Why is good gameplay a thing of the past?

Why is good gameplay a thing of the past?

Did shekels and the jews corrupt the video game industry? Is it the water?

because people will buy shit with bad gameplay, so there's no incentive for devs to spend extra time making sure the gameplay is good

because new [target audience] is idiots and simple gameplay sells better than good gameplay.

You are not the target audience and you never will be again. It is time to accept that.

Capitalism

marketability and accessibility over quality
publishers control and abuse studios telling them how to make their game

There's nothing to stop someone from making a game with [GAMEPLAY] and winning money.

>>>/test/

Because casuals want quantity over quality. They're the same reason why stupid useless shit like square kilometers and hours in a campaign are the primary selling points on the back of the box. They just want shit. They don't even want it to be good shit. They just want as much as possible to shovel into their stupid mouths

Because everyone on Holla Forums is an elitist teenager who only considers games with the biggest marketing to be a representation of "the game industry".

Bloated marketing budgets
Convention and Expo circuit forcing them to work on demo builds instead of working on the game as a complete product

Foolish investors who insist on moronic additions, like multiplayer modes and last second changes to the entire story or even the genre of game.

Contracts with FUCKING GAMESTOP and other retailers forcing unrealistic development times, DLC, add-ons, moronic special additions.
Quick aside, but most Kickstarter scams projects, accidentally end up burning a ton of money on shit like shipping t-shirts, posters, and other worthless knick-knacks. I can't imagine that the big publishers fare any better.

If TF2 were just another quasi-realistic pseudo-military shooter, i wouldn't of given half a hot fuck about it. I'm not confident in defending anything they added to TF2 after launch, but making it as they did was an improvement over Counter-Strike X-2.

What does owning private property have to do with bad video games?

publishers are against making good games
but they have the money and they don't want to give studios the means of making vidya

if the making of vidya was handed to the studios artists instead of the publishers
then the gaming industry will be great again

Natural Selection had that Commander>Squad vibe for marines and it was a good game.

I'd take an old TF2 over the ASSFAGGOTS/CS:GOy milking valve's doing.

Oh I'm laffin

Making a game whose main focus is the gameplay is a really risky investment, because your gameplay could end up being shit or too hard for casuals to get into. However, making your game more like a movie, focusing on graphics, and pretending to have a deep story (when in reality it is casual hollywood schlock) is an almost guaranteed way to get casual gamers to play it.

"Good gameplay" is a cis scum social construct that excludes gaming's biggest audiences

It's because people want to appeal to a large audience. And most of the large audience wants CoD MW2-tier shit because they seriously can't play anything else, in fact people hate the new CoDs because it's too "fast" for them and they have to look up for shit besides shooting a plane down

Quality is a social construct. Who are you to dictate what is or isn't "good gameplay", xir?

This is getting out of hand

Nice job there, [non-denominational (unless it relates to shitlords) insult]

they are just like sjws
they think about culture before economy

the ideology is strong with them they will be capitalcucks and so on and so on

i mean oh my got
they can't even see how money not ideas are the primary thing that the publishers control

>>>Holla Forums
>>>/suicide/

Huh, I never thought of it that way

It's the lack of competition these days. Devs are playing it too safe and as soon as someone takes any risk, it ends up flopping.

I'm honestly tired of hating all day though. If I ever have a not toaster, I'll play trash. I just don't care anymore.

Your ideology is a failure and your meme philosopher is sloppy inconsistent joke who is incapable of providing any alternatives to the systems he haphazardly critiques.

Once the industry grew popular enough to make serious money corporations took over from individuals or small groups of people making games for enjoyment. Gameplay stayed as part of the sales model for the next decade until it no longer mattered in comparison to marketing.

It's the same as any other industry; the profit motive kills off genuine quality. It's not jews or any other group, it's an economic system designed to make money first and foremost.

Shiggy

Games are still fun OP, you just grew up

There was just as much corprate shit back in the day.

You're just better at detecting it

I remember there was that theory with older games that your graphics would hit a bottleneck of how good they could look, so then designers would just focus on the gameplay, making it really good and deep.

Now with better technology, more focus is put into making the graphics look good and the the gameplay gets less focus.

And now a generation seems to have been slowly brainwashed to think "if it looks really good, then the game must be good!"

Brotherhood of Arms looked like it was going to be shit too.

Team Fortress 2 is the only good team fortress game, let go.

The problem is that gaming became huge. To keep up with the competition, games are made to be bigger, more "innovative" and "revolutionary". This leads to bloated development costs and massive development teams. These astronomical costs of development make the prospect of experimentation too risky, leading to mediocre games that play it safe with market trends instead of innovating. Ultimately, this leads to a situation where good gameplay and fun become secondary to potential profits. Modern games are a product made by developers completely alienated from their creation for money hungry investors to sell to naive casuals who only really care whether or not their games have basic functionality.

Want to make video games great again? Remove the profit motive.

pic unrelated

nah, because the golden age had graphics and gameplay both taking huge bounds.
the money got too big and sheckleberg stepped in to call the shots like what's about to happen with anime.

Well, goyim water is pozzed with neurotoxic fluoride, but the specific problems affecting gaming are from other scourges of the Jew menace.

Completely wrong. Games are made to be predictable and safe, guaranteeing sales so that their massive investments in marketing, VAs, and rushed deadlines aren't flopped.

Not exactly.

Games are funded by the publishers. The publishers want the largest potential audience. The largest potential audience is not skilled at games; the games therefore must not require skill.

(Additionally, content is expensive. Making content, and gating it with a challenge, potentially hides it from non-skilled players. Publishers see this as wasted content.)

The consumers don't play games before they buy them. They watch trailers on TV and on YouTube. The game therefore sells based on how it looks, not how it plays.

May as well use shit as play-doh for entertainment with taste such as yours.

the graphics 'team' doesn't hold back the designers, that's the silliest idea ever

what's actually happened is every idea has already been executed in some form, the only things we'll see in the future are combinations and expansions on the old concepts.

don't hurt yourself thinking of some niche concept that doesn't exist already, the point will still stand

And none of the shit you mentioned is built by owners, but by workers. And the materials used to make the Iphones were mined or extracted by workers, and the company was not managed by the owner, but by managers hired by the owner.

polite sage for offtopic.

Just fuck off to Holla Forums if you think anyone gives a shit.

I ain't even the zizek guy.