Is this the objectively best game ever made?

Is this the objectively best game ever made?

I mean, the gameplay is tight, the graphics were awesome for its time and it still looks nice, the music is memorable, the difficulty curve is well done, it's full of secrets and the fact that they managed to put such a long, colorful game in a NES cartridge is just amazing.

Not even trying to bait,I just can't think of a better game.

Other urls found in this thread:

romhacking.net/hacks/2714/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

We know it's you, Bob Chipman.

I still find that amazing.

But best game ever made? If I had to select candidates for best game ever made, it would most definitely be on the list.

What about Super Mario World? Couldn't all those things apply to it as well, just it's a little bit sharper?

MovieBlob pls.
It's good, probably the best 2D Mario, but you'll never have an "objective best" in any genre or medium given how different people's tastes are.

original DOOM.

world is way better than 3, its not even a contest

I honestly can't give any 1 and 3 the top spot due to the highly easy way to skip 90% of the game. Personally I have never completed each world, I'd say that goes for the majority.

casual

there is a reason that Peach gives you a P-wing before that level, it's so your casual ass can skip it

World has much better secrets, but most of the main levels are much easier.

SMW is far better.

Not really that impressive when you consider they basically soldered a prototype one of these into every copy of SMB3.

Shit game design.

Oh?

Calling it a prototype expansion pak is a bit of generalisation, but what made SMB3 such a large and complex game was the memory-management chip inside the cart, which allowed Nintendo to divvy up the NES's RAM much more efficiently.

I think a "perfect game" was Super Metroid in that you can't really find faults with it and it does so much right. It's not my favourite game of all time but for a game it does just about everything right and pretty much nothing wrong.

Not gonna argue with that.

SUPER MARIO BROTHERS 2 GAME OF THE YEAR
STILL THE KING BAYBEE

REmake comes close, in addition to Prime and Super Metroid.

It's hard to find any real faults in those games.

We get it, moviebob, you like mario

HAHAHAHAHA come the fuck on you double niggers.
In the World 8 he reapears, and i will give you that he get's in the fucking way a bit too much.

Hey man, I never had a problem with it since you can easy kill it with koopa shells and hammers. I was just pointing out that they give out a P-wing just for casual players.

Wait, what?

Hammers from the hammer suit pretty much destroy everything and you can take it out with a well timed koopa shell toss.

Holy shit user, all you need is a shell and it's done.

I've been living a lie my entire life.

Well, now you know.

Experimentation is the salt of life, you know. Try things out, maybe it will work, especially in vidya when you have nothing to lose but virtual life. Don't be a loser, be a winner.

I was but a young whelp at the time, there I was playing the cutesy game that is SMB3 when all of a sudden this angry motherfucker comes out of the fucking sky and wrecks my shit. I just wanted to run to the end of the level and never look back.

Super Mario World is much better, when you get back to 3 after it, the gameplay feels awfully heavy.
If you count Yoshi's Island, it becomes even less of a contest.

Its the best Super Mario Bros game (2D) ever made in my opinion.
Other games would do well to follow its template.

Firstly, it gives you an overworld that is not only a pretty little map to the stages but there are often alternate routes around some stages, shortcuts, and the overworld itself provides a way for the other player (if playing) to take an active role in changing up the order of play by being able to pull the current player into a combat challenge.

Secondly, its not all about completing stages. You have item houses, slot games (for lives), the hammer bros, and if triggered right you can have memory card games and the elusive coin ship.

Thirdly, The item selection. You have items that help within stages and items that help you manipulate your way through the overworld as well. Some of which help expose secrets. You also have costumes/powerups that are specific to the world and you'll never see again. Frog suit, Tanuki suit, hammer bro outfit. All have their own abilities that work specifically for their world and can work very nicely outside of that world. They are rare treats and help break up what would be a monotony of raccoon leaf, fire flower, and mushroom. Because they're so rare, you end up cherishing them more.

There is also the boot. The boot is love, the boot is life.

Bro, you seriously didn't know you could kill the sun?
How could you go through your whole life not knowing this?
How could you never have tried to kill the sun?

Although, honestly, it took me forever to notice THIS.
The shadow on the 3 is the back half of mario with the raccoon tail.

The stages in SMB3 were way too short, right when they really started getting good they ended. Other than that it was an absolutely fantastic game. It blows my mind that Nintendo made such a high quality game back when gaming was still in its infancy and nobody really understood what the hell they were doing. Also the Bowser theme was great, that fight gave my five year old self a massive adrenaline rush and I was sweating bulllets. It may seem really simple now but back then that shit was intense as hell.

The control scheme for Super Metroid is terrible. It was unplayable to me without the control freak patch. Even then the combat is clumsy and pales in comparison to games like Contra. Still a really excellent game though.

Oh, i'd also like to point out that Mario 3 has the best design for Mario yet.
That red and black?
Fucking wonderful.

Why THAT didn't become the definitive colorscheme I have no idea.
Maybe it makes the character seem too dark in a mood sense or something?

Nostalgiafag please fuck off. Everyone knows SMW is the best 2D mario, I played it one year ago for the first time and could immidiately tell.

This was so awesome at the time. It's been a very long time since I last played but I remember breaking a rock with an item in one overworld, which lead me to a boat that opened up a section of the level with secret islands and stuff. That blew my mind back then, that element of discovery and exploration, that feeling of finding something many people would completely miss in their playthrough. What a great game.

Super Mario World is great in itself but, well, there's always this talk of "depth" when it comes to certain games and if I had to say it, Super Mario World has width but it lacks some of the depth that SMB3 has.

They expanded the overworld. There are tons more stages. Lots of secrets in the stages. But it lacks the depth from the item selection aspect.
You can argue that hammersuit, frog suit, tanuki, boot, are all superfluous but its that extra stuff that can totally change how you play in a level.
And since they're rare, keeping them for as long as possible becomes a challenge in itself.

For me, there is a great satisfaction in killing bowser with the hammerbro suit. Destroying that monster with the weapons of his own soldiers.

I've always liked the Sonic approach, where the top half of the stage is challenging but faster to complete and the bottom half is easier but takes longer. If you want the game to stay challenging you have to play perfectly, if you fuck up they banish you to pleb city at the bottom.

Only in video games could you ask this question seriously.

Seriously though I only ever borrowed SMB3. I played a friend's copy while he was out of the country, but my household only had a Master System at the time. I just wanted to finish the game as quickly as I could, and I haven't played it since.

Super Mario 2 had some really clever design and really cool secrets, it's a shame it's basically the black sheep of the NES trilogy. I remember at the start of the level there was some quicksand behind me and a wall, I thought that was kind of strange so I dove into the sand, popped out on the other side and it was a shortcut to the boss, I thought that was so cool. It really makes me sad that games don't reward players for observation, exploration and curiosity anymore.

Nah, I think about it in real life from time to time too.
When I die, I don't want the world to continue going on without me.

Best powerup from any mario game ever

Nigger please, nothing beats hammer suit

I remember when I was a kid I had a bootleg cartridge in which if you opened the menu in the overworld and pressed select you could chose any power up, killing everything with the hammer suit was fun as fuck

SMB3 is not better than World.

Quality over quantity. There's three powers that are basically the same thing with one difference on each (Raccoon, Tanooki, P-Wing), a power that is crap outside of Water levels (ie. most of the game) and Yoshi surpasses Kuribo's Shoe's versitility in many ways.

Reddit detected.

Sure and you figured out all the shortcuts by yourself on your first playthrough?

What kind of faggot doesn't like being an Italian revolver ocelot?

From an objective standpoint Tetris is the best game ever made.

World had shitty art and had football chads.

3 was Italian as frick.

Yoshi is gay.

Nigga that ain't even the best Mega Man, let alone the best NES game.

Mr gimmick was boring as fuck the only thing it has going for it was the graphics, idk what hipster digged it to claim it as the MVP of the NES

Holla Forums is truly dead

Mr. Gimmick is top-tier but not as long as SMB3.

It's my favorite game, but you should still kill yourself.
Also, I fucking hate the GBA reskin.

shit-tier baiting

I liked super mario world.

Don't you have small children to talk about your knowledge of Mario with, Moviebob?

Despite the smaller screen size, pointless voice clips, and All Stars grafix if you hate those, Super Mario Advance 4 is objectively the best game. Bonus points for potentially having the ability to add levels you make with the currently non-existent level editor to an actual cart. Plus, Nintendo added all 38 levels to the Wii U version which is usually impossible. Have a patch for it, do it yourself romhacking.net/hacks/2714/

3 was better designed, but World was more fun. It's lows were lower than 3's, but it's highs were a lot higher.

So is your mother.

All these nostalgiafags thinking muh power-ups makes it a better game

Plebian.

literally the best video game ever made

I bet you didn't even get to the good ending.

/thread

Its only perfect because its so simple

To be quite honest, no.

This is.

That's really cool.

I'd agree in that I cannot find any real problems with it, but it doesn't contain a certain neutrality that I think SMB3 or SMW has. As in, I think the appeal of SMB3/SMW will be more universal than super metroid. Just on complexity and tone alone.

But otherwise I'd agree in your analysis.

I'm not even a nintendrone and i can say that SMB3 is quite possibly the best game ever made.

Have fun skipping the majority of the game. You're cheating nobody but yourself. The warps are there for when you already got that far before and want to quickly get there again so you can try to beat levels you never beat before. It was essentially a more fun way to do saving or passwords. Sonic does it in a similar way, where once you get good you can take shorter paths and speed through levels.

I know you're probably talking about the American one, and I do think that it is arguably as good as 3, but the Japanese 2 is my personal favorite. The graphics aren't as good as the American counterpart, or the sequel, but the level design is absolutely top notch, even if it doesn't seem as complex at first glance.

3 and World each improved the graphics and added more themes, gameplay elements, and secrets. The secrets in World in particular really make it stand out against the other games and make them seem inferior by comparison. But when you really sit down to beat each one, the level design was still best in Lost Levels, and that's the most important thing in a Mario game to me.

And comics. Superman has killed the sun on at least two separate occasions, he's one of the most powerful villains there is. He also saved it from other guys trying to kill it a bunch of times too. And Green Lantern brought it back to life.

But the rainbow shell is objectively better.

Sonic 3 & Knuckles is one of my personal favorites ever, but even though it's one game for the price of two, it still only has approximately as much content as SMB3. It's the only Sonic game that truly matches up with SMB3 or World, but I wouldn't say it's definitely better.

Yes.

So?

The allstars + world v1.1 Revision is probably the best version, but by no stretch of the imagination could it be considered the best, especially if you consider performance wise on the NES version the optimization was subpar.

No, this is.

SUPER MARIO BROTHERS TWO!!!!

Probably because of the limited color palette. Black is a color that will always be available, as almost every stage uses it, and the bottom status bar uses it, whereas blue not so much. Red is also reserved because Mario is red (or green if you play as luigi).

took me 12 years before i finally beat that shit
and I still had a problem with hoarding the items

i love mario 3 and itll always have a place in my heart but i think overall mario world does it better if just for all the secret paths and the bonus worlds.
while mario 3 had some secrets they just werent as grandiose

No it is not.

True.
Okay…
No it does not.
But not particularly good.
I'd disagree, but admittedly it's been a while since I played it.
Not compared to future titles.
Crash Bandicoot also stretched its disc, but nobody's gonna nominate it for best game ebber.
Super Mario 3D World.

The comparison is perfectly valid. A great technical feat clearly does not make something GOTYAY.

Also,
That's bait 101, nigger.

Am I the only one who thinks a lot of older games are a lot worse then Holla Forums seems to think?

I'm not saying they are bad, but it seems like the further back you go, the more Holla Forums overrates it or is willing to look past the obvious inadquances they have.

Maybe everybody else is just factoring in the age of the game and comparing how it was at the time vs other games at the time they came out, wheras I don't do that.

You know, SMB3 is undeniably one of the best mario games.
But I've been replaying it after some time, and I can't help but notice just how really freaking short most of the stages feel.

I mean, just look at this. It feels like you can rush it in like 10 seconds.

Funny thing is I played this game millions of times, and this only started to bother me now.

Seems to be part of it's amazing design. It looks short but while actually playing it feels far larger. Sometimes incredibly large.

A part of this seems to be because they make good use of hiding stuff. So it always feels like there is some huge hidden expanse you might be missing.

Relative to their time, games were definitely better back then as it was more of an arms race hindered by clunky systems. Relative to all time, lots of games hold up very well, particulary the ones that came out during the late NES/SNES era.

On fun factor alone, sure, but on any objective scale, the graphics, polish, amount of features/content, level of detail, music, etc, all of it is worse the further back you go.

Politely disagree, except music quality because we can't deny the fight of 8-bit vs. FLAC

Games like Super Metroid and Sonic hold up graphically due to good styling. As for amount of content, that really does depend on whether you prefer quantity or quality. Mario World/3 had a good amount of quantity and quality.
As for music, I'll give you that. Nothing beats an orchestral piece or Sanic/MGR:R buttrock. Not to say old games didn't have got-tier soundtracks, just listen to some Castlevania tracks.

No, raw fidelity obviously in terms of numbers. But more polygons does not mean they look better. Many games (especially on the SNES) were designed extremely well and are some of the best stylized designs in all gaming. Some like LttP and Super Metroid are fantastically pleasing in aesthetics, and blow away many modern games in terms of looks.

Same with "polish". This is extremely relevant to today when "polish" seems to be a forbidden word in the industry where games are being released entirely unfinished and patches slamming in content that fits awkwardly. If we follow the trend line in terms of polish, it's scary to think that we may never get back to that level of polish that we saw on older consoles. It just won't happen.

Music along with it. Higher fidelity does not necessarily imply better music. Especially when most games seem to have a soundtrack composed of duty-free music lol.

Level of detail as well. There is more detail packed into some older games that put modern games to shame. Look at Skyrim, it's a whole world with NO detail. The "open world" might as well be a giant hub. It has a million doodads but not a single important detail. Conversely, Super Mario World has so many details slammed into the design, hidden areas, background screen, and other things that it puts games like Assassins creed to shame. Or even more recently (relitve), Morrowind is probably the most detailed game ever made. When even the low-res textures on random clothes contain huge lore references, I don't know of another game with anything that can compare.

And content. Since this post has gone on long enough, I'll keep this one short: game developers can't fit single player and multiplayer into the same games anymore. You have to pay for hidden levels and unlockable costumes now. Optional bossess are downloaded from the micro-transaction store. Alternate routes don't exist because a player might not see it and the executives aren't going to spend ten million dollars on a level people might not see.

And ironically, same with features/content.

the last sentenced was supposed to be deleted