Nostalgia

The game might of course be shit to some here but I really enjoy looking back on the whole Halo 3 "wave". With people being obsessed with gettin recon armor or the whole machinima thing, i think it was a really fun era but sadly don't expect something like that to exist again.

What gaming "era" did you enjoy most Holla Forums?

I was about to call you a newfag until I released 2007 was 9 years ago.

The Realm/Meridian59/UO/EQ

90's MMOs

2005 was 11 years ago

Time flies huh

this needs to be updated

6 gorillion years in ms paint

Thread confirmed cancer.

Probably the original Xbox Live, I just got really into it, communities were a lot smaller and generally just calmer types. Doesn't matter the game either, your absolute worst case was small kids but they were rare instead of common.

Once it shifted to 360 everything went to hell. That and the games has generally sucked while being DOA online but at least the DoA franchise has a bunch of good games including extreme 2 as well. Most fun was Mechassault 2:awoo hands down, variety of play styles with a lot of satisfying skill curves. Always relaxed and skilled players.

I hate every online game I play these days, its frustrating.

Does nostalgia mean it had to happen in your childhood?

what a world we live in

6th gen

Halo 3 came out 9 years ago.

Your point is what, underagefag?

Someone who played halo 3 when they were 9 can post here now.

Halo 3 came out when I was 17. I'll save you the math and tell you that I'm turning 26 now.

Same age nigger. But something at 17 was hardly nostalgia.

I'd wager that's when shit starting going down the toilet.

The amount of time isn't a decider as to whether or not you can feel nostalgia over something, all that's needed is that it's in the past.

Regardless, a lot of experiences can happen in 9 years to give you feelings of nostalgia.

5th gen was the best.

At least the games were still playable nigger

A title on that cover is an example of it being the worst

A better question would be which one did you hate the least.

I had hoped we would never see the day this kind of cancerous rampant new faggotry would be considered acceptable.

It's just a testament to how far Holla Forums as a whole has decayed.

VIII is a good boy, he dindu nuffin.
Seriously, though, it's an extremely comfy but tedious game with lots of issues. It still had that sense of discovery that a lot of other games at the time had, and very few games today can replicate.

Favorite Era? Beginning of PS2 console life-cycle and about maybe 1/3rd of the 360, maybe a little more than 1/3rd.

Reason being that gaming was on a rise in popularity and sometime during the PS2 cycle the Xbox was introduced and surprisingly gave us something that was never really experienced, a 4th competitor. Until then it was always two consoles and PC.
As things rose in popularity there was a whole lot more fanfare and such and at the beginning of the 360 things were still pretty cool.
DLC wasn't cancerous because it was still considered just some additional stuff. It wasn't really planned and was usually out there to help extend the life of a game by a bit.

I would say things started going to shit around the mid-life of the 360.
Cosplay and "OMG SO NERDY" XD - started to rise up. It started to become a viable career to leech off the "culture" of video games. Hipsters all started to pour in and "games are art!" push really ramped up (probably having to do with hipsters as well).

Despite being Manhwa, it was still really good.

I legit enjoyed 5th gen

Late 90's and early 00's were the best eras.

The dreamcast was dead long before microsoft even thought about making a console. They backed Sega's console so hard it has the "Windows CE" logo stamped on the front of the system. If they were actually competing, sega wouldn't have released a shitload of exclusive sequels to the console.

3rd gen:

4th gen:

5th gen:

You're probably forgetting about the existence of the Atari, PC-Engine, Neo Geo, and Saturn. You're most likely forgetting about them because you haven't played any titles on these systems. Do all of us a favor and play games on these systems before posting here which you shouldn't be doing anyways because you're under 18

This. Bloodborne nostalgia general.

I'm forgetting about them because they hardly ever fucking mattered (at least in the U.S.).

The dreamcast being dead was part of the 4th competitor thing.
At the time it was Sony, Nintendo, and of course just generally PC. Then Xbox came in.

See, that's kind of the thing. you're going to have your major competitors but then you're going to have your little bits here and there. I know Sega and Atari used to be big shit, but by the Atari 7800 it was already too late for them and by the Saturn it was clear Sega was fucked. The Dream Cast was a last gasp of something that could have been fucking brilliant and I honestly think that if it had DVD playback support the Xbox probably never would have got off the ground in Sega's absence.
Shit, the PS2 wouldn't have had such a big rise either.

well what are you going to do about it, just sit here and watch as this place turns into halfchan?

At least we get Halo 1 PC's CMT/SPV3 soon.

I think that sage goes in nearly all fields user was implying that Halo 3 is in no way great enough to justify nostalgia ? Rather than implying that it's too early.

Halo 3 was a game built to be enjoyed in nostalgia, I find. It knows that it's the end, but it doesn't pace or structure itself in the way that final parts of a trilogy generally do.

I enjoyed the Gamecube era most. I was young enough to appreciate the high quality singleplayer content, and my only downside then was not having a good enough internet to properly enjoy online play for most games.

I personally enjoy Reach's muliplayer.

Halo 3 was definitely the best Halo.

I actually want to play Halo 1 on PC, but I'm too much a faggot because of muh viruses and orders for copies online are just as gay.

Halo original trilogy era was the most fun for me too, because Bungie was such a cool studio. Devs lurked the forums regularly not as specially badged moderators, just as people. They made special clue-based games for the forum goers to leak game info months before release, produced lots of extra canon and content in the forms of internally circulated reference paintings, models, music, and interviews to help spread information and industry best-practices. Just pouring out their personal passion into the community as much as possible.

Example, I was just watching "The Making of Halo 2" the other day for shits and giggles and seeing Bungie employees flying out to weekend-long comfy in-house LAN-fests that were put on by fans on the forums just to hang out. What other studio would have ever done anything like that?

Really fuckin' miss those days. Almost all of that came to a grinding halt and deadly crash with the release of Destiny. It is so fucking sad.

RIP Bungie.

Dude, just download Halo CE from one of the dedicated sites out there that hosts mod content for it.

Highly recommend Project Lumoria - a multi-level mini-campaign that was very very well done.

I second that all the halos were really fun games. It all went to shit when bungie left though. It's such a shame to see a truly fun franchise die. Custom games was the best imo

I remember a time when Holla Forums hated Halo.

Funny how time changes things.

But I will say this, I never found a problem with any of the Halo games except 4. I haven't played since then. Just something was way the fuck off..I couldn't get into it.

Same thing with Gears of War.
I loved Gears of War 1, 2, and 3. Judgement came out and I knew it was dead.
Shit, I actually still miss gears of war multiplayer…

I think the reason why most of Holla Forums loves old games is because you'd think the creators would learn from what they did right and wrong in their previous games.

Nigga, just a couple weeks ago people were roasting the fuck out of the Halo games.

The nostalgia for the game doesn't come from people thinking it's a great game, it comes from the time it was around.

For example, I associate it with playing custom games with my friends for hours, and what was generally a good time in my life. In hindsight, the game is something of a half-finished mess, but I still associate it with that time in my life. Halo 3 just happened to be the most prominent thing that sticks out the most.

This is hardly the worst newfaggotry I've seen today, I saw people feeling genuine nostalgia to the actual game part of COD: MW

This is true newfaggotry

Halo 4 was "off" because it was made by thoughtless devs that Microshaft brought together

I'd wager not. Those two games listed are objectively shit and have shit qualities. They have no multiplayer, when Halo 2 basically invented MP on console and Halo 3 perfected it, they have shit music, boring and written-in excuses for characters, and the scale of their lore is smaller, yet somehow less intimate because they do a much worse job at immersing you as the main character.

Dubs?

Halo 3 was memorable, not really a good game tho.

O'Donnel and Salvatori are much under appreciated, and the visual artists & sound architects of the game did pretty good, but gameplay isn't fun without friends.

Halo 3 is a precursor to walking sims because EZ + slow movement + tank + cutscenes and story w/ logbook

But it was pretty

Marathon is always better

was killzone ever memorable like gaylo?

go ahead nigger

Last time I remember being able to play a game that was objectively shit and enjoy it.

i dont want to live in this planet anymore

I gotta agree, as much as I love Halo and miss the days of Custom Edition's peak this is a bit cringey when I realize there are people out there who will nostalgia over a game that's not even that old

I remember when people on Holla Forums would be saying how Call of Duty and Halo would be remembered for nostalgia's sake.
They weren't wrong.

I want Halo 3 babies to leave

SP:
2>ODST>Reach>3>5>1>4

MP:
2>5>1>3>Reach>4

Customs:
Reach>5>3=4>2>1

Sure boi.

At least say the first halo, I don't want to be this disgusted.

Fucking loved CE just because eventually the map making community found ways to port shit from H2 and eventually H3 into HCE, on top of the custom content