What game has the most convoluted story?

What game has the most convoluted story?

Other urls found in this thread:

docs.google.com/file/d/0B8cPyvE2GTjOMzE4MTVlZTctMjE5Yi00YzAzLWJjZTAtZTllODY2OTc2MTMx/edit?hl=en_US
ugsf-series.com/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

metal gear

Kingdom Hearts

I once read an abridged version of Kingdom Hearts story.
It was 43 pages long.
I googled it before posting this.
It is 42 pages long.

docs.google.com/file/d/0B8cPyvE2GTjOMzE4MTVlZTctMjE5Yi00YzAzLWJjZTAtZTllODY2OTc2MTMx/edit?hl=en_US

Ultimate Spider-Man is canon to the comics. The Ultimate universe, sure, but the Ultimate Universe has crossed over with the main Marvel Universe in the last few years, and Marvel has crossed over with DC on several occasions, not to mention things like GI Joe, Transformers, and Showa Godzilla, which were always canon to Marvel despite most people forgetting that. Unless there are other video games that are canon to the major comics universes, this gives Ultimate Spider-Man the most convoluted plot ever.

Pac Man has deepest lore

Legacy of Kain/Soul Reaver games.

After the recent revamp, the Dick Tracy newspaper comic has had several crossovers. It's now technically (unofficially?) part of the DC multiverse, along with Popeye, Little Orphan Annie, Mr. Magoo, Snuffy Smith, and Funky Winkerbean. (Which is odd, considering that Superman is a comic book character in Funky Winkerbean.)

I'm really hoping that at some point they'll crossover with St. Elsewhere (or a show that it had a crossover with) and put every single comic book universe inside Tommy Westphall's snowglobe.

Don't most major cartoons share a universe with Scooby Doo?

That's funny. I didn't even look at the OP image and I was about to post Marathon Infinity.

That timeline actually leaves out all the crazier shit: the backstory of the UESC, the Martian uprising, the construction of the Marathon, Traxus, Strauss and Durandal, the player being a Cyborg, the Jjarro, etc..

What I always thought was cool about the Marathon series was how vastly different the writing in the first and third game was compared to Durandal. The clearly took on more than they could handle in the first game, with all the loose ends. Many of these loose ends and bits of lore aren't even mentioned in Durandal, and the plot becomes crazy only in the epilogue, which is completely divorced from the events of the game. Then, in creating Infinity, it seems like the team purposefully because over-ambitious once again, going so far as to include levels that are meant to be both warp points and bizarre dream sequences.

Whats with the popularity of Marathon on this board, anyway? I see it posted quite often.

Superman is a comic book in Superman. All the DC stories that happened in the Golden Age (up until around the point of the first time Superman and Batman teamed up in an actual story) are comic books in the mainline DC Universe. The Flash named himself after his favorite comic book hero, The Flash from the original 1940s series. Then he found out that universe was actually real, and that's when comics started getting truly convoluted. You'd think people could just read some Superman comics and see Superman is Clark Kent, but they don't. I'm sure there's some explanation but idk.

The New Scooby Doo Movies crossed over with a whole bunch of shit, including The Addams Family in their first animated incarnation, which seemed to be intended as the same universe as the original live action show. Scooby also crossed over with Batman & Robin, which seemed to be the animated versions which would later be seen in Superfriends, and seem to be the same as the live action Batman show. Which of course crossed over with The Green Hornet.

The New Scooby Doo Movies also frequently crossed over with real life celebrities like Don Adams and Phyllis Diller. But I guess that makes sense when you realize it's the same universe as '60s Batman.

Superfriends was of course also part of the original DC Multiverse that was destroyed in 1985. The original Scooby Doo series was cancelled in the late ''80s and rebooted with a series of animated movies and eventually new animated series in the 2000s. The original Scoob died when the Superfriends failed to save his universe from The Anti-Monitor.

Also I bet Mario ends up legitimately having one of the most convoluted stories if you actually try to include all the games. I mean a lot of them don't have stories, but I'm not even talking about that. I'm talking about how Mario is a spinoff of Donkey Kong, and DK has spinoffs in Banjo and Conker. Plus hasn't Mario crossed over with Final Fantasy and shit? And there's the Sonic crossovers, and any autist can tell you how convoluted Sonic's story is.

Matpat please go and stay go.

mario has the deepest lore

Fallout 3, obviously. Don't you know it has over 100 endings?

Year in which each game takes place, in release order: 1995, 1998, 2005, 2007-2009, 1964, 2014, 1974, 1975, 1984.

You play as the son, no wait, the clone, no wait, the son? of Big Boss fighting another clone of Big Boss and the son of the Boss who wants to steal a really cool mech and surpass Big Boss, then you play as the simulation of the son of Big Boss being helped by the son of Big Boss to fight the son of the Boss who's pretending to be possessed by the dead clone of Big Boss while working with the former president clone of Big Boss who just wants to bring back Glass-Steagall and steal a really cool warship, then you play as Big Boss who has to fight the Boss who pretended to defect to the Soviet Union to steal back a bunch of jew money, then you play as the son of Big Boss as a old man, and then the simulation of the son of Big Boss is a cyborg, and the bad guy is the son of the Boss pretending to be possessed by the blond-haired clone of Big Boss to take down the AI network that controls soldiers and weapons and news. Then you play as Big Boss who goes to Costa Rica, Nicaragua, and then to the lovely resort at Guantanamo Bay to rescue two spics and one of them has a vagina bomb. Then you play as the medic who shielded Big Boss from the spic vagina bomb and is now serving as the phantom of Big Boss who's been hypotized and given plastic surgery and really thinks he's Big Boss, except with 108 fragments of jailbait triple agent rape victim spic girl lodged in his body. Then the cyborg simulation of the son of Big Boss fights memes.

I don't know who that is, I just like being autistic.

I also nominate Twisted Metal. The series is a bit of a mess with how some games have multiple character profiles saying their character won the last tournament, but if you look past that there is still a story there. You wouldn't guess that the story of a car combat series is about a guy dying with his family then stealing a demon's powers so he can go into a guy's dreams within dreams and manipulate him into becoming a serial killer, while also killing the aforementioned demon who the guy trapped inside the dreams within dreams after he started rebelling in his role of helping to keep people in line on the first level of dreams. Of course, even if you play the games almost all of this shit is hidden behind super secret endings and secret messages you have to decipher. And this is only counting the "main" story that runs through most of the games. I haven't even mentioned the individual character stories, many of whom do evolve over the course of the series. Secret Agents, aliens, government cover ups, multiple personalities, kamikaze robots who later become kamikaze ghosts, and a surprising amount of family drama. It might not have as much content as some other series, but the sheer convolutedness is hard to match.

If by convoluted, you mean bat shit insane and incomprehensible, then this is the game you're looking for.

That's accurate

Dragon Age
Every David Cage game

Danganronpa 2, but 1 would still be up there

I like it though

Kingdom Hearts

What's with this pic, OP?

This

the only thing that approachs it in autism levels is Naruto

As an actual, certified autist who was diagnosed since he was 4, not even I can handle their level of fanfic autistic bullshit

I actually like Fallout 3's story, at least until Liam Neeson's dead. Simple and straightforward.

Marathon's lore.

metal gear, although i'd say 90% of the "huh?" factor comes from MGS2

xenosaga comes close, what with its half-hour cutscenes about fucking nonsense

Kingdom Hearts.

bioshock infinite xd

I honestly didn't understand it and had to google it. Didn't make any fucking sense at the time.

YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO PREVENT ME FROM SPREADING THE TRUTH VILE HYLDEN SCUM

Bioshock infinite in perfectly logical and makes complete sense to people who think Big Bang theory is a great source of scientific knowledge and overall a great series

Because Holla Forums is full of hipsters and Marathon is generally less known, even among people that played lots of shooters in the 90's due to being exclusively on macintosh computers. It's also filled with really convoluted level design and a really dense narrative that requires reading. The normalfags have mostly stayed away from it.

nah, Soul Reaver is a basic time paradox plot with really good writing

danganronpa 2 reminds me a lot of MGS2, but not rushed

Oh, what was that?

2deep4u

My autism begs we look at this chart for a moment.

(1/??)

I wish it was only generic time paradox shit, it's E.Y.E. Divine Cybermancy tier of cicles of guilt.
(2/2)

but that's not true, it's very convoluted but the story actually makes perfect sense

Kingdom Hearts.
Not only is it convoluted, but the series has entries that have critical plot points on just about every handheld system.

Rin path in Katawa Shoujo.

How can you fight a meme!?!

Any badly written jrpg

If you beat all three branches of the story, a hidden area is revealed. At the end is a woman who tells you that you're in something like a dream or hallucination, and you can only wake up if you go through a portal into a tiny, peaceful area and don't break the seal that drops you back into the regular game.
I'm pretty sure the final plot twist is that you're a person playing a video game, and the cycle only ends if you stop playing it.

Kinkydom Farts

Well, that clinches it. Not only is 60's Batman already in there, but Ralph Kramden and Ed Norton showed up in Dick Tracy a while back. (There was a Honeymooners comic strip at one point.)
DC, Marvel, and everything tied to them are all in Tommy Westphall's mind.

Anybody have the posts by an user who insisted that the plot of Kingdom Hearts wasn't too bad and proceeded to explain all of the autism in several extremely long posts?

This one?

I've read that over three times now, and I think I'm finally getting it. So where does CoM and DDD fit into this?

What the fuck.
Now I almost want to play that mess.

The story is pure shit

Galaga/Dig-Dug

ugsf-series.com/

So, all of them?

Hotline Miami 2. the entire game bounces between 13 playable characters and three loosely-connected settings. It doesn't even really have a main protagonist: the fans serve as the game's false protagonists until halfway through the game when the notion that the story should focus on one specific character is thrown out the window.

Eternal Darkness had a shitton of characters with a handful of different settings across lots of time periods as well but they all had a unifying framing device. You don't have a single character in ED who merely has a tangential connection to the Tome of Eternal Darkness unlike Jake, who's completely unaware of Jacket, and Manny Pardo, the only 1991 character who never talks to Richard.

I have never played metal gear, how the fuck did you all keep up with this?

You kind of get it playing game by game (and MSG2 twice at least) and having enough time to digest it, but yeah trying to explain everything ends up really messy.

PD.

Are you sure that game even had a plot? Maybe you're reading too much into this.

It's easy enough to follow, once all the pieces are put together

Strange Journey was pretty convoluted to me. But I played it over the course of like six years and never remembered where I left off.

I know it claims to have one (pic related) but it's more accurate to call it an imbroglio.

Why did they take something like Disney mixed with Final Fantasy and make it into some of the most confusing shit ever made? The spinoff games make it even more confusing

Strange Journey is very straightforward

holy shit i haven't laughed that hard in a while

I feel as though Neocron isn't necessarily as convoluted as it is lengthy.