Lego Racers Thread

Does anybody else remember this game? I've probably shoved 300 hours of playtime into this as a kid.

All I remember is that the level 2 boost was objectively superior to the level 3 boost.

Loved it. Especially building your own cars. It really was too easy though, even for a 10 year old. Just spam the fully boosted green brick.

2 was better

>tfw no Lego Racers 3 or 4 if you count that unrelated title

Why has nobody made a prototype of what a modern Lego Racers would be like?

I don't think I'm alone in completing all races just by just using level 3 boosts. It's just too powerful. The only reason the last race was any difficult was because Rocket Racer did the exact same thing.

Oh shit if I remember this game… I've never managed to beat that fucking vampire guy when I was a kid, the rubber-banding of the enemies was the worst fucking thing, but everything else was really fun though.

I thought Little Big Planet Karting was going to be that, but then everyone stopped caring about it 12 minutes after it came out. I don't think you could even build the cars in that, just switch out wheels and chassis.

But that's wrong mate

It's not the same thing, the fun part about Lego Racers was working within the limitations to create bullshit characters
I wish they'd have some way to balance out your stats though

I believe there was a system in place that worked pretty much like:
More blocks on the car = less acceleration, more top speed and vice versa

There was a surprisingly large amount of work put into a licensed game based off of kids' toys. There's no way for something like this to happen nowadays, by the way. It'll be just Lego Dimensions. It'd make a lot of money, but there won't be much soul in it.

what a douche

The music wasn't "not bad".

IT WAS FUCKING RAD.

2 was better.

My 11 year old self almost exploded.

Please user, stop, my dick can only get *this* erected.

we need to make an updated lego racers game made with all of the legendary lego sets (like Lego City, Bionicle, Lego Star Wars, the japanese mech one, exopods, duplo, maybe even minecraft).

Add online play

have active hack/cheat detection

Track building and editing (also able to build structures for your tracks, and hidden shortcuts and shit)

have a level system, but keeping the car balance so its fair

unlock certain bricks and customizable minifigures/special figures (like bionicles, exopods, and duplo) unlockable through singleplayer mode, none of that money system bullshit like games do nowadays.

voice and text chat available but can be turned off

make customization so detailed to the point where it would be incredibly unlikely to see the same custom car or character ever.

make online game lobbies and loading screens be rooms where you walk around in your character and see other players in the same lobby

add some sort of friends list functionality

make the graphics look like real legos, shimmers and scratches and plastic mold lines and shit.

allow for performance customization, tires and engines and spoilers able to be different for different tracks and driving styles

add new powerups that are themed to some of the new sets that have been added

add helmet painting

did i miss anything?

By "we", you mean "someone else", right?

How would you implement a level system? Would it be a method of unlocking new pieces for your car? That sounds like it'll lead to tedious grinding. Also, why would you add Bionicle pieces? I have a huge nostalgia boner for Bionicles, but they're not a system that meshes at all well with regular Lego.

just resize them

and the level system just be a way for kiddos to brag about how good they are

Anybody remember this game? good times.

It's the developer's fault if it's so easy to cheat the game, mate

Ah alright

jesus

Damn son

Racers is great. I tried booting up Racers 2 a while ago and was pretty disappointed that it did not live up to my nostalgia. Your car handles like shit, you can't remodel your car except for at the beginning of each area, you have to grind out lame minigames to up your car's stats, there's a big, open, empty world with nothing in it where you have to find stuff, the tracks are all in the big, open, empty worlds and it can be easy to lose where the track is sometimes… Lots of problems. It was trying to be Diddy Kong Racing but it was being really lazy about it.
I remember some of the later areas being cool, especially the last one, but I couldn't stand to play past the jungle one.

Best LEGO game ever, right there. I played through it again a couple years ago and had a great time. That fucking music, man.
Fun fact: it has a batshit insane modding community. They have HD models and a level editor, among other things.

This may just be nostalgia talking, but I remember that game being almost as good Crash Team Racing.

Wait, this guy?

I remember being too casual to beat the fucking thing.

The difference between being able to beat it and fucking sucking is just realizing how OP the warp is. Just don't bother getting any other powerups and I guarantee it's a cakewalk, no matter how young you are.
After reading this thread, I'm really tempted to load it up again and try beating it without green bricks.

Yeah, I think I was just too shit at games to figure that out. I usually managed to get past the vampire faggot but I could never get past the last guy. I didn't own a memory card for my N64 either so I had to start over each time.

They did and called it Banjo Kazooie: Nuts and Bolts.

LBP Karting is a worse version of Modnation Racers which is actually pretty top tier.

I always wondered what the physics of Lego Racers was. I knew there was something at work (I remembered it saying that it simulates aerodynamics on the back of the box, but might have misremembered). Would make sense it would do the Mario Kart thing.

2 isn't better for only one reason. You can't go fucking apeshit in making cars and you only get to make one for each area. Such bullshit that I looked around to see if I could fuck with an INI file or something to up the limit.

But Lego Racers 2 is impressive in the fact that's probably the first full 3D open world game It beat GTA III to market by a month

I always though for a new one they could use a modified version of the LLD Have chassis bases, take out the pointless bricks and add stickers back in. Expanding on that just have a license system like Sonic and Sega All-stars Transformed for dick waving, maybe have three or four classes of increasing performance, and the track editor from Lego Stunt Rally. Have a good single player experience with plenty of tracks and opponents. Both online and couch multiplayer and there we are. And a sik ass soundtrack.

To this day I rock from my toes to my heels like the characters do in the menus.

And that god damn menu song. So fucking catchy.

I also had rock raiders and logo island too… They all ended up in the trash

But does Racers 1 have a mecha race?

I used to just skateboard around the different hub worlds. It was pretty cathartic even though the levels were pretty small.

Xtreme Stunts had objectively better skateboarding and the island was bigger and more fun to explore. Unfortunately, there's no moon to hoverboard on.
I own that keychain and found it in a box while cleaning stuff out today. I almost want to use it.
1>3>2