/vr/ general

/vr/ is dead as fuck and almost every single dedicated forum is cancer.
How come there is NOWHERE to talk about retro games on the internet nowadays without being swarmed with ledditards and 10,000+ post elitist faggots?

Also might I mention the fact the PS2 is considered "retro" now is fucking retarded. Anyone that thinks that shit should be considered close to retro until like 2020 should be gassed.

Whatfuckingever. I got this game today, it's pretty good.

Other urls found in this thread:

fineleatherjackets.net/monkeyinflation
hdtvsupply.com/at-hd530.html
mega.nz/#F!JEEAXAzT!VWs8QYAtbb2kb--IZi5RlA
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Guess it's considered "retro" because it's now 2 generations old.

Buyfag/Collector's threads around here are very /vr/ centric taking into account many of the participants are vets from there

I know your pain op. Last time I checked
/vr/ on halfchan it was nothing but console war baiting and constant shitposting. How's Target Earth by the way?

Pretty fucking good. Giant robots shooting the everloving fuck out of each other in SPACE.

I mean I know that sounds like standard fare but there's something special about it and I just can't place it.
Cozi soundtrack though.

been playing Sonic 3, a little disappointed with it since I just came back from Before the Sequel. But it's still very good. Been playing Sonic CD as well. I heard Ristar was similar to Sonic, this true? Oh and Gunstar Heroes is amazing holy shit.

Also /vr/ is everything up to PSX era, correct? Or is it just up to the Sega CD.

And very expensive these days for some reason.
I'm glad I have a cart lying around.

Dreamcast and before. Dreamcast was really gen 5.5 so I've always considered it to be retro.

Got it, I've been emulating all of my retro games since I lost my games over time. Oh well.

In some aspects the DC as more advanced than a PS2
It was fully 6th Gen, but catering towards performance instead of graphics, also their CD's sucked
IMO it was everything considered "traditional" aka no online or any kind of fuckery, thus it "ends" at Gen 5, even when the Gamecube can be somewhat considered to be traditional

Gas The Scalpers
Price Wars Now

All the games on it were like no bullshit just play the fucking game with a a huge focus on arcade titles. Arcades died when the PS2 came along and the DC shares some of the best versions of games that were released on other 5th gen consoles at the time.

Every fucking Genesis game has gone up TREMENDOUSLY in the past 2 years. I remember telling some of my online friends about how Nintendo collecting was bullshit and how everything else is still pretty reasonable but holy shit this is killing me.
Not just games, my PVM died and I looked online for a new one and almost had an aneurysm. I WAS going to buy a PC-Engine Duo R with that 300 bucks I slaved at a kitchen job for but neverfuckingmind.

I think that's been the fate of most non-Holla Forums vidya boards here, at least as far as I'm aware. That said, I know what you mean. A lot of what I play is older these days (mostly PS2 and earlier), and there's sadly not much demand for discussing them here on Holla Forums.

Not real sure what could be done about trying to get /vr/ here more visibility beyond people shilling for it (which seems to be a hit or miss affair; some people seem to despise seeing "competitor" boards shilled around), but at this point I'm not sure how much good it would do.

Part of the issue I always had back on halfchan, as far as sixth gen went, was that it was caught in the middle: Too old for much discussion on Holla Forums, but too recent for /vr/ there to want much to do with it (aside from comparing ports and remakes to /vr/ versions, and a few sixth gen games they let slide due to being good and early enough in the generation as a way of having more to discuss). Whether sixth gen is /vr/ yet or not (or depending on who you ask, ever will be), it still seemed annoying that it didn't have anywhere to really go. Even saw some attempts at Sixth Gen Generals on /vg/ back in the day that never took off either.

I think the last time I saw Gunstar Heroes it was like $60+ cart only.

Fucking hell, i started collecting for Gen 6 because it was cheap, and in my area Gamecube gets a decent pass at prices
But i wasted too much time and now Genesis is up? fuck this, seriously fuck this and fuck the jews, it's outrageous how the same games are now 20 bucks more expensive, and ironically everyone is selling them instead of back in the day, they were cheap but not occasionally seen
Expensive should be rarity/no one wants to sell, not "good game pls buy"
I had a 30+ game list, and i didn't buy a single one, i'm truly wasted
A-at least i have 150 Gen 6 games

I mean I paid like 13 dollars for OP pic but I just got lucky on an auction. People want like 30 bucks for this game. Think about how I felt when I wanted to buy Burning Force the other day only to see it's like 60 bucks CIB now.

I saw Truxton complete for 100, and a friend of mine found the cart at 3 bucks
These prices are insane, but i thought Truxton was a special case due to memes and due to it being actually a rare + good game
And the Saturn is not free from sin, it's the Scalp City console in many games since always, but many of the good ones are actually dirt cheap (Virtua Fighters, Daytona, Rally) for now

What the situation on the Genesis like these days as far as prices go? Has it reached SNES/Gamecube levels of scalping for most games worth playing? I admittedly never gave it all that much attention, but the ones I remember seeing going for a fair bit were things like Gunstar Heroes, Castlevania Bloodlines, and Warsong.

Sixth Gen is still pretty cheap overall, aside from the Gamecube, where even common games have seen large markups (and even moreso for some of the rare ones). Also a handful of pricy PS2, GBA, and Xbox games around as well. But yeah, with various older systems, theres been a bit of an "it's old, so it's worth gold" mindset among resellers, especially with Nintendo games. Wouldn't shock me if most of the people shelling out stupid prices on stuff are people that had the systems growing up that now have their own money and can spend what they want, and the scalpers are all too happy to see what sort of prices they can get away with. It's how you hear about stores that only put out one copy of notoriously expensive stuff like Earthbound or Suikoden II at a time to create an illusion that they only have one in stock, when in reality they have an entire box in their stockroom of hoarded copies.

Truxton was 40 dollars complete only 2 years ago. That's an absolutely reasonable price considering it's rare and good and if I had the opportunity to buy it for 40 right now I would because I want it. 100? Nah fuck that shit.

Remember when we used to laugh at how stupidly expensive Earthbound is? L:ittle did we know it would start to affect everything. I remember selling my copy when it was at it's longtime peak of $230USD to get money for PC parts

What even happened there? A massive amount of hipsters suddenly plugging the game to get demand (and thus prices) to shoot up, or did some guy luck out and sell his for some (at the time) ridiculous amount and suddenly everyone else felt they could be getting more for it, causing that high extreme to suddenly become "average" when everyone started asking that much?

Too long ago, man
We are not laughing anymore

In four years the PS3 will be a retro game.

This this ABSOLUTELY THIS.
I got into retro games around 2008 or so when I was a teenager. Since I grew up with the Gamecube I took notice to what was happening to NES prices at the time so I took action while the games were still cheap. I did the same with the N64. Now I own just about everything I'd care to own for the system and my collection is worth WAY more than I ever expected it would be.

God only fucking knows what's going to happen when people that grew up with the PS3 become adults. My current collection of just fun shit I bought since 2013 when I got one will be worth a fortune.

And someone screencap this post because I'm about to make some RADICAL predictions. In 10 years the Vita will be the next Sega Saturn. Most of the games it has are obscure shit that nobody owns and the system bombed everywhere except Japan. It doesn't help that it has a shitton of limited run games that were only available via online orders in limited quantities spread by word of mouth. The only difference is that this time importing games probably won't be too much cheaper like the Saturn currently is. (seriously I have a lot of Saturn games and only like 5 of them are American)

Pls stop

I've never stopped laughing at buyfags. I'll take my glorious 1:1 emulation and beautiful, customizable shaders that provide a superior experience to original hardware.

All for free :^)

More or less that, Starmen.net was and still is a pretty big site full of dedicated fans and the English cart itself is fairly rare because of how poorly the game did here despite the fairly extensive ad campaign.

Going over fifty bucks for it, complete with the air freshener and all that other junk that came with it, was pretty much where scalpers and hipsters decided "let's see how high we can raise this game before fans call bullshit" and they just never really did

Shaders are shit and almost all emulators cannot even output at native resolutions of the consoles they emulate. Windows Vista and later and almost all modern graphics cards are incapable of outputting less than 640x480. You can on GANOO+Linux but most people here use Windows considering this is a board about VIDEO GAMES.

I love emulation as much as the next guy but you faggots need to stop acting like you're better than people who spend money on a hobby they care about. Also let me know when the Saturn and Dreamcast (absolute goldmines of spectacular games) have worth a shit emulation.

I wasn't allowed much as far as vidya when I was young, and was only able to really get started picking up things I missed out on maybe four or five years ago. Still, I try to do my part and avoid justifying retarded scalper prices. My patience has paid off some with the Gamecube, PS1, PS2, and DS games (it's not even close to retro, but Gamestop really did a number on the prices for complete copies of various games). Feels nice find something I've been meaning to look into anywhere from 1/2 to 1/6 the price just through a bit of perseverance in looking.

Unfortunately for stuff prior to the PS1, stores here are too smart about those, so I've never managed any really good NES, SNES, or Genesis finds. Mostly content to just emulate with those due to the pricing issues and condition a lot of carts are in these days, rather than feel forced to shell out $30 for something like Castlevania III, or $60+ for Lufia II. Also helps that those systems have decent fan-translation scenes (more-so the FC and SFC) where you'd need emulation or a flash cart anyhow.

Sony's western branches can be blamed for that. And even now, some of the games that saw Asian English physical print runs but no physical prints in western countries can be a fair amount once they stop being printed, and a few of the really limited print games the west did see copies of, like Ar Nosurge Plus, are already a lot. Saw a boxed copy recently locally for $90 preowned, which as far as I've heard is CHEAP for that compared to what people online are apparently asking.

Has that sort of thing noticeably happened with any other game? A community pushing their copies for all the money they can, I mean (not so much just various games getting fucking ridiculous in price under natural circumstances).

Honestly Earthbound is the only game I can recall really reaching that level of community dedication, which is probably why the prices for it escalated as high as they did.

No, you're just retarded and don't know what you're doing.
Definitely retarded.
But we are better than you buyfags. The money you're spending isn't being put back into the hobby and used to create more vidya, it's being used to line the pockets of kike scalpers.

Almost forgot:
SSF and Reicast can play pretty much every game worth playing, and unless you're a weeb or play nigger-tier fighting games, there are like

It wouldn't surprise me to see prices start going back up in a few years, but I'm not exactly sure anyone will ever call 7th gen "retro," even those kids that grew up with it as their first console; maybe a nostalgia factor, but not retro. Still, there's a few PS3 games that have held their value at a relatively high amount compared to other games on the system (stuff like Catherine, Dragon's Crown, and Tales of Graces f were all a good $30 or more last I went looking locally), and Class of Heroes 2G is one of those games where the physical version was a limited run anyhow. Think it was up to $80 or so preowned.

Yeah. I mean, look at something like the Otogi games, which sold really damn poorly worldwide (not helped by the fact that the media didn't want to waste much time or space bothering to cover them). Even with From Soft's increase in popularity with the Souls games, that pair of Xbox games haven't shot up (unless $12-18 used complete each is "high" compared to prior prices); either the influx of From Soft fans don't really care for the non King's Field/Shadow Tower/Souls games, or what fanbase Otogi does have hasn't been able to get all that many people to bother looking into it. Meanwhile, there's Atlus, where demand for a lot of what they developed and/or brought over seems to have gotten a certain amount of demand these days (barring some like Dual Hearts no one seems real inclined to look into), though at least for some games they actually bother with doing reprints, even once the system is long since past gen, in order to let fans of stuff like SMT get their hands on actual copies without having to pay $60+ per game.

Anyhow, with Earthbound, were SNES game prices already going up at the time, or did it kind of start the trend of it becoming scalper paradise?

I can kind of sort of relate.
I grew up with the GC but I didn't really get into games until I got a Genesis at the flea market. I didn't care for videogames too much until then but overnight I became an arcade junkie.
There's absolutely NOTHING wrong with emulation and I;m really glad shit like that exists. I like my real hardware a hell of a lot but I'd be kidding myself if I expect my consoles to be around in 100 years (except maybe a Gameboy those things will never die, most solid piece of hardware I have ever held in my life.) Plus unless you're already balls deep or exclusively buy Jap games it's a really really expensive hobby.
I just hope emulation improves because the scene seems to have died a long, long time ago.

That looks like fucking shit. People that think CRTs are good because MUH SCANLINES and not for every other reason should kill themselves.
Some can but most can't.
Yeah and we all pay taxes. I can spend my money on whatever I damn well please. I make video games as a hobby, so I don't understand why I would need money for something like that unless I had a company or tried to sell my shit.

Post discarded. I could name at least 100 games for the thing that are worth playing. Of course if I took the time to type any you would discard every single one of them despite never playing any of them and likely never having owned either platform.

Earthbound is a very, VERY special case. I love the game as much as the next guy and was privileged enough to play it on a real SNES, but if you ever meet the average Mother fanboy you will understand. Those people are the goddamned definition of hipster. Just walk into a college and you'll see what I mean.

Buying PC parts neither does
Or buying your Doritos… oh wait, that actually does, you win

Checked.

Let me outmeme you and go back to the trash

Got the link to that site? Been looking for it for ages.

Fuck you, buddy
Here you go
fineleatherjackets.net/monkeyinflation

It looks better than your overpriced original hardware. Go take a picture right now of your shitty original hardware playing FFIX and show me how it's better. You won't and you can't.
Likening you getting assfucked by kike scalpers to having your shitpussy gaped by the government is a more apt comparison than you intended to make.
Yeah, a bunch of shitty arcade ports and weeb games. I bet you own a fucking VITA too.

Buying PC parts gives me a device that can play every game worth playing. You can't say the same :^)

I would like to talk about Obscure and even Titles which don't even got reviews, wiki entries or elsewhere.

Taking a picture of a good CRT and having you view it on a shitty LCD is SURELY going to make a hell of an impact. I don't even own FFIX anymore. DQ > FF

I buy most of my games at yard sales but if I buy a game online for a reasonable price then it's my goddamned business.
You're damn right I own a Vita. It's the only console that has games right now.

I even got a 3DS for free because some crazy lady threw her screaming kid's console out the window of a speeding car in my neighborhood and I own maybe 2 games for it in comparison to my ~30 Vita games.
To be fair I'm talking to someone that likes Final Fantasy IX.
I built a PC that can play any game on the market and the only game that I felt was worth the money is EYE. It's just a Loonix box now with a Windows partition. Insane buyers remorse.

I know of a SHITLOAD of jap PS1 games that don't have wiki entires since I own them. Some really cool shit too. Here's a couple PS2 games that I own that deserve a hell of a lot more attention.

From which year backwards is stuff 'retro' today? 2000?

/vr/ says 2003, which is reasonable. PS2 shouldn't be considered retro just yet though.

I had a PS1, Gamecube, and GBA when I was young, but across all of them maybe only had ten or so games total, and if I ever wanted to try out anything else, I pretty much had to trade in three or more of the games I knew for sure I liked. So I just stuck with what I had and missed out on a lot.

I'm not sure I've ever personally met one that I know or sure was/is big into Earthbound, but I've seen plenty of the fedora type (maybe the occasional scarf ones as well, though it stays too warm here for much of that) at the stores I go trawling for good finds at. Surprisingly enough I don't see many in the video games section (more-so in the music areas), but I'm not going to complain when it nets me stuff like Path of Radiance for $10 (seriously, when it's marked as that low, I can't imagine the person that traded it in got more than a a few dollars for it in exchange).

I'd swear I'd heard bad stuff about that one in the past, though maybe I'm thinking of a different one. Is that a case where it's actually good but the moonspeakers have been vocal about it not being worth the time (similar to way moonspeakers managed to delay the fan translation of Treasure of the Rudras by apparently claiming it wasn't worth the effort, or so I've read), or does it strike you as more of a love it or hate it game in the series? Just curious about it since that game (and Goemon as a whole itself I suppose) don't get brought up that often.

But yeah, if it's a game the west never saw and hasn't been fan translated (or was only translated recently and as such still hasn't seen much of a western playerbase), it's not going to have nearly as much attention as one that the west has gotten.

8/vr/ considers 2003 and earlier retro, but half/vr/ adamantly defended the cut off as New Years Eve 2000, and I heard that even though the Dreamcast was considered an exception by some, there was a lot of debate on it, to the point that apparently whether one stayed up or not depended on the mod or jannie on duty at the time, or something. Can't say for sure; never really looked into the Dreamcast threads there myself.

As stated earlier, a few non-/vr/ games seemed to be considered "acceptable" for discussion to add a bit more content to some threads than just having one or two games to talk about. Stuff like Wild Arms 3 and Shadow Hearts in their respective Wild Arms and Koudelka threads.

You know you can use a PC for other shit than just games, right? Also, maybe you shouldn't buy gaming hardware if you, y'know, don't intend to actually play games. I mean there's always shit to play - games come out all the time, and you won't know they're shit until you try them. Some even end up being fun. Of course
implies that you aren't a piratefag, which might be the root of your problem. You don't want to fork over money for a product you don't know will be good, but you never know if a product is going to be fun because you'll never try it.

I do but Loonix ran fine on the Pentium 4 I had before.
I pirate MOST PC games with a few exceptions. I mean the hardware costs.

Yeah, do you know something about Dark Native Apostle? I found no reviews.

Absolutely nothing. I'll totally add it to my list of things to import when I get the chance. I love going into games that have little to no information out there. Ever heard of this game? It's really cool and by the same devs as Juggernaut.

Oh fuck nevermind this game is like 10 bucks. I bought it just for you user!~

I approve

This was my most recent haul (yes the DS and Xbox games aren't really retro, but I figured I'd start collecting for them before they are and the prices go crazy).

Also, fuck the haters, Barkley Shut Up And Jam is hella fun. And I don't even like basketball games.

I emulate as well, but there's a big part of the game missing when all you have are the files.

You miss the feeling of seeing the cartridges lined up in a row like some 1980's sci fi data bank.

You miss the soft clack of plastic on wood as you pick them up and set them down, the feeling of holding it in your hand.

You miss looking at the artwork in childlike wonder and excitement, and the feeling that you cannot wait to play it because of that artwork.

You miss all the times you had to blow off the dust before hearing that amazing click when you put the cartridge in.

You miss holding the controller and staring at a big CRT screen as the logos light up the whole room.

It's kind of like porn with an onahole vs actual sex. Emulation just doesn't have a lot of the physical interaction that makes gaming so special.

Out of curiosity, what are you using to play out of region PS2 games? I mean, do you have an actual Japanese PS2, or are you using swap magic or some mod to get around the region lock?

Well, I do hope there's more you're considering looking into than Prince of Persia: Whatever version that is. And with the DS having had actual hard, protective plastic cases, if with some patience you can find complete copies of stuff at a good price, you should make the effort. Only cart only DS game I have is Nostalgia, and only because with some prints the game has a gamebreaking bug and I wasn't going to drop $35 on a potentially broken one when I could pay $5 or so for one that might wind up working and see about acquiring a cover (and honestly, the US cover for that one is pretty bad compared to the Japanese one, missing the point of the faded sepia look) and manual later on.

I have a Japanese PS2. I saw the game is in PAL too but I don't have a PAL PS2. I really want one but I haven't really looked into it. How bullshit is it to get one? I'm about to get a new PVM so I will once again have the ability to display 50hz. How else am I going to play travesties like Michigan in their full localized glory?
I have really shitty Japanese skills but I can manage to get through lots of stuff with the knowledge I have so far.. Gotta obenkyou~!!!!

this looks good enough on an IPS panel

Lotte's CRT glsl shader in sdlmame btw

Not sure. Where I live (SW US), all I've personally seen as far as PS2s go at various stores have been NTSC ones, except for one Japanese PS2 I had some interest in (I'd found some really cheap games before that have full translation scripts online and had been looking for a way to potentially play them) that unfortunately had a faulty disc drive that 3/4ths the time apparently had spinning issues (I'd brought the games in to test whether or not it worked before considering dropping $50 on it). The store with it was one of the better ones in town, and apparently shipped it off to another branch that could see about fixing it, but it never came back. Not sure if i ever got fixed, or if it just wound up sold over at the store it got sent to. Shame that Sony was still big on the region lock until 7th gen with the PS3 and PSP being import friendly.

Can't recall ever seeing a PAL one.

You could have just been up front and disclosed that you're a hardcore weeb, and I wouldn't have given you any shit about it :^)

That's still not supporting the industry, that's just a retard tax. If your justification for collecting shit is just "it makes me happy" whatever, go for it. Just cut that shit out about how you fags are the ones who "care about the hobby" while throwing your money down a black hole, and shitting on emulation which is actually increasing the accessibility of the hobby you claim to care about.

That's just one big nostalgia trip, and falls into the "I do it because it makes me happy" category. Trying to recapture the magic of gaming in the early 90s is okay, I can respect that, but then you say retarded shit like this:

For you, it's about the "experience" of gaming, while for me, gaming has always been about the gameplay itself. I'd have given away my Genesis, SNES and PS1 in a heartbeat if I could have had the entire NTSC-U libraries of those systems at my fingertips, all for free, with even better visual fidelity like I do now.

I hate to make this comparison, but you're honestly making the same argument that the idiots who buy beats headphones or other overpriced "lifestyle" brands make.

Nigga you dumb.

Precisely zero percent of what you're spending is going to the people who actually made that game. Are you really trying to make a case for how second-hand sales are actually benefiting the industry?

They're benefiting the fucking resale industry, and that has fuck-all to do with creating new content.

I was thinking online myself. I can't imagine there are many people in the USA that care. There are a few cool things in PALland. Like PS1 Earthworm Jim 2.

Not really. I like some weeb games. Enjoying Shinovi Versus which I just pirated, but I just wanna have fun.
I never insinuated you care about the hobby any less because you emulate. I emulate a shitton in addition to actual hardware which I have said many times. It's just that the people who insist emulation is the only logical thing to do are fucking morons. There are other facets to retro games than the game themselves, and this includes the hardware. I am already really invested into it so if I just wanna buy a game for a console I own and it's not too expensive I don't see any reason not to. I like cool boxes and coverart. I live being able to take some random games over to a friend's house and just play video games all night on a good old Trinitron while drinking lots and lots of soda and eating junk food. Swapping carts out and being like "Hey man this game is cool as fuck you should get it sometime." All the while talking about life, work, women, and shit. You can't replicate that on an emulator.

Does remind me that the PS2s are all at least (mostly, as far as the library goes) backwards compatible, so an out of region one gives access to not just its region's PS2 games, but PS1 games as well. Unfortunate that even though the PS3 itself is region free, it doesn't apply to PS1 and/or PS2 games one might try to play on it.

You're just making it sound better and better.

What's the nerdiest tattoo you could get (on the butt)?

Oh, definitely - I have a few Mario games, Iron Man and Cooking Mama.

The DS version of the movie tie in to Iron Man is actually really good past the first stage, I'd recommend it if you can get it for less than $5

It's still about the gameplay - the only physical games I haven't played out of my collection are the ones that are still plastic wrapped, but even those I've gotten roms/ISOs for just so I could play.

My sex analogy still stands - at the end of the day, you still cum hard and are left happy from the experience. You just don't get all the touching, full body movement, foreplay and latex play that you would with a real person.

I'd hit it.

No I want it on the butt, not above it.
That's the zelda one isn't it? I think maybe that's a little too overused

You can though.

Laptop + hdtvsupply.com/at-hd530.html and the CRT of your choice.

Except you'd just take two seconds to magic another copy of the game into existence and he's got it too.

As someone who has actually had sex, I don't think it does.

brain problems

I meant Quake, not Zelda, oops!

>Laptop + hdtvsupply.com/at-hd530.html and the CRT of your choice.
Ew. Nasty.
Then the other person can't recieve the same benefits. My friends like physical games too.

Yeah, I've heard there's a few pretty good licensed games on the DS. Namely Aliens Infestation and the DS version of Thor.

Not sure how much experience you have with the system's library, but here's this if you're needing some more potentials to look into (some don't have a western release though; the DS is region free though if you know the language a game is in). Unfortunately I don't get a chance to update it that much; DS threads not getting made a lot these days, nor getting much attention when they are.

Not /vr/ related, so non-bumping post.

I guess. I always kept my Genesis, SNES and N64 games in a big plastic bin. The manuals and boxes got tossed after skimming them once. The only games I actually kept the manuals for were my PS1 games since they were also the covers in the case.

at this point you may as well start playing farmville you fucking casual

Anyone here played Truxton? If you haven't, please do. You won't regret it.

What it like? Not sure when I'll get around to it (backlog's pretty big), but I'm usually up to tossing yet another game into my folder, and it seems absent from my Genesis folder at the moment.

Were you that same user in that "under-appreciated games" thread the other day? Wonder what happened to that thread that left it suddenly unable to load.

I wish "Do not bump" would reset after a post is made. Forgot I had it on.

Hi Mark.

bump

I didn't realize I had so many sports games on it. Outside of those, I pretty much only have Mortal Kombat and Vectorman.

After holding on to this thing for so long, that really doesn't even sound that radical of a prediction. This thing is doomed to slide uncelebrated into the annals of time.

It's difficult to even try to talk about retro games on here because these dipshit ledditards just post hipster memes about how you only like it because it's old.

it's great

bumping with great sounding and great looking ZX Spectrum demake of Castlevania

If you're looking for Toaplan shooters, be sure to check out Dogyuun. No console ports that I know of, but runs in MAME.

I've been playing lots of old games on emulators on my Vita. I think the Vita is the best thing to emulate old games, it's comfy as fuck.

The vita would be the GOAT emulation handheld if it was easy to hack and didn't have proprietary memcards.

I lost my PS1 power cable and have a spare generic ps3 slim power cable from china laying around. Do you think it's safe to use it in my ps1?

As someone who bought EB when it was still new this is so painfully true. The Mother 'community' is pretty much defined by hipster cancer.

fangamer.net sells overpriced junk for hipsters and is an offshoot of the biggest EB fansite starmen.net; I used to occasionally buy a shirt from there but after they started selling shit like Ashley Burch DVDs I won't go near it.

inb4 shilling for fangamer

The Vita is as good as a PSP as an emulator machine since all emulators work only on the PSP side of the vita and aside from a n64 emulator what else is it lacking? Saturn? It can even play PSP games perfectly.

I find it hard to call anything retro if it's fully 3D.

Why not? There were fully 3D games back in the 70s. I think you mean polygon games, but then again those existed back in the 80s as well.

Wew

Anyone who doesn't just emulate a game is either a collector or hipster.

I really wonder if these people even play games.

Any this thread needs a soundtrack. Enjoy!

I've been shilling these two games on Holla Forums for the past few weeks. They are both really amazing. Soul Star is like a cross between Star Fox and Space Harrier, and Magical Pop'n is a really, really good platformer. One of the best of it's generation, in my opinion.

Op first of all you come here complaining about other vr forums yet i n the same breath suggest that people with different opinion be gassed . It is stubborn and closed mind people like you who can stay away from /vr/ at no loss for us

I suppose Magical Pop'n likely doesn't need a translation (I don't think most platformers are all that likely to, unless they're of the more story oriented type), but does it have a fan translation?

Biggest issues the Vita are the memory card prices (also the lack of an ability to just use a regular SD card or something) and Sony's western branches really botching their attempts to get it to do well here.

8ch /vr/ has been dead for awhile, OP.

If you are talking about 4chan /vr/ that place is filled with Reddit faggots and self-title hipsters. Seriously, there was thread about some faggot crying about the term hipster having negative connotation followed by at least a dozen different posters agreeing with them.

Yes, by Aeon Genesis I believe.

Cool, I'll look into grabbing the game and patching it. Does it seem worth putting on the worthwhile SNES/SFC game image?

So i picked up a turbo grafx for 150 bucks, a little much, but the guy promised some free games/accessories so i figured i may as well take the gamble, especially since most turbo games are pretty expensive.

earthbound as far as snes games go, isn't really rare, it sold, just nowhere near as well as a nintendo game usually does and most of them only sold when they were put on clearance. i think people are either hoarding it,or destroying them so the value goes up.

You don't need to be a collector or a hipster to to enjoy games outside a fucking PC. If you're that opposed to buying individual games, you can always just buy a fucking everdrive and store all the games on that.

I haven't been on on 4chan since 2014.

bump

Definitely, it's better than half the games on there.

Mega CD model 1 came today. It's great so far, no issues like I had for the model 2. Sonic CD still loads like shit, but nothing changed there.

What are ya'll nigs opinions on flashcarts?

What is yours?

They're good to combat scalpers, but I'd rather have the games individually.

Very useful devices, especially when you can play some of the more weirder things on hardware (MSU1 hacks for SNES, Bad Apple for Genesis, etc.)

Does anyone know if I can use the ps3 slim power cable on the OG PlayStation?

Take a guess.

PS3 Slim has a 2pin cord, PS3 Fat has a 3pin.

Ah shit, forgot the second image.

Personally I consider a console retro when it's no longer playable without adapters or equipment that isn't sold anymore.

Modern TVs don't support the low resolution of PS1/N64/Saturn games anymore. 480p however is still supported so GCN/PS2/Xbox is not retro.

fuuuuck I miss halfchan /vr/
My last big /vr/ find was a big ol' stack of PS1 games. Resident Evil 1/2, Silent Hill, Tomb Raider 2, Crash 2, a few others. Classic stuff. Was pretty rad. I also found Brave Fencer Musashi recently, and starting it is now my prime motivation for getting through the games I'm playing now.
If there's one shitty thing about garage sale finds, it's that buying in such bulk makes it really hard to get through anything. I remember a time when I had completed every game I owned. Now I deal with this shit on top of a Steam library.
Do you think the retro gaming bubble is a reflection of the modern gamer's frustration with current gen gaming, or purely hipster bullshit? As in, if modern gaming weren't such shit, would NES games be any cheaper?

I consider anything that's not current to be retro. Retro is a very subjective term and everyone has there own take on it

I've been playing a lot of Dragon Slayer: The Legend of Heroes lately. It's been great so far. A lot of people call it a Dragon Quest clone, but honestly it's more like Phantasy Star, just with slightly less grinding, a more fleshed out story, and no 3D dungeons.

I will say I certainly do find it easier to get around to games I actually have copies of. Emulation's nice and all (especially for games where I don't feel like dropping crazy amounts of money on, or that didn't come out here in the first place), but I think having access to so many games at once can be a bit hard on actually being able to decide what to play next. Especially when there's no feeling of wanting to get your $X worth from it (whatever it is you paid for something).

Maybe in some ways. I find myself going back to prior generations and playing stuff I didn't get to play when they were current, but I'm only picking up actual copies of stuff for particular systems, and only when I find them at a decent price rather than paying scalper prices out the ass.

But I do think that one of the bigger things has been people that did have these games and systems growing up, and now have plenty of money to drop on stuff they grew up with, and the resellers take advantage of nostalgia and increased demand to make a profit and see much higher they can push the prices and still get sales. Especially when it comes to Nintendo (which isn't to say that Sega and old PS1 games don't have some bad prices at times, but stuff like the SNES and Gamecube have been hit pretty hard with scalpers).

The original one? Did that one even come west (if so, how's the translation quality)?

Little bit of both. I think this geek chic shit definitely isn't helping, but at the same time when that fad finally fucks off the prices aren't really going to go down all that much, especially for shit like turbo grafx

Damn you own a copy of that game? Fucking nice.

It did, but on the Turbo Duo/Grafx CD, and very late in it's life so good luck finding a copy. No idea about the translation, but it does have a really cheesy early 90's dub.

Does it at least emulate well, or perhaps have a Wii VC release I could find a wad for (the way Ys I and II have) to download?

I should just fucking kill myself

Oh yeah, it emulates just fine, you may have to burn a CDR or get something that mounts isos, as some of the best tg16 emulators like magic engine don't let you just pop an iso in,

Checking emuparadise, I'm seeing three Dragon Slayer related links in the PCECD section. I'm guessing that Dragon Slayer: Eiyuu Densetsu is just the Japanese version of Dragon Slayer: The Legend of Heroes, but was Dragon Slayer 2 ever fan translated? I just see a Japanese version there with no mention of a pre-applied patch (which isn't the best indicator that a game has been fan translated; some places are slow to put patched version, or updated versions in some cases, up for download).

I don't know how common this is, but I beat the game by finding a route through the last stage that gave me enough fireballs to just spam the final bosses to death. Took me ages.
I fucking love Ninja Gaiden, but any time I replay it, I just call it a day after beating phase one of the final boss. Once is enough.

Nope, very few PCE CD games get fan translations because of the VA, it's just not feasible to do subs on the thing. Sad part is the people who translated the first one were working on the second before they went belly up

It's my first time playing the game so I'm gonna leave it there, I've been playing for like 8 hours.
A guy told me that in difficulty terms it was on par with Castlevania 3. That nigger can't be serious, this is way harder.

That sucks. So it's a case where any translations (for the voiced parts anyhow) would require hard coding or something, since it sound like there's no Japanese text during those to replace?

The translation is surprisingly good for it's time. It's actually feels a bit anachronistic to see a game that looks so old have such a competent localization.

The ISO Zone has an English version that's already sorted out into just a bin. file, a CUE sheet, and some art work.

All you have to do is

Once that's done, just pop it into your drive and boot the CD in Magic Engine and you're good to go.

Nah, man. CV3 is one of the few games I've ever just flat given up on, but I could manage Ninja Gaiden. It's just a lot of memorization.
It is now known that the whole thing where you get sent back after dying to the final boss is a glitch, fully unintended, and there's a romhack to fix it. Real men beat it as it was released on cart though.
I really want to get NG3, but I want to get the Famicom version. The US release limited the number of continues and doubled the damage you take. Fuck that.

I know what you mean. Back when I first gave Tales of Eternia (or Tales of Destiny II as it was called in the US at the time) a go, while the English voicing isn't that impressive (though I found them more charming than actually bad; also have to give Meredy's English voice actress credit for dubbing the game's Melnics language when her character speaks it as well, rather than Namco just reusing the Japanese lines for it), the translation work actually seemed pretty darn good, and apparently the localization director they had for it had wanted to make sure it was pretty close to the original Japanese version. English Arte names are a bit wonky (though it wasn't until Symphonia and Legendia they really started to have standardized English names for those anyhow), but aside from a few typos here and there (how does "Sekundes Corridor" make sense? Should have "Sekundes Collider") it seemed really damn solid compared to some of the other translations for various games at the time. I just wish the western versions had the skits left in them (though I suppose I'm just assuming they were there in the Japanese version; Phantasia PS1 came out before Eternia and had skits too, so I'd think Eternia would have as well).

Koudelka's another one that seemed to have really good translation work (both main plot, flavor text, and diary/letters), and also has the benefit of a surprisingly good dub (which the Japanese version also uses, which makes sense given the game's European setting; they just added subtitles to the previously voice only cutscenes).

Why'd they do that? To claim the game was longer than it otherwise would be?

Damn man, well I won't give up on NG, you try to beat CV3, is my favorite of the classic castlevanias. If you get Alucard it gets easier in the last stage. But if you beat it with only Trevor you get the best ending.

I have no idea. It's one of the most baffling balance changes I've ever seen in a localization. Maybe someone on the translation team was disappointed that the ball crushing difficulty difficulty had eased up and took matters into his own hands?

Will do. I really enjoyed what I did play of it. I think I did have Alucard last time, and I got as far as the stage with the falling blocks. It wasn't so much the difficulty of that segment as it was how long it took to get through coupled with having to figure out the boss afterwards. Really wore me down.

Where do you guys go shopping for retro games anyways? There used to be lots of them at thrift stores for me, it was always fun to comb around and find things, especially this one thrift store that had some 3DO game, Sonic R for PC, and a 32X. But that was years back, it seems after 2010 you can barely find shit unless its at a flea market, so you practically have to rely on emulators, piracy, or hope resellers offer fair deals.

And buying shit online aint as fun as finding a copy near you.

I was able to plug my ps1 into my Sony TV that's only about 1.5 years old

A few games do have text during the VA, but they're few and far between, and according to a PCE expert it's not really possible for romhackers to add it text to a game, the console can't handle it.

*add text to a cutscene that doesn't already have it

Garage sales, mostly. I can find a good haul every couple of months, seems like, and every other weekend or so I come away with a couple neat things. I do wind up empty handed fairly often though.
I comb my local thrift shops on occasion and rarely come up with much, but just often enough that it's worthwhile to keep doing it. Except for that one Goodwill that price checks on eBay and prints out incomplete "buy it now" auctions with prices a good $20 over the average to display with the games.
I once went to a Craigslist garage sale that was on a Thursday afternoon for some reason. I had to knock on their door to see anything, but I came out of it with a SNES plus SMRPG, DKC2, LttP, a couple others I'm forgetting, and a mound of loose PS1 sports games (plus THPS2 and Strider), all for almost nothing. So miracles do happen; you just have to persevere.

Depends on how old it is. I can still find occasional really good deals on some otherwise pricy Gamecube, PS2, and PS1 games at local multimedia places (which is pretty hit or miss; some games they ask more than anywhere else where will, others they ask a fraction of what others do). Anything earlier than that and you're shit out of luck though; pretty much everywhere I know knows of the SNES' reputation as having a lot potential for making scalper bucks.

The best vidya specific store I know of asks anywhere from a few dollars to $20-30 less than the other places around here on average (depends on the price of the game), but it can still be kind of expensive. They also offer cartridge and disc repair/buffing which is nice, along with letting you try a game out before buying it, and if you're the type to want to trade stuff in for in-store credit (I usually don't trade stuff in), what they give you is better than the other stores around here do (I think a complete copy of a game in good condition will get you about %40-45 of what they sell it for, while other places here might give you %25-30).

Same, though it's mainly because that, when it comes to games I have to buy preowned anyhow (I don't mind buying new games or reprinted copies of stuff off Amazon and the like), I like to actually give what I'm looking into buying a personal looking at the condition of, rather than just trusting an online sellers description or photos, if they even bother to provide either of those. I usually only buy a preowned game online if I honestly can't find a copy locally for a prolonged period of time. Plus I can usually find stuff cheaper in person than online, just takes some patience.

And I really dislike having to sift through a ton of games marked "Like New" only for the seller to happily proclaim it's cart or disc only.

I've only ever had slight luck with them where I live. For the most part any games people are selling are shovelware, sports, or licensed shit (and not even good licensed games like The Warriors). And sometimes when I do actually find someone selling actually good stuff, they're wanting ebay prices at a fucking garage sale. Main decent finds I've had were Echo Night: Beyond for $20 (usually goes for $30 where i live and I don't see it too often; seller was actually fun to chat with since they'd played and really liked another series I was playing at the time) and Pikmin 2 for $2.

Also doesn't help that it's so hot where I live. Today's high was 117.

Has any of you looked through the PC98 roms that based user posted the other day?

So many cool things, I wish I knew Japanese

Didn't mean to reply

Garage sales do seem very area dependent. I've gotten the impression from threads like this that I'm better than average, even though I haven't seen a cartridge since last summer and am very well acquainted with stacks of PS2 sports games. At least I've had good luck with PS1 stuff lately.

Didn't grab it recently, but I think I have the collection you're talking about. I never actually went poking through it since I don't know Japanese and have no knowledge of the PC-98's library past Touhou. Any recommendations?

Nice. I've played a little Popful Mail on Sega CD. Seemed neat. Thanks for the recommendations.

They could always do the Ys IV thing and re-voice the lines in English. But that's kind of impractical, since the average fan translator sounds like Mr. Enter, and most likely can't afford to hire voice actors.

It's right here and on countless other image board video game boards you pretentious idiot. Stop compartmentalizing games based on how old they are and make a fucking thread when you want to talk about a game.

Amazingly overrated you mean. Worst Treasure game.

Reminds me that the SFC game is apparently fan translated. Anyone given that a go, and if so, how is it?

Anyhow, I do have to say that's some pretty nice looking spriting in that image.

Kinda lame final fantasy clone with a ton of spells from the show, also if you wanted a game with goury, amelia, and zelos then you're pretty much out of luck, you don't get them until near the end of the game in favor of a rotating cast of minor characters and OC nobodies.

So, were they trying to make it an original game set in the Slayer universe rather than an adaptation of the series (or a part of the series) that fans would already be familiar with?

Why don't more games do this?

Most will still display it, but they think 240p is 480i and it's an unplayable mess.

Also this game is fucking weird. Really weird.

Wonder what drugs they were on.

That's not saying very much, even the lesser Treasure games are still really good.

Except Gunstar Heroes, which sucks. Wario World is pretty garbage too.

Dynamite Headdy is my favorite.

You just have shit taste.

The problem is it's not really original, also the rotating cast is infuriating as fuck because characters can join/leave in a matter of seconds and you'll never have a full party for more than a few minutes.

I finished Robocop vs Terminator for the genesis recently and man that game lags in the later stages when enemies just shit out projectiles.

Worth it to avoid the reseller jew and to play Wolf3D on the genesis.

Strikes me as shame no one's bothered to fan translate it. Though i suppose the question is, is it actually a good game underneath all the bizarreness, or is just how crazy it gets the main reason anyone plays it?

Do you at least keep whatever you might have equipped on them when they leave, or is it a constant slog to gear characters up?

I don't remember 100% but i'm going say it's not likely.

Essential for defeating the merchants' ambitions. Play everything as it was meant to be played. Play ROM hacks and translations on actual hardware. Play original games. Never get taken to the cleaners for obscure titles.

Will never happen, if virtual console and emulators couldn't do it, this won't either.

I never understood why /vr/ even needed to exist. Seems like another baseless addition Moot made for no reason than to make things "new".

Yeah, it's not like it did much of anything either. Anons still talked about older games mostly on Holla Forums anyway.

I'd think you could probably find some working analog PS1 controllers at a pawn shop or multimedia place, if you don't have an actually decent used game store to go to. I'm pretty sure the used game store I like around where I live has plenty of DS1s in stock, as I'm pretty sure the PS1 systems (and parts) don't have quite the same demand as the PS2 and PS3 these days (considering both of those can play PS1 games, most of them anyhow).

wew lad

Bumpan.

I only played Megaman X4 and 8 when I was a kid, which ones do you recommend I should play now?

The first two X games are the best in the series. I'd recommend playing those first.

MMC5 for Everdrive v8 when?
SuperFX/SA1 for SD2SNES when?

What is a good price for a complete copy of parasite Eve in very good condition?

I ended up getting a use ds1 off eBay for 10$.

It's not an amazing game by any means, but it's pretty fun and, if you know Nipponese, worth a play just for how utterly unconventional everything is.

If everyone keeps bugging Krikzz for it, we may get support for more mappers and such. The GBA Everdrive is his current project, and it's nearly ready for mass production.

Alas, my electronic engineering degree can't help, as I know fuck all about coding anymore.

Any faggot got a d/l for Super Mario World MSU1+? All the links seem to be dead.

Nevermind, it's all on emu.
mega.nz/#F!JEEAXAzT!VWs8QYAtbb2kb--IZi5RlA
Link for any other fags running an SD2SNES.

Really would like an MMC5 mapper for NES, mainly to play Simons Quest w/ map and Rockman 4MI on hardware.

It isn't though, you're just supporting some hipster faggot that decided to copy the jewry of gamestop.
I like collecting too, but if you're trying to make yourself look like a saint for it you picked the wrong hill to die on.

Your opinion is right so I will bump your thread. All these goddamn children don't realize how bad the current consoles are.

Where I live, PE1 goes for about $12 or so complete last I checked. PE2 was about $30.

Can someone link the pc98 rom collection ?

I usually go around this retro chain, their prices are generally shit but I can find some cool stuff occasionally in their loose disc sections which are all $1 a piece normally. They're supposed to mark up more sought-after games but mistakes are sometimes made and I take advantage. Pawn shops used to be good too until they started asking Ebay prices. Thrift stores are good but generally a fucking crapshoot, I only find anything gaming-related about 20% of the time, and it's usually nothing to write home about. I don't go to garage sales often, never had much luck with those in my area.

There is no hope for SNES or Gamecube anymore. Really glad I still own most of my old Gamecube games but my SNES games went MIA after my parents divorced. Completely infeasible to collect for, hacked Wii and expensive-ass SD2SNES are the only options.

Gamecube I can still get lucky every so often with, but SNES is just too well known among scalpers.

I just wish I could find one of those SNES-to-Wii adaptors for using one of those controllers with mine. Unfortunately they're discontinued.

For a first timer picking up an NES, is it worth getting either an RGB NES, or an RGB Famicom? Is there any benefit outside audio for some games?

Is the disk system worth getting or just ignore?

I've got one for each of my handhelds and I'd say they were worth every penny. Some of them can be a pain to get roms onto, but I don't think flashcarts for consoles are like that.

I should've explained myself in a different way. I meant after developers stopped using billboarded sprites.

The last one i tried fried my AGS-101 gameboy, so i try to stay away from them

Which one was it?

A supercard, you know, one of those things that use fucking Compact Flash cards.

the fuck is wrong with these idiots?

The PS2 still had support until recently. The PS3 could play PS2 games.
The gamecube still has support today, it is not retro either.
The dreamcast no longer has any sort of support, and it is only playable on the original hardware or ports.

Nullcast and chankast is miles ahead of PS2 despite the last major update being in 2005

faggot

(checked)
Isn't the official cutoff year 2000?

Kept shitposting out of retro threads, atleast compared to normal Holla Forums.

The golden age of retrogaming was the early-mid 2000s. Emulators were reaching maturity, standardized high quality ROM sets became available, and every day you could stumble across a new hidden gem. But as time went on, understanding of each platforms' library became more and more widespread, there were less things to be surprised by, and people started to get burnt out.

I think most people that really gave a shit about retrogaming during this period, who read the forums and followed the blogs and spent countless hours searching for hidden gems amongst ROM sets full of kusoge, eventually got tired of it. You reach a point where you've played most of the games worth playing. The magic disappears, all of the truly unique games are known, and all that are left are endless generic platformers, shmups, and RPGs. So you give up on the hobby for a bit and find something else to do for a little while, and before you know it, a decade has passed.

So other than a few decent stallwarts, who has filled the void?

There is the kid who is just discovering these games. It's great that he's having fun with old stuff and keeping the dream alive, but I don't want to talk to him.
There is the collector, for whom finding and buying rare and expensive stuff is the game, not the games themselves.
There is the person that made retrogaming part of their identity or a fashion statement or something. It's not about games, it's about showing everyone how cool you are with your tumblr full of obscure PC-98 pixel art and "ironic" widetext.
There is the elitist who never moved on and became an increasingly bitter asshole about his hobby because there is literally nothing else of import about him.
There is the normalfag that just wants to play Mario and Pokemon.
There is the social justice cancer who needed a hobby so that she could write about her intersectional feminist interpretation of Doki Doki Panic.
And even worse is the guy that seemed really smart and interesting in the past, that turned into an insufferable SJW while you weren't looking.

In other words, the "scene" is dead. "Retrogaming" is now cancer. Like so many other hobbies, the only sane option is to disconnect from the community and enjoy yourself on your own terms. And of course, we'll always be here for you.

8/vr/ cutoff is 2003. Half/vr/ cutoff was New Year's Eve 1999 if memory serves, and even in regards to the Dreamcast they could get pretty divided, whether it should be an exception or not allowed.

With the PS2, I wouldn't exactly consider yearly sports games still coming out clear up through 2013 as the system exactly being current up through then, but yeah, it still saw some actual non shovelware/sports/licensed games up through 2010 at least (stuff like Syphon Filter: Logan's Shadow being release and Sakura Wars V being localized).

The PS3 could still play PS1 games as well (all models of it as well, to my knowledge, while with PS2 backwards compatibility it was just 20 and 60 GB that had full compatibility). Just saying.

Yeah, no. Fuck right off.

Can you really say you're an expert when judging by your post you most likely just popped a game in for 5 minutes before moving onto the next one?

I spent years doing nothing but playing old games because I was poor and my toaster couldn't handle anything else. I fucking lived for them.

You missed my point. I'm not saying "you're cancer if you like retro games." Good on you for not losing your spark. I'm saying most of the people worth talking to from back then got burnt out and were replaced by a bunch of cancerous faggots. You know, the fucking topic of the thread.

That sucks, man. The original Classic Controller's a decent substitute though.

Getting awfully melodramatic there faggot.

I've considering looking into one before. How well does the d-pad on it work for emulated games? Also, is that controller even that comfy? Never used one myself; just have my old Gamecube controller (with its extremely stiff d-pad) and a wiimote.

What manga is that from?

I have a pro. It's pretty good but when I actually held a classic controller it was fucking great.

I've got both, the Pro is way better. Much more ergonomic, shoulder buttons are all digital and easier to hit simultaneously, and the analog sticks aren't squished so close together so that you can actually use both at once.

Ps2 is as retro now as the NES was when the PS2 came out.

If the 70s was retro in the 90s, the PS2 is retro now.

Pro is debatably better but it feels more modern and less like a SNES controller. The buttons and D-Pad are all fine. D-pad mght be just a tad stiff but overall works well.

completely arbritary standards, but I'd place the limit on retro not on generations but on a specific console- Dreamcast. Dreamcast dies, it's the end of an era, everything before that is retro, even if on the PS2, everything after isn't, even if on the PS2.

Every person's gonna have their own take on this shit though. I'd also easily go with "PS2 is retro because it released before DC but the GC and Xbox aren't", but that's just as arbritary.

I like to consider retro games the ones that came out when gameplay mechanics were quite different from our current modern games. PS2 games are pretty much the same as PS3 and PS4 games mechanics wise, only the graphics are worse. That's not the case with the PS1 for example. The PS1 games have archaic mechanics that don't work well compared to what we have now.

Another good definition IMO would be games that were severly limited by the hardware, graphics excluded. From the 6th gen onwards everything became possible on consoles and the only limitation was graphics which is pretty much the only thing that got better since the PS2.

Also, just for comparison, a car from the 70s was considered retro/classic in the 90s. That's 20 years difference. Using the same logic then a car from the 90s should be considered retro/classic now and I don't think many people out there would agree with that.

My ps2 is displaying double on my HDTV. The top half of the ps2 screen is repeated twice. Once on the upper half and once on the bottom half of the screen. Does anyone know how to fix this?

I just tested my ps1 on the same TV with the same cables and it works fine. Is my ps2 RIP?

What's its "RGB" setting?

uhh..tbh I don't know much on the subject but I know for a fact emulation looks a fuckton better than the native game. I played super mario at a buddies house on the SNES and they came over and played it on my emulated PC with like max anti-aliasing and anistropic filtering /w shaders and everything on max and there is a noticeable enough difference that the first thing out of his mouth was why does your game look better than mine?

not only that but I won't waste my time on games w/o fastforward .. some of those games are slow and repetitive as fuck

go back to whatever hole you crawled out of.

I don't know I can't see the lower half of the screen to tell what it is. I've gone through the settings blind and think I've hit most of them but I haven't noticed any difference. Could getting component cables for my ps2 help? I'm using composite.