has completely demolished the original premise of Watchmen. Good job you motherfucker.

As well as ripping off The Dark Knight, MGS3 and many other things

This is fanfiction. This is why fanboys should never grow up to be comic writers. Before Watchmen was okay, because it worked WITHIN the whole continuity and didn't really fuck with the main story, but this….

I don't know if I want to read comics anymore.

All this discussion kinda makes me want to start a Superior Power thread, maybe storytime it. Shall I?

As a kid, I thought the fact that people who grew up reading comics were becoming writers was a good thing. After all, as fellow readers they would be familiar with the core of the characters moreso than some stuffy outsider who only saw the characters as a means to a monetary/political end, and would be savvy enough with stories to avoid the potholes of their predecessors.

Why does it keep going wrong? Why do they keep bastardizing the things they claim to love? Self-gratification? Insecurity over being in the comics industry?

I think it might actually be insecurity. I couldn't really go into the whole mental dynamics of it, but this constant game of "can you outdo certain writers" reeks of insecurity. As in:

And so on, and so on.

Because they aren't writers. They got into comics to gush over fanboy bullshit and they don't understand the basics of crafting stories and characters.

I compare fanboys becoming writers to audience members thinking they've watched enough magic shows to become a magician. They don't really know how the tricks work or how to misdirect the audiences attention, so it should be no surprise that their attempts turn out to be complete shit.

This is why I switched to manga a long time ago.

This reminds me of when Steranko tweeted that his run on Nick Fury was an experiment in using surrealism in storytelling. It blew my fucking mind to hear a cartoonist actively talk about pushing the medium with a mainstream comic.

The revelation of that exposed how modern comics are fucking amateur hour.

… You know people have nails, right? He'd be perfectly capable of cutting into his own scalp with them.

I found the invisible weapons hilarious, actually. It defied expectations and they wouldn't be criminals if they posed no threat. There's a lot wrong with the comic, but at least criticize it for the right reasons.

I'm actually enjoying BlackSchach. It's kind of fun rooting for a guy who's clearly lost a few marbles in the very genuine sense, and isn't a ridiculous caricature of what people think mental illness is like.

I definitely enjoyed it. Such a weird fucking power, it's not often someone comes yp with something unique anymore.

I do find it believable that Bruce found Rorschach to be a dangerous psychopath worthy of Arkham, at least since he just handed him a journal full of Kovacs' crazy ramblings, but actually locking him in there is extremely dangerous and unwise, and not something Bruce would do. Poor writing in that regard. Might also be a temporary solution until he follows up with Barry regarding the journal, and he simply doesn't trust Rorschach until he's able to hash it all out.

… Or, he thinks Rorschach is nothing but a nutcase and is going to completely dismiss it which is entirely possible, but even more idiotic for reasons stated.

So..uh..is the Nathaniel Dusk story going to be this comic's version of Tales of the Dark Freighter? But hey…the first Stand User is back.

Or Bruce puts Rorschach somewhere safe…he knows now that Manhattan can just kill folks with a thought (he did witnessed what happened to Zoom in the Button after all)

That doesn't stop it from being pointlessly edgy.

Geoff Johns is a brainlet who probably gets physically angry when reading anything by Moore because he can't understand it.

You're an idiot.

I bet if he was white you wouldn't be saying anything.

Johns actually made it a point to make NuSchach black, so yeah, he's shoehorned. If he were black, and actually had some connection to the original, it wouldn't look like so much of a diversity hire.

I bet money he's goddamn Bernie the newstand kid.

Nah, both Bernies bought it when the anus monster hit the town. Now watch Johns try to spin it into actually being the kid Bernie.

Johns retconned the Comedian's death. There's nothing safe from his idiocy. He'll probably write it that Bernard's fat ass actually saved him or some bullshit.

Of course, this would completely bastardize the symbolism of their deaths, but fuck deep messages, we need edgy gruel for the garbage eaters.

The only explanation I can think of for Blake's retconning is that Manhattan pulled him out at the last second and switched with a body double/clone type deal, because Manhattan can do that, why not. Or, he pulled Blake out, and at some point will put him back at near the point of impact so he can splat. Who knows.

And then there's this sequence of panels. I'm pretty sure that the button he drops in front of Blake is the one from the Batman/Flash crossover. The one he picks up at the end.

They already showed that he's some random Taxi Driver, he's a literal nobody.

Why are you analyzing this bullshit? Johns probably only read Watchmen once and didn't even bother to re-read it before writing this trash.

Him being black has nothing to do with the reasons I like him, so why should I give a shit?

I didn't analyse anything. These were observations I made as I read the book.

The pathetic thing is that Watchmen really isn't a hard book to understand. It might take two or three reads to 'get' it, but it pretty much wears it's themes on it's sleeve. But then not only is Johns so retarded that he can't understand Watchmen, he's aping the its style without any of the substance. Could Doomsday Clock legitimately be a contender for worst comic ever made? That might be bit harsh, but I can't think of a single other comic that attempted to take on the legacy of one of the most critically acclaimed comics of all time without even having a basic grasp of it's concepts. Fuck.

You're conflating fans with fanboys
Guys like Roger Stern, Denny O'Neil, Len Wein, they can/could write
Guys like Geoff Johns, Kevin Smith and Joe Quesada can't write to save their lives. They had maybe one good idea once

The point being that he's so obviously not Kovacs/Rorschach

Okay, I'm the faggot that believes the predestination shit is bullshit and Manhattan was just a push over and EVEN I know how those 3 panels are so out of fucking character FOR BOTH OF THEM.
AND THERE'S ONLY THREE LINES

Go ahead and try digging your nails so hard into your scalp that you'd bleed as profusely as Niggerschach did. It's near goddamn impossible, especially when you've got a decent amount of hair on there. And if you did manage to get it bleeding that badly, you'd pass out. It's nothing more than Johns being stupidly edgy again for the sake of edginess. Guy's a fucking retard.

Miraculous Ladybug already did that shit with the miming guy, hell, I wouldn't put it past Johns to have ripped them off so unique my ass.

Whoa there, you lost me user

I thought it was okay. The motives behind the creation of the series might have been less than noble (cash grab), but the writing was good (with the exception of Comedian and Rorschach) and the art was really good. That's what I thought after reading them after the autistic screeching from those who believe that Watchmen is a precious jewel that should never be touched had died down. Like I previously said, it worked within the context of the original series, and didn't really try to reinvent the wheel, unlike Doomsday Clock.

I did that on accident while drunk, stuff a cock in it and shut up.

There is precisely one passable-at-best Before Watchmen prequel and that's Minutemen
Guess what? They were right

Before Watchmen adds absolutely nothing to the Watchmen experience and in fact takes away from it. The whole event was completely pointless. You get the complete backstory of all the principal cast in Watchmen itself. You really don't need any further elaboration. But Didio and the other suits just couldn't let their fucking cash cow go unmilked so they thought 'Hurr durr let's do a prequel guise' and the end result is that shitshow.

It didn't need to be made, much like this piece of shit here. One would think they'd learned their lesson

Sure you did, Geoff.

At least ML miming guy had the weakness of being only able to mime a single object at a time and making him vulnerable with he has to switch.