ReactOS Thread, replacement for windows and Linux

ReactOS Thread, replacement for windows and Linux.

ReactOS is an open source Windows based on Windows NT.

Gaming on reactos instead of windows and the shitty Linux.

Other urls found in this thread:

reactos.org/
reactos.org/wiki/ReactX
reactos.org/wiki/OpenGL
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

reactos.org/

Last time I tried it two years ago, I couldn't even get steam to install without a dozen bluescreens. ReactOS isn't anywhere close to being on a usable level, it's a rough alpha at best.

ReactOS Alpha 0.4.1 Now, its much better than what you used 2 years ago.

Wow, this is great! It'll be just like playing games on an OS from 1993: buggy and shitty.

Just use a pirated version of Windows 7 if you're so concerned about Microsoft.

And it still won't be enough to do anything Holla Forums related seriously. You're much better off playing games on Linux.

Honestly, I want to like this, but it's not anywhere neat full desktop replacement for Windows or Linux. At least Wine has more compatibility. When ReactOS has full XP compatibility and I can run DX9/DX11 games, I'll be interested.

Linux shill pls..

You can see in the 2nd video the guy is playing Skyrim.

You can play many games already on reactos.

How do people play games on GNU/Linux?
Do you dual boot or do you just live with your nogames?

You're not gonna get anywhere spouting bullshit. It looks like a good project but it's not replacing anything at this point. Even when it's finished it will be a replacement for windows at most.

You left your flag on

Reactos is using some wine code.

When its finished it would replace linux as well since it can natively run windows, mac and Linux programs.

Oh hey the reactOS shill is back

is that you drauga?

A interesting way to scape from the M$ and Linux dickwave.
If this OS can use DX 11/12, Opengl 2.0 - 4.5 and Vulkan. Plus being compatible to existing drivers, both open-source and proprietary.

Which Linux is the shitty Linux?

The moment that someone in the linux field manages to make a clickable script to set up a VM like vid related, your OS is dead and every casual will be alt-tabbing to game on Windows for older games, and alt-tabbing to Linux for everything else.

Big bonus to the fact that you can just keep windows 10 in a retard cage away from your physical internet connection and bing's botnet.

I am currently installing Steam on reactos.

It is compatible with Windows drivers, It is open source. and if you know how to code in C or C++ you can help improve it by adding more support.

reactos.org/wiki/ReactX

Gentoo especially. :^)
I should eventually have a Gentoo box for full control over my system but I've been extra lazy and kept an older version of Mint, and use Ubuntu in VMs on my desktop.

OpenGL support up to at least version 1.4 has been in ReactOS for some time.

reactos.org/wiki/OpenGL

No it can not. That is 100% bullshit. It's aspiring to be an NT-compliant kernel. It doesn't have any part of the Linux or Mach kernels and won't be able to execute their code. It exposes no Linux kernel calls, has almost none of POSIX implemented, and has a completely differently-functioning filesystem. Stop spouting bullshit. Even cygwin can't just "run Linux programs", especially ones with any sort of GUI code.

Some people dual-boot, some people use VM+GPU passthrough. Wine is enough for me, since Skyrim is the only Windows-only game I'm currently playing. I'll probably go set up the whole passthrough on my next computer, since I'll want to be able to play Dragon's Dogma.

I appreciate the herculean effort that the ReactOS devs are putting forth (reverse engineering all this obfuscated and undocumented bullshit is so much work in fact, I think when they are done implementing every library they'll have done more than the original Microsoft devs).

But, the whole concept is goddamn insanity in the first place. The Windows NT kernel is NOT the gold standard by which people judge kernels.

Then how do you explain the linux programs that are already running on it.

they picked windows NT because at the time XP was out and they decided to use NT.

Alright, it's on my radar.
However it looks like shit and apparently is barely stable.

Is this thing actually 95,6 mb ?
Thats a small file for a OS.
Will try to install on VirtualBox.

But wouldnt this take a long time since most Linux devs dont put lots of energy on UX.
Plus i doubt a casuals would use Linux, let alone a niche OS like ReactOS, at the end of the day since M$ have its tentacles far up everybody asshole. Unless you are talking about DOSbox levels of causality, but i guess it just to break free somehow.

It really doesn't matter much. When you get down to it, the only difference between distros is package management, default repositories, and sometimes init systems (less so now with systemd).

I use gentoo because I like a mostly static kernel (ie. with most of my modules compiled in instead of as loadable modules), and I dig being able to conditionally compile things to not do certain things (like I don't have a wireless card or bluetooth, so I can just disable that and I never need any of the associated libraries). I also like the speed boost of -march=native. eselect is a great configuration and management tool as well.

Well, that's the reason I started, the main reason I use it now is that Gentoo makes it stupidly easy to add your own ebuilds. For instance, the latest dwarf fortress release isn't available in my repositories yet (and it's always good to be properly package managed and to get the bonus of the patches and stuff the ebuild does). Luckily, I can just copy the older version's ebuild, change the version, and it works without issues. It's way more of a pain to do that with a non-source distro.

All distros are mostly the same though. If you understand Linux, the filesystem, and the init, you can get by on all the distros with pretty much no trouble, except maybe dealing with repo differences.

Like what? I don't think you are running linux binaries on ReactOS. You are probably thinking of portable programs compiled for Windows that run without issue on ReactOS.

got steam running. im going to install a game.

That's the point user, they won't have to.
Filthy casuals will never give it a try, because the Botnet just werks.

Regular casuals however (like pro-gaymer kind of people) would probably want to give it a shot, but they'd only do it if spoonfed.

And if we make it easier to have windows within linux, as in, running a script levels of easy, then a lot of those regular casual folk will give it a try. They can keep their software on windows, and give linux a try, getting them familiar.

Well that's true, but when add up all those differences it becomes quite significant. If someone has a distro that has a horribly configured kernel, uses insane defaults for every configuration file, flagrantly ignores the FHS, it would be easier to make a "Linux-from-strach" installation than it would be to fix it.

I'm waiting for this to happen. Or a good tutorial for it on Void Linux
I can't give up Windows because of a few programs like Paint Tool Sai.
Krita is not optimized well enough. Sai performs like a dream

That is a good point. I've used a lot of Gentoo at home, but I usually use CentOS, Oracle Enterprise Linux, RHEL, Ubuntu, Debian, and a couple other distros at work, and it becomes a pain to port programs between all of these sometimes. I wish a lot of this was as easy and simple as Gentoo most of the time.

I'm not a good person to talk about for PC gaming though. Other than emulators, the only PC game I play these days is Dwarf Fortress. Even my consoles are just getting dust because it's been so long since a really decent console game came out.

Regardless, ReactOS is really cool shit. I'm excited to see where it goes. I'd love to be able to just install it on my family and friends' computers when they need it instead of pirating Windows 7 again and waiting the 72 hours it takes to install its updates.

Have you tried mypaint? I've heard really good things about it.

wait, so this shit has been in development for 18 years? How long until it is 100% compatible with all w7-10 programs and dx12?

the devs are doing it for free, and on their spare time, the more people know about it and are interested about it the more developers can help improve it quicker.

Literally maybe Never Ever

linux is too marxist, windows is too capitalist, reactos is too neutral.

fuck it all I'm making my own OS, and writing my own games that no one but me will play.

its not a unix-like so its not. Wine works better at this point anyway.

and if ReactOS ever made some sort of breakthrough with compatibility, it'd probably show up in Wine too.

has nothing to do with it. linux is used for commercial purposes all the time.

Does DirectX 10 work with it?
Some game I play like 90% of the time, is DX10 only.

That's like one thing I don't know even though I shitpost to them on Twitter.

Yeah, a replacement for Windows XP that's gonna be usable in about 10 more years.

I want it to pick up and become something bigger, but there's only so much that can be done by volunteers on a shoestring budget. All the people that actually know their shit around the NT kernel are already employed by Microsoft.

Makes no sense. Most of the people contributing to the kernel are paid by their company to do so.

Makes no sense. Windows is a product. It can't be "capitalist". Maybe the built-in store or something.

That phrase itself makes no sense.

Sure buddy, real marxist

So basically this is a lost cause?
Why is there even a thread? If this shit will only be useful in 9000 years, what's the point of even talking discussing it? Dual boot/VM seem like better options anyway

*talking about/discussing

ReactOS is irrelevant. Making some NT compatible kernel would mean reimplementing all the Windows ring 0 retarded decisions. In the end what you get is a FLOSS kernel with the design of a proprietary one, that may at best only be able to run Windows binaries. At that point just run W7, it's not like anyone pays for it.
It is better to do what Wine does and go full userspace syscall translation instead of that shit, at some point Linux will get popular enough and get all the games with native compatibility, and hardware will be good enough that Wine performance doesn't get in the way of older games.
It's a cool project though.

Hi
If I can work 3-4 month fulltime on reactos I can promiers dx 1-7 is finsh at that time frame. But I am limit of time around 4-8hours in week at moment to coding on reactos.

About DX10, DX10 is back ported to windows xp. I have the beta at home.

The first and biggest issue of Linux is to get people to get it and install it at all, something Valve is trying to do with SteamOS, since Linux might look too nerdy to normalfags and casuals.
The script thing mentioned to make Windows gaming on Linux easier is very good, but will mostly just affect Linux users instead of attracting a big influx of new blood.
I see ReactOS as more of a multitool, more than anything else, that cuts the VM and Dual-boot middlemen in one-hitsimilar to what M$ tried to pull on Win10, but actually running both Win and Linux applications, at the cost of a huge effort and dedicated community as observed.

Thats my worry, it needs more people and bigger community or attract the attention of a big company to get some incentive fundingnot sell the entire thing or stay in a shitty license that defeats the concept of opensource, but something like Linux.

Just like Gunslinger: Never Ever Edition
Well shit, i hope they can get their shit together.

because a VM wont utilize your full hardware potential. dont try and play games on a vm.
Whats the point of duel booting, just use windows.

They wouldnt be able to sell it anyways because that would probably be bad for them vs Microsoft. so its always going to be free.

ReactOS is a very interesting concept, but in the context of gaming is less than stellar.

I mean, we are in Holla Forums, that's kind of at the front of people's mind when they hear about windows alternatives.
It's also why I advocate VM/dualbooting over spending 900 hours with WINE.

Did you conveniently ignore my post here
?

Hardware passthrough is literally what it says on the tin: The instructions are passed through to the hardware without the overhead of the Host OS. That video is years old and ran 95+% of full speed, now think how it's improved since then.

Here's a more in depth video for your edu-tainment

Well this crap won't run most games at this point, That's why I'm talking about using a vm, also as you can see some people managed to get 95% of native performance

>weed emblem
why

Hardware passthrough and KVM. It can use your video card directly, and use the full capability of your CPU, or close to it. I use this for work all the time, and VPS would be useless without these concepts.

Perhaps because windows is actually just shit. Literally the only advantage it has is "some software only works on it", and that's not actually a merit to the OS.

there should be more guides on VM hardware passthroughs, the only one I can find is on reddit.

thats dank emblem to you.

DUDE

That teksyndicate video up there also has a guide in the youtube description, may be a bit old now as well, but there oughta be an update on their site too

can you not

WEED

Word has it MS's programmers are incompetent because the competent programmers go insane after a few months of mismanagement and awful codebases and leave in search of greener pastures.

Richard Stallman is not Linux. He didn't write Linux. I don't think he's made a single kernel patch to Linux. He wrote the GNU coreutils and Emacs.
Not all statism is Marxism.

That doesn't invalidate anything user, but instead helps my point.

RMS is a naive idealist pinko that creates for free.

RedHat fosters that attitude to make lots of money off of his commie creations.

What's not to get?

You think Gates is any different you D&C shill? Go pay for a botnet.

somebody post that GNU/Linux copypasta

he also never installed Linux yet tells people to install and use Linux.

Thats shitty, since open-source is mostly about freedom, independence from big powers while staying consistent for its base consumer base and not whoring itself.Its closer Trump, ironically

Stallman representation as the Gentoo/Linuxguy is a meme. So it doesnt mean jack shit. He is closer to a PR/marketing guy if this counts.

Also I just like laughing at Stallman's fat commie ass, lol.

Do you even know what the word shill is or do you just go around spouting shill at every shadow.

I checked the prerequisites and my hardware does not meet them.

Wew.