Understanding game mechanics #2 & DEMOs

Time for round 2. I was also OP of the DEMOSCENE THREADs and since both were usually gone before hitting 100 posts, why not combine them ?

As usual I'll drop some texts and some godly shit for c64 (cuz that gets me off)

Please contribute if you have anything, usually 90% of posts are mine, this is not my blog

The first demo is World of Code III made in 1994. Y the mighty byterapers Inc. full of real-time goodness, dig that !

(The site went offline while making this thread, so If it's a duplicate, please remove the previous one)

Other urls found in this thread:

fabiensanglard.net/second_reality/index.php
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Forgive me Holla Forums for I have lied. This is not for c64, but its relative, Amiga

Zoom and rotate at the same time
Only Amiga make it possible!

Most hacks in multi player games (especially MMOs) exist, because the coders had to much faith in the players, doing some stuff client side (which can be changed) instead of server side. Do you remember Age of Conan ? They made hilariously bad decision regarding their packets. To better understand what I'm trying to say consider this example.

Every time you do something, swing a sword, walk, pickup and item etc. Your client sends a packet with info to the server with your action and the server sends similar packet to everyone in your area, so they see what you did.

What Conan does however… it includes the player's ID in the packet. And you know what's best ? You can change the I'd in packet to pretend you're someone else. They also have packets such as fall damage. The admin in that game were very often killed with fake 9999dmg fall damage packets.

Thanks to Impact Studios your old 286 can finally do something cool too! This demo will work at full speed even with 12mhz CPU if you have fast VGA !!

Do you have any idea how to stop wallhacks ? I was thinking about this for past few weeks, it's not that simple as you might think (or maybe I'm just stupid) let's take counter strike as a example

All players and their position is client's memory at all times. As long as it's there, there always will be a wallhacks. Anti cheaters like hackshield or punkbuster will never stop it, it just makes harder to find.

So is there any other way ? One idea that I had was doing the same thing client does. That is calculate for each player what can they see and send the information only when they can actually see it. The problem is that it would be slow (but would it be fast enough for today's dedicated machines ? Especially old games) and the lag… people would just pop up, cuz you got the packets late. Maybe some region ? Only send the packets if both players are close enough ? Wouldn't stop wallhacks completely, but at least you wouldn't see through whole map.

16kb intro for amstrad cpc

Deus ex machina by the evil c64 forces crest and oxyron

Here's one bug that I couldn't find proper fix for, I had to redo this part of code and it started working right. Check this out

In metin2 you can have a party up to 8 people. Metin2 also has dungeons. What is interesting about dungeons, is that they are essentially just a copy of a map. Let's say you have "devil tower" map and its id is 55. When your party wants to go to this dungeon server makes the copy of this map (ID = 55000 - 55999) and teleports you inside. When you loout and loflog back in, you will get kicked out of dungeon (you will appear in standard position in town) and the map will be destroyed (if it's empty). Here's the interesting part….

You make party of two people and go to some dungeon, then you log out and log in both characters - you should be in a city. Now go to dungeon again and logout - login. Now you're in city again. Invite 3rd character to your party, when it accepts the request… BOOOM server crashes.

It's some problem with unordered map of parties that go to a dungeon… I never could fix it and just rewrote this part (was such a pain to find all functions that use that map and hook them) but it works. Any ideas ??

Here is a 4k demo

I saw that on the stream. Very impressive visuals and audio for just 4kb, but as most pc demos… this is just some fly-by camera which I can't stand. But you know… I watch low res rotating cubes all day, so who am I to judge.

Btw this is probably my all time favourite pc demo (and the.popular.demo is cool as fuck too)

I do miss gpu demos with style.
What happened to them?

Do they do any tech demos at all ? I only saw some for engines (unreal engine had some cool demo I remember, looked like terminator begining a bit)

Isn't it awesome that even in 2015 you can get a demo with at least 4 nevee seen before effects ?

GPU companies now usually show benchmarks, vr or unreal 4 demos.

I remember when normal maps were the next big rendering feature

Very nice tune in this one. I'm hardcore metal fag, but I'm weak for the demo soundtracks !

The Spaceballs demos have some of the best music imo.

They still have nice visuals also

Sure. I have to say though, the SID of C64 beats it all. While I like the funky sampled music of Amiga I just can't resist the fat sawtooth soundwave of C64 !! Also, this demo is really cool, nothing to say, just watch it !

The SID chip is the best custom designs I seen on a sound chip.

Now Dual SIDs is too cool

Perfect tune for dual sid :
the demo uses 512kb reu, that's why it has those fucking awesome effects.

I forgot, it's also one file demo (50kb max) !!

The Batman Forever Demo is great one for the underused Amstrad CPC.

Great machine, but a lot of bad ZX spectrum ports

And here's their Amiga demo from 1995. The tittle is also Barman Forever, but in spanish. Before that they also made "Killing Joke" demo, but it's nothing spectacular.

You won't believe what you see or hear

Last demo before bedtime, gotta go to work tomorrow early. I hope this thread will still be up tomorrow.

Op here, on a break in work at phone. No new posts ? 😭

CNCD + Fairlight have been crushing the scene the last few years (since Kewlers / MFX have slowed down).

zero polys / zero shaders

Op is back once again on different IP… now I'm home, so I'm gonna stay on this one, unless I'm gonna lose WiFi like yesterday (it happens more often than I'd like to admit) and here's very special (at least for me) c64 demo from the Hungarian maniacs of RESOUCE. Lots high res real time effects, good graphics and super soundtrack. Check this shit out

This Matrox demo back in 2003 was pretty cool despite the card kinda being not very good.

Their EMBM demo back in 2000 was cool

"It's what we call Loader Part. It's I think 20% of the time is used to load the next part to memory. […] We need to do something, oh, let's make a plasma, as I say, they're pretty easy, but Oswald tried hard to make high resolution one and he succeeded at that. We made very good move with moving the girl into the middle, because, You have full screen impression, right ? Althought just roughly one-third of the screen is calculated by the plasma. So what intended to be a loader part. I think most people on the net want to put up a screenshot of our demo tey will use that[…]
Sad thing is we know how fast it could actually run if you don't have the loading in the background. So that makes Us a little sad, luckily you don't know" - Ninja

A rare N64 Demo that is good.

N64 programming is bunch bs to get through tho

I been noticing lately games in the fps genre have been getting simple.

Like current modern fps are either boring open world experiences, moba lite or tf2 clones, or simple military shooters

Somthing like Unreal is holding up fine due to how the game world is design in a way that is linear but allows exploration to happen

I don't know how the dev process takes before or now, but judging from how advanced the technology is these days, and big company campaigns to push 'graphics quality': I'd say the design process has been shortened to squeeze in the other portions; voice-acting, graphics, texturing, music, marketing tactics.

It's no longer quite like a love for the games themselves, but money, and how much they can afford to lose and gain. Everything is too expensive these days, and they've dug themselves into a pit of diminishing returns when it comes to graphics.

The tools to make games have gotten easier and pc and console hardware is not obscure anymore.

Making a game look good is easier now than before

The process of making games have gotten bloated due to worst business management and rush deadlines.

The people running game companies most of the time don't play or understand games at all and only care about short term profits to please investors.

This leads to rush deadlines, bloated budgets, and less advancement.

More Demos, this time an Atari ST one.
I like the music in this one

Here the an GPU techdemo form team green.
The Geforce 256, a pretty great card with hardware T&L that actually worked and played games for years

the best for a500

Cool Amiga demo, the music was pretty great.
The texture work near the end was great and didn't really slow down the machine.

I really like the ATI Rage 128 demo. Too bad this card kinda sucked in many ways

It's the one of the first (if not the very first) track. Everything before was just separate intros that you'd skip with button press etc.

Bump for interest.

Another classic for a500

fabiensanglard.net/second_reality/index.php
Here's a pretty nice write up about the code for the Second Reality demo.
This video probably doesn't fit the theme of the thread but I've been getting interested in the 32X recently.

I saw that video before. Shame there's no rom avaiable.

EMUS SUCK, GIRL!

I always thought these 3 stretchers say OH EVE ! but while making this webm I noticed it's 64EVER (the name of the group) I feel so fucking retarded

realtime controlable tv-box on C64….

Mad props out to DEUS EX MACHINA
to Valium Design
but not to EPHIDRENA

All other crews consist only of lamers
Quit the scene, go home be gamers.

Classic GPU Demo from ATI and Amimusic

HELLO SPIKE OF BONES..NOT SO COCKY NOW, ARE YOU :P NOW THAT I BEAT THE WORLD RECORD OF LOWEST SINE-APLITUDE OF A 32 SPRITE DYSP..

Wow ! that's really neat. I think I saw something similar, maybe even this very demo, but I thought it was just an animation.

I posted this demo in previous DEMOSCENE THREAD but I just can't resist not puting it here again. Demo for PC MSDOS (386/486) from 1993. It runs at full framerate (70 fps) that DOOM would require to play (35 fps) and it's full of real 3D…

And the music, the fucking music. This is something from out of this realm. Glorious GUS at its best !!

And here the embed has the same demo + a GravisUltraSound demo / commercial done by the same group, so check it out…. IF you want the demo then watch it's better quality capture.

One of my all time favourites cracktros… I remember this from my pirated copy of GTA SA.

And here's a treat for all you SID lovers. 50 min compilation of tracks from Jeff (musician of CREST) you'll find whole DEUS EX MACHINA tunes and much more !