/agdg/ + /vm/ bread

MOTIVATIONAL GREENTEXT EDITION

If a guy who never touched an engine before can make this, I don't even want to imagine what you guys can make

irc.rizon.net @ #8/agdg/

>>>/agdg/

>>>/vm/

Other urls found in this thread:

blogs.unity3d.com/2016/05/31/new-products-and-prices/
artstation.com/artist/fightpunch
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colt_Detective_Special
soundcloud.com/zawazawazawachameleon
soundcloud.com/zawazawazawachameleon/dashing-rogue-prototype
github.com/pret/pokecrystal
opengl.org/discussion_boards/showthread.php/182226-SwapBuffers()-in-another-thread
cowboyprogramming.com/2007/01/05/evolve-your-heirachy/
stackoverflow.com/a/568145/1362309
soundcloud.com/zawazawazawachameleon/the-dashing-roog
wiki.libsdl.org/SDL_GetCPUCount
en.cppreference.com/w/cpp/thread/thread/hardware_concurrency
msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/kx37x362.aspx
soundcloud.com/zawazawazawachameleon/the-dashing-rogue-less-sawtooth-edition
mediafire.com/?7v190dcvasbqc4y
redblobgames.com/grids/hexagons/
vimeo.com/26339130
lmgtfy.com/?q="spline"+"blender"+"nurbs"
blenderartists.org/forum/showthread.php?358974-Splines-Patching-and-Blender-alternatives
blenderartists.org/forum/showthread.php?225190-Bsurfaces-v1-5
docs.unrealengine.com/latest/INT/Gameplay/HowTo/UseRaycasts/Blueprints/
youtube.com/watch?v=jNVEimfgvm4&user=UCYw0Px9Pb-cS3CEBl8O93Jw
docs.unrealengine.com/latest/INT/Engine/Blueprints/index.html
youtube.com/watch?v=GWbd0Wowwnk&list=PLZlv_N0_O1gaCL2XjKluO7N2Pmmw9pvhE&index=59&user=UCBobmJyzsJ6Ll7UbfhI4iwQ
creativiii.com/guide-pokecrystal-disassembly/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

I made a low poly model based off of this sketch i found online. Then I copied the low poly model and sculpted details out. I made occlusion maps with the HP version. How do i apply the maps to the low poly?

please dont mock the sculpt. I cant deal with hard surface stuff yet

Working on a commission, I am getting a little tired, at least if this works I will begin taking a few more, but dammit! I will go to bed early tonight.

Hallo,

Your commissioner here. Nice to see the progress.

I'm currently enthralled by the shitstorm over at Unity headquarters. As a UE4 dev, I can't be more smug as fuck right now.

Tis a good day.

What's up with Unity HQ? also, not showing more because I don't know if your commission is 100% OC, I am suffering right now with the garments, I was able to fix some rigging but the hard part is just getting started.

The comments.

blogs.unity3d.com/2016/05/31/new-products-and-prices/

Also the previous /agdg/ thread had some screencaps

You can show as much as you want, though its a placeholder mixamo doll.

Also, if you need to get some sleep or request for partial shekels already, please don't hesitate.

Does anyone have experience with importing custom models for Fallout 4 creation kit?

Well, I got a little boost, my autism doesn't let me sleep without at least finishing the current piece, I am sculpting a little right now.

This will be a nightmare because I had to fit them individually so I already had to scale up a little to have all pieces fit in.

ew

Study anatomy. |t'll save your life.

Although I admit the tits on the Hispachan advertisement below does look better.

I wonder why Mixamo's female boobs are like that, it is certainly not natural.

My mistake, I thought that model was your own. But yes whoever made that has no idea how boobs work.

It seems there's a oddly wide gap between the breasts, but trying to think back to all the tits in magazines and film from back in the 80's, I don't think it's too far off.

I recommend you have a try at building a new pair of titties, or send me the model so I can, those are really badu.

Is OK, is just a mannequin in this case, I could fix them myself with some smoothing, it would be a nice rig practice too.

Layer 0 ready for some rigging later, of course the textures will need detail, that's the easy part… I think.

Starting work on this again. Going to redo the UI, I think I'll copy what morrowind/WoW did and let the player open and resize windows.

I don't know if when you quoted me, you expected an expert answer, because I don't know shit about 3D modelling

But looks nice, a game with that kind of vehicle would be rad

Why roguelites?

It's a roguelike though

Wasn't one of the obligatory characteristics of a roguelike having ASCII graphics?

Hitting the bed, I hope I can finish the costume soon.

No?

In my opiinion it doesn't really matter, you wouldn't say nethack isn't a roguelike when you put a tileset over it.
it just needs to be tile based, turn based, with permadeath and procedural generation of levels. If it has those characteristics it is pretty much a roguelike to me, even if it doesn't have RPG elements.

I just need modeling advice. Thanks though.

the guy who actually made that sketch has some pretty cool stuff artstation.com/artist/fightpunch

Try hard surface modelling instead of just sculpting, especially for the high detail bake, you want precision and consistent surfaces. show your toplogy, I guess that's for a game considering the thread you are ind.

thanks.

haha good thing I'm a nodev so that'll never happen to me

anyone else feel like this?

i made a thing wot goes bang

i like this thing, but it needs detailing and a rear sight(?)

That's how the .38 Detective Special is sighted.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colt_Detective_Special

Are there any open source UIs? Can I just steal whatever window borders linux uses?

What are you using to create and draw to your original window? You didn't make a graphics library from scratch, did you?

I'm literally drawing rectangle primitives here.

The Detective Special has a groove running along the top. Iron sights need two points to align properly.

Qt library, if youre cool kid.

oh well that's what i get for going off shitty reference pictures i guess, ill go fix it now

Yeah but that groove can be represented via texture and normal map, not everything needs polygons devoted to it.

There's some Amateur musicians lurking in these threads, trying to shill (myself included) got some stuff here if you're interested.

soundcloud.com/zawazawazawachameleon

Also, finished up a composition for another guy who was asking for a track for his roguelike, I just have to fine-tune it, add a couple more bars and make/choose the instruments.

Unless the issue lays more in line with FT, then ignore my shilling.

Joy-fag here.

HELLO

It's nice to hear you're almost done, I'm really looking forward to hearing what you've done. You have no idea.

I have an unmixed/placeholder version if you're interested. It's just Piano and placeholder drums with no EQ or mixing done, and missing a couple of bars.

It's nice to get some input

Oh, I'd love that.

soundcloud.com/zawazawazawachameleon/dashing-rogue-prototype

ere' you go, missing the intro, and ending, and (maybe) an additional verse. Tried to keep it upbeat, yet slightly ominous. I'm thankful I work nights, it let's me bash away at my Midi-controller without anyone bothering me.

This sounds superb, even with just the pianos.
You da best, zawa.

Nifty, I'll keep working on it. Taking it down for now.

I'm gonna pass out and finish it completely as soon as I wake up.

Sleep well, broski.

Now the grid is an mesh rather than drawn lines, meaning that not only it runs faster, but also do'nt draw over stuff

I also improved the 'tile position detection' code.

Now I need to remake those axis rectangles with something less cpu consuming

Shit.

Does anyone here have any experience in working with the Source Code for Pokemon Crystal?

I'm having trouble understanding how to edit the maps since they don't actually seem to be part of the code.

It looks modeled decently, put will you add any textures to it?

mind posting that? curious about what its written in

It's written in assembly

It's kind of amazing honestly. The music is just a giant string of code that tells the game in which order to play certain notes.

Also apparently there's a bunch of different AIs

It's impressive to say the least, I just wish I could actually use the whole thing with the maps

i thought so. What I'm really interested in is the amount of code and effort that goes into actually coding all of that, and what the end result looks like.
thanks

So I got this so far

I was thinking about adding currents to the air and water, as an additional factor to consider moving units around. Basically, if you move exactly with the current, you get a 0.5 movement bonus, reducing the cost to move through that tile. If you directly oppose it, it increases the cost by 0.5, making you less mobile. The other 4 directions wouldn't change anything.

Every 13 turns (13 weeks, or about once per calendar quarter) the currents would change to face an adjacent direction so there is some variance. Water currents would only appear in deep water, so you can sneak along the coastline without a problem. Air currents would appear in all tiles, and only affect sailing units or those that fly. (Flying would otherwise cost 2 movement into any tile, period). Air currents would probably change every 2 turns (eg 2 weeks) and could face a random direction because of climate and such

Thoughts?

Sounds dope. I'm guessing you're going to have a visual indicator of ocean current/wind direction for the player?

Yeah, it'll probably be an arrow like what I posted, but it'll display as an optional overlay.

I'd probably suggest the ocean tile's texture scrolling in the direction of the current. And maybe clouds scrolling over the tiles (appearing at one edge of the tile and disappearing at the other) for wind direction. Though that might be difficult to do at such a low resolution.

Not sure if I could do that elegantly with a spritesheet. I'll find a way to make it work, though.

I can't understand Blender at all, maybe I am a pleb or something but the controls are a mess.

What engine?

Add "depth" to rivers, Y/N?

A simple shader would probably suffice.

Y

Looks pretty obvious to me, Unity.

I never worked with Unity that "far", and it looks like I won't be doing it with the pricing and all that, well, actually I read the comments on that shitstorm and it looks like Unity 5 had lots of bugs.

I'd tentatively say yes, but you should really brighten up the colours a bit. It's hard to judge what looks good and what doesn't when it's all so drab.

On another note, I'm the enginefag user from yesterday. Thanks to the user who helped me out, I've gotten rid of the 6DOF- though I've kept the axis-based character tracking, I have some nice ideas for things to do with it. I've also put in time management, so the game doesn't just try and pump out as many logic ticks per second as possible- and better yet, the game logic is now dosconnected from the rendering engine. Next step is multithreading the whole thing before it's too late to easily do so, so the logic can truly run seperately from the render cycle. Wish me luck…

user from yesterday here, you're gonna need some luck if you wanna deal with the bullshit that is multi threading.
You're gonna need a lot of it.

The main advantage from multi threading is that you can then separate the rendering thread from input handling. This is especially useful in cases like vsync, where SwapBuffers() will actually cause blocking to achieve the desired effect. If input handling is on its own thread, the render thread blocking because of vsync wont actually cause a delay in input. (Something a lot of games suffer from!)

But here's where I'm going to disappoint you:
It is impossible to do this on Windows without stepping on undefined behaviour.
Some dipshit decided that all input has to be fetched FROM the main thread. On top of that, the main window HAS to be made from the main thread. And technically, the handle to the window is thread-affine, meaning that any interaction with it (like calling SwapBuffers()!) is illegal to do on other threads.
If you google around, you'll find people running into this issue: opengl.org/discussion_boards/showthread.php/182226-SwapBuffers()-in-another-thread
My "solution" for this problem is to ignore it and just accept that this can cause instability. I recommend trying to write your code in such a way that it is easy to introduce synchronization as required. Assume that, for the most part, touching your window in any way from something that is not your main thread is illegal. The only ways I touch my window from other threads is through the functions MakeCurrent and SwapBuffers. This is not legal as I've mentioned before, but I'm just gonna roll with it for now. If needed I could always make SwapBuffers send a signal to the input thread to do the swap for me, and block until that's complete.
Also good fucking luck finding any documentation from Microsoft on this issue. It's notoriously bad.

Some notes about using multiple OpenGL Contexts:

You should probably keep your entire update logic to its own thread, and then just multithread the graphics. But it wouldn't make sense to run the thread that handles position updates until the input thread was run, etc.

Well, the microsoft thing is alright for now because I'm on linux. I guess I'll just have to port it later, and hope…

Pity about not being able to touch the window object from outside the main thread, I was going to pass it to the threaded function as an argument to use glfwgettime(window), but I can just replace that easily enough.

How I'm planning to do it is make the window and all that in main(), then open a thread that has the logic loop and continually updates the state of, say, the player character object (etc) while the main thread, after spawning this new thread, goes into the rendering loop that takes data from the game/player objects to render and does all the openGL stuff. Are there any obvious problems with that?

You mention synchronisation, but is it really necessary to synchronise between the logic and render loop so long as you're not throwing the player camera orientation all over the place in the logic loop before it finalises? Is that what instability means? It doesn't seem like it should matter to the renderer if one cube is a frame behind the others when it renders it, or is that actually a problem? What processes in an engine are most affected by a lack of synchronisation? I can definitely see it being an issue if you have more than one logic thread, that sounds scary.

I'm using GLFW callbacks for input, I'm not sure how they factor into multithreading.

Heh, sorry about all the questions. I'm glad I'm doing this now, and not after adding a bunch of shit to the game…

Oh no programming with hexagons is hard

Best nep is pleased

Also the front of the revolver's cylinder lacks holes for the bullets to come from, though I assume you'll texture those in.

Post wireframe of it pls. Am also lerning to model and I wanna see how you put it together.

Today was a neat day.

I bet you opened it and ruined its collectible value

How dare you insinuate such things.
That wont be until the honeymoon.

Wasn't Iwata behind some of Gold/Silver/Crystal's programming? I know he was able to compress the data enough to add Kanto.

Dude was a programming wizard on par with Carmack.

Woke up late, going into work (I'll be by myself) with all of my equipment, should be done soon.

that's what you get

Can you be a little more subtle at least?

I redid my goblin sprites so they're smaller

you two have no idea what you're talking about

reminds me of locke's quest for the nintendo ds

Good to know you are keeping up the good work.

Really digging the lighting

i'm triggered.

Currently trying to decide if I should go past my own self imposed poly restrictions for items. At what point does it transition from low poly to shitty undetailed model?

I do put that in my own thread. That way the input thread is dedicated to just blocking on events from the OS, whilst the core game logic thread can otherwise block until it gets events from the input thread or other threads. (like network components)

Nope, I do the same.
I have an input thread, which spawns a core thread, which in turn (if desired) spawns a graphics thread. The core thread can also spawn other threads, such as network clients and servers, which also send events to the core thread through the same queue as the input thread.

Instability and synchronization were just the programming terms in that context.
If you SwapBuffers on a different thread, you're relying on undefined behavior, which in some cases can cause issues. This is instability.
If you need to communicate between threads and have threads wait for each other to finish tasks, then you are performing synchronization.
On the note of synchronizing game data and rendering data: I wouldn't worry too much about that. You have to choose between either blocking the rendering thread until new data arrives, or interpolating/extrapolating data for as long as you haven't received new data. I do the latter, mostly because it is a nice way to support high/low frame rate rendering without it impacting game logic. But its obviously more work since the rendering thread has to guesstimate where everything is going.

They'll probably all be called from the thread that does the actual event pumping, which has to be the main thread anyway.

When you fuck it up.

Anyone know of the best way to save a game?
I'm trying to use JSON.Net, but it's shitting the bed when it comes to custom classes.

Which engine?

Sqlite is easy and fast for the same purpose.

MonoGame.

I suppose I could use that… Though I'd have to write converters for every single one of my objects, and that'd take days. Wouldn't it?

Either way you're going to have to serialize and deserialize. There are more automatic libraries for it, but none that are really just drop-in.
Personally, I use Google's protocol buffers for the same purpose, though sqlite is superior if you want to change only a few things and not rewrite the entire save. T

Got the player/world update functions running in a seperate thread, no synchronisation yet, but I'm not seeing any weird bugs so far either- so I'll keep going until I do. Feels good, man. Next up is fleshing out those functions and the way objects are modeled in the world- I don't actually have any model matrices being produced yet, all the vertices are hard-coded.

Actually, what's the best way to store data about the objects in the world in c++? In every project I've done so far, I've just iterated through a list of all the entities in the world, but I guess that's not really a good way of doing it, is it?

I go through each object in my model and use reflection to iterate over the objects properties, and write each field out as its own line in a text file. The upside is everything is human readable and editable in notepad, and I think will be easily backwards compatible. Everything else about it is probably a terrible idea however.

I don't think you should really expect the whole SwapBuffers thing to be an issue ever on Windows anyway. It's just that it CAN become an issue if driver developers want it to be one, so you should be aware of it.

I wouldn't worry too much. Lists aren't efficient, but they work.
If you need just a little bit more performance, you can use multiple lists, where each list contains certain types of entities. One list for players, one list for enemies, etc. This way you can severely cut down iterations in some cases. (E.g. If you have 2 players and 100 enemies, the behavior code for each enemy wont have to iterate through the list of 102 entities, only the list of 2 player entities.)

The two big and not hack-ish optimizations you can make are to make entities local to their location (e.g. instead of having a global list, divide the game world into chunks, and give each chunk a list of entities it contains), this way you can reduce the amount of entities you can see by only iterating over nearby entities (e.g. if an effect/attack/behavior has less than 1 chunk size range, then you only need to iterate over the entity's and its surrounding chunks' entities. There can be many more entities in the game world, and they will remain untouched.)
The other big optimization is to change the way entities are processed to instead of being "process&update entities in order", be "process all entities, then update all entities". This means that you store every entities' state twice; one being the entity's current state, the other being the entity's future state. At the end of each frame, swap which one of these two you're using. This may seem wasteful, but it makes your game logic embarrassingly parallel, allowing you to simply divide your 500 entity processings over as many threads as your processor has logical cores. This isn't very useful at the moment, but when higher core counts become standards you're gonna end up doing it anyway. Or you can be like every other modern game and never have more than 5 actual entities on the screen at any time. RIP actual fucking 12v12 multiplayer.

Ah, that sounds interesting. So I'd have to have the central logic thread figure out how many more threads the system can hold (I guess there are functions that tell you how many threads you can still make?) and spawn a bunch of them, and… Divide the list into 5, say, if you can fit 5 more threads, and then tell each thread to start iterating at a different starting point in the list (5 starting points, equidistant) so they all finish at roughly the same time? And then once each thread has exited, you have your updated list, and can keep going to the second update?

This sounds like fun! But also hard. The number of threads a system can support is 2x the number of processor cores-1, isn't it? Or is it going to be the same as the number of cores?

No multithreading tutorial has presented a function for determining the no. of cores upfront, which makes me think doing so is some horrendous platform-specific shitshow. Is it?

On the subject of entities, I've been looking at this: cowboyprogramming.com/2007/01/05/evolve-your-heirachy/

Basically, make entities by compositing different utility classes (like a physics class, an animation class, and a script(ai) class) together. Looks useful in the long term, for quickly making new kinds of entity on the fly. I think I'll try it instead of the 'traditional' class derivation method, anyway.

I meant class inheritance, whoops.

This is what I am doing as well although I'm not doing any interpolation in the render thread.

I also have a Bullet3D thread running with a variable timestep. Right now I'm running into a fairly serious jitter issue. Bullet docs say it interpolates positions based on variable timestep and substepping but it doesn't appear to actually be doing it. So I suppose I need to implement that myself.

The easiest way to handle multi-thread workloads is with job dispatching here. Where threads never exit, but rather sleep on a shared condition variable. When you push a batch of jobs onto your work queue, you then signal all sleeping threads, which then slurp and process each job until finished, and then sleep again on the condition variable.

stackoverflow.com/a/568145/1362309

If you're constantly spawning and cleaning up threads, you're going to create a lot of overhead right there.

Honestly, if I were you, I wouldn't start working on multithreading until single-threaded processing actually bottlenecks you (it probably won't).

No. Any decent OS has no real thread limit, other than the limit of thread IDs as a physical number, and the limit of memory (as each thread has a memory overhead associated). With Linux, you can spin up thousands of threads if you wanted to (you don't want to). More threads than logical cores just means that the OS is going to switch which thread is actively running, making it appear to be largely simultaneous to the program.

In that way, you are even safe just spinning up a default number of threads (8 is a safe number), or making it configurable.

i started making game while teaching myself how to use engine and program on the fly
game was too ambitious for my noskill so i gave up

i started making other game knowing how to use engine and teaching myself to program on the fly
game didn't seem like it would be fun afterall so i gave up

i currently have a little binder of gameplay concepts and am trying to figure out the absolute simplest to see if i can just shit a full game out and then i'll go from there
it'll probably be indieshit pixelshit platformshit but i guess it's a stepping stone. maybe i can charge hipsters to buy it and they'll think it's profound in its "retroness" or something.

Don't use your gameplay concepts or ideas.
Every starting amateur dev makes this mistake.

Clone. Just clone an existing game. Clone Tetris, clone Mario, clone Marble Madness. Clone the simplest game you can find, and work your way up.

If you have never pushed something to completeness yet, don't burn yourself out on your (likely decent) ideas before you even know how you're supposed to implement them. Learn some of the concepts by fucking up trying to copy something that already exists. Wait until you can visualize an implementable workflow without laying down a single line of code before you go taking a month coding yourself into a corner where you end up with a pile of spaghetti code and never return to the project.

Your approach sounds similar to how I used to tackle projects.
I would always strive to produce a perfect product on the first try, then get discouraged when I had no idea what I was doing or produced a shit product, then give up and move on to another project.

I realized that the key to progressing at all, is to experiment. Learn things in small steps, experiment with what you've learned and save a lot of code snippets that is commented to explain what everything does in case you forget. Do this for every aspect of game development, like collision detection, movement, entity spawning and tracking, tileset maps, cameras, parallax scrolling, etc.

It's a much better way of doing things than trying to be a perfectionist before you know what you're doing.

fuck
that is some good advice actually

thanks user, i'm going to do just that

Can confirm this. I've seen this advice given a thousand times, and I'll give it a thousand more. My current philosophy on learning is "What if [fun game with a shitty or otherwise suboptimal mechanic] had a good mechanic instead?" and I'm learning a lot more than I would have if I'd tried to make some magnum opus immediately.

yeah this is good, too. embarrassingly it took me more than a week to come up with a solid A* implementation, and i saved the fuck out of that.

Yeah man, I almost fell into the same pratfall when I started on learning Love2d, I knew what I wanted to do, made my project folder and started thinking about sprites to use before I even knew how to accomplish the basic game elements.
Had to remind myself not to be such a stubborn retard that's fixated on only learning what I think I need and just learn everything because how I think the game will work isn't how it will actually work.

I broke your song, I'm sorry. I fucked up.

soundcloud.com/zawazawazawachameleon/the-dashing-roog

In all seriousness though, I'm still working on something a bit more fitting for crawling through dungeons though. It's gonna be the same song, but I'm gonna add a bit more to it and create more ominous pads.

Gonna take a little longer than I thought though, thankfully I managed to create two instruments I can use when fucking around at work.

Yep. You literally just divide the work.

You probably mean "Can run concurrently", and that amount is equal to the amount of cores in your processor, except if you have technologies that change that, such as hyperthreading. Hyperthreading makes two threads run on one core at the cost of reduced processing power; but this is often a boost in performance due to fact that most of the time the processors are busy waiting for data to finish loading.

No. SDL has this wiki.libsdl.org/SDL_GetCPUCount
And C++11 actually has it as part of the standard! en.cppreference.com/w/cpp/thread/thread/hardware_concurrency
Just be sure to not spawn more threads than you intend to run concurrently. If you have a render thread and you have as many work threads as you can run concurrently, then you can run into situations where the rendering thread doesn't get the CPU time needed to quickly draw a frame because the work threads are hogging the CPU until their work is done.

When it comes to game logic, I agree with this sentiment. You don't need that shit. Most of the time gameplay runs poorly because of O(n²) logic. You should only do this if it becomes a problem and can get the appropriate boost from it. Like when you're coding your own MMO, and can run it on a 16-core server with hyperthreading.

But separating graphics to run in its own loop is something I consider pretty good practice anyway since it wont make rendering impact game performance. If there's some sort of stutter in rendering that makes a rendering frame take 200ms, then if rendering was done in the same thread, all the player's actions would be delayed until those 200ms have passed.

very WIP desert shit

The desert looks a bit too repetitive and the trees look like they've been pasted on, but everything else looks nice

Not a lot of decorations. Trees don't have AO and aren't done.

I like the building a lot, but if I was you, I would try to randomize the sand texture because you can see from here it is a repeating pattern.

Don't get frustrated if it seems difficult to make it look good, tho. Even AAA games like Oblivion suffered and still suffer from this.

this is really cool!
if you dont mind could you post a sample of the tilesheet? I'm learning to make tilesets and would love to see how they look decomposed

Take your time, man, you're doing really well.
I like it!

That depends very heavily on the context. If you can do it without locking, then yes. You want to avoid the headaches of having to do synchronization as much as you can. If there is a stutter in rendering in a section you have to lock for (because you can't often be fine rendering from data while running game logic and physics at the same time without occasionally having graphical artifacts at best), you'll still be blocking the processing.

This is what well-written threadsafe event handling looks like in C#.

Create separate objects for rendering, containing only the information needed to render/interpolate/extrapolate, and then use an atomic queue to schedule changes to these objects as required.
In addition, include some sort of barrier in the queue to ensure that the changes you schedule only are processed when a frame is finished, so that you don't end up rendering a frame that only has partial state changes.

It's not that hard to build, but it introduces boilerplate.

Loading the EnabledChanged variable is not atomic. Try again.

*frame in this context refers to a frame of game logic. Not rendering. Note that this frame doesn't have to be a game logic tick, but also just the engine quickly responding to an event like a keypress.

Actually never mind I said that, it turns out that all read/writes to the simple types in C# are atomic. References included.

Is this some sort of epic undertale meme I'm missing out on?

I don't think that's the worse that could come from excessive threading. The OS schedules CPU time equally between all same-niceness processes independently from their workload, so at worst (and assuming the code is designed in a sane way) what you could see is some small stutter caused by rendering not being able to finish in a single "turn", thus having to wait for the next one to finish the render cycle.

The problem with excessive multithreading is that context switching can hurt performance, which is why you are recommended to use just as many threads as cores you have. But as you can see, using a fixed amount of "separations" (threads dedicated to a single task) is less than optimal because you could end up putting two threads in the same core (context switching) or simply not being future-scalable because if it uses 4 threads then it will run the same in a 4 core CPU than in an 8 core CPU. The solution to this is to use generic threads and then feed jobs into them, then order them by type (physics, graphics, sound, etc) and process them all with the same engine to avoid changing functions, then change to the required engines for the other tasks if there is still time. There is an Intel tutorial for this, but as you can imagine, if only a few engines have implemented it, it's because it's hard as hell.

It's less than optimal, but you could double buffer your physics world state (or whatever you are using to hold positions) and only expose a physics step to your rendering engine when the step is done. It will consume a lot of memory, but you could still update some UI elements like animations while the actors are stuck in place if a physics step is taking too long.

No, he's just a language pedant.

Experimenting with animated textures, using overlapping UV's with repeating, low-res texture files.

Is it like those people whose autism only shows if you capitalize LUA incorrectly?

That's stupid. Even all of Microshit's documentation and pages use a number sign.
msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/kx37x362.aspx

You fucking bastard.

What's the consensus on shit like GDevelop? As much as I love how Godot even exists at all, I can't even script like a retard. While I do have some minor experience with Clickteam Fusion, it's likely to continue being commercial and proprietary for eternity.

probably sounds like the guy behind it just whipped out some music tracker and slammed on his keyboard

When you get to the implementation stage, you should add one or two frames of movement to the polygons on the tread, just to add to the movement effect, so that it looks like the tread bounces a Littles as its pulled over the wheels, just a one or two cycle animation where you change the angles at the front and back of the tread.

Hi /agdg/
I'm learning a bit of drawing at /loomis/ and starting to learn some programman (Python/LUA) so I can eventually dev.

I want to make "simple" 2D toaster friendly games, from running on old integrated GPUs to portable console homebrew.

I've stumbled upon OpenBOR, L.O.V.E. and the Headcannon engine so far. Which one could be better for that? Is there another engine better suited for the job? How's Godot's requirements on 2D games?

I'm learning love at the moment, it seems like a pretty good option, but I don't have a basis for comparison.
Tested a shmup on an old system with an atom processor and seemed to run well enough, but the engine version between my build environment and the system I tested on was different and the window settings didn't work.

W-why don't we…learn some love…together? Thanks for your input user. It would be fun to make a game I could play on a 3DS or some other portable device (LOVE on the 3DS is being implemented as far as I know). It feels comfy.

I think we should make music together instead.

That's C++ and cross-platform libraries for sure. You've got a hard road ahead of you. Why don't you just target PCs from the last fucking decade?

In gml, trying to do a game over text when you die. I wrote (if state="dead"){draw_text (x, y, "Game Over")}; and tried putting it in the step event, the draw gui event, nothing's working. My character's state is dead when I check it, but it's not displaying the text. How do I get it to draw the text while the character's state is dead?

Nevermind, got it working somehow.

Give me a good 3D engine that's not shit.

UE4 if you're willing to fund chink overlords on the side

Progress:
*Added spikes
*Added actual level
*Added death and game over screen.

Feedback?

forgot to turn off mgs music while recording, whoops.

What's there really to say? The temp control scheme looks awful, by the way

I thought it added to it.

I said good

it's better than unity

I'm playing a game, not typing. I don't want my hands on the home row. Even WASD + arrow keys would feel less cramped.

A + D, Space to jump, and arrow keys for slide/boost would be fine with me. Of course, like any decent game, you're already planning on allowing players to rebind the keys, right?

horrible for web based games. trust me.

Yeah, but that'd probably be a late feature. And I didn't think about the whole cramped thing, I'll try a different layout.

i agree.

Still working on this, I need to get better at painting weights, if it weren't for the PhysX addon the skirt would look terrible, not to mention I still have clipping on that top, BUT, if my commissioner thinks this is good to go I will leave them like that and begin working on the second layer of clothes.

the top of the skirt looks terrible tbh

Yes I know, can someone show me some reliable ways to weight paint skirts? it would be useful, also, PhysX has a limitation of 4 influences but I don't know what it means because some clothes I have added APEX to them have more than 4 joints working on them at the same time and I get no error message when I apply the addon in Maya (as it did in the past)

how are you weight painting them right now?
from what i understand, you should specifically go through most animations, check for frames where there's clipping and fix things there, rather than just doing the T-pose

I do for that animation in this case, there are more extreme postures but even that one is giving me trouble, specially between the waist and the groin.

doing test
for some reason they wanted the magicians to be overpowered and do damage equal to their entire mana

?

the teachers

soundcloud.com/zawazawazawachameleon/the-dashing-rogue-less-sawtooth-edition

Finished.

any adjustments you want me to make, I can. I can also make one that loops. Bumped up the bpm, added a few things, and redid the lead and sub-instruments, added a string, and debating on whether or not to add a choral string, up to you.

Some exam or test programs are awful. I remember helping with one called 'Monster', where you move around a cave which you can't see in, and 3 spots kill you and 1 makes you win.

Today's the day I'm finally going to do it
is what I said last week and the week before that

fug

You are using an obscure toolchain to work on modified disassembly of a program for a very old system. Can't be too surprised that it's not a clean process.

It's beautiful.
I absolutely love it.
If you could make a loopable version, that'd be amazing.

mediafire.com/?7v190dcvasbqc4y

Here you go, 6 Minutes and 37 seconds long, and loops perfectly after the intro (the cutoff point for it is at 12.80 seconds

If there's anything else ya'need, let me know. I work for free, I need to keep working and cutting my teeth, and this helps a great deal.

That's an interesting idea, though it might be a pointless addition since I'm making this with an RTS in mind, and I'm not sure you'd really be able to see the jiggle from that perspective.

Anyway here's the full model I've been working on. Kind of a clanky, low-tier light tank with an awkward design that resembles experimental prewar tanks. I'm envisioning mobile artillery, tank destroyer, assault gun and engineering variants as well, and when I get to those I want to try and keep them all on the same texture file.

Not that anyone uses surround sound systems with PC games these days, but it's still nice to have this shit just in case

Finally got back to work today.
I added the basis for items, and some function for them.
i also added room switching, so I can add insides to houses.
next things to do is to create a fade in and out script for doors and beds, and start adding an actual inventory system with a shortcut item switch like in friends of mineral town

I'm gonna be using that in a tabletop game I'm gonna run. Shit's dank.

I wish the melody was higher in pitch like the older one though.

You'd be surprised how well everything else is working. The only problem are the maps. Events, dialogue, etc, all works great.

With the recent news surrounding Unity, I decided to give Unreal 4 a shot. It's not like Unity wasn't the source of many frustrations in the past after all. Besides that, the Unity 5 development cycle was…rather disappointing when comparing it to the progress Epic keeps making.

Now, it's a bit late to switch, but I'm a capable programmer and apparently slightly masochistic. I specifically decided »not« to set myself a goal but rather take two weeks and see where I end up. Two weeks aren't enough to really learn a whole lot, but I want to see whether I like the general workflow or not and get a rough idea of how much work it would be to port.

Seriously, it so frustrating to find yourself in an environment with an all new workflow (that you don't know), a completely different API (that you don't know) and just generally being lost.
Here's me hoping there will be some kind of breakthrough. A moment of clarity after which the whole framework will start to make sense.

Anyone have any recommendations for tutorials?

redblobgames.com/grids/hexagons/

Turns out I was clinging to the offset coordinates (as seen in regular grids) and having difficulties.
Also, C# optimizes normal arrays more than it does jagged or multidimensional arrays, so I'm basically trying to solve a problem where given a number between 0 and 65536 (eg, the X and Y indexes), find the 6 neighbouring hex indexes with as little work as possible.

Looks like I did it.
Collision is automatically handled by the tilesets, which is pretty fucking impressive. Even the connections between maps are incredibly easy to change.

I'm so fucking impressed by how this fucking game was done.

what the fuck kind of black magic is this?

Also if you really want to be impressed, rollercoaster tycoon was done entirely in assembly.

Thank you so much.
If you don't mind, I'd love for you to do more music, Steam and Skype name is in the e-mail field.

Also according to wikipedia 99% of the code was done by one guy.

why even live

I don't even know you fuck up this bad

Aww

Those little moments when a small mistake in the math leads to pic related at 1 AM… (it was supposed to be 4 intersecting spirals)

And that's why working with trig is so rewarding.

Go to bed, bro.

You do realize that those labels are recreated, right? Autists on the internet essentially named and commented all the published assembly.

They did comment it, but the assembly is taken from a ROM, that shit was already there fam

nifty, I'll get into contact after work today

I re-uploaded one with higher pitch, mainly because I really enjoyed the portamento bend effects had on the synth

Wait, what happened? Did they greatly change their EULA?

They almost doubled the price of the licenses.

Finally got around to making the base model for bear people.

Also trying to make a DialogueTree class to replace the abomination I'm using at the moment.

The best tutorials for UE4 for me were by Tesla Dev and Moize Opel.

Of course they were all in Blueprints, but generally rather than a programming replacement, Blueprints for me were a way to easily manage 3D assets by taking on most of the functionality that would have to be handled, for example, by 3D animators.

that looks pretty cool
mind telling us a bit about your game?

I don't post very often, but I'm the guy making a 3D ARPG in Godot. It's heavily inspired by the N64 Zeldas, though I'm planning a lot of features outside that.

Currently what I have is a functioning actor that can run, jump, swim, climb ledges, and interact with world objects (currently only reading and talking- dialogue tree is being worked on atm).

In the near future I'll be adding stuff like a player inventory, basic needs, and using weapons and items.

I've been using 3DS Max for almost 10 years now, but the quality of that program has been in a steady decline for years because Autodesk are fags.

Over the last few days I've been experimenting with Blender, and as a whole I think it's pretty solid, but I hit a roadblock last night.

Correct me if I am wrong, but it looks like there is no way to do proper spline modeling in Blender, is there?

I mean full blown, 100%, everything-is-connected Spline Cage models. That's my preferred method for nearly everything, because when I do that in 3DS max then at any time I can just change a number on the Spline rendering to increase or decrease polygon counts while maintaining the same shape of the model. It's honestly a great system, but Blender just doesn't seem to have this ability. Not even via add-ons, as far as I can find anyway.

Undertale 2 looks GREAT!

Keep it up toby!

ahh, you're that user. Do you have anything you post progress on?
Never thought someone would use godot for 3D
you madman :)

Who made this and what's it called?

Oh gamedev anons, I've been trying to learn how to code, a bit of java, javascript, and python.
But I don't really know what I am doing. Any experience you might impart on a pleb on what to do, especially what languages and tools for making games?

decide which engine you want to use (which match your requirements for what u eventually want2 do… so 3d/2d support, documentation, licensing, their EULA, revenue sharing, tools available, look up the pros/cons of the engine, etc).
then u have a selection of languages to choose from, that the engine supports, and I'd recommend you to use the most popular one (as it's widely used for a reason).
then it's pretty simple from there… learn, practice, experiment, rinse repeat.

thou, it's best to try and find the best learning resources possible for your learning style (i'd think on this, as it helps to find said best resources, i.e. how u learn best… so kinesthetically, auditory, visually, mix of these, etc.).
if you're not confident in the language you chose, then learn the basics (not necessarily in the game engine, just in VS or something doing practice mini-projects), and do this until you know at least the foundations of the language.
then, progress to applying this in the engine, and using their tutorials/guides; later go onto reproducing a simple game as practice.
Then, and only then, I'd recommend you to start programming the game you actually want2 make.

This may be my personal bias, but do not bother with java or javascript.
Python isn't terrible, however, I really do not like the convention it uses.
While it's good practice to use whitespace to denote sections of code and help with readability, I don't like it being used in place of having ending statements in loops or conditionals. Also, there's always those assholes who use SPACES instead of TABS in python, and I hope they choke on a DICK for every space they used.

I'm rather enjoying the love engine so far, but ultimately it's up to your preference. Try different things, and if you're really serious about making games, you'll find the language or tools that resonate with you.

I'd listen to this user. .lua is a really easy language to learn, and it's pretty decent as well. And Love is a decent framework to start learning on.

Okay, I have a weird question pertaining to animation. It's mostly about 2D, but it could apply to 3D. I'm not sure.

Let's say you have a sprite game that you're working on.

You have a run animation, an idle animation, an animation of your character swinging a bat while idle, and an animation of your character swinging a bat while running.
You want to give the player full control over when and where they can swing their bat, because only being able to do it while sitting idle feels bad, so you let them do it while running.

So to achieve this, and this may be the part I'm not understanding, you start your run animation and running attack animation with the same exact frame.
First pic for example.

But what would happen if the player decides to attack on any of the frames that the animation DOESN'T start on?
The second pic, for example.

The animation would suddenly jump back to the first frame of the animation, and because the run and the attack are in the same sprite, you can't just start the attack animation to sync up with the current run, because the bat would already be swung, or in the process of swinging.

How do you seamlessly transition between the two animations?

You'll have to do something like myPlayer.animation.PlayFromFrame(2);

Wait no, I misread that. I'm retarded.

The only way I can think of doing it now is to separate the body and legs into two different sprites.

Nice work user, 10/10.

Keep em separated. Kinda like how Megaman's head was his own sprite, do the legs as their own object, and have the torso follow them.
You could also just have the arms and weapons follow the body&legs. But you're definitely gonna have to split them up.

Or DONT have a transition at all. Sometimes this makes the game feel more like a game which could be a good thing depending on what you're going after.

u wot m8

I'll fukin pop u 1 rite in the gab swer on me mum not even lyin

Nah, only ever post updates here. And believe me I understand the challenges of using Godot for 3D. I've already encountered a handful of major issues that I've had to work around until they fix them.

Animation tree is fucky, 3D areas can't query if an arbitrary point in space is in them nor interact with raycasts, rigidbody class doesn't have the features needed to be used as a character controller… the list goes on.

Thanks anons for the advice.

i don't plan on making web based games though, but as way to crank out vidya

Okay, my first 'complete' project. Took me much longer than thought, but it was fun.

Was following Shaun's gamemaker videos and first wanted a shoot-the-blocks game, then played with two player, then just put it all together.

I made the other player go left-right while I attempt to shoot it through the bricks, quiet hard it is.

Anyway, a huge thanks to agdg for everything, you made me work for something, I first wandered around in october '15, procastinated months, and made a crude game.

He actually did it the absolute madman

Excellent!
When can we expect your MMO :^)?

Actually, I want to make a lf2 styled fitan game.

mah nigga

Had my first taste of fitan from there, years ago, haven't forgotten a bit.

P-please respond…

Blender is primarily for box modelling. AFAIK Splines (including everything from Bezier curves to NURBS surfaces) are second class citizen; Just there to cover the basics.

I don't get splines, they just look like subsurf modifier

Splines are to "normal" meshes, what vectors are to bitmaps.
With a usual mesh you have a set of faces, defined by edges which in turn are defined by vertices. Those vertices are set. What your subsurf modifier does (when you use the Catmull-Clark algorithm) is adding more vertices in between, interpolating their position. It's an approximation.

Splines, like vector graphics, don't store the vertices (or pixels), but rather describe them mathematically. With that you can generate the actual meshes on the fly and have them be as smooth as you want them to be.

The main difference is that splines are accurate, whereas subsurf is only an approximation that destroys the object's shape. Have a look at the attached pictures.
In the foreground you can see two cylinders generated with splines. In the background you can see two made with normal meshes. The left ones are low poly, whereas the right ones had their fidelity increased. The normal mesh had 1x subsurf applied to it and, as a result, had it shape greatly changed. What's more is that the actual radius of the cylinder decreased. You can mitigate this effect with certain modeling techniques, but the problem will still be there: It's not accurate.
The spline one had it's detail slider literally set all the way up and generated a far more detailed cylinder without destroying the shape: The radius stayed the same.

IIRC the idea to model 3d meshes using such maths came from the automotive industry. Think about the smooths shapes cars have. With splines (in their case NURBS), you can literally adjust the details with a slider without having any issues.

FUCK

Back to 3DS Crash then.

Toking while devving is truly the most effective practice there is. I'm starting to think my missile broadside is starting to look rather nice. They lock on within a certain range but you can also aim for the asteroids to fire a volley of smaller fragments in their direction.

Wait, it looks like Bsurfaces for Blender might be able to give me what I want (or close enough anyway).

I'll have to give this a spin.

vimeo.com/26339130

dude weed lmao

this is in z80 right? im interested in trying to write something simple in assembly but im not sure what to target, and i've heared x86 assembly is a fucking mess.
also if anyone has tutorials on the basics of assembly languages in general it would be greatly appreciated

Only 4 more seasons to go…

there you go m8

and yeah the cylinder holes will be textured since drilling 6 circular holes through a single face is incredibly costly in terms of polygons and isn't really needed in this case

i'm gonna texture it at some point in the near future, im just a little busy with other shit right now

its more than 'just a mess'
its a fucking labyrinthine bowl of miniature spaghetti
>tfw no set standards on RISC-V assembly yet

guess i'll be steering clear then
as for now, i guess ill give z80 a shot, since most Ti calculators support it, and who doesnt want to program games on calculators

How does my thruster look fam?

fukken neato fam

It seems a bit strange for there to be a corona around the plasma.

You are gonna have to explain to me what a corona is.

Latin for Crown, also means ring.

ah fuck my life

I've seen people use Spline cages for modelling in Blender, I recommend you give it a try before throwing it in the trash.

Gotta be fast around here.

That darker blue bulb around the base of the plasma shooting out would be the corona.
Not that I'm any kind of expert on what a plasma stream looks like, but I think the corona would at least be more subtle.

Yeah i think i see what you mean, i'll work on that.

Link examples please, because I've spend days googling for proper examples and have found none.

If you ask me, stick to the rule of cool.

Does it look cool? Keep it.

here's a show in a similar vein (spooky):

Love that show, I had to binge watch it heh.
hope u get back to developing soon. u making a horror game? And is that your inspiration?

nice, looks good.
Though yeah as people mentioned the corona is a bit strong on those thrusters.

lmgtfy.com/?q="spline"+"blender"+"nurbs"
blenderartists.org/forum/showthread.php?358974-Splines-Patching-and-Blender-alternatives

I think that's what you're looking for…

I meant I've actually seen other people do it. I can't give you a vid of that.

No. Obviously, Blender can make splines, but what it can't seem to do is make a properly connected spline cage that then can generate a mesh from that spline cage.

That second link has screenshots that seem to be close to what I want, but no actual instructions for how to do it.

Which tall grass is better?
[spoiler]how the fuck do you even make tall grass???

Not the one on the left.

Yeah, in the end it's whatever he wants to use, I'm just tossing in my opinion on the look without knowing anything else about what he's going for.

Yeah that show was a good one too, I just felt like putting my nostalgia goggles on again, goosebumps, are you afraid of the dark, and eerie indiana bring back good memories
I'm learning gamedev to make a lewd platformer and erotic rpg, but a horror game based on these old shows with the recurring characters would be fun to do

Pic 2 looks better I think.

This looks fukken noice m8, need a musicfag?

sick spoiler tag
Or is a mix best?

no

Mix looks OK actually, variety can be good.

what is going wrong with that tileset?
It looks like quadrants are being positioned wrong or something where that whitespace at the top-mid is.

yes

Yeah I was going to say, the Dragon Dildos need work.

ah well, I'm a programmer and not a modeler

I found this addon, it says in some different blender forum pages about spline cages
blenderartists.org/forum/showthread.php?225190-Bsurfaces-v1-5

I like the mixed

pfhaha, nice, phallicalicious

o nice, we don't have many western erotic rpgs

Yeah I posted a video showing off Bsurfaces here and I'd say it's close to what I want but not exactly. Will experiment with it though.

The next closest backup seems to be make spline > copy splines so I don't destroy my work > convert copy to mesh > grid fill. Clunky, but usable.

I'm beginning to think that the guy I brought onto my team doesn't have the same enthsiasim for deving that I do. He's promised me gun textures yet given nothing but ideas.

Anyway, any suggestions for this sniper rifle?

Explosive rounds

At that range and zoom power, I'd imagine the gun's aim should bob and twitch at least slightly, being perfectly still seems very unnatural, unless that is what you are going for/don't want to compromise game play.

Yeah, erpgs, or ero-games in general are severely lacking.

How exactly do you set up the map from your tileset?

This tbh. It looks sick as fuck.

Screw reality you're not making a simulator.

It's only perfectly still when the player is crouching and staying still. When moving while crouched or when doing anything when standing (staying still, running, jumping) it bobs aroudn. It's done this way intentionaly but in the future if I do want it to bob around a little even when crouching I'll just have to change a single number in the animation blueprint to get it that way.

Hooray for making flexable systems!

for you

By the way, I suck balls at programming but I am considering an attempt at slapping some guns into Unreal 4 via some online tutorials to see how far I get.

How hard would you say getting that into the game has been so far?

TileD.
The previous images were from image editor.

fucking sweet, there better be decaps, I wanna see heads explode from that shit.

Oh okay, I didn't think it was possible that the tiles could get messed up like that. Makes sense now.

If you draw a bunch of equally sized squares in paint and call them tiles doesn't mean they'll magically align themselves.

scope looks too small and should be further back on the gun, wind should have a play in bullet flight path, and camera should be closer to scope when zoomed.

Yeah I thought it was a screencap of the map in-game, which was why I was scratching my head over the whitespace not being proportionate to the tiles.
In the love engine a map is created from a table of numbers or ascii characters that are mapped to quadrants assigned to positions on a tileset, so tiles really only become misaligned horizontally, but a check can be added to prevent the game from loading if rows of tiles aren't all equal.

Depends on what you wan to do. My experience is with blueprints so keep that in mind.

If you want to just have relatively slow moving projectiles then the First Person example project has those already implimented and you just need to tweak it for your needs. If you want to use raycast weapons that's not to hard to do either as there are built in functions to handle this.

docs.unrealengine.com/latest/INT/Gameplay/HowTo/UseRaycasts/Blueprints/

Honestly with blueprints this shit is really easy as it is pretty much already built in. As long as you can read and understand the documentation, and think like a programmer blueprints is awesome albeit slightly less effecient than C++ provided you aren't doing any intensive loops or calculations.

Speaking of which, my system is a little more complex. I'm using raytracing because I wanted to replicate actual bullet speeds and it doesn't bug out when simulating this, unlike physics objects. I also have bullet penetration, richoche, bullet drop and air resistance, as well as having the bullets inherit the player velocity (they will move forward slightly faster if the player is moving forward and move slightly slower if the player is moving backwards slower).

Basicaly I'm using a modified version of this guys system so that it uses ray tracing (and some sphere tracing) instead of physics objects.

youtube.com/watch?v=jNVEimfgvm4&user=UCYw0Px9Pb-cS3CEBl8O93Jw

He takes it really slow and goes into detail but if you are just starting out I would suggest you begin with one of the offical Unreal Engine blueprint tutorials and work from there.

docs.unrealengine.com/latest/INT/Engine/Blueprints/index.html

To get the animations to work I'm using Blender to make the animations and I'm using the Unreal Engine animation blueprints and framework to impliment them, which I learned how to do from the documentation and from these videos.

youtube.com/watch?v=GWbd0Wowwnk&list=PLZlv_N0_O1gaCL2XjKluO7N2Pmmw9pvhE&index=59&user=UCBobmJyzsJ6Ll7UbfhI4iwQ

Getting guns like this is easier than in other engines but still takes time. Honnestly I wish I could just be there with you and explain all of the ins and outs of the engine, but the best I can do is reference you to the tools I used when learning.

Does this mean I'm going to have to do more than just spawn a sound and particle effect at the impact location?

Moving the scope and zooming in the camera are both easy fixes. Wind was something I was going to add anyway so I'll work on that now and get back to you later. Shouldn't be very difficult (I say right before I found out it's going to be very difficult).

I'd love to have all that except for the inheritance, mainly because that's just a waste of time to bother implementing. If a bullet is traveling 900m/s then adding a player's 1-3m/s can easily be considered a negligible impact on the overall bullet path.

Thanks for the links, bookmarked them for now.

No idea if I'll actually do anything yet, first I have to decide if I like Blender or not. I'd love to just keep using 3DS Max but if I actually made something I could sell then I wouldn't want to shoot myself in the foot because I was using the student version and that's not really allowed.

What engine? tileD looks really useful.
also about the grass i think both look fine, using both wouldn't hurt

Inheritance was just a thing I did on the side to keep the system flexable. For a long time I didn't have it at all and there wasn't any noticable difference after I implimented it. If I ever decide to use a slower moving projectile, however, where inheritance does matter I'll have the system already in place. Not saying you have to do it, just saying that's why I did it.

Rough wind system implimentation. I've proven it's possible, now to refine it and make it make sense and untie it from the frame rate. I've decided to keep exposive bullets in to show where the hits are (and the sound cue is a nice way to demonstrate the time it takes for the bullet to travel the distance that it does).

That's pretty good.

It's my own engine based on Monogame Framework. Tiled exports to XML though so you could create your own map parser in whatever you wanted.

Have you ever been near a Barret .50 Cal rifle when it is fired?

I have. I was standing 15-20 feet away and it felt like someone punched me in the chest.

That day I learned that it is impossible for any video game to accurately replicate the feeling of such a powerful gun.

OMG are you the monogame user?
please tell me how you learned, every tutorial is by some autistic person, and all the text based tutorials were so fucking advanced i wanted to cry
help me i beg you

Thanks.

I've only heard stories of .50 cal. Strongest caliber I've fired myself is M14 (I think, it's been a while), though I have been around some explosions. I doubt that in my lifetime we will reach a point where one can feel the punch similar to that of an actual gun through the game although I hope we do so I can watch polygon try and review it.

There is only one way for a game to give you that same punch. Subwoofers. Big. Fucking. Subwoofers.

Really big.

This guy is retarded and he does a bunch of retarded shit, but when I started I didn't know better. I don't really use much of monogame's shit other than the main game loop and drawing. It's mostly just C# shit.

i fucking haaate his voice, but ill watch it i guess. Im curious how a custom engine works in monogame, mind demoing it? :D

What do you mean by demoing it?

One thing i actually don't need, friend already offered to do it pro bono

Took me a long ass time, mostly because the thing was just fucking breaking over and over again, but custom tilesets are a go.

Fun fact, the game won't load a new tileset unless you access the area with a warp (go into a building and then go out on the other side). If you do a normal transition, the tilesets that aren't the same will just break completely.

It's kind of interesting how they used the gates in the original games to get around this and then kept using them trough the series even though there was no need for them

didn't mean to sage, let's bump this to page one

Protip: You can delete your post after the fact, and it won't change the fact that it was bumped. Anyone who was already in the thread will still see it, so it's not like it matters.

I'm not gonna delete my post just because of that, don't be a cunt user, jesus christ

I think maybe you're misinterpreting my intentions. I wasn't trying to be shitty in any way. What did you take issue with?

now kiss

I thought you were saging but you weren't.

You did sound kind of like a dick. It's all good though, don't worry.

Been working on a platformer-shooter type of thing, collisions were a pain in the ass to sort out but I've finally fixed many of the previous issues I was first having. I'm probably going to sort out weapons, animations and things like that soon, too.

The only problem is that I have no idea what kind of plot to give this shit. If any of you ideaguys could give your two-cents worth, that'd be appreciated.

Coma-fantasy.
COMA FANTASY
THE COMA FANTASY OF A DYING OFFICE WORKER. WHO WASTED HIS LIFE.

this actually works with some other gameplay elements i was thinking of holy shit thank you

sorry, i should have asked earlier, but does it have a graphical front end? I don't know much about custom engines, so i got really intruiged

it's sorta like a primitive form of chunk loading
are you rom hacking? or something cooler

Anytime, just email me the royalties and we'll be even.

:^)

(best of luck on your game doe)

I'm working with the Pokecrystal disassembly, and writing a comprehensive guide on how to edit the game as I learn.

Unfortunately at the moment there's literally zero guides that explain things, so I just thought it would be good practice to play around with it for a while and document how to do things. It can get kind of frustrating to have to figure stuff out by yourself, but it does feel really good when you do.

Pokemon G/S/C is one of my all time favorite games, so this shit is just up my alley.

Whoops. Fix'd that for you, user.

Love the implants.

Serialisation is a pain in the ass.

Why not use OpenCL? Compute shaders lose a lot of their convenience when the code grows large.

Ohhhhhhh yes, it is.
It was one of my main problems with Unity. I have forked a very powerful serialization asset that the original developer stopped supporting. Lots of code that needs to be maintained.
I wonder how much work it will be to get saving/loading in Unreal.

Protocol Buffers (protobuf) are a godsend for serialization. Msgpack works well too if you want to roll your own, and don't want schema validation or backwards compatibility. Json if you need it human readable, but it's more of a pain to parse and print.

I did look into that, but the issue is no native support in the engine I'm using (in all honest I'd rather use openCL, due to a wider support of OS'/graphics cards compared to the engine native compute shaders).
I could use some external dll for openCL, that was made to be compatible with the engine i'm using, but it's an old and defunkt version.
Well, as far as I can find.

Though, I'm considering just trying it out and seeing if it matches my needs.
As it would make future improvements/modification a lot easier too.

do you have site for this gaem? its look neat

O dang, there's some awesome resources for openCL development

i agree, I'm always looking for to that anons updates, and am pretty stoked to play their game when it's good and finished.

Looks like I finally sorted out the kinks in my serialisation shit.

Also, I fixed a bug with throwing items, so that's good.

do you have any documents up yet or somewhere i can check it out? would be interesting to read and even try to heavily modify the game into something newB

I have been posting stuff and tutorials as I go through them on my portfolio,

I'm not sure if I should post my personal portfolio here, though.

Give it a shot either way, it's not that hard to start, I'll be here to give you a hand if you need it.

got somewhere i can get it in private? or if thats too much its cool, this is just super cool and distracting me from my own work

also how long have you been working in assembly for now?

Do you have an email? I can send it to you there, I just don't want to put it here on Holla Forums.

Also, if I have to be completely honest, I have never touched assembly before this. But it's pretty easy to understand.

i sure do!
i was looking at z80heaven and another site for z80, learning how to calculate binary takes like 3 minutes, and i was gonna try to wrap my head around hexidecimals today and try to write something small, like a calculator.
cheers!

Seems like Holla Forums just blocks emails.
Listen fuck it, thread's already autosaging, worst that can happen is one of the few anons still lurking will click on it.

creativiii.com/guide-pokecrystal-disassembly/

It's missing the cygwin setup, and I still haven't written up the custom tileset one, but there already is some useful stuff.

it doesnt block them, you just need to activate javascript. still, thanks for the link, im free all summer, so i might try to hack something together using the source code as a reference and compile it to a rom(which is stupidly difficult) i tried finding an easy way to compile, i spent 5 minutes with tasm and said fuck it.

If you're on windows and using cygwin, compiling is really easy.

Just follow the tutorial on pokecrystal github page to set it up (there's also different tutorials for other OSs), once you're done just move to the pokecrystal directory, type make and it will compile to a rom.

Literally two seconds

thank you for helping my autistic ass
also if you still want it
[email protected]/* */
was supprised nobody took it

Working on the mandatory big fucking lazer for my spacegame. I kind of want to make it twitchy and spastic but that makes collision checking such a struggle. Any tips?

what are you making it in?
my first thought would be to draw something invisible that covers the collision, unless you're trying to get the collision exact to the lazer

Game maker. They are drawn using a path and basic shapes to cause the triangle effect. Ill give invisible hitboxes a shot.

Ah well, lucky him, your gaem looks neat mate, keep at it.

make sure to test it and try for something that feels fair. too small is better than too big

think its time we bake some new bread
have a free PDF since i cant rn

Thanks, kind user!

did you play ev nova in the past per chance?
Your game really reminds me of that, and of course star sector a game that will never be finished.

Humm, I actually did this when I was still working on my 2D space game.
I used a raycast to detect collisions (set a max length), so it wasn't necessary to have a collider for the laser itself, and that worked pretty well (i.e. upon collision, I'd change the length of the laser raycast + length of the laser rendered [explained below], and I spawned a particle system upon colliding with the raycast point to add tangible feedback).
For the actual laser effect, I used a line render, which is made up of vertices (plus positions of said verts) so making a twitchy effect is easy.
I applied random noise function to every position (except the ship gun position) for the vertices that made up the line render for each frame.
The noise was just a simple 2D perlin noise function.
For the noise you can do a lot of different stuff to add different effects. You could simply set a range for the output noise, and generate the effect based on the position of vert (as inputs to the noise function), or use random numbers as inputs); in addition to many other things (there's so many noise techniques it's ridiculous, so that'd be easy to find, and make a bunch of variations).

didn't proofread, sage for correction

There's a Visual Studio extension that adds intellisense to HLSL

yeah, I've tried a few of them
long story short, it doesn't want to work for me unless I do some pia workarounds that would be required for every time I edit the code in any substantial way; as the functionality to get around that for the extension is always broken or just doesn't want to work for me.

I've pretty much decided to switch to openCL anyways, after doing a lot more research on it, and it's far superior to unity's compute shaders in terms of almost everything; in retrospect I had a feeling I was going to use openCL when I started with compute shaders… I should've investigated more.
I suppose the compute shader stuff was just some good practice for gpgpu stuff, and my code won't be hard to port considering i've redesigned the algorithm that I need massive parallelism for so many goddamn times.

Joy now has music.

Thank you so much, Zawa, you glorious motherfucker.

I dunno about using a shader to animate the grass. I might have to some super sampling to make outlines and things look better. Maybe I'll just end up animating it by hand instead.

There's no graphical user interface, but enemy, weapon, particle effects, and basically everything else are all done through XML so making editors is super easy. The game will be fully modable.

multiverselabyrinth.tumblr.com

Thanks a lot user I made quite a lot of progress with your help. Will post more progress later.

Part of what throws it off is that the very base of the grass is shifting around. The base should be stationary and the higher up it goes the more it sways.

I agree with this user. It also seems a bit to synchronized, if this were in full screen I would assume I had some minor screen tearing.

shiieet, why has no one done anything like this with VR yet?
you'd think there'd be a ton of shitty lightsaber games with this by now