Where to start with DOOM? Also DOOM thread

So I've never played doom before (I'm younger than it) and I was wondering which version to start with?

DOSbox the original file? Or is it worth getting ahold of a remastered version that can run on windows 7?

I'm riled up to rip and tear.

Other urls found in this thread:

transfer.sh/ckMcm/iwads.7z
zandronum.com/
volafile.io/get/UR9sP0OTw67_/moon_man_v1_3_1.pk3
chocolate-doom.org/wiki/index.php/Crispy_Doom
dengine.net
chocolate-doom.org/wiki/index.php/Chocolate_Doom
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Just get Zandronum and the WADs for the games and play them.

Hi newfriend :)

Cheers guys.

I'm actually not new, just haven't played doom before. Not a huge fps person, plus I don't really browse Holla Forums, so I'm not filled in on all the Holla Forums core classics.

well there's a lot of doom engines that you can run the wads in, too many to really name on too many platforms. the original dos release had no mouselook you moved with arrow keys and fired with ctrl, which isnt so bad but if you want mouselook there's more complex engines out there that even let you look vertically and shit. its preference really but the game's still the game, so just pick an engine and roll with it.

Here's everything you'll need

transfer.sh/ckMcm/iwads.7z

zandronum.com/

and a locally produced wad volafile.io/get/UR9sP0OTw67_/moon_man_v1_3_1.pk3

imo Crispy Doom is the best way to play vanilla WADs:

chocolate-doom.org/wiki/index.php/Crispy_Doom

Zdoom is a good source port. And grab memento mori 1 and 2 when you finish doom 1, 2, and final doom.

Your post is counter-intuitive.

Get Doom 1 first, you can get Doom 2 if you liked the first one (and who doesn't like the first one?).

You can play the games just fine in DOSBox, but getting a modern source port is better. Most source ports allow optionally for vertical aiming and jumping. I would not use jumping because it breaks the level design, but I like vertical aiming. Without vertical aiming I feel like I have a stiff neck. The original game did not allow you to aim vertically, instead as long as your shot aligned horizontally you would hit. To balance out for the extra dimension of control I turn off this vertical auto-aiming.

As far as source ports go there are many, but I use Doomsday Engine exclusively. There is no particular reason, I just like its very polished interface and that they host proper builds and have an auto-updater in the engine. You can turn off all the modern fancy graphics effects, which I recommend you do. Doom's graphics design was not intended to feature halos and lens flare and stuff.
dengine.net
Another port worth mentioning is Chocolate Doom, it tries to stay as faithful to the original as possible:
chocolate-doom.org/wiki/index.php/Chocolate_Doom

That's really all you need to have fun. Don't overthink the topic with custom WADs and shit, just get the original and enjoy yourself. You can still catch up on extra content later.

Thanks lads, I just got through the first episode and I'm loving this shit. Gonna get round to the shores of hell after I do some cleaning

Just you wait user, your current games backlog won't be nothing compared to WAD backlog once you start browsing idgames database. You will end up with gigs upon gigs worth of new maps, episodes, gameplay changers, mutators and silly jokes that you will want to play and you won't be able to decide which ones you want to play today. And that's before you get into multiplayer.

I still have about 150 WADs I want to play but it keeps piling up because I just can't help but replay some of the ones I already played
And that's only if I take break from playing on one of my favourite servers
Send help

This is why I haven't played Doom for over 2 years.

Option paralysis is a bitch.

What does Holla Forums think of HDoom

It's shit. There are no monsters anymore. The sprite and animation work is good, though.

It's pretty good.

Just like those digits.

Eh, I wish they weren't anime chicks.

Is there anyway to play it on Android? I'm on vacation and not at my PC, so I'm looking for my RIP AND TEAR fix.

l o l

I would absolutely wife a baroness of hell

First time Doom 2 player. Why is Doom 2 level design so much worse than in the first game?

Are official expansion wads worth it? Master levels, Plutonia Experiment, TNT?

Because there's less direction in Doom 2. Doom 1 had more of a story, Doom 2 is basically go and fuck shit up for 32 levels.

That's why Doom 2 levels are more whacky "Tricks and Traps" that silly acid level, the town, the medieval themed castle, etc.

doom 2 had a newcomer working on some of its levels
and some levels like Downtown were probably unfinished (which is why despite having shit practically telling you where to go you sometimes feel lost)

Really now?

I agree and checking these dubs of yours.

I chose ZDoom because it allows me to play original Doom with a modern keyboard + mouse control layout.

pic-related is first real 3D game, though

Doom is playable on the Sandisk Sansa Clip+, a great music player.

Should be available for smartphones too. I don't see why not.

You can even play it on a printer.

Liar.

Smooth Doom or bust.

Oh, I'll bust alright.

there's already a doom thread up, check the catalogue