WHAT IS IT?

WHAT IS IT?

A completely free, nearly decade old shooter/RTS hybrid on the source engine with fuckhuge maps, tanks, and squad/class based gameplay.
The commander on each team pilots the command vehicle, where he can enter the top down perspective to place buildings, research technology, and give orders. Squads and individual players maintain friendly bases and push into enemy territory, employing customizable tanks, reconnaissance, turrets (and the sabotage thereof), and tankbusting mines.

ISN'T IT DEAD AS SHIT?
It was. Until recently, there were absolutely no servers up for the game. Currently, the playerbase is small (sub-50), but apparently alive. This game was a favorite of mine back in the day, and I'm considering hosting my own server, but only if there's interest from you fags.

WHERE DO I GET IT

Through the fatjew's pipeline, you filthy goyim. Just look up "empires mod" or click this I guess store.steampowered.com/app/17740/
I don't see shit about needing HL2, but I don't know.

HOW THE FUCK DO I PLAY THE GAME?
Ask somebody, look up a guide, or pull your head out of your fat ass.

Other urls found in this thread:

steamcharts.com/app/17740
forums.empiresmod.com/index.php?threads/promoting-empires.20226/
archive.is/vokOt
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Machines_(video_game)
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gratis_versus_libre
gnu.org/philosophy/free-sw.en.html
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Strife_(MOBA)
empiresmod.com/static-md/join.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Wow, just released an update in April? Figured it had died off long ago.

You don't need HL2, it's standalone I think.

Shit is fun as fuck. It's the only game I've ever played where it felt useful to be a sniper.
It honestly feels like you're trying to take a city/area and that makes it amazing.

Absolutely disgusting, I remember when there were close to a hundred servers with several fully populated. And there are dozens of Source Mods that are like this, including Resistance and Liberation, WW1, Battlegrounds, Eternal Silence, Exterminatus, Dystopia, D.I.P.R.I.P. and even Insurgency

I still don't understand how Nord vehicles rip themselves apart whenever they fire or move. Or by simply existing. Also I told them, I told them a million times to screw infantry and go all vehicles… and they never listened.

*don't rip themselves apart

downloadan

Oh wow, I logged close to 2000 hours on this game when I was a teenager

I bet they STILL haven't added air vehicles have they?

Fuck no
Honestly I hope they don't, unless it's a really late game thing

There's so many quality Source mods, and the fact that they're all dead burns my soul.
Especially Fortress Forever.

That's how I felt about being an engineer, there isn't a moment that passes you couldn't be doing something productive, especially if you have a fine commander. Game sort of spoiled me on traditional RTS.

why have I never heard of this before, it sounds like my dream game. is it ded?

bump

The air vehicles were always in the game, just that the maps and the Source Engine for that matter wasn't really good enough to support them.

will you shits be playing later today?
empires a good

I really need to mention this to anyone new to the game:
START AS AN ENGINEER
I mean that in both that you meed to be an engineer when the round starts so we can boost our economy and get tanks afap, but also in the sense that engie's the most versitile class:

He has a revive skill in his class-specific perks, and it makes you invaluable, you use it with your engie calculator. It does cost about half your consantly recharging power for that tool, so be aware.
His long range smg is better than you think it is.
His slot 4 build tool lets you build shit a lot faster. Other classes can help build by holding E on a freshly placed or damaged building, but engie is designed for it.
Also, he can build his own equipment independent of the commander, though in limited qualities. Just right click with the build tool out, then left click to finish setting it up.

Also scout has a cloaking perk and the ability to sabotage buildings by holding E. If you see shit like turrets freezing up and not reotating or shooting sparks, it's probably his fault

As I said, not quite. Apparently there is a mix of new and old blood that sits in a server or two. I only first checked it out last Monday and there were about 24, and that, so far has been the peak, though it was about the same last night. If more anons are interested, it's plausible we might need a new server

I gotta head out for a few days, but I got at least one or two new anons confirmed to probably continue.

Other night I got a sperg commanding, but he knew what to do. Got us rushing to victory. Last night there was a guy comming who had to deal with a lot of new players. You could tell he was a little exasperated, but he was patient and clearly trying to teach newcomers. I posted that bit about the engie to help ease new people in for the decent commanders.

I used to play it alot but i stopped playing when the population died down.
Does anyone still play on yuro?

Playing right now if anyone is interested

But does it have trains or maps with trains?

Best introduction to a game I've had in a long time.

This mod was my addiction like 10 years ago fuck I'm getting old, even helped test 1.08 which was renamed 2.0 when it launched, hell even one of my suggestion got into the game.
I might have a go at it again, just hoping the the new community aren't uptight assholes.

Not that I know of, but I haven't played the mod in forever. Though fun fact the map Streets Of Fire use to have a subway system during the 1.08 closed beta, but it was removed for optimization reasons if I remember correctly.

Also heard the got rid of the hotel overlooking the NF spawn & central park, if so that kinda sucks.

Where is the server hosting? hopefully in burgerstan

our defensive turrent is under attack
guard this unit

OP here, not able to play shit today
I'm sorry if any of you were under my command yesterday afternoon, I'm shit at communicating and explaining shit like that on the constant. Least my team won one game
Hope there's at least one good commander out there

Hi, just want to provide some corrections to OP and some posts in this thread.

In the last few years this game has always had at least 5 servers but usually only 1-2 of them actually have players.

This game has always had active players but only in the last few months has there being a dramatic increase in the number of active players. steamcharts.com/app/17740

There has never being 100 servers for this game in the last 10 years since it was released.

Oh and we usually get 40-50 people playing on weekends.

I put over 800 hours into this mode it's fantastic

OP here, glad to hear, since I'll be home by then
By no servers, I probably checked in at the wrong times over the last couple few years. I thought it was completely dead. Should have checked on weekends/more often.

Reinstallan, made me sad when it died

HOLY SHIT I GOTTA PLAY THIS

DOWNLOADAN NOW

H-how long will this last?

When the fuck did this happen?

i jumped in a bit, and it was fine, but it needed to add some more weapons, and balance them a bit better

The threads just became a circlejerk and everyone was talking about how they wanted to fuck Alpha. The quantity of OC also dropped. It's partially my fault because I unintentionally started the Jason Grant meme with that response to his post.

Devs said "fuck it" to making a good TF2 and decided to focus more on DM, their TTT gamemode, and porting more shit from regular TF2.

Shit, niggers, step up yoru game and get in here, let's try this shit

I'm downloading, nigger

im playing right now, it's fuckign great! we're in the only server that's alive

Looks rad af tbh fam
Going to download it as soon as I can

get on it, i'm already in an intense tank battle with sentries everywhere, great shit!

BUMP FOR GREAT JUSTICE

So I've been playing for an hour, and here's what i think

It's fun. It's really fucking fun. Graphics are great, nothing is wonky, it delivers a bunch of strategy combined with great action. It's…everythign you want it to be. Tank on tank combat is fun, and engineering makes you set up a bunch of turrets. It's great

TRY IT NOW, FAGGITS

This used to be my all time favourite game/mod. I can't believe it's making a comeback. I'll check it out.

BLIMPS

Yea nigga, tanks are great, which is why setting them and apcs up asap is the best way to start rounds.
Once you get to that stage1 or 2 grenadiers are a must, because they just rape the shit out of smaller vehicles and their mines help prevent drive bys and sealing off choke points.
A single scout is useful in late game because sapping everything inside the eynemy base is a great set up for the final push
Rifleman is just ok. Can win straight infantry combat matchups but has very little utility and is really only useful in a team for securing checkpoints against groundtroops
Also, expect more people to be on in the glorious burgerstani afternoon

it's coming back only if you want to, if we can get a bunch of anons playing, who then invite friends, yeah, we can make it live!

GET ON IT THEN BUDDY!

noted!

Is there a singleplayer so I can practise?

Not really. Tomorrow night I would be up for joining an empty server and teaching the basics, even if I'm not a good commander.

ill need to check, but you pick up on it pretty fast, so it's not a huge problem.

i can teach it to you in a bit, sure.

story time

It's the kind of tension that's the best kind, the unscripted, self made challenges. This game's fucking cool.

Anything happening today with this? Looks interesting.

I'm trying to, there's like, 10 players online, and the more the merrier. Tanks go crazy fast in this mod, and it's a shitton of fun. Try it, the download's not huge and it's free.

Mite b cool

Story from a while back

it's pretty cool. Check it out.

sounds fun, downloading. here is a quick install link as steam webpages are lagging for me atleast steam://install/17740

So anons, if we get enough people are we going to build a wall round the map?

nope, there's a limit to spawned things. As well as tanks, got to make the best of it

I used to command and user granted like 5 years ago, I know what the limits are, if I say we can build a wall we're building a damned wall!

get online and build the wall then.

FUCK MEXICO!

I will when I get home and download this shit and Make Empires Great Again!

also did i mention that the mod is still being developed, last update was halfway through may

40 players
Get in, fags

Usually you can build enough walls to actually enclose the enemy inside their own base in certain maps.

Bampu
Gonna be on in about 5 hours
Better see some of you fags shitting things up with your squeaker voices

Careful with FN as commander, tranny has a negative history with the game and being a huge dick.

FN, is that their full name?

Fuck yeah.

You sure? If it's mtf they aren't even trying to sound like a woman. I thought he was just a wimpy guy that was fond of blatting out orders

i know you guys are behind this

Bump, this game is really good

Let me know when a better CO is on.

call FN 'cosmo' and report findings

Woohoo! Thanks for posting this; the timing is great. We've been growing steadily (+50% per month) since releasing 2.7.0 and introducing a couple of new devs, so this publicity is exactly what we need right now.

I hope you will also join (or at least read) forums.empiresmod.com to see what's coming next, and to suggest stuff (and especially to report any bugs!)

What the fuck, are you actually a regular on h8 Holla Forums or did someone tip you off?
I'll consider joining, I might have some suggestions and shit to ask you folks.

even the blizzard shills aren't this obvious. kill yourself

The game's free, fam. I'm OP, and I made it mainly because I dumped a lot of hours into it yearw ago and I'd figured that it would be something most people here would be interested in.

A shill would imply two things; first, that we're a big fat corporation trying to make money off you, when in fact we're a group of volunteers giving our weekends and evenings to fix up this old but awesome game. Second, it would imply that I'm somehow trying to hide who I am. I'm proud to be an Empires developer, and make no secret of it.

Don't bother taking your rage out on me

8.5/10 will have to play more of

every fucking time

restrict the players if you're commander? I've never done it, but look into it. Think it's in the factory menu

if you restrict vehicles then nobody except you can build tanks, most people are just too lazy to build tanks as commanders

You can build tanks if you can cover the whole expense with wages, kinda hard to do that if you want a heavy though.

So we all know Northern Faction wins late game 99% of the time.

What's the best load out for a BE Heavy?

For what purpose.jpg, they're literally just not allowing people to contribute.

I've got the funniest feeling that those "completely non-commercial" and "isn't any on-disk DLC" points of yours might be going out the window soon. You know how it is with the modern videogame industry.

But if cash shop micro-transactions, LoL/CS:GO/TF2-like campaigns and other such idiot hooks would keep the game popular, I have to wonder if I'd really object that much at all…

It has github but its private iirc

This game sounds great. Like Natural Selection but with fucking tanks. Will try out.

That's pretty sweet. Best of luck with your shit.

Sounds good, will try.

holy shit fuck you grenadier on opposing team

In b4 you invite Mr Die to this place as well.

gg

Which Grenadier?

oi devs, do us a favor and tell the idiot op in this thread to stop breathing

The one that snuck into our vf and anally raped it. That grenadier.

eat me faggot

oh what the fuck is that shit

clearly some autistic idiot from their in house forum trying his best to shill

Trump, stop trying to shill against this game.
We all know its you, so stop pretending.

This is all I ever wanted. If only it weren't Steam exclusive

It's baller's, not trump
and I'm not the hilariously autistic faggot trying to shill? this game
I have no idea if he's trying to make everyone hate it or if he's actually a shill

Haha, yes! This certainly seems like a very nice game. I will certainly be interested in playing this good game. Let's do it, Holla Forumsros! FTW!

Is this targeted? You speak in the same thin facade of newfaggotry the other OP had. I can't tell if you're legitimately pretending to be a shill.

I made the shot from all the way in the north, not from inside the VF.

how the fuck did you hit it, it was inside the vf with walls and mines all around
fuck you

Haven't seen that in a while

Haha yeah I'm kind of an oldfag, it's been a while since we called one another Holla Forumsros ITT. But seriously this game is hardcore, Dark Souls ain't got shit on this! Check it out man!

oh jeeze are you actually forums.empiresmod.com/index.php?threads/promoting-empires.20226/
archive.is/vokOt
Fuck off. Look, I'm happy that the game is populated, but you don't belong here. I'll try to not bring my culture in like a tumor if you fuck off.

suggest some fun shootan games for me to host instead of playing this source garbage u bunch of desperate niggers

I had line of sight to it originally but it disappeared while the rocket was midflight. DocRabbit was dead nearby and saw Sundiver drive it further in the VF. He relayed that to me just in time for me to guide the rocket ever so gently to the right at precisely the right moment so that it would enter the VF and hit the NFCV.

Sounds ridiculous but it actually happened.

Anybody still playing at this hour or is it mostly pubs? Also hows the connection cross Atlantic?

Haha yep we're all niggaz together here; but the game is actually in the good tho seriously man! Half Life 2 uses Source and that was my fourth favorite game evar (which kinda sux because Half Life 3 is still not confirmed rofl). But really its a nice good great game and I play it a lot, you should share this threadout about a game so more can play together with it lol

also looks like we're having dubs tonight! congrats

Jesus Christ I can't tell who's trolling who anymore.

user, hold me, I just wanted to play games.

Download Combat Mission : Beyond Overlord and be happy for years.

This is what the English language was made for, it's all come down to this

you better cease that bullshit

Let me reiterate, I wanted to play a RTS/FPS hybrid since I sure as fuck ain't paying 30 bucks for Savage Resurrection till I know its actually good / out of EA.

It was made to confuse the fuck out of autists?

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Machines_(video_game)

I don't trust you user, not one bit.

haha indeed I Just Want To Play This Cool Game And ones Like It As Well…but i doubt there will by any that reach the complexeties of that awsome Empires Mod. Not too mention it's as free as free can…"bee"! lmbo sorry I couldn't resist making that rhyme

And here I thought I saw the peaks of autism in ERP and PbP forums.

Oh, no, it's just another fucking microtransaction item shop game. Shouldn't have googled it.

Anyone still playing

supreme shitposting

I honestly feel sorry for them…

fuck off faggot, no one has a problem if a dev actually wants to talk about his game.

Judging by their forums they knew what they were getting into, they just allowed the retarded monkeys to open their mouth.

HAHAHAH TIME FOR WALLS WALLS WALLS!

the problem with this game is tech rushing with tanks is OP

classic

look into old natural selection

It hurts

Do you know of any other games like it that are just as free as can bee?

Please don't do this. Don't fucking do this.
but do answer your question, I think OG savage is also free? dunno, I was meaning to check it out myself

haha XD dude sure but there arent any as great as Empires Mod! srsly tht game iz just da best!

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gratis_versus_libre

gnu.org/philosophy/free-sw.en.html

Welcome to what most people have been thinking for like past 7 years. This shit just wont die no matter how badly tries to fuck it up.

Don't do what, friend?

Also player dumb dump

Oh, Christ, I just looked the developer up, and guess what they've also been developing.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Strife_(MOBA)
vomitgirl.jpg

empiresmod.com/static-md/join.html

Do you even internet? Literally found that in 20 seconds from their site. Or are you using a definition of literally I don't know about?

Yeah, it's the kind that goes beyond yours - the kind where contributions can simply be made to the project on the spot, among a number of other distinctions. Do I need to direct you to the links in as well?

any other source mods to mention whilst we're here?

also neotokyo, sourceforts, the silent hill one

See

Eternal silence > Empires.

This, Eternal Silence is basically Angels Fall First But Free

Dystopia is better.

Zombie Master, Empires, and Age of Chivalry were the only actually interesting ones that had players.

Smashball and Dystopia get honorable mentions but have always been dead.

A few still have populated servers but shame that the standalone mods on steam thing kind of died out.

ahaha why my peanus weenus of course :^)

to bad there's nobody on it, NT source at least has one populated server per day.

it's crazy how dead valve mods are now, almost seems planned. my guess is the workshop was the first step in this.

It's more to do with Dota and TF2 sucking up all the players who dont want to spend their shekels on a game

bump

I downloaded it, when are the servers most active?

at weekends apparently

steamcharts.com/app/17740

evenings/nights UK time, afternoons/evenings US time, otherwise theres little to no players

What is this witchcraft?

never played any of these? come on, savage was quite popular

bump

if you can't fucking pick up on a sarcastic post like this you're never going to get that hotpocket position you're angling for, son

Maybe you should have followed the link, autist.
archive.is/vokOt

Well damn I know I've played this before. I have 90 minutes logged on Steam. Didn't know it was still active. My Internet access is limited but I'll be sure to check it out and see if I can wrap my head around it better this time around.

they are just happy that their game got repopulated

Anyways, nice game, only flaw is that there are not reliable infantry anti-tank weapons

learn to read, nigger
The implication is that he's pretending to be retarded. Do you know what a facade is? I felt unsure that he was doing it to make people laugh or if he was doing it to make people hate the game, as other people have guessed.

Anyway, I'm up for a game tomorrow afternoon.
Anyone else up for a few rounds about that time?

Grenadier's loadout works fine before you reach late game
Gotta set those mines

Not thanks

bump

It's good to see that you put more work in this game since I last left, but it still has that issue where the vets all want to play amongst themselves. When I was on everyone dogpiled onto the same teamNF and matches ended up one-sided. I figured the NUBS server would have the forced auto-assign that was on VIPER forever back. At least it wasn't stuck in the escort > district > money loop that used to happen with map votes.

Horey shit this mod was updated!? What the fuck is going on, am I alive? This was part of the cool kid package of half life 2 mods during the golden ages.

If you guys are actually intent on rebuilding the population then I gotta get back into this, good fucking luck marketing it even if it is free though

Armor has creeped like a motherfucker for several versions now. After you get actual armor grens become useless.

i got the experience that when the oponent uses medium tanks, all class but the engineers are useless

I remember playing this.

It sucked.

Honestly the game changes alot with versions. It can be great but sometimes one change can turn it into shit. Right now its somewhat decent but only if you dont care about infantry side combat. Fuck whoever added visual recoil to every gun and fuck bullet pushback.

do the older versions perform better? the game is basically unplayable for me on this orange box trash

very thankful some games don't get updated now

In every classic mode map, anything but engineer is futile.

Scouts can engage in extreme distance, but cant do anything vs vehicles, and their sniper rifle has a tracer so after the first shot, you might as well commit suicide.

Rifleman are tough and basically serve as a better sentry turret with their MG's, but can't deal with vehicles and turrets.

Grenadiers do well against turrets but once you get medium tanks anything but mines are pretty useless against vehicles and they suck against infantry.

But those engineers have every trick in the book. They can heal, resupply, have the option to revive, repair and build faster than every other class, build vehicle and/or infantry detection buildings, build anti infantry/anti vehicle defense turrets, build walls and their primary weapons are good against infantry and either long and/or short range.

The only place that the engineer class can't go is destroying turrets and even then, they can carry more grenades than any other class and can pop a wall down in front of them and use a resupply crate to wipe out turrets in complete safety since turrets don't target walls or things behind walls.

On the non-classic maps, where you can't build anything but engineer buildings and are generally infantry only, scout still sucks, engineer is a god support, grenadier is only there for mines and destroying turrets, and rifleman becomes an iron cross holder. But wait, don't forget about the 5 grenades engineers have, good luck getting through any choke point while defenders nade spam the shit out of them!

engineers grenades only hurts buldings

Its a bit more complicated than that. Engineer is the most important class, yes the others only begin to shine when they have support of engineers. Make no mistake, this is a team oriented game. Playing with people who know what they are doing is a much different experience.
That being said, indeed after you hit medium tanks other classes loose alot of oomph because os the stupid vehicle power creep we've had lately.

yeah, was gonna say that
engie is by far the best class, but the other 3 have their moments, it's just that you don't always need them. rifleman is good for a squad securing points in no man's land, grenadier's mines are still useful, his artillery can do some decent indirect damage, and the rocket launcher's homing feature lets it help against tanks if not outright destroy them. Scout's sapping is really only useful against noobs.