Every Asterix comic after Uderzo retired is complete fucking shit. To be precise...

Every Asterix comic after Uderzo retired is complete fucking shit. To be precise, everything from Secret Weapon onwards is complete shit but I guess it's just Uderzo losing his touch.

The new ones read like fanart more than anything else and a total lack of humor of any sort.

Other urls found in this thread:

connexionfrance.com/Archive/Asterix-creator-on-his-life-s-work
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

The last three are okay. They are more kid friendly but harmless. The real shitty ones are Latraviata and the one with the alien.

Ftfy

Just have Asterix ride a chariot over a shark and have done with it.

I don't know a whole lot of franco-belgian comic series that haven't suffered from newer artists picking them up, both in writing or in style.
One notable exception would be Spirou and Fantasio, who've had some amazing artists/scenarists working on it after Robvel and Jijé, like goddamn Franquin, or Tome and Janry.

I used to talk to this French weeaboo friend and apparently Uderzo really fucking hated the Japanese because they shove mature content in entertainment aimed at kids and thought capeshit and Disney were the absolute best like the good goy that he is, and it caused quite a stir with the Francophone weeaboos.
(((Goscinny))) gets a free pass because at the very least they gifted us with gems like this.

What actually happened was that Uderzo saw some hyper violent, hyper sexual manga that upset him and he took it as representative of all Japanese cartoons. It wasn't even a comic aimed at kids.

sauce?

Black Gold came out after Goscinny died.

connexionfrance.com/Archive/Asterix-creator-on-his-life-s-work

So it's just a standard case of someone reading one manga and thinking it's representative of every single manga. Honestly not surprising, happens a lot. I was almost respecting him when he was talking about valuing franco-belgian styles more, but then he had to fuck everything up talking about Disney. Maybe he means old Disney and not current Disney, but still…

To be honest I also read that issue and it wasn't particularly good or funny. I guess it's funny how the nips are treated like bug people even in ship designs but it lacked any interesting element. Which one is your favorite, fellas? Mine has to be Asterix and the Secret Weapon, because it had to be the one time that the duo couldn't straight up brute force their way out of the plot.

Asterix and the Roman Agent make me lose it no matter how many times I read it. Caesar's Gift, The Mansions of the Gods and The Laurel Wreath aren't far behind too.

That always manages to make me smile
Also if you're missing on some issues, the Wayback Machine archives have the entire collection of the older ones.

They should let Alexandre Astier write an album or two. His Asterix CGI movie was pretty good.

When the romans goes to Brittain to take it over is just the best one.

Is Asterix supposed to have an anti-nazi message? I didn't pick up on that as a kid.

I actually grew up watching the cartoon movies over and over, and when I found that comic I bought it because I loved Asterix and all it's stories, then I read that shit that doesn't even pretend to do pseudo historic shit and get into aliens, just to shit on manga.

The 12 trials was the best Asterix movie objectively.

Big Fight is my favorite.

That doesn't need a spoiler. Most would agree.
It's especially fascinating because the movie is completely original.

I like the one where the druid gets mad, too because of the cool visuals in many scenes, but I think it's one of the least liked ones.

Check Asterix and the Goths.

Also didn't the first one end with the Nazis and a "and no foreign army successfully held Gaul since"?
Some of my mates were crazy about these books when I was younger, I always preferred Tintin, though I recently got the box set and some of the "time-jumping" (due to some comics being redrawn and 'updated' in the 50's) jarred me. Also, though the box set included new English translations of the first two stories, which were accurate, they kept the original English translations for the others, in which Tintin is British.
Anyone know if them ones about the little Japanese girl that were drawn by a airtaku are any good?

I don't remember any specific anti-nazi message in that album, I must have forgotten. I should reread it sometime.

Yoko Tsuno? I've heard it's solid scifi, but never read any myself.

…Asterix is still going?

Well it is making fun of Germany since the Goths are German…

couldnt he just made a fucking blog post about it, instead of making a whole damn comic?

What is this, One Piece?

He ought to look at some early Tezuka, Astro Boy and so on. They have a great light adventure style and plots that seem to have been made up on the fly, much like the first Tintin book

That's the idea, yes.

Nigger, do you think Uderzo actually read manga before drawing this? It's a mix of stuff he saw on Club Dorothée clearly, not more recent stuff.

That comic was absolute garbage.

This. The worst shit ever done with Asterix. I couldn't even believe it was real after reading. The newer ones before at least had a story.

Yeah, but it's still a common manga cliché.

Actually, the one about the Goths is more relevant to the whole history of Germany, divided into various minors with Prussia at its helm and with centuries of infighting and wars. The real Nazi caricatures are the Roman themselves, IIRC it's about how all the various regions controlled by Rome all have areas of "resistance" so to speak to the foreign rule and how most of the folk that cotton up to the Romans aren't viewed in a good light. Besides, that's the only way (((Goscinny))) and Uderzo could get away with adding Roman salutes (duh). Tintin has similar origins but I believe it was more about people fleeing Europe and escapism in general than actual resistance, I've only read one book and don't even remember its name right but that's it.

Probably the worst part about this book is that it wasn't even funny in an ironic way. Even at its worst, Asterix books have a bunch of funny ahistorical jokes, that book was just bashing at one culture and sucking up to another for the sake of doing so.

Absolutely correct.

Hey Holla Forums

If this whole nazi discussion started because the Romans are often nazi references, then I'd argue the nazis were inspired by the Romans… to the point that Hitler planned to build giants Roman style buildings. I'm curious how those would have looked, but at the same, it really sounds stupid.

Hey Holla Forums

I like it
Just because it tingles my /o/tism