PHANTASY STAR

ITT: PHANTASY STAR

So I Just finished marathoning the original Phantasy Star series. Even though I grew up with an SMS I never had the chance to play the original game so I got an SMS and Genesis emulator on the Vita and played through the all of the 4 games.

The only Phantasy Star games I had played were the PSP ones and they’re completely different from the original jrpgs, so here’s my opinion on all of the 4 games.

PHANTASY STAR (SMS)

Starting with the first game. The first game is just ridiculously good. I’m surprised I never hear people talking about this game. The game is light years ahead of it’s time, it’s pretty much a 16 bit game released in the middle of the 8 bit era.
The game has excellent graphics, the pixel art in this game is probably one of the best I’ve ever seen and the presentation is so pretty and well done. The game plays like any old rpg from a top down view but also switches to a first person screen everytime it’s possible. So you’ll be talking to npcs in first person mode, with context based backgrounds that are really well done, acessing the menu also brings the screen to first person mode bringing even more immersion.
The battles also happen in first person and the enemies are all really well drawn and they all have animations as well as some of the backgrounds. Really immersive for a game that came out in 1987, nearly 30 years ago.

The best part however is the dungeons in this game. They play like a 3D first person dungeon crawler, something that would be impossible to achieve on the nes, it was even better than most games on PC at the time.

The characters were all likeable and the story was pretty cool. The soundtrack is simply amazing, the art, gameplay, everything was good in this game. The game was also hard as fuck and had you travelling in fucking space, how cool is that? You even get all sorts of vehicles to explore even more of each of the three planets. The game despite being small felt like a gigantic interplanetary adventure.

10/10 game. I only wish I heard about this game before, this is a must play. This game along with Phantasy Star IV are easily on my top ten jrpg list along with Chronno Trigger and Suikoden II.

Other urls found in this thread:

pscave.com/dow/rom/fantranslated.shtml
romhacking.net/hacks/553/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

PHANTASY STAR 2

Now for the Aberration that is the second game. I played it right after beating Phantasy Star on the SMS emulator so the dissapointment was huge. This game has a few good thing going for it so let me take it out of the way first.

First cool thing about this game is that now you can see your characters in battle. Second thing is that you have more than 4 characters to choose, and you can change your party anytime you want provided you can travel back to the first town. The music was pretty good as well, some of the songs were a bit meh though. I believe that’s all the good things so now on to the bad things.

First, the game removed the awesome background from battles in the first game, actually all of the first person views you got in the first game got canned and now everything plays from a top down view. The battle backgrounds were replaced by this black and blue grid, which would be cool if it wasn’t for the fact that it’s the only background you get.
The story in the second game is interesting but the execution is pretty fucking retarded. Only the two main characters have any plot revolving around them, all the other characters are random people that show up at your house and demand to join your party for no reason whatsoever.

The battle system is cool and the addition of autobattle would be a good thing if it wasn’t for the fact that you will be grinding in this game for ages. This game is one of the worst grindfest shit I’ve ever had the displeasure to play. If you don’t spend days leveling up you will get fucking destroyed.

The towns in this game are all small with lots of unnecessary things blocking the way. I forgot to mention that in the first game all of the npcs in towns had something interesting to say and clues on how to advance the plot. In the second game all npcs have the same random dialog that has nothing to do with anything, only a few select npcs have something to say so if you’re like me and everytime you go to a new town in an rpg you like to talk to every npc then prepare to rage in this game, they all look the same and they all say the same shit, a few of them will say some other random shit as well.

Also, the npcs in the first game were static. In the second game however the npcs move! But that’s not a good thing you see because the level desing in this game is so fucking retarded that navigating through towns is a pain in the ass and as if it wasn’t bad enough, npcs will randomly walk and block your path, it’s infuriating.

Now let’s talk about the most aggravating shit in this game, the fucking dungeons. The game was so retardedly designed that they had to include a guide showing you how to essentially beat every dungeon in the game, and let me tell you, they HAD to do this. It’s literally impossible to beat this game in less than a year without the guide or some online FAQ/walkthrough. The dungeons are not only badly designed with random paths leading to dead ends everywhere, but they are also designed in such a way that it’s almost impossible to know where you are because the dungeons teleport you to random locations in random floors all the fucking time. And to top it off the ridiculously high enemy encounter rate in this game will make sure that every third step you have to fight the same monsters for the billionth time just so you can use that random teleporter in the corner of the floor that teleports you to a random floor with a dead end.

0/10, do not play this shit unless you’re a masochist or like to play games with FAQs because you’ll be using one from start to finish. Maybe I’m being too harsh with the game, I feel like if some of the flaws, specially the dungeons were addressed before release the game would be a solid 8/10. I did enjoy my time with it when i wasn’t getting fucked in the ass by the shitty dungeons or reloading savestates just so I can take more than 5 steps without a fucking battle. I also feel it’s highly recommended you play this if you plan on playing the 4th game as well.

PHANTASY STAR 3

I don’t understand why people hate this game so much. It fixed pretty much all of the flaws with the second game. NPCs now have interesting things to say, navigating through town is enjoyable once again, battles have backgroungs although you can’t see your characters in battle anymore, the music is also superb, the story is pretty good and much better than the second and the characters are much more fleshed out. And the most important thing the dungeons are well designed this time, they’re not as simple and easy as in the 4th game game but pretty well done imo.

The game also had a few innovations in the form of multiple generations of characters and branching story paths with multiple endings. I really liked the story in this game, particularly the plot twist when you learn about your planet, really cool stuff.

The game however is pretty bland, the battles are quite boring and the art style is bizarre and interesting but bland nonetheless. And the worst offender is that the game just doesn’t feel like a Phantasy Star at all so I can understand why fans of the series dislike this game.

I would put this game above the second one but bellow the first and fourth game. I enjoyed it pretty much and can easily say it’s an 8/10 game, it’s what Phantasy Star 2 should’ve been except this game isn’t quite a Phantasy Star game. It’s like Doom 3, change the name and ignore the franchise it’s supposed to be in and you get a pretty good game that stands on its own.

PHANTASY STAR 4

And now the best game in the franchise and easily one of the best jrpgs I’ve ever played. This game is up there with Chronno Trigger, it’s a must play on a console that didn’t have many jrpgs to begin with. In fact it’s quite odd how one of the best jrpgs in the 16 bit era was on the Genesis considering how badly the Snes raped the Genesis in terms of rpgs.

A simple way to explain this game is, take all the good things from the previous games, put them all in the game, improve those things, now add more cool stuff, now polish it and tell the fans you love them with lots of references and throwbacks to all the other games. This is easily and by far the best of the four and the reason you should play the other three first, no matter how shit the second game is, just so you can enjoy this game in all of it’s glory.

How do I even begin? Let’s talk about the bad stuff first so we can move on to the good things. When this game was being developed they originally planned to bring back the first person view 3D dungeons from the first game, however they never put it in the game, instead we got more 2D top down dungeons. Not that it’s really a bad thing, the dungeons in this game are the best of the series but I’d preffer the 3d dungeons instead. Also, the game is pretty easy, there’s no grinding, which is good but aside from boss battles the game is way too easy.

So, best graphics in the series. Battles now have your characters and backgrounds and they all have animations which is pretty cool. You can do combos with other characters and you can also set different macros for you attacks, spells and techniques, pretty cool stuff. The art style in this game is pretty good, probably the best looking game on the Genesis and even better than many Snes rpgs. The soundtrack in this game is simply amazing, fantastic, best in the series and one of the best ever imo.

The world is pretty well done with lots of towns to explore, the npcs are all interesting with lots of things happening in each town. You can see effect of your actions in the game as you progress through the story. There are even sidequests, some of them pretty good as well. It really felt like a joy to visit each town and talk to people and then return later in the game to see the changes.

In this game you also get to travel the world using vehicles like in the first game and even cooler than that is that you can also battle inside the vehicles wich have different attacks and abillities, pretty cool.

The characters are all really well done and they all evolve throughout the story, they really grow on you. My favorite being the green dezolian Raja that looks like a priest version of Picollo(or is it Piccolo?), he’s a pretty funny guy. I also loved Wren, the Intergallatic Robocop, that cyborg simply wrecks everything in the game, he also reminds you of Wren from the third game, despite being a different character so it’s prety cool.

The cutscenes in this game are also pretty cool and they play like manga, or comic books, whatever. Seeing the characters react to the events with actual pictures instead of just a small portrait really helped set the tone in this game. The ending scene was pretty cool as well.

I fucking Love this game, this is easily an 11/10 game, they milked the Genesis for all of it’s worth and the result is a this masterpiece. You really should play all the other three games just so you can play this. Amazing game.

Played PS3 and 4 since I was a kid. Loved the shit out of them, especially 4 – it was a masterpiece.

I'm still bummed that there will never be a new Phantasy Star RPG.

Now, I know nobody is going to read this wall of fucking test so I'm just going to post some music and let me know what you guys think of the original PS series.

EMBEDDED FUCKING RELATED

listen to it while you read

Hit me like a brick. I thought the party would be able to save her. I really couldn't believe it when she was gone.

Rika best waifu, Alys best nee-san.
With that out of the way, I loved PS4, especially the first part. Travelling to other planets was kinda meh because none of the other planets were as developed as the first one, with temples, cities, monsters and shit, but besides that, it's a good game. Better than Chrono Trigger in my opinion.

I thought that 2 was considered the best one. It's the only one that SEGA has digitally re released.

I actually enjoyed the PSP online games. I'm not sure if a new Phantasy Star 5 would be a good thing. I'm glad they wrapped the series up so well with the fourth game. I really don't think they would be able to make another PS 4 quality game, let alone top it so maybe it's for the better.

nice spoiler faggot
but yeah, it really hit hard. I also thought they would have to go all the way to the end and beat the final boss so that they could save her but nope.

Can't argue with that.
>Better than Chrono Trigger in my opinion.
Not sure about that. I can't really compare them because I actually played CT when it came out in the snes and only got to play PS now so I clearly have a bias. I'd say they are easily on the top 5 of all time.

I'm not sure why people love the second game so much. I believe that it's because lots of people started the series with the second game due to how unpopular the SMS was. To me it's easily the worst in the series and one of the worst jrpgs I've ever played. The ending was pretty cool however.

That macro feature was wonderful to deal with constant repetitive battles. Almost ten years later games like Skies of Arcadia were almost unplayable as they lacked it.

The "Learning Megido" tower.
That really made me angry.
Alys reappearing, the fucker killing you after answering a harmless question wrong, and the always stupid "WE'LL BE AS BAD AS THE VILLAIN IF WE EMBRACE THE HATE" lines.
But at least, you get the most damaging spell in the game after that.
The Purifying Light combo is still better for grinding on the last dungeon, and against the final boss, casting Megido or the Destruction combo is worse than using individual skills or Paladin Blow.

OP, did you play the regular version of PS1, or the fan retranslation? It's a huge difference, and you can play it with the superior FM soundtrack.

pscave.com/dow/rom/fantranslated.shtml

I love retranslations. Like with Breath of Fire II.

Yeah, that was really great. Why didn't turn-based jap rpgs released after 1994 use it?

The game had a bug though that you actually lost stats after level 85 or so, if I remember correctly.

How are the remakes for the Playstation 2?

PSIII is the best.

The only good remake of that collection was the Dynamite Deka/Die Hard Arcade one. The others are all hot garbage.

Phantasy Star II probably has the best plot of all the Phantasy Star games, and one of the best plots in RPG games in general. One of the reasons why the characters were so flat is because nobody knew if characterization was even a thing that customers wanted at the time - and it was an unnecessary risk that would take up valuable precious space on a cartridge. To experiment with characterization, PSII released a TON of supplementary material. Text adventure games, Choose your own adventure books, Radio Dramas, etc. These are the materials that fleshed out the characters, and it turns out - people fucking loved it. It's part of the reason why PSIV was so heavily story and character based by comparison (it was originally supposed to be a SegaCD game with fully animated cutscenes).

So if you don't read the supplementary material, you're only getting half the story.

And while the actual meat and potatoes of the storyline is rather lean and spartan - the basic plotline is quite fantastic I think. What other RPGs, especially at the time, made you to be the villains? Not only YOU as a human player - who's decendants are responsible for trying to genocide the Algolian people… but your party is framed as terrorists responsible for crashing Gaira into Palma, destroying the planet - killing billions and causing the Great Collapse which would reset civilization to nil for the next 1,000 years. And you did this to a people who were deliberately weakened and dependent upon advanced technology for everything. You killed their "Mother" who provided for them, and left them die.

But that was the only way to save them.

And in the end, you and your party quite likely died fighting a hopeless battle against the Earthlings.

PSII is a tragedy, for everyone involved. And the game is better for it. It's impactful, in a way that few RPGs with their happy endings and power of friendship being enough to create miracles bullshit can match. Alys death? Nei's death? Aerith's death?

They're nothing in comparison. FFVII comes somewhat close with it's own ambiguous ending, but you're always understood to be the final hope of the people. In the expanded canon, you find that Cloud and his party survived and the world continues on much like it had before. In PSII… you're hated by the people you saved. Those who knew your name, cursed it with their dying breath. History would remember you as a monster.

PSII set the high-water mark for plot in Phantasy Star for me. It set the tone for the rest of the series. PSO (which it can be argued, in v.1 & v.2 for the Dreamcast were intended to be connected to the main PS plot as a side-story) had similar tragic themes at the end of Ep 1's story. After all, you were stuck millions of light years away from home. You couldn't land, but neither did you have the supplies to turn back. The colonies which were being built to support your population were destroyed along with the entire crew of Pioneer 1, and Red Ring Rico was dead. Worse, there's strong indications that you were never meant to found a new colony for your people to escape it's dying world. You were always only ever an expendable military experiment, a pawn in the development of a new generation of weapons technology. Episode 1, at least, followed in PSII's tragic tone… and it's ending theme song encapsulated perfectly (IMO) the spirit of the Phantasy Star series.
————

Tell me please
How much we have to bleed
When we'll get the land of dream
After lonely bitter days

Now I can still see the light
You're saved
And I think of you tonight
Soon the dawn will come again
But What have I got?
What has it cost me?

The graphs and animations where just too cheap, it was annoying that every 2 steps you faced a monster, but i liked the concept.

Being the weakest in the series (to most people), PSIII is the game which really needs a remake the most. Partly to bring it more inline with the rest of the series - partly to bring out what really set it apart as it's own title - and mostly to get rid of that horrible UI and disjointed design.

That, and I really, really like Toyo Ozaki's designs - and I'd like to see what she could come up with with decent pixelart or 3d modeling.

You know the dungeons are shit when even playing the PS2 collection that allows for increased meseta and experience feels like a chore.

damn, is PSII the extent of how fucked the in-game universe is? My limited knowledge of the games makes me believe that all the games are completely separate stories disconnected from each other.

Oh shit nigger someone made a PS thread. I used to play PS4 as a kid but never got too far because I just mashed the same button in battles over and over until it got me a game over.
I tried playing the previous games because I want to beat that trilogy so I started with PS3 (the spin-off).
While branching story paths was pretty interesting I have to disagree with you on the music: the combat music is crap. A good idea with a poor execution.
About the towns: They are empty. and show no variation at all. Even the towns in the middle of a snowy area have the same color scheme as the ones near a forest or even a desert.
As for the characters the only one that left a big impression on me was Lyle and it wasn't a good one. He was a dick and you don't get the satisfaction to punish him because he just dies in a very non-dramatic way. The game felt empty and incomplete to me. After beating the game with my 3/4th layan character I moved on to PS1

PS1 on the SMS was too dated for me. I dig 3D dungeon crawlers like Shining in the Darkness for the genesis but PS1's graphics were pretty subpar on the dungeon crawling element. If you turn left or right the transition is not always correct because the game just uses one image for that. It made doors and chests appear out of nowhere. I opted to play the enhanced remake for the Playstation 2.
I also played the remake for PS2 but didn't get too far (forgot what I was supposed to be doing so I have to start over). They added some things that I honestly don't like in the remake's combat system and made the dialogue way too weeb for my tastes, PS4 should have gotten a remake as well but Sega shut it down.

Kind of, yeah. PSIV is somewhat post-apocalyptic, and PSII was the apocalypse which brought it down. Motavia was originally a desert planet, but it was terraformed by PSII's time. Once Mother Brain was destroyed, a sort of gestalt of independent networked subsystems took control as best they could and tried to prevent Motavia from reverting back to a desert world. But in the process, some of them became corrupted or wore down over time - causing the planet to slip further and further into a desolate wasteland. That's kind of where PSIV starts, and through the course of that game you have to shut down the remaining systems in order to prevent them from tearing the planet apart.

So, the Palmans living on Motavia are still circling the drain towards a dead world, just… more slowly. That was the whole point of SEED creating Rika. Numen were originally supposed to just be disposable biomonster soldiers that would ravage the planet - culling the pampered and weak Algolians for a few years and then die off once they were no longer being actively produced. Leaving the planet primed for invasion by the comparatively small Earthling forces. SEED re-purposed the Numen project and gave Rika the ability to have children. He loaded her down with beneficial mutations that would help the Algolians of future generations to survive the harsh wastelands.

The stories are all connected, but there is a 1,000 year span of time between each of them (except PSIII & IV, which occur concurrently - or PSIII taking place 1,000 years after PSIV, depending on which region you're playing).

PS is as much a story about the struggle between the Great Light, the Profound Darkness, and the Algol system caught between them - as it is about any particular set of characters.

Critics liked II the most, but fans almost always regard 4 as the best and with good reason. It's by far the best game in the series.

That being said, II isn't as bad as
makes it out to be. The crazy dungeons and the frequent battles are annoying, but they're not bad enough to ruin the game. If you can handle the encounter rate in Breath of Fire II, you can handle the one in the Phantasy Star II.

Which one has the best theme in the series and why is it the first game?

I only played until the dams, but none of the previous dungeons did that.

They are pretty maddening though.

I meant it more like you don't know which floor you are after teleporting. In the first game if you go up a set of stairs in the first floor of a dungeon you know that you went to the second floor but in the second game you dont know if you went up or down a floor or where the hell you are after taking a teleporter.

The whole process is trial and error until you find the correct combinations of teleporters to get you where you need to go, unless you use a guide, which is the way the game was intended to be played since they added a guide with the game and specifically said that the game would be much harder without the guide.

Are these worth playing? I know the early Sega Ages releases are shit, but I was wondering if the some of the more frustrating mechanics were fixed.

actually those aren't teleporters, but simple stairs. It took me a while to get it. Red/inwards are stairs leading down, the orange/outwards are leading up.
Combine that with the fact that most floors have similar layouts and it can be graphed.

They did fix a lot. The only main critique would be the loss of charm in some of the aesthetics, especially if you don't care about the rearranged music.

Oh well, you got me there. How did I not realize that? I'll admit I just didn't enjoy playing it and rushed it just so I could play the other 2.

I have a question.
How I'm supposed to know where myau is in the first game?
Everything early on point out to Odin in the medusa cave, but how do you learn about myau's whereabouts?

The game starts indicating the way through the npcs, but then it have this void about myau's whereabouts.

Some npcs talk about a man who captured a talking beast or something like that. Then you find this man in one of the towns and he wants to sell the beast for 1 billion mesetas, so you naturally refuse it and then he offers to trade it for a special item you have. Idk what happens if you refuse the offer without having that item in your inventory.

I also got to odin before meeting myau by accident, I suppose youre meant to find myau first who then tells you the whereabouts of odin because I dont remember anyone giving me any clues about odin outside of people saying he went after medusa.

Not even for a second.
It was a game with a lot potential and good ideas and all of it implemented horribly.

I'm too used to Phantasy Star Online Blue Burst. I love that game to bits.

Oh boy a phantasy star thread!
Everyone here has pretty much summed up my feelings on the series, in all ways.
It seems whenever phantasy star is brought up, everyone always agrees on the same points but loves it all together.

The thing is user, PS3 was a very rushed game and it shows; as another user pointed out already it really is in dire need of a remake.

I would say plot wise only the first quest with Rhys is fully developed, the rest except for maybe Ayn's are very rushed.

I actually just played through the game again last week going through Nials route, I always hate the part when you get the character Ryan to join you, because he's easily the least memorable character and just sorta exists in a vacuum as the rebel leader against Lune.

he is pretty strong though.

Another thing.

Sega always does such a good job when it comes to releasing their music, there is a tonne of it you can find on youtube.

The Concert for the 25th anniversary of Phantasy Star is also amazing, I tried to find it but it must had gotten taken off youtube.

They focus a bit too much on the Online games in my opinion but they play the memorable tunes of each game.

This one related is my favourite

Mieu is underrated Phantasy Star waifu.

Well fuck, I've got the series on Steam from some bundle (except 1 I think), I should probably get around to playing them then. Is 1 necessary to play or do I go straight to 2 and after that skip 3?

Why would you skip the first game? Just emulate it. The game is old but its a good game and still very playable. Also dont skip 3

1, 2 and 4 were made by the same team. 3 is more of a side-story but still has references to the main "trilogy". Also PSO was meant to be connected to PS3 before that script got dropped.

You need to play 1 with the SMSPower retranslation patch and FM Sound.

I actually started with PSO's original release on the dreamcast and even got ver. 2, damn fine game, without it I wouldn't have gotten into the classic turn based ones.
According to wikipedia yeah, I know, great source the vocals in embed related were done by Donna Burke.

I'll also add that I was pretty excited to see the Profound Darkness show up for a fucking change in PSO2 and was even more excited when the music started playing.

Who drew that fourth image? It looks like Haruhiko Mikimoto's stuff.

loved how high tech phantasy star 2 was. computers control the weather, you use a teleport station to travel and you don't use magic to revive the dead, you clone them.

did you play ps2 with a translation patch?

Not sure. It's fan-art from a pin-up poster for the My Room feature in PSP2. Sega couldn't get the rights for the original pin-up girls outside of Japan, so they held a fan-art contest to replace them.

That was one of the winners.

Your criticism on PS2 is fair save for this:

Git gud, nigga. You needed three things to beat the dungeons in ANY Phantasy Star, given that PS and numerous RPGs adhered to the same D&D rules

- Graphing paper
OR
- Patience to memorize the map layouts
- Grinding to survive the dungeons

That's it. You can beat that game in a week at the laziest. Git Gud.

I take it back. You're retarded.

I, II, and IV are interconnected. I believe III is supposed to be too but I couldn't tell you firsthand. I never finished it—it's one of the few games I've ever played where the UI turned me off that hard (and I was a kid playing this for the first time. I'd sat through the likes of Ultima Exodus and Dragon Warrior with no issue, but PS3 was…something).

But other user is right. And this is actually the reason that Sega's earned my eternal animosity. Both the Shining Franchise and the Phantasy Star franchise were taken away from any fans outside Japan, essentially. Creators threw a hissy fit and took their toys and left, and Sega has never, to this day, corrected the slight those people made, despite the extremely warm and positive outcry international fans gave to Sega to continue both series outside Japan's shores.

Interesting. It might still be him, I know he did fan art of Zelda so maybe he did art for other games as well.

What happened exactly? Was it just over creative differences or something?

the shining games haven't been the same since camelot stopped developing them.

sega fucked over camelot (shining force, golden sun) by announcing the dreamcast while they were still developing shining force 3 (scenario 1, 2, 3, premium disk). that or the fact that sega didn't translation any of it other than the 1st scenario pissed them off.

Been meaning to look into Phantasy Star sometime. I know there's been a lot of different ports, and some of the games have gotten remakes. Is it best to stick with the originals (additionally, how's the translation quality? Any worthwhile patches that improve things if need be), or is there a particular version of each that is the best at this point?

Yeah, I remember seeing this article a few years back. Seems utterly ridiculous that Sega of Japan would think the western fanbase's S.O.S campaign was an attempt to stir shit against the newer Shining games. Granted, I haven't kept up with it, so if something's changed since then, I can't exactly say for sure.

Sega was shitting itself with financial issues during the early 2000 and job security wasn't a very sure thing. It was probably a business decision more than anything.

ahem

This is the fan-side explanation of the business. tl;dr someone inside Sega hates non Japanese. I'm not sure about the Camelot & Climax businesses though I DO know Climax (and Matrix, their technical successor) have received a lot of shit over the years despite creating some of the most amazing fucking games of the Genesis/SNES and PSX/Saturn eras. I'd kill to know just what went down between the three but I think it's business as usual, big companies cannibalizing their own smaller house talents for little gain.

I forgot to explain the Phantasy Star connection, but honestly you can get the story from the PSO2 threads. The short of it is all at once and without warning, Japan kicked ALL IPs off their servers and then shut down official servers in other countries for PSO2, with no options to create your own private servers. I believe this was after a promotional push too, iirc. No refunds, no compensation, nothing.

Now, you have to download the Japanese version of the game if you want to play, and hope that Sega lazily decides not to IP sweep (to my understanding they don't do it often).

And to my knowledge, Sega's never answered any word officially on the state of the Phantasy Star franchise, neither the main games nor the online components that have also lead into spinoff games of their own.

the glitch worked like this:
starting at level 99 you would start to lose your skills and spells.
as in they'd suddenly be gone, permanently, the next time you went looking for them in the menu
this was actually due to a weird math error. There are fan patches to fix it and the Sega Ages version has the option to fix it (defaulted to on iirc)

PS4 level 99 fix:
>>romhacking.net/hacks/553/

Speaking of PSO2, is it worth it to try and get into the game fresh? My computer is an absolute potato, but I reading the stories of the series here, I'm interested in seeing what they've done with the ideas.

Couldn't tell you. Last game I tried to pick up was Phantasy Star Zero for the DS. My computer's a toaster 10 years old so I don't even try gaming on any serious graphic-heavy level.

Motherfuck, I've been waiting FOREVER to repost this.

shenmue 3 is coming for pc, out run 2 was on pc till the Ferrari licence expired and i thought sega were considering porting yakuza to pc.

Do note the timestamps please.

Reminder that PSIV is casual piece of shit with pretty pictures, zero roleplay and toddler-tier challenges, and gimmicky shit like combos and vehicular combat that isn't any different from regular one.

PSIII is great deep RPG that requires thinking, tactics, has branching story, developed world and characters.

I wonder what a non-action-RPG Phantasy Star would be like if it were made today.

No one in your middle school played PS3, huh?

What do you guys think of Phantasy Star's spiritual successor?

OP Got Told

but good thread

Pretty fucking good mate, loved the discovery system and how the overworld music changed depending on the region you were in, along with the boss music changing depending on well you were doing.

Better question: What's the definitive? I have the Dreamcast physical but my Dreamcast is broken. How's the Gamecube version?

I haven't played the GC version, but I've heard it has a lot more content.

As someone who only played the gamecube version, the only thing I ever hear that the dreamcast version does better is the music quality.
Apparently something fucked up when porting and the music isnt as clear, but in my opinion its still damn good.

The gamecube version has all the free DLC the dreamcast version got and more in terms of extra content, while the dreamcast version has better music.

It's not similar in tone. It feels more like a lighthearted Panzer Dragoon spin off in fantasy land with flying ships and floating islands. No spaceships for interplanetary travel or robots/aliens in fantastical science fiction land.

It took up too much space. The music on DC was fantastic though, I'm sure it's been ripped and works within the Dolphin emulator.

Well now I don't have to play the game.

Good, although like the other guy mentioned, I've only played the Gamecube one. Extra content and less loading, but since Sega only opted for one Gamecube disc instead of multidisc (the way some other JRPGs on the system, like Batan Kaitos and Tales of Symphonia were), the music quality's a bit reduced due to lack of space, or something.

What the other anons said, plus encounter rate is lowered and experience gained is raised in the Cube version.

I played all of them, PS4 started out strong with great graphics, but very soon I was disappointed with the lack of depth in both story and gameplay.
It's casual shit with pretty graphics.