Cartoons from other countries that would have played during your childhood

I didn't realize Bananas in Pajamas was Australian (and not British) until many years after. While checking this out, I noticed several other cartoons that I probably would have liked if I had seen them. Which shows seem like this to you?

I'm a burger and I thought I saw this on a channel once. Or maybe it was just on a VHS.

I'm pretty sure I saw an ad for toys based on this as a kid.

Shit it's been years since I've seen this. Never knew it was Australian.

:D

they used to have infomercials to order it for 19.99

I used to live near the guy who played B2. Young me could not work out how the man turned into a banana.

Bitch, Bananas in Pyjamas is so Australian we have it on our MONEY.

Bratwurst-Sprache!

I'd say…most of them. I can only count about 4 or so good Malaysian cartoons. One of them is actually something I find interesting in concept, it's Batman..but instead of a billionaire playboy, the guy who is Batman is an inmate in an insane asylum and the criminals he faces are actually the sane ones.

They still have the jew rat?

That's great! Can you show it to us?

How many of you watched Xilam cartoons.

I remember the live-action version

Cartoon Network once ran Canadian cartoon shorts late at night as Oh Canada! in its early days. I only remember them because the Turner Classic Movies channel aired them again a few months ago.

Can you understand the Malay language, user? Animation's pretty rough…Animation wasn't that big in Malaysia at the time.

I had completely forgotten this show. I remember watching it quite a bit.

I remember Space Goofs, Oggy and the Cockroaches…and I think there was this one cartoon about cats running a fancy restaurant?

Did any other country get Bananaman? I used to have one episode on a mixed cartoon video (and would very occasionally catch it on TV)
He originally started off in a comic called Nutty, before tranferring to The Dandy for many years, then jumped to The Beano, where he still appears.
When Man of Steel was being hyped up, the publishers registered a site called Man of Peel as a joke, implying some big budget film was in the works.

We got it here in Australia, I think it mostly got airplay because The Goodies did the voice acting, and The Goodies are only a big deal in Australia and Germany. I don't think their show was even repeated in Britain, and it took decades for the episodes to even be released on DVD because one guy at the BBC hated them, like how Dr. Who got cancelled because one guy at the BBC hated it.

Australia got Bananaman and SuperTed. Kind of fits into my timeline above that we got British cartoons during the early nineties and earlier.

Plebs, the lot of you.

secret world of santa claus (french) played every december

Ratz?

Not this one..

This and Playschool were two of my most hated shows during my childhood. The problem is, ABC used to run them first up on TV when I came home from school during the "children's cartoons" hours, so I had to suffer through them before the good stuff would come up.

Being Ausfag, technically every fucking cartoon was foreign, except for Bananas in Pajamas, Dot And The Kangaroo, Blinky Bill, and fucking Crocadoo. Crocadoo was shit, and it's not likely to be repeated or rereleased because the lead VA got busted for screwing the kids playing his children in his sitcom.

Out of the stuff that wasn't American, Mysterious Cities Of Gold stood out. It was part of the ABC's children's programming afternoon block, The Afternoon Show, presented by James Valentine, the coolest motherfucker to ever host a kid's cartoon block. He played saxaphone, wore some big-ass shoulder pads, and never once condescended to the kids or treated them like idiots. He was like everybody's cool big brother. He had children's entertainer and arguably musician Peter Combe on and cut him off half way through a song to put a cartoon on, I sensed a little hostility there, lol.

Being a Malaysian..that's just meant I got a lot of cartoons with mixed success. I mean, I remember one channel used to air something called Phantomette? And I do recall being stung by Three Friends and Jerry. The ads made it look like it's this horror mystery thing and it doesn't help that it was then followed up by Angela Anaconda…bleh, at least Freaky Stories and Starship Troopers afterwards was a breath of fresh air.

that sounds amazing

That show is on sbs now

How's the reboot?

Oof, my childhood right there.

Holy fuck I can't believe I missed your post before posting
I totally remember watching this as well.

When I was a kid I never realized or cared that Bananas in Pajamas was from somewhere else.
For the longest time I thought it was jsut some shitty recurring fever dream I'd get when I was sick, but apparently it aired in my hometown for a few years.
Most other burgers I've asked about it look at me like I'm schizophrenic when I bring it up.

Americans get triggered by BIP.
They're all like, "Why are the bananas chasing that teddy bear? OH MY GOD THEY'RE GOING TO DO A TRAIN ON THAT BEAR!"

On a side note Perth Mint makes some fucking amazing coins.
polite sage for off topic

Ulysseus 31 was French/Japanese.
Bloody earworm of a theme tune.
ULYSEEeeEEeeeEEEEUS no else can do the THINGS YOU DOOOO
I am Nono small robot you know FRIEND OF ULYSEEUS FRIEND OF ULYSEEUS

Man, that looks fun.
And that's a big eye.

in early nickelodeon days, they would show bananaman, count duckula, dangermouse. good stuff

What?

There's a concerning issue with one of your typing buttons my fellow Anonymous, it is of urgent matter that you seek to fix it.

I remember watching Count Duckula and Danger Mouse, but not Bananas in Pajamas.

i miss that kind of variety.

user, your shiftkey is busted.

man i love that kind of future aesthetic, wish there was more of it tbh

They need talented people to do that type of stuff. With the shortage of decent animators due to schools like Calarts fucking shit up and the current environment of producing a western show, it'll be a long ass while before anyone has the balls or funding to actually go through with it, but then again they would require people actually educated in the field and not grammatically deficient Anons like you.

good taste

You missed a period there.

user, it isn't healthy talking to yourself.

get on my level

OH FUCK NEVER MIND, THIS IS THE SHIT RIGHT HERE
I COULD NOT FIND THIS FOR YEARS AND ALWAYS THOUGHT IT WAS PAPA BEAVERS STORY TIME

What happened to this show?

user, your shiftkey is broken.