Animators with talent are relegated to the internet

Animators with talent are relegated to the internet

Animators with no talent get hired by professional studios.

Other urls found in this thread:

hooktube.com/watch?v=23_iUINP1Zk
hooktube.com/watch?v=imcc4tFKOS0).
imgur.com/a/PiJLk
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Nice shill thread.

Animation is very much a "Who you know" to actually get a job. You basically spend most of your time building up a portfolio and then hoping you get seen by someone within the industry, or get internet famous like Felix Colgrave did with Double King. After that, that's basically your resume.

What the fuck is he shilling, faggot?

The video I guess. Seems fun enough.

Since when did "sharing something from the internet" become "shilling"?

It's the Harry Partridge syndrome

I dunno I guess it means that over here at least?

Reminds me of the bronies. They make damn good fan animation but its all focused on mlp.

Heck, if you want to go down that road, I've seen furries that create absolutely stunning portraits, and I don't just mean 3/4ers half busts, like, literally Da Vinci tier paintings with photorealistic details and classical style compositions. But they're wasted on forgettable if not downright disgusting softcore.

Has he done anything recently? I know it takes a while for him to animate I'm just curious.

An epic rap battle for Destiny 2. He's a huge corporate whore but at least it doesn't get in the way of his style, so he can be un-pc.

Good, I'd say. Cable is for shit anyhow.

High quality animation for a short of 5-8 minutes with little to no budget cannot be scaled up for multiple seasons of 11-21 minute episodes on an ad or subscription based business model. If a show's budget exceeds the revenue generated by ads and merchandise, you have to cancel it, or run at a loss. Because of these incentives, networks aren't willing to hire talented animators, because their projects cost them more without turning enough profit to break even. Which leaves them with fresh out-of-college types with cheap projects that are almost always slice-of-life with no attempt at unique visuals or dynamic movement. Although, these projects may not be great, they're average enough for general audiences to tune into them once in a while. And so, you get less Felix Colgraves and more CalArts Graduates getting picked up by networks.

That's a result of animation being an uncompetitive industry. Unlike vidya, where any developer can crowdfund, develop and distribute their games without any meaningful intermediaries and gatekeepers, studios have to deal with networks for every step of the way, from when their shows can be watched, to how high their budgets can be. And as mentioned before, great shows tend to be cancelled. Networks play the role of the publisher rather than the platform. It's like if all games were monopolized by EA, Ubisoft, and Activision and had their own websites where you could buy subscriptions to play their games. If we could get the networks out of the way and make the industry global, decnetralized and competitive, I guareentee you, getting a job in animation would be less of a matter of "who you know" and more of "what your work is," as demonstrated by vidya.

Fucking illiterate faggot. He didn't even write much.

tl;dr

it's a good thing that tv is dying then

Nah, vidya is in a fairly similar situation. If you're going indie, your game is pretty much DoA unless you get either lots of publicity (which doesn't necessarily guarantee success, but helps odds significantly) or get stupidly lucky (although having a game that's actually good helps odds somewhat). And in order to get publicity, you're basically required to suck off the right people, whether metaphorically or literally. There was a reason so many devs ended up supporting Gamergate anonymously, whether they came from big companies or were small-time devs. The market is definitely very open in theory, but the reality is slightly more complicated.

The thing is achieving that level of quality takes some serious motivation and there is no better motivation than a fetish.

Animation is now entirely outsourced anyway

Now edit it so Ruckus is saying REEEE, NIGGA, REEEE.

The original clips were already fine, it's mlp all over again.

I bet you are the one who support stupid weeb artists.

Most of them are talented, the executive suits are the problem and the reason for degrading everything.

So an artist has to monetise youtube videos to survive these days?

it already sounds like he's saying 'reee', what you'd need to do is shop pepe onto the pages of the book

Get fucked.

Making money off of Youtube is hard because its algorithms puts posting frequency and video length over quality and clicks, which puts animation at a disadvantage compared to simple video logs, reviews, wannabe comedy skits and Let's Plays.

The Algorithm takes into account both frequency and length, but it also takes into consideration of percentage of the video watched. Let's Plays dominate the market because they're sequential, encourage long watch-times, and can be made incredibly easily. In order to compete you'd have to produce lengthy episodic animations on a weekly basis.

Now it's worse considering they need 1000 subs to start gaining youtube money.

Never forget that the longest work of fiction in the English language is a Super Smash Brothers fan fiction. Autism truly is a superpower.

Actually, it's "The Story of the Vivian Girls, in What Is Known as the Realms of the Unreal, of the Glandeco-Angelinian War Storm, Caused by the Child Slave Rebellion", by Henry Darger.

I want to add that there is also a difference in level of art consumption and education within publishers. You might end up with a publisher with shit taste that works on "good enough" basis. Game publishers not knowing how to describe their own games is a good example. There is also a subjective value to everything, especially in book publishing.

Wait wait wait, did you all most the great Youtube baawing recently, where people lost their monetizing because they had 4000 subs or less?

miss, not most

56%

Because of the expensive costs of hiring talented animators, they hire cheap ones who do less ambituous projects.

I think that those studios gimp their animators though.

Animes are better the shorter they are. I have found animes over 50 episodes long are usually pretty shit, and a lot of masterpieces are 12-13 or 25 episodes long. Half season animes are usually the best, because they know who they "are"; they know they are going to be half a season long, and plan for that season. Many of the 25 episodes long animes are pretty shit because they were designed with taking more seasons in mind, but didn't make the cut, but half season animes are usually pretty consistent in their high quality.

Ironically, this also applies to western animation. Over The Garden Wall is really short, but also one of the best pieces we got in years. Why, you may ask? Because they knew they were going to be short and planned everything from the start.

The moral of the story is, fuck off eith long running shows, just give me shorter and sweeter stuff.

exceptions: Cardcaptor Sakura, Golgo 13, LOGH
pretty much anything that isn't juvenile shonenshit or for literal babies

user, your shiftkey is broken.

Hey there leftypol.

quiet, autismo

I was looking online for drawing videos of several former or currently cartoon network animators with the thin-line cal art tumblr style including steven universe creator.

Geez, every one of them have in common they don't draw with GUIDELINES. GUIDESLINES is a fundamental principal that every artist should know or else the drawing looks flat. This explains why their animation looks unimpressed they are flat and two-dimensional with no depths.

Here a video of a cartoon network animator, skip until 0:45. Professional my ass!

My optimism's telling me that since the guy's just drawing for a quick video, he's not using any guidelines. On the other hand, you can't tell the difference between the two drawings other than the left being more jittery, but that could be blamed on unfamiliarity with the tablet. Other than that they're practically identical.

Holy shit, those look like feet I would draw.

funnier still, it looks like he's even drawing with a stabilizer.

Big ass tablet PCs like that don't have that level of delay. He's definitely using a fucking stabilizer.

You want something to see with a pencil on paper. See J.Quintel webm the creator of regular show.
And something Extra Craig Mccracken drawing Wander at least he use guidelines with a marker.

And you're typing with a broken shiftkey. You might want to fix that.

fuck you

I didn't need to see pencil on paper since I meant to say that if the girl on the left was accustomed to that tablet in the video, they'd be perfect copies of one another. It does make things look worse on CN if Craig can draw better with a marker while the people who worked on Regular Show and now Regular Show: AS Edition have to do edits and corrections. I think it's also telling that in both cases, they draw the faces first. Not even the heads, Craig at least drew the head and body first, but Quintel and the other guy draw only the faces first. I'm no artist, but even I know you have to do shapes before symbols, no matter what it is you're drawing. The only reason why you saw neither fuck up(For their standards) is because they were working slower than Craig, and if you have enough experience drawing the same thing, you simply won't make new mistakes as often.

user, your shiftkey is broken.

I tried so hard to use guidelines to draw and they always ended looking silly and dirty. Also, drawing hands and feets are incredibly hard. I also have troubles drawing noses when I want to make 'cute' faces.

Honesty, it is excusable since they are just churning out quick sketches for the interviews. Many artists do that for quick convention sketches too. However, what's really telling is how close amateur can get to the professional in the 1st video. It really show how overtly simplified and watered down the art style is.
To be able to tell for sure is to see CN artists doing serious work. I wasn't able to

You might want to try using H pencils. They leave lighter lines, smudge less, and are easier to erase, unless you are going to press them hard enough to leave grooves in paper. If you scan your work, try using non-photo blue pencils for guidelines and regular ones or ink for final lines. It cuts down on the cleanup of scanned sketches.
Other two things to try are drawing lighter and trying out other erasers.

>noses on cute faces
Just make them less prominent than you normally would

Crap, didn't finish my post. Continuation to the 1st half:
To be able to tell for sure is to see CN artists doing serious work. I wasn't able to find much. The best video was this one of Rebecca Sugar spending 1 hour to draw a group of characters from Steven Universe. Sugar does not use guidelines at all and seems to be using stabilizer as well.
hooktube.com/watch?v=23_iUINP1Zk

Compare that to videos of Ikegami, or Rosinski (in hooktube.com/watch?v=imcc4tFKOS0). Their pages comic pages are covered with guidelines before drawing is finalized. Same goes for other mangakas and European artists I have seen videos of. Based on them, every good artist relies on some form of guidelines.

I hope that videos will be show up properly this time

True, but its possible to succeed as an vidya indie as opposed to the animation industry where it frankly isn't. It's the difference between having a broken leg and an amputated leg. One has a chance of getting on their feet, the other has to rely on others to get even close to that.

No wonder new episodes take forever to get made.

Get out.

Got any more videos user?

No need to get ritzy.

…you, do realize the actual "animation" bits aren't even done in America in-studio but are typically outsourced to South Korea right? All "artists" do in American studios is basically draw up rough storyboards and a couple of detailed drawings that are used as models for the actual animators overseas

Sure. Here's one more of Rebeca Sugar drawing Steven and Garnet, while rambling about creative process during an "interview." She also sings and plays her famous ukelele at the very end.
Webms are from Urasawa Naoki no Manben or just simply Manben. It's a NHK show about mangakas showing their working spaces, work process, and chatting about making manga. If you want more euro artists drawing, you just have to search for each individually and hope that something worthwhile pops up.

Crap, I forgot to add that only some episodes of Manben have been translated to English. You can find them on youtube and dailymotion.

it's true. over 80% of people in the US don't even know who their own Reps. are and half of those don't even know theirs own Governors. and that's before we even get to the constitution or knowing how to read it.

Care to prove that, or are you here specifically to stir shit up?

Ignore and report his ass, for chronic political shitposting.

why the fuck is so many videos, have that generic "happy ukulele and xylophone " shit? I swear its over used so much, like straight out of a children's tv show

Directors and storyboarders still can do the final touches. Why they don't do it, lazy?

Here is adventure style guide by Pendelton ward, how to draw Finn.

user your shiftkey is broken.

Got anymore?

Maybe it's copyright free? I guess that's why they use it?

Surprised that even that noodly arm artstyle has standards.

Here's like 50 for KotH:
imgur.com/a/PiJLk

>Here's like 50 for KotH: imgur.com/a/PiJLk
Bob Burger's creator should learn a lot from him.

KIMBA vs SIMBA

Go shill somewhere else nigger.

Wasn't that guy a massive pedo?

There's no evidence to support that. He was certainly obsessed with children, but probably never talked to one in his life.

The original touhou

Talent doesn't exist

You have to go back amigo.

And?

putting down alot of guidelines takes extra time, which if the show's being put out so fast they try to save as much time as they can
Interesting through how many guidelines went into each drawn disney movie and how their animation's still held up, if only modern cartoon animators would put in similar effort to make sure their animation wasn't bland