So was there a reason not to include most of the gen 1 and 2 pokemon in Ruby and Sapphire...

So was there a reason not to include most of the gen 1 and 2 pokemon in Ruby and Sapphire? Was it just a scheme to jew you so you had to buy the remakes of red and blue? or was it like what I thought back in the day, that a gba game couldn't hold all the data for all 386 pokemon? (doubt it)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=TPBFNHeXVTs
youtube.com/watch?v=RelY6L4rH-g
bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/List_of_glitches_in_Generation_I
bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/TM06
bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Hyper_Beam_(move)#By_leveling_up
bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/TM18
bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Substitute_(move)#By_leveling_up
youtube.com/watch?v=5tTc8__lXkM
glitterberri.com/pokemon-red-blue/early-concept-art/2/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

They're called JEWS user

There's actually leftover data in those games from where they were going to add the Johto region originally.

They probably stopped because they wanted to jew the player instead

I mean that's been Game Freak's schtick since the beginning - split off the Pokemon between 2 different games so you're forced to trade with your friends or buy multiple copies to collect them all. This time they just split the Pokemon between 4 different games.

Here's proof

youtube.com/watch?v=TPBFNHeXVTs

I would've been fine if they had given me the opportunity to transfer my GBC pokemon to the new games.

GBC and GBA used the exact same link cable, it was just pure bullshit.

Ruby and Sapphire is when pokemon started to become shit.

I think most of us can agree that Ruby and Sapphire are by far the worst pokemon games

user they put unused test tracks in nearly every game. Gen 4/5 had some Gen 3 samples.

Also to answer OPs question: FireRed/LeafGreen

Not after X and Y were released

Yeah, that's all I could find.

The reason I originally remembered was because I used to try and mod the GBA pokemon games when I was 12 to make my own romhacks. There are actually unused maps from the Johto region in the game if I recall right.

Maybe you should first be asking yourself why there's two versions of the same game with version-exclusive mons.

D/P and X/Y were a lot worse IMO.
Emerald and Platinum are god-tier though.

yeah their gimmick is 2 or 3 different versions a generation, but this they introduced shitty remakes and not being able to trade from the old games

My god you're stupid

Pokemon data in Gen 2 and 3 are wholly incompatible with each other and transfer speeds of the GB/C and GBA hardware are different, and the GBA allowed simultaneous data transfer, which the GB/C did not support.

It'd be like trying to convert a FLAC to midi and back.

Because Miyamoto saw the prototype Pocket Monsters game and suggested multiple versions with slight differences so that children in the same household wouldn't own the same game 2 or 3 times over. And with trading you don't even need to own multiple versions.

good points

There is no such thing as a bad Pokémon game

Not every decision a company makes is based on the desire to jew you. It's likely that they didn't include every other pokemon due to time/budget constraints or something along those lines. Plus it would make sense for most of the other pokemon to be missing considering the region is geographically separate from the other 2 regions, which are interconnected.
If you want to complain about them jewing you, how about the fact that they release 2 marginally different games that you have to buy for 100% completion, then they release a third game a year later with more content (but still not enough to 100% the game).

No, it was like with B&W. They wanted it to be like Kanto - to be only full of new shit.

NO! EVERYTHING EVERY COMPANY DOES IS TO FUCK THE CONSUMER! IT NEVER HAS ANYTHING TO DO WITH ANYTHING ELSE!!!!!!!!!!

Obviously they could contain the data of every pokemon. It was probably likely that they couldn't figure out how to transfer from gbc to the gba so they instead dveloped a couple of other games to fill in the missing pokemon.

What are you, a Game freak employee? Only furries and drones actually believe there's no bad pokemon games.

user you are wrong on two counts

Ruby and Sapphire had the data for all 300+ Pokemon of all gens up to 3 on the cart. What they didn't do is allow you to trigger flags and events that allowed you to obtain the Pokemon that data coded for. If a Pokemon game didn't have the data for a Charmander, for example, then a person wouldn't be able to trade a Charmander from a game where you could obtain it to the game where you normally can't. So again they did code all the Pokemon into R/S, but you couldn't obtain them all without trading.

Secondly nobody needs to buy every version to get every Pokemon. All you need to do is trade.

except fr/lg is only filled with the pokemon not in r/s

this.
how is obtaining pokemon even a problem anymore?
I've filled a shit ton of the pokedex just through wonder trades

i'm probably wrong but couldn't they have make it backwards compatible so a game boy color thinks it's seeing another game boy color when trading to the advance?

I don't think so. And that again is only half the problem.

Still, it makes sense in context to make it so you can't catch certain pokemon which aren't native to that region, and as you said you wouldn't need to buy another version, just trade it.
Plus you're ignoring the fact that some people might not know anyone with a different version of pokemon, or might not have a link cable, which is sold separately.

FR/LG was also a remake so there was less work to do. The only work they really had to do was to update pre-existing sprites and music.

No user, you're the retard.

This is a company that will release two copies of the exact same game then another clone later on, of course they did it on purpose the only thing gamefreak cares about its making as much money as humanly possible.

I don't know why people let gamefreak get away with that shit all the time, if any other dev pull that they would get torn a new asshole for it.

The games are the same year after year (excluding Colosseum, which wasn't developed by Game Freak) and they release 2 of the same game and then a third very slightly different game, it's worse than Call of Duty

It doesn't help that they're only released for a console that is weaker than the GameCube

except in emerald, you had old pokemon popping up once you beat the game. not sure about any other games because gen 3 is when i stopped giving a shit.

Oh I'm not ignoring that at all because I fell into that boat for the longest time due to living in bumfuck nowhere. Version exclusives and event Pokemon were near impossible for me to get, although I am grateful for Pokemon Colosseum and Gale of Darkness existing. It wasn't until Gen 4 and 5 that I could get serious about dex collecting, thanks to online events, trading, GTS spoofing previous Gen 3 events (totally not cheating), and I finally have a full dex in Gen 6, which is more worthwhile due to the Shiny Charm being your reward.

I never played Emerald, but that's kind of my point. The part where they really jew you is with the multiple versions.

D/P/Pt did that too, and B/W had like 1/4 of the region off-limits until after you beat the League which has all older pokemon.

You have no clue what you're talking about

yes, but i'm saying needing to buy remakes because they couldn't let you collect the old pokemon in r/s is exceptionally jewish and the "non-native" pokemon excuse isn't true.

LeafGreen and FireRed were better games. The Hoenn games are overrated and the remakes were unnecessary.

compared to red and blue? how so then?
any remake is unnecessary. including FR/LG

How is it Jewish when the way to get said Pokemon is a full fledged remake with tons of features and extra content the original game didn't have?

If you wanted jewery they would have made some sort of Gamecube utility disk that patched your R/S/E cartridge and made every non-event Pokemon available and charged as much as FR/LG for that. GBA-to-GC cable not included either.

Exactly. Someone like you can't complete the game without buying at least one more game and a link cable. I had the same thing with not being able to get the event pokemon without at least a 50 mile drive.

Okay, I'll concede, although I'm still going to use the non-native excuse to ratonalise it to myself.

Not sure if Genwunner or just bait.

Then how about you explain why LG and FR are so much better than the originals?

Does making them look prettier and fixing a few bugs really justify a remake?

In my opinion it doesn't. Even the Sevii islands weren't enough bonus content to justify remaking the games. Especially when the GBA was still retrocompatible with the GB.

Now you're just being obtuse, it is objectively a better pair of games thanks to being more mechanically fun and stable and having a larger Pokemon selection. Just being prettier and fixing bugs isn't what makes it good.

Didn't the originals have hundreds of bugs and stupid balance issues?

I'd like to think that it was just to try to make them feel like actual new games with their own whole region and completely original Pokemon instead of yet another shitty tack-on.

Gen 3 was the best gen.

The larger Pokemon selection doesn't come into play until you actually finish the game. The mechanical improvements are so marginal that honestly they don't really change the game so much to make me go trough the exact same story and world again.

I've seen hack roms that tried harder to make something new and original, knowing the money that GF has they could've just made something new entirely.

It is a personal complaint though, I understand if you like these games more than the originals. I'm just kind of against remakes entirely.

Does it really matter for a single player game?

user, pls

I didn't even notice honestly. I just typed in The problem with Gen 1" and saved the first pic I could find.

Name one, because A. Most romhacks are either lame and don't do anything new besides throwing you into some fan made region with fakemons or do some "comedic" romhack written by 13 year olds or B. Are just plain unfinished. I'd love for you to prove me wrong especially since I've been looking for a good romhack.

Yeah because I'm sure you spend most of your time doing link matches with your friends, and not playing trough the game.

Pokemon Glazed if you want something completely new.
Liquid Crystal if you want a remake done right.
Light Platinum is good too.

There's also a few RPG Maker fangames that are really great, but I'm not sure if you count that.

I'm surprised you don't remember shit like Pokemon spamming wrap forever, or constantly putting all your Pokemon to sleep.

That list doesn't even have the x accuracy bug, where you can cheese the entire game by using it and then a 1 hit KO move to hit 100%. Really ruins the entire fun of the original games.

All three of those are pretty mediocre, Liquid Crystal especially since it's unfinished and HG/SS exist.

Did you spend most of your time doing link battles or did you not?

I found them really enjoyable, they were challenging and had tons of content for being fan projects.

Also Liquid Crystal is finished, and it contains not only the Orange Islands, but a bunch of completely new and hidden areas.

Give them another try, you might really like them if you go into them with an open mind

I'd say it was roughly 50/50 because I actually had friends and family who were willing to play with me. I'm sorry that you don't know what that feels like.

There's really no need to resort to ad-hominem attacks, it doesn't really help your argument.

I don't see your argument faggot.

My argument is that not everybody had a bunch of friends to play with. Nobody I knew had the games. I played around 100 hours of Pokemon Blue, and only had occasion to play with other people during summer.

I'm just saying that not everybody spent so much time playing with other people, always implying you actually did and you're not completely bullshitting.

Pokemon wasn't a primarily multiplayer game.

user, technically it was 7 games: Ruby, Sapphire, FireRed, LeafGreen, Emerald, Colosseum, and XD: Gale of Darkness.

It wasn't primarily a single player game either. The multiplayer was a big aspect of the marketing and the reason it became so popular. When I played Street Fighter 4 I spent most of my time on the single player mode because I was too much of a pussy to play anyone else, but I wouldn't be fine with it having tons of bugs and balance issues just because of that. They would still affect me in the single player, it's just that some of them aren't so bad.

user I just looked at the Liquid Crystal thread and it says it's still in beta

That means unfinished

It was mostly a single player game, just because it was marketed to have multiplayer functions doesn't mean that it was focused on that.

I mean shit link battles and trading are such a small aspect and work so bad that it's really hard to try to make the argument that its focus was on multiplayer.

But again, personal opinions I guess. Most of the people I know played it in multiplayer very rarely, guess it was just our thing. Might've been bigger from where you're from.

That's weird. What parts are left unfinished?
Still though, it's a very enjoyable game and it's objectively a better remake that LG and FR.

No, there isn't any Johto data in those games, pull that fact out of your ass?

All the jew games came after Sapphire and Ruby.

But that's wrong.

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree.
There's really no proof for any of these arguments, it's mostly down to personal experience.

That is not proof, they were just testing out the sound due to GBA being a whole new platform and they didn't have any Ruby/Saph songs composed at the time, you tinfoil hat retard.

This 'the problem with gen 1' image is such bullshit based off misconceptions of the game by people who didn't play it as their first pokemon.

Here's a question; how many pokemon had Leech Seed, Toxic, Hyper Beam, Counter or Substitute in generation 1? How often do you think these interactions actually came up? Not only that, but the limited number of pokemon that learned Hyper Beam were hard to get.

And this is what I mean by misconceptions. Everyone who played gen 2 onward first played a game that let you breed, meaning pokemon moves and evolutions were more evenly spread out. There was no 'early' or 'late' game. But Gen 1 had an early and late game. Why else would Caterpie and Weedle be fully evolved as early as the first gym and definitely before the second? They were for the early game. And hyper beam by contrast was a late game ability, locked behind rare pokemon. Remember, back then we didn't know that magikarp would turn into Garydos, we hadn't seen the anime (and the anime only hyped up dragon rage anyway). We figured it out on our own. Yeah Alakazam was broken as shit. You had to capture an abra that would teleport away first turn every time, then level it up same as magikarp, then trade him. You bet your ass its overpowered. I worked hard to get that fucker.

The other thing people who post this image don't understand is the concept of being a fucking gamer. No shit 'warp', bind, fire spin and clamp stopped your opponent from using moves. Out of those four moves, only fire spin and clamp were somewhat worthwhile, and clamp was exclusive to Cloyster. If you dropped a faster water type, if their firespin failed one turn, you killed their fire type. You came prepared to use it and/or beat it. The other funny thing is how retarded gamers of today must be to find some of this stuff a problem. "What's that, substitute kills me when I'm on low HP? Wow! Broken move! Game is shit!" No you retard, just don't fucking use it when you're below 33%. "What's that, when I use rage I lose the ability to do any other attack? Wow! Broken move! Game is shit!" No you retard, just don't fucking use it unless you think it will win you the fight. It's not even a particularly strong move so I don't know why the fuck you were using it in the first place outside of 'the first wild pokemon after charmander learned it the first time'.

If you complained about half this shit back in the day people would laugh at you. They would say 'Yeah, so? Everyone knows that's how the game works retard.' But no, instead of realizing that generation 1 pokemon was a flawed but enjoyable RPG that had early and late game options, that rewarded you for catching tough pokemon by giving you powerful moves, and embracing the flaws of the game to overcome them and make it a better experience you just post this picture again because gen 1 is different.

Get fucking real.

Just don't respond to people that post that pic, it's so much easier.
I'm pretty sure that anyone that has played the games on release knows how much bullshit it is.

Nearly all of them, sans Leech Seed, because all of those were TMs, dumbass, and Toxic can be learned by every Pokemon.

No I have proof for my arguments. You're the one who doesn't.
Note that the list of glitches in Gen 1 is bigger than the gen 3 list, which includes FR/LG, R/S/E, and the gamecube games. Plus, I'm sure you can read up on the development and see that they went into it with the link cable specifically in mind.

youtube.com/watch?v=RelY6L4rH-g

bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/List_of_glitches_in_Generation_I

Did you actually play the game, or did you just google it?

user the picture isn't bullshit and I have played every Pokemon game. Quit being a faggot.

There's only one Toxic TM and it can't be bought
bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/TM06

5 Pokemon can learn Hyper Beam by leveling up
bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Hyper_Beam_(move)#By_leveling_up

You can buy it though.

Counter can't be bought
bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/TM18

Substitute can be learned by only one pokemon by leveling up.
bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Substitute_(move)#By_leveling_up

And even if you can buy it, unlike Hyper Beam, it's a pretty shitty move and you will most likely never use it.

Skyrim was advertised to have infinite quests. Does that mean if it does?

Swapnote was supposed to be used to send small drawings to your friends, but pedos used it to send CP.

What a company advertises is almost never what the actual game is.

Yes I played the game, and you're a dumbass who hasn't.

Are you retarded?

Maybe if you're not a competitive player.

He is because Substitute was TM50 in Gen I

Are you?
You're saying that you're 100% that everybody spent more time doing link battles than playing the single player game.

That's just bullshit and you have no proof to support this claim.

That's what I said dumbass, read my post.

Please show me where I said that.

Was I talking to you, chump? Cause unless you had a sudden ID change, I sure as hell wasn't.

That's your whole argument, you're saying that pokemon is a multiplayer game and that link battles are the vast majority of gameplay time.

If you're not saying that then why the fuck are we still discussing?

user, anyone that makes up rules for pokemon is an autist
I wasn't talking about just smogon.

My argument is that the gen 1 games had tons of bugs and competitive issues, which are exacerbated by the fact multiplayer is one of the main focuses of the game, regardless of whether you personally played against other people or not.

Again, you're saying that the focus of the game was in the multiplayer, and the only proof you have of that is that it was advertised that way.

Pokemon isn't competitive, it never was, and it will never be. Pretending it's competitive is absolutely retarded since the game has a myriad of other problems affecting its "competitiveness" apart from a few bugs.

I bet you're gonna go buy FF7 again

Go ahead and post proof that it wasn't a multiplayer game.

It was a multiplayer game. The focus was obviously singleplayer and trading though.

youtube.com/watch?v=5tTc8__lXkM
no mention of trading or battling

In pic related it dedicates one line out of 5 to saying that you can ALSO trade and battle.

In Pic related 2 there's only one small line that mentions trading or battling, the rest is solely focused on talking about the single player.

I'm not even saying it was a single player only game, but it's dumb to say that its focus was primarily in multiplayer and not just an addition.

I feel like the marketing in the west really shaped this negative attitude towards the more social aspect of the games.

I mean it is a single player story but the idea that first formed pokemon was Satoshi Tajiri seeing kids playing games with a link cable and imaging bugs crawling through the cable into the other system.

?
Again, advertisements aren't a proof for anything. Marketers focused on it because it was a new thing and people would be more interested by something new.

This boils down to personal preference. I'm not claiming that everybody focused on single player, but claiming that its focus was solely multplayer is fucking retarded.

I'm not saying people ONLY played multiplayer, I'm saying that multiplayer was a focus of the game, and that people played it against each other, so of course competitive issues matter.
How is this so difficult to grasp?

I was asked to post ads that didn't follow the reasoning of that user.
Advertisements don't mean shit.

I'm sure most of you would jump on the bandwagon for any other game that gets an Ad saying that it's full of false info, but nope, I guess all these ads from the 90s that were aimed at kids are just full of truths.

Great job faggot.

You can't have "a" focus.
Not everybody cared about the multiplayer, and for a lot of people it was basically not even there.
Pokemon isn't competitive, it wasn't then and it isn't now. A bug for a move that 3 pokemon can learn is so irrelevant against all the poor balance in multplayer that I can barely believe people still use this shit as an argument.

Okay for real, do you have a mental issue of some kind? Are you okay?

Dude fuck off. You kept going with this shitty discussion after I said nobody had any way of proving this.

I'm done.

Get well soon user.

You could've walked away at any time, user. But anyway look you got some dubs which means you're right.

Yes, because the thing that sparked the idea has any connection on how people actually played.

Speaking of creator comments for Pokemon, here's the original reasoning behind the paired versions as pointed out

forgot to include source: glitterberri.com/pokemon-red-blue/early-concept-art/2/

What the fuck are you retards even pissing about?
FR/LG are objectively superior to Red and Blue. More pokemon, deeper stats, abilities, wider move selections, not buggy as shit…
Seriously, is this even a discussion?

Nostalgiafags and genwunners

I seriously wonder how people can actively dislike any Pokemon games considering how much time one can pour into them compared to other RPGs. Both Gen I and Gen III versions of the same games are good, however one is an improvement, but both are still good.

By that reasoning ORAS are better than R/S.

I bet you don't even like the new evolutions like Crobat do you? Why are you such a normalfag, user?

Yeah, that is my reasoning.

It was, though. It's only marginally better than Emerald because of the lack of Battle Frontier, though, but I can just play both Emerald and one of the ORAS games if I wanted that.

user, pls stop it! Think about your health!

ORAS is better, but Emerald is better the ORAS

If a romhack managed to put all 721 Pokemon into Emerald and put in all the new moves past Gen 3 and the S/P split into Emerald would it be better than ORAS?

I'm not even gonna answer that.

Jesus fucking christ, this is what new pokefags actually believe. No wonder the series has gone to complete shit.

How is ORAS a quick cash grab when it has more features than the original R/S and some more features than Emerald?

Also Pokemon hasn't become complete shit. Sorry you can't enjoy fun anymore.

Where do you get from my post that ORAS was good? The Hoenn games are worst hands down.

Remakes are quick cashgrabs, they've always been in the case of pokemon. They don't require making a whole new maps or thinking up new events, since everything has already been made.

Have you even played any pokemon games in 20 years?

So you didn't play ORAS? Because they did make up new maps and make new events.

I don't, actually, but the new games have made it much, much easier to do so.
Eugenics aren't that hard, apparently.

user you have 30 posts in this thread and most of them are just you sperging out because you don't have fun with Pokemon games anymore. Maybe you should stop and go play whatever video games you do find fun.

Such as the oh so amazing characters redesigns, very few changes to gyms and a few areas, and only one area that was completely changed.
Absolutely amazing, so much work was put into this, I'm sure.

RS has information for every pokemon up to that point. There's a few possibilities:

They didn't have any precedent for that back then, unless you count Crystal being a remake of Gold and Silver on a new console.

You can trade gen 1 glitch pokemon to gen 2, which causes all sorts of fun stuff. Gen 2 had really good backwards compatibility with 1, and I think they were trying to do the same until they realized how hard it would be.

Gen 2 was made with scrapped concepts from 1. There's a glitch type that acts like Steel type, and lots of designs were made that they couldn't fit into the first game. By gen 3 they used up most of those, so they wanted to make a fresh start with new concepts. I thought my copy of Sapphire was fake until I saw the Geodudes in the first gym. It doesn't help that there's a Pikachu named Pekachu in the town

I wish FRLG had an item that replaced the soundtrack with the original version, like HGSS has

FR/LG were released a just over year after R/S was released and Game Freak had two teams. They did plan for it the entire time.

It's literally the same fucking thing

>literally the same fucking thing
You're just being willfully obtuse at this point.

Except it isn't. Even damage calculations changed since then.

You're still using moves to kill other pokemon, the gameplay hasn't changed a bit, it's really nothing groundbreaking

And? Why does it have to be totally different? Are you one of those kids who seem to think that Pokemon needs to be "Skyrim with Pokemon"?

Yeah, why haven't they completely changed the genre by now? Pokemon is shit.

Don't say that, man, an open world first person pokemon game would be pretty sweet.

Take your medicine

I never said I want that. But minor changes to how the battle system works hardly makes a remake worth making or buying.
If you actually agree that having a physical/special split is worth spending 60$ over then you have problems.

No, no it wouldn't, and I've already written why many times over by now.

Pokemon games aren't $60 so your point is moot.

They're 54 euros where I live. That's still too much.

Okay you're a eurocuck, that explains all the retardation.

Really?
I have literally never heard anyone talk about it before in my life. I must've missed this, can I get a quick rundown?

why do pokemon games come out in pairs? what is this bullshit? Also how do people like such a repetitive game? they all take place in the same area

You could just lurk the thread before posting, you fucking newfag.

If Bethesda re-released morrowing in the Skyrim engine with all the bugs from the original release fixed people would flip their shit and get mad as fuck.

And Morrowing has a shit ton of gamebreaking bugs.

But since it's pokemon and nintendo every claim like this gets shunned because muh genwunners.

It's a shitty practice, and you people are excusing them just because you can't stop buying Pokemon.

I hope you're not saying the change in gameplay between older and newer Pokemon games is comparable to the change in gameplay from older and newer TES games.

You're just doubling down on your retarded reasoning, aren't you?

Does it matter?

You're still going to excuse it because it's pokemon. The games have become easy as fuck anyways, most of the game is spent doing repetitive shit because the AI is dumb and there's no challenge.

But then I'm sure you're going to make these changes only matter in multiplayer. But guess what, the multiplayer is exactly the same in the main release as it is in the remake.

Buying a remake just because it's been tweaked is never an excuse.

You keep using that word like people here buy Pokemon. Your comparison is flawed, and it's called "Morrowind", you fucking chode. Just stop posting before you make yourself look like even more of a fool.

So you're saying that a game on which you wouldn't spend money on is still good?

What kind of reasoning is this?

Yeah I wouldn't want people to think something bad of me on an anonymous imageboard. Oh boy, to be ridiculed in a place where there's no way to trace back who I am, I hope that doesn't happen.

Yes it does you double nigger.
There's a big fucking difference.

But it's still the same thing, and you're still playing against the same dumb AI.

You can get the same experience in mutiplayer from playing the main release.

Why the fuck would you play the remake to play online? None of these changes matter in singleplayer

No, I'm saying each generation of pokemon is a marked improvement to the battle system. Nothing is ever taken away, only added and refined, therefore ORAS has much deeper battling than R/S. This is why your comparison was flawed. You keep putting words in people's mouths and address your own made-up argument rather than what anyone's actually saying.

You're being really, really retarded, dude.

That's it, I'm done talking to this fucking idiot.

Simply put Pokemon doesn't translate well into an open world game, even if you keep a turn based battle system. First off gym ordering would be thrown off balance a bit. Gyms are practically ordered in most of the current games to give you some sort of challenge. Sure there are cases like in Gen I and even in Gen II where you could go out of order at certain points but they still gave a challenge depending on what Pokemon were available to you up until that point. Now with an open world that challenge would be gone because you would theoretically have access to every Pokemon available at the get go so you could just fuck off to Route whatever, catch a Water type, and then traverse the map until you found the Rock gym and blasted through that, given there is level scaling to the gyms.

Secondly it would be a region filled with nothing but filler if it was an open world. Routes in the normal games are usually designed with some sort of geographic or geologic features in mind to make them all distinct from each other.

There are countless reasons game design related why it wouldn't work well and how there would be seams everywhere. Now that doesn't mean I wouldn't like to see someone prove me wrong but considering how extensive modding of the Elder Scrolls games are and yet nobody has made some sort of Pokemon-like game out of them tells me a bit.

Goodbye

Why are you all still arguing with someone who has been clinically diagnosed with terminal autism?

Do you ever stop with this bullshit?

I was just asking myself the same thing.

The better gameplay doesn't matter with pokemon, it's barely noticeable in the single player.

You will never use natures. You will never use prostrats. Physical/special split? Fair enough. But everything else is just pointless

I see your point.
I think we have different ideas on "open world game." I would describe what you're talking about as more of a sandbox than just a simple open world: lots of open space and not much to stop you from going anywhere.

What I was thinking of isn't too big of a departure from current games. Liquid Crystal adds a few extra routes around Johto, and just that little bit of effort made it feel like I had so many more options for travelling. At the end of the day, there are still physical obstacles that require gym badges to pass, but there's a lot of room for dicking around and skipping ahead. Like, once I picked up Surf, I was finding hidden caves and zones all over the place with rare pokemon in them and it felt like I was actually progressing well.

You're right in that balancing the gyms would be a nightmare. I know level scaling is widely hated around here, and for good reason, but personally, I always figured that's how the gym leaders operated in-universe anyway: You come in, they see how many badges you have, and go and pick their team accordingly.
It never made sense to me that Brock would just have a couple Geodudes and an Onyx. Aren't you supposed to be tough, dude? It makes way more sense when he's just going easy on you because you're a new trainer. Naturally, as you get more badges, the gym leaders start having less shitty teams until you get to the point where they expect you to come in with a single pokemon and try and sweep the whole gym and appropriately spank you down for it.

But at the end of the day, it's a shitload of work and I get why nobody wants to even bother.

As much as I hate Pokemon Origins for being a shit OVA, that was one thing it did do right, it showed Brock and other gym leaders having a cache of different leveled Pokemon for trainers with different badge counts.

I never saw it. Were you expecting a Pokemon show to not be shit?

I don't understand how autists can even keep up with the Pokemon anime anymore, it's so fucking terrible. Even the normalfag "90s kids" love the older series even though it's just as terrible. It's just made to sell the games.

The one they released about Red before X/Y was pretty enjoyable

It was always pretty bad, honestly.
It just wasn't as apparent in the early seasons when it seemed like it actually might end.

Also because I was 10 years old.

You should rewatch the early episodes, it's really, really cringey.

That was shit, even current XY/XYZ is better.

Holy fuck, the battle between him and Giovanni was so embarrassing. Jolteon KO'd instantly made me salty as fuck. Way to treat a forgotten Pokemon like complete shit. Just to have more screentime for Charizard. Fucking hell.

That entire thing was just an ad for mega evolution anyway.

The last episode of XYZ is much better than the entirety of that travesty. Those fucking feels, man.

well the data's there, certainly. Otherwise you'd never be able to complete a pokedex.
But if every pokemon were catchable there'd be no reason to trade between past and current editions, and that is a feature that enables you to take a starter from RGBY, trade it to GSC, trade it to RSE, trade it to FE/LG, trade it to PDP, trade it to HG/SS, trade it to BW, trade it to BW2, trade it to XY, trade it to AS/OR, and you'll still most likely be able to bring it into sun and moon

yes, you can bring a single mon through that many fucking games

I'm just saying that if you compare it to the rest of the anime, it's not nearly as bad.

I don't think there was ever a moment where the anime was good honestly.

The Ash vs Clemont gym fight was decent animation wise.

Also Serena dancing with her Pokemon was cute and well animated.

Yeah no

when it wasn't yet another trainer fight or trying to sell us on a new pokemon it could be pretty good

in one episode a gyarados held as a guardian deity goes on a rampage because of team aqua or magma or whothefuckever and Ash and co. desperately try to head it off before it reaches a city and fucks shit up

I would say it doesn't stick out too much compared to some other anime that use this technique except if the backgrounds are too plain, like in the fight with Greninja vs that Elite Four's Gardevoir.

In this fight it works since the background isn't sparse.

There are several examples of the animation being fairly fluid. And do remember, this is a weekly show that runs on endlessly each week so it looks quite good.

Compare that to the one-shot anime about Red, and that animation looks like shit considering it's not even a long running series at all. Just a long commercial for megas and for nostalgia.

But you know what should have been an anime? This fucking video.

;_;
inb4 Boogie

I will admit OLM has improved remarkably over the last decade and a half, with a noticable improvement between the Hoenn anime and the Battle Frontier saga and then between the first half of Diamond and Pearl and the Pokemon League episodes, but they regressed a lot when it came to the B/W anime. A lot of the animation was static and boring, none of the battles were really worth watching for theatrics alone. XY did change this and improved a lot of the key animation and fluidity, but seriously the 3D backgrounds are a crutch.

i-is she lifting up her skirt?

And speaking of screenshots taken out of context…

Oh and one of my biggest complaint about they Pokemon anime
Why the fuck does every god damn physical attack have to be some kind of glowing appendage and why does every projectile attack end up producing some sort of smoke explosion

Aren't some of the games like that?

RSE has every pokemon up to that point in data, they're just not found in the wild. Personally I prefer having that generation's new Pokemon exclusively in that region until you receive the National Dex because Ratatta crossing oceans is fucking dumb and they need to learn basic fucking biology.

Not to the extent the anime does it. Like Slash in the games is simply shown as a slicing animation, and with some of the games it shows you shredding the enemy sprite. In the anime whatever appendage of the Pokemon glows white and they just swipe a glowing trail across the other Pokemon. It looks dumb. Now I'm not saying Slash in the anime needs to show the Pokemon goring the other Pokemon, but does everything need to glow while doing it?

I was mostly talking about the games with 3D battle animations. You know, the ones I haven't played.

Same shit

Origins was so much better than the main show, it actually explained some things in-universe, like how gyms work, and had some nice animation to go along with it. Not to mention it didn't make the bumfuck retarded decision to make pokemon say their own name over and over. The main show is fucking retarded, through and through. The OVA at least got some things right.

Please go be an Originsbabby somewhere else
No, it fucking didn't. The animation was hot choppy garbage full of the same 3DCG background abuse the regular anime is plagued with.

But that's wrong, because Gen III had a bunch of old pokemon left in, to remind you what you were missing. Gen V did it right by actually giving you a whole new set of pokemon, at least until postgame. The other good alternative is Gen II, where they just added onto what was there before. III and IV both fucked it up.

They could have just let you catch all the pokemon in game. Instead they jewed you like four times as hard as before.

You're using story to justify gameplay, but you know full well gamefreak wasn't thinking story first and not including pokemon so the story could "make more sense" in such a minor way.

You're also simultaneously saying this stuff is okay because trading, then saying trading is harder than people are making it seem.

Everyone in this thread is saying "well they jew you even harder with the multiple versions!" But they're missing the point, which is that Gen III jewed you even harder than the others. Significantly harder.

Yes it is. Pokemon Gen I was one of the highest selling games of all time, and was only like five years old at the time. You're a fool if you think the goal wasn't to get those dumb kids to buy it again. Everyone already owned it already. Frequently two or three (or maybe even four, for Japanese players) times.

You're vastly overstating how different the remakes are. Other than a short postgame quest it's pretty much all the same shit.

Then you try to say "well it could have been worse!"

I never call people cucks, but you're cucking yourself so hard right now.

Gen III removed more features than it added. Especially disappointing after Gen II actually added a bunch of new shit (that wasn't in gen III). IV fixed it a bit and was at least a significantly longer game, but still left some of the problems.

They just removed time/day functionality and apricorns.

Nah, i'd say XY was on par with RS, and XY easily had the potential to be among the best if it just had a battle frontier and wasn't casualized.

Platnium > Emerald > RS/XY > GSC > FRLG > RBY

I haven't played HGSS, BW/BW2, or ORAS yet.