This shit still bugs me to this day. What kind of fucked up phrasing is this. God damn English language

This shit still bugs me to this day. What kind of fucked up phrasing is this. God damn English language.

For those scratching your heads–I'm talking about "raucous caucus".

I'll have to remember to check that when I get back to playing TLA in Nipponese.

tbh I get the message

the problem is my autistic brain feels fucked reading those two words together

it literally sounds like "rockus cockus"

Golden Sun 3 > 2 > 1

You are pronouncing those words wrong then.

Might be remembering the time/place wrong, but isn't that when the Lemurian Council or whoever is having a meeting over whether or not to get involved in the rest of the world's affairs? Might make sense for it to be rather loud, enough that Felix can hear it outside the door. Still, perhaps not the right usage of "caucus" though.

Maybe they felt "loud" or "noisy" didn't cut it? Could have also just been them wanting to make a pun too, I suppose.

Literally Googled these words. That's what they pronounced them as.

I know what it means, but I wonder why they did it.

NoA did a lot of stupid shit in the translation of these games.

Look it's not so much the meaning, but the way that phrase is. It makes my head cringe or some shit.

rau·cous
ˈrôkəs/
adjective
adjective: raucous

making or constituting a disturbingly harsh and loud noise.

cau·cus
ˈkôkəs/
noun
noun: caucus; plural noun: caucuses

a meeting of the members of a legislative body who are members of a particular political party, to select candidates or decide policy.
a group of people with shared concerns within a political party or larger organization.

It checks out, OP. Why not actually post the Japanese dialogue so that we compare the two?

You keep posting those images and yet you still miss the point that they're useless without a fucking translation of the left hand side.

Translation or gtfo

user, I can't read japanese whats the difference between these two images…

The line in the top left of the first image is entirely different. She's apologizing to her dead father.

Bottom left has no snark. The addition of snark is completely out of character.

There are no mentions of chips, eating or being a burden in the second image

Where's the translation, faggot?

Just make a translation already.

Just like, make transl.

are you guys autistic or children or both?

Raucus caucus does sound like a fun bit of rhyming but I wouldn't use it outside of a humour scene or anecdote. It does feel out of place here.

Just learn japanese already.

No, fuck off.

I loved the golden sun series. People say that it's just a standard JRPG, but honestly, I always felt all the field uses of psynergies, and the tons of puzzles you could solve with them were truly unique.

It had one of the most interesting worlds I've seen in a video game. It all feels so genuine and mystical, it's always so interesting to explore it all.

I fucking love non loincloth tribal themed games, which is one reason I think the Golden Sun series is one of the greats.

Yes. Get fucking to to it.

No, fuck off.

As mentioned before in other threads, those images would have a lot more meaning with a direct translation of the original Japanese. Including just the moonrunes with the localized text says jackshit about what it's actually saying.

Would go a long ways if you could provide an actual translation of what is said (IE: Write what the actual sentences should be) rather than summarizing.

How much you want to bet that he's just pulling all of this out his ass. I'm sure as fuck not going to take his bait and find out.

You’re a retard who doesn’t understand how words work.

You're serious, right? I made this whole thread to showcase how oddball of me it is to feel the queer twinge in my brain after seeing that phrase.

Yes, you’re a retard who doesn’t understand how words work.

A'ight. I appreciate the feedback. I'll move on now.

sage

Thank you.

Please sage me more.

BUMP NEGATED

Here's the thing though, how do we know she's being snarky? When I first read that line, I thought she was being serious about thinking there was a pharmacy in the cave. Kind of how in the Japanese version she's being serious about there being medicine in the cave. I can see how it could be snark if you read the line in a sarcastic way, but it's up to interpretation at that point.

It should of been worded better to make it more clear though.

I wouldn't call it snark, but it's definitely out of nowhere. The third one is more like

Here's the text so you can stick it on Google Translate and find out for yourself:

なくなった父にもうしわけありません
(I assume there was some previous text with a possessive, since the text here says Sorry to late father. With the possessive it should be I'm sorry to my late father.)
My translation: To my late father, I'm sorry/I apologize.

このどうくつのおく にくすりが あるのですか? (copy with the space shown between く and にfor proper Google translation)
Translation: Is there medicine in the back/interior of this cave?
I assume the plot point here is about looking for a particular plant or whatever in the aforementioned cave (haven't played the game).

The third one fucks up on automatic translation, but the guy is basically asking for you (the player) to let him join.
He does say that he definitely 'won't allow that' and that he'd like you to let him accompany you.

NoA also added "Witty, aren't we?" to the guy's response. It's definitely snark.

It would have been helpful to know with that was context since that line can be interpreted in a few ways without it.
So what does this guy say in Japanese then?

Christ, I fucked that up.
*know that was the context

That's not a shit translation if it gets everything right.

Who keeps posting these fucking god damn pictures without translating the japanese? What the fucks the point?

sage

That's a bit better. I do have to wonder though, how would the Japanese line read if Mary/Mia was being rude there too? Just wondering, since I assume that the way it's handled is different than it might be in English.

The guy was going into the storeroom in the bottom of the cave for some medicine and either injured himself or got too weak to continue on. The outline is him having used a Psynergy item to cloak himself so monsters don't get him. Mia asks him if there's medicine down there, and I guess the localization added an air of disbelief/sarcasm to her in regards to someone having medicine stored in some dark, monster infested cave.

I like you and your opinion user. These games have a special place in my heart due to how well put together it all seemed, it was just comfy as fuck in the quaint sense of all those fucking villages, and as you said Tribalism played a big part but it wasn't straight up OOGA BOOGA version.

"You'll probably never find it if I don't tell you (where it is). How about it, will you go for me?"