Discuss qtes and why they are bad

I'm playing pic related and i wanted to know what does Holla Forums think about it.

While am having fun with it i cannot help but to think it was supposed to be an anime, seeing as how it's divided in chapters with their own credits, and chapters are split in episodes, and obviously the vast majority of it is story-driven cutscenes with qtes.

Still, I think doing it as an actual movie or anime would have been counterproductive, as it would have become stale soon, without the little gameplay it has and how action-based is the plot.

My opinion is that it's an interesting experiment, and I see what the developers were going for, sorta like The Walking Dead or TLoU but based on an anime instead.

Duh.

My opinion is that it's shit with DLC ending and boring as fuck gameplay. Even some other games that were based entirely on qtes like Heavy Rain did it better.
By the time I got to the end and found out it wasn't even "true ending" I just threw the disc away. I paid money for it too. I just couldn't stand to see the reminder of me believing all of those people saying it's awesome and being played like a sucker. This shit is the most insulting game I've ever played.

My opinion is that it's DEFINITELY shit and the only thing separating it from heavy rain and all the other movie games Holla Forums despises is that it's generic GAR anime shit and Holla Forums has notoriously shit taste when it comes to anime so some sad fucks here fell for it.
Thankfully most of Holla Forums is still sane enough not to fall for stupid bullshit just because it's catering to their pleb taste.

m-muh save the daughteru plot ;_;

Well I'm in just to fuck shit up.
Besides, I wanted to discuss qtes, would you rather a game with very long cinematics that lets you sit through it, or one like Asura's Wrath?

People on Holla Forums make a big deal out of it, but QTEs are okay as long as they're used sparingly, and the rest of the gameplay is still challenging and fun. It's an okay way of letting you do cool shit that the normal mechanics don't, and it keeps you awake during cutscenes.

I liked it in RE4.

QTEs are a failing of game design, if you're using them to do things that the gameplay doesn't normally account for then you designed your gameplay wrong and if you're using them to keep people paying attention in cutscenes then you designed shitty boring cutscenes.

Complaining that Asura's Wrath isn't anything more than an interactive 3D anime is like complaining that Silent Hill doesn't give you guns and ammo immediately and let you shoot up all the monsters with industrial metal playing in the background.

Saying that saying something is like saying something else is like not saying anything at all

Not reading. Try again without them.

I liked it but I also just borrowed it and therefore payed no money for it. It was more of a movie than a game but despite that I still found it pretty enjoyable minus the DLC bullshit.

Anyone who is interested in it should know that it has little to no real gameplay and most of your time with it will be spent watching cool and over the top fights that take place nearly entirely through cutscenes and with QTEs.

I think it was a genuine attempt at the idea of an interactive movie rather than the usual "we made a shit game with hardly any gameplay because we wanted to be film makers but YOUR ALL ENTITLED AND CAN'T SEE OUR CINEMATIC VISION" that we usually get. It may be worth your time if you enjoy over the top anime theme it has and don't mind the lack of any real gameplay but it's definitely not for everyone.

As for QTEs in general, they are not inherently bad but are nearly always badly implemented these days. They should not be part of cutscenes and should instead be part of the gameplay and come up naturally during it. QTEs suddenly appearing in cutscenes is complete bullshit and nobody likes it.

I pirated it along with the DLC. Pretty enjoyable, some games are just not for everyone.

I don't think that the qtes are inherently bad, they're just too often a part of lazy gameplay design

QTEs can be good if they are used properly. MGR used them right in place of an end boss cut scene. But when you use it place of actual game play, for instance the new Tomb Raider, it drags the whole game down.

This game disapointed the fuck out of me, especially after seing the trailers:
This was clearly suposed to be a Beat Em Up in the early stages of development, there were suplexes, using colums as battering rams, 1.000 punching on enemy before spliting him in half, graving the face of a budda to pucnh and knee it, did i mention the suplexes.

Then the game came out and you had nothing but normal attack, a heavy attack that can't be comboed and it's only good for clearing small enemies out of the way, a hadouken gatiling gun (wich is not nearly as awesome as it sounds) targetting shit, no dodges, no counters, no blocking, no combos or different move sets, no grabs and throws, no pick ups…
They should have just made it into an anime… but with better writting and a story that actually made sence

Asura's Wrath is great, it does a great job of telling its story and involving you in it. There's more than enough gameplay to get you immersed in the game and that's all it's trying to do. Not every game needs gameplay to be at the forefront. Is Chrono Trigger less of a good game because the story and environments are far more interesting than the fairly basic and rather easy RPG gameplay?

I spoilered my opinion for blog post, cause I assume my opinion is only important if somebody wants to hear it.

The game had so much potential, but it was a let down. I enjoyed it plenty and the DLC shit, although despicable, couldn't bother me since I pirated it.
I liked the plot and the characters, pretty cool game regardless although not only mediocre, but actually really really bad as a game.

Also, I'm a shounenfag

I have yet to play the Ryu/Akuma episodes.

I noticed the game has 4 dlcs two of which are ryu/akuma, but are the other two relevant, or even worth to play?

Guess you also know why your thread has so few posts now. When you just add random spoilers that make no sense like you did people stop caring since its a bother.

I'm not sure it's about the spoilers, user…

fixed

>Being
>Bothered
>By
>Formatting
Go suffer your ADD somewhere else :^)

I liked the use of QTEs in Mercenaries 2. Hijacking enemy tanks and helicopters through a QTE sequence was a nice 'mini-game/activity' compared to instant hijack of vehicles in the first game.

Fucking bought that game because of the "co-op 2" on the back to find out it was online only.

What fucking bullshit.

Yeah, gotta say they were pretty fun.
I also enjoyed the fight with the soldier forgot the name who was entirely a quick time event because of how anticlimactic it was compared with the rest of the game, it made for a nice break of monotony .

Yes, actually, they're vital to the story.
See, the main game ends with a "true" chapter that ends in cliff hanger, that continues in the 4/5 chapters DLC.
Then there's the anime DLC, which isn't that much worth it but it expands on the story, with chapter 15.5 and shit like that. Only 2 chapters, tho.

Even then, the DLC ends with cliffhanger too, but I think that cliffhanger ends with Ryu/Akuma episodes.

That is bullshit. People talk about Bayonetta being a QTE-fest but the only ones I found inexcusable were the "press evade button or die" moments in the first one, it dragged that game down for me

It's one of my favorite games of all time but there's no debating it's more interactive anime then it is a game.

But it's a fucking god damn hype ass 12/10 interactive anime and it has some of the coolest fucking choreographed fights i've ever seen in anything and has an absurd sense of scale. You start the game off by punching a monster the size of s consent and the ending DLC has you blowing up planets and stars being thrown at you as you fight God inside a black hole

It makes cutscenes mandatory and turns the game into simon says.

There's 5 DLC's

There's the main part 4 nirvana/ "True ending" DLC, which is basically mandatory, takes place where the game ended off at, and has some of the best moments the game has.'

There's episodes 11.5 and 15.5, which take place exactly where they sound like. Don't buy them, just watch them on youtube, they are 100% QTE's

There's the two lost episodes which are the street fighter crossover stuff. It's more of the same stuff the rest of the game has. I'd say it's worth it if you enjoyed the main game/nirvana DLC, but if you weren't too hot on them then skip these

The thing is, at the end of Nirvana there was this epilogue where all deities are all reincarnated in modern people, and they're pretty much exactly how they used to, and then a meteor was going to strike earth and Asura was in front of it, then it ends.

Fucking cliffhangers. Pretty sure they wanted to milk it more, but the game bombed, I think.

Pretty much.

The game should have really been an episodic release for like 15$ per part, like the telltale games were.

going from dmc to bayo I can say that quick time events are irredeemable, In dmc I was zipping all over the place parrying everything and just generally bieng cuhrayzee. In bayo the action would keep getting interrupted by quick time events and its a lot less fun to watch crazy shit happen than it is to actually do it.

What about Bayo 2?

I should have specified, thats the one I was referring too I only played the demo so far though so take it with a grain of salt

But Bayo 2 doesn't have any QTEs.

QTEs are bad when they are not used as a core mechanic and are just thrown in to keep you awake. Its also basically the laziest way to have "gameplay" when its used in games like fucking Heavy Rain. Asura's Wrath isn't so bad, but it was better as movie or animu since the game is almost entirely SHOWING you the action rather than letting you do much in the game. It wasn't substantial enough to warrant a game for it.

QTEs are always garbage. If you can't facilitate doing something through the game mechanics, don't fucking do it. Let's take Bayonetta as an example, because it's the most egregious one off the top of my head.

Why the fuck would you suddenly go "PRESS THE PUNCH BUTTON TO DO CANNED JUMP ANIMATION TO AVOID DEA-OOPS YOU DIED" when you could just let the player fucking jump?

Why the fuck would you lock them in and go "PRESS JUMP TO DO THIS AWESOME KICK MOVE TO KILL THIS ENEMY" when you could just allow the player to do that move themselves? Fuck this "cinematic" bullshit, fuck your stupid simon says garbage. QTE's a cancer and every game with them is worse off for it.

theres nothing wrong with quick time events. it just so happens a lot of mediocre games use quicktime events in place of actual gameplay. basically its just Holla Forums on Holla Forums being retarded and drawing associations between everything

A recap of the whole thread:

So let's say the best way to implement them is at the end of a boss fight?
Something you do to "overkill" the boss after you did a hard fight to weaken it, sorta like God of War does.
It shouldn't however have insta-game over features but only give you bonuses by doing the quick time events good.

haha no

Nigger I like Bayo 2 but let's be real here:
There are the finishers but they're mostly button mashing.
There's also the occasional cutscene with them but they're very rare(especially in comparison to Bayo 1) and none of them are instant death.

QTE Boss Fights are the worst form of cop-out outside of maybe an optional finisher.

Sure, it's all about style and taste. I mean Platinum usually gets a free pass for using QTEs, because they'll tend to make good gameplay around it

I think he meant after the boss, not something that replaces the fight like in Order 1866. Revengeance's had those, and I didn't think they were too bad. But fuck the blade mode segments against Monsoon and Armstrong

I didn't mind Asura's wrath at the time because it's done something that no other game with QTE's did, it made what's happening hype.

Helps that Asura's Wrath is the best anime to come out in 10 years.

In Asura's Wrath it didn't feel like I was losing something by the addition of the QTE's nor was it annoying. If anything it was like said. It made certain parts really hype, especially when the rage reaches maximum levels. I just wish the fighting itself was done a bit better.

In the DLC ending of Asura's Wrath the final boss has his own QTE and as the battle progresses he starts to do worse to the point where he fails the QTE

The problem with today's QTE is that they are used incorrectly. If used sparingly like for finishes, are actual QTE's and not the slow down action sequences press button now shit fest they can enhance the experience. It's like wacking one off. You don't stroke your love rod with the fury of hell every now and then, you wait for the climax to maximize the release.

Gonna dump some webms of Asura's Wrath because I feel like it

Hypocritical faggots

asura's wrath was fucking amazing.

What I want to know is why is it "okay when Shenmue does it"?

Because Shenmue did it right.

Plus QTEs weren't the only gameplay and were rare, there was a very robust battle system where you really did the big action.

Plus it did it first, well before God of War drove it in to the ground.

Not to mention the fact that Shenmue was absolutely revolutionary at the time for a number of other reasons and basically set the tone for modern gaming as we know it today (and in fact it's world and characters and they way they exist in that world are still deeper than most modern games).