Are there any actually good survival/crafting games?

Are there any actually good survival/crafting games?
All the ones I've played tend to be shallow YouTube-bait garbage that don't actually require any complex resources or tools to do anything and have no real end-game.

Other urls found in this thread:

unrealworld.fi/
unrealsoftware.de/
8ch.net/v/res/9498085.html
wiki.terrafirmacraft.com/Clay
skyrimsurvival.com/home/last-seed/
z3.invisionfree.com/UrW_forum/index.php?s=9190e464e27660dc8c87a22875366ca8&showtopic=1818
mega.nz/#F!1MZ2BSxC!AlGc5TW92x32md2rvEmWCQ
gen.lib.rus.ec/book/index.php?md5=F802BBD6F1062801F410F5D26D423CF6
8ch.net/v/res/9696702.html
volafile.io/get/TmShPXpWw66dY/Virtual Villagers.zip
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Fuck Australia jesus christ.

Try Unreal World. It is based in iron age Finland and it is sort of roguelike. You might like it. Gameplay consists of stealing food from nearby villages, trying to build log cabins, raising cattle, fishing and such. And fighting them damn russi-, ahm, njerpez invaders. Best of all it is free nowadays.
unrealworld.fi/

Dwarf fortress adventure mode.

Minecraft BUT only with the TerraFirma mod.

It might be a little TOO spergy though.

Haven & Hearth, but the new version completely ruined that game.

Lost in Blue was alright. Don't Starve too.

I would kill for a game a bit like Firewatch (the setting, not the horrible writing) in Finnish forests, riddled with birches.

There are not enough fucking birches in games.

And you don't need any overly complex crafting stuff when you can make sticks and throw them at squirrels.

Saurian seems like a pretty good survival game

My nigga

Also, Primitive Technology's vids are great.

Why did Far Cry Primal turn out so shit? Why couldn't it have been as great as Far Cry Blood Dragon was?

NOPE

Worse than lol of legends games

I wish he made hour long videos.

I could fall asleep listening to them

This one is quite autistic, but also very good

While agree with the comments on Primitive Technology's vids, I am going to call your a total faggot for posting some kikestarter StompingLand2.0 bullshit.

You're a total faggot and get that kikestarter, The Stomping Land 2.0 bullshit out of here.

Unlike that, the devs have actually shown interest in constantly updating the game to make it as accurate as possible.

Also, don't you dare bring that up in here, this is a sacred place.

Fuck you, you talk like a shit and your shit's all fucked up.

My shit is fucked up, knowing that the closest thing I'll get to TSL is ARK, and ARK is really shitty streamer bait.

I know the Isle is a thing, but I want my tribal warfare, god damn it.

I played Empyrion a few weeks ago when they had a free weekend and really enjoyed it.

Hit that survival vibe pretty nicely, mostly because there's a hunger bar.. but it doesn't run out in a couple minutes, forcing you to gorge yourself constantly.

There was a genuine sense of progression as I built up my base and worked my way up to building a wobbly little ship to fly around the planet in search of materials.

The game is still very much an alpha / early access game, so I didn't buy it. There's some seriously stupid shit about that game, like NPC bases that can snipe you with rocket launchers from 500m away, and drones that will hover around your corpse and kill you as soon as you respawn, or the fact that your whole screen goes dark when you take damage, so you just end up getting killed more easily.

Either way, it's one I'm keeping an eye on. If they unfuck some of those problems, it seems like it would be a neat game.

Best fucking mod ive seen to date.
I dont suppose its still being worked on, is it?

It might not be much help but I found out survival games where you manage a town a lot of fun.
By which I mean games like Banished or Gnomoria. Dorf Fort is too autistic for me.

Not really survival games besides Banished, but I really love to look at these Gnomes trying to survive goblins attacks.

Damn I didn't knew it is free.
I waited all this time for it to get under 50 cents on Steam.

I check their site and the last update was like 3 days ago and was a bugfix, so yeah.

It's still being worked on.

Have you tried The Long Dark, devs have lied to us about releasing story mode so far. However, they keep updating the game to kinda make up for it.

WHAT AM I DOING HERE?!

I gotta find that website right now.

Well, I think the best survival game in the market that is arround is 7 Days to Die.

If you don't mind zombies you have a great ride for you to look foward. Sadly, like all that kind of games, it is more interesting when you are playing with friends.

This is the only way to play minecraft, how it was meant to be: A quasi-dorfort mod which involves lots of autism and non-casualized bullshit like magic and shit like that.

I still wish they changed hostile surface mobs, they kinda don't fit. It'd be cooler to have like a mix between TFC and that millenaire mod.Add bandit and gobbo camps on the surface and normal vanilla hostile mobs to the caves.

They are selling it on Steam as alternative to donating, as it was requested a lot for some reason. The free version is exactly the same as the version on Steam.

I thought so, Borderless Gaming is doing same thing.
I might actually buy the borderless one day, I am using it pretty much constantly.

For people requesting it, I can kinda see why. You will get updates automatically and will have easy way of downloading it.
I am forced to have Steam running constantly so I might as well use this bloody thing.

the forest looked like the most polished version of dayz so far

Lost in blue

Shit is best shipwreck game

Does banished count?

TFC is pretty goddamn good.
I wish I could stay interested in it, it's got alot of depth

Was about to ask about this, how's The Forest?

I'm looking forward to no man's sky.

I've never heard of this, sell me on it.

Neo Scavenger is pretty good if you like freezing to death

Just play Space Engine

I do, but NMS seems to be a direct upgrade and that's why i'm excited

I don't care if as a game it ends up being meh, it looks like a 10/10 comfy exploration tool and wallpaper desktop generator

A mod for minecraft that makes shit actually interesting and more realistic. For example you dont get leather from just killing animals anymore but instead they drop hide that you have to soak, scrape and tan before you actually get leather. And all of that minus the scraping takes like 8 ingame hours each because you have to seal it in a barrel with the stuff. Id say everything is harder in a way but because of that way more fun. Be prepared to check the wiki often though because it gets autismal. Not as autismal as tekkit shit though. I could go on and on about the various features which make it amazing but I think leaving some of it up for you to discover yourself would be better.
Have fun.

I can see why people would enjoy that, I primarily just use minecraft as an ambient exploration thing.

It's something I might check out eventually, though.

There's an awful lot to cover and I need to head to bed, but the basic jist is that it turns minecraft into prehistory to iron age game, completely reworking how you gather supplies, farm and survive.

Rather than shoving things in a pattern in a crafting table you activate a material as sculpt what you want from it, a good example is stone. You gather these new little rocks and knap the needed tool from it and combine it with a stick you've gathered. If you want to make some metal tools then you have to gather clay to make a pot to smelt in a earth kiln to make it a liquid then pour that into a clay mold you cooked earlier. You have to cut grass to make thatch which will make up most of what you'll be living it because other blocks are affected gravity and it'll be a while before you make a copper saw to make wooden blocks from the logs you cut down with your, presumably, stone axe. This is all while foraging what you can but never more than you need while growing your own crops on soil that suitable for that crop to grow on in the season it grows and stocking up for the winter because it'll be hard. You'll eventually want to make armour but first you'll need to built a barrel to soak the hide in, the scrape it and tan it before you'll get the leather to make the starter stuff, because lord knows the blacksmithing system is complex.

And hell don't even get me started on the metallurgy system. All I know how to mix is the right amounts of copper and tin to get bronze and then I usually die, and that just requires you to pour the liquid mixture into a mold before it cools down enough to set. I haven't even been able to get into the blacksmithing system.

It would be easier if you found a 'lets play' that didn't annoy you to study it. There are a few okay ones on youtube.

TL;DR; imagine minecraft but with the right amount of autism and complexity to make it enjoyable

I've enjoyed Neo-Scavenger greatly. Had a good system going on before I got destroyed by the Merga Wraith.

Oh wait, I forgot, thatch is walk-throughable now. Hopefully you'll find a cave to survive in.

Don't Starve is the only one I've found.

It has a heavy emphasis on survival, and backpacks full of gear and fresh tampons aren't around every corner like in DayZ or Rust.

You have to build everything you have from like 5 core ingredients. I showed two friends of mine the game (co-op) and we played for 12 hours in 2 days.

It's seriously addictive and fun, just the resource management aspect of it is exciting.

Is it really that bad?

Never in history has comfy is a code word for empty been more accurate than when describing NMS.

Speaking of metalworking.

What's not to love about that image?

Man I've forgotten how complex this game can be.
Man, this is making my dick hard.

Unreal world is the best, cataclysm dda was the best until it was infected with sjw. Haven and hearth was kinda good. In "russians will murder you and break everything you build" way.

What doesn't Ark do that TSL does?

Also DF is walking in that direction but I doubt it will surpass unreal world in terms of crafting survival game.

It was til they fixed the payment model.

Enemies only aggro you through thatch if they have seen your fatass before then, so if you barricade yourself in your home before hand you are good. Either way a raw log and thatch hut with a 2x2 interior will suffice until you are able to cast reliably.

Also another friendly tip: you'll want three tools when you begin mining: a prospector's pick to find the ore, an actual pickaxe to dig with, and a saw to make a gorillion wood supports so the mine doesn't collapse on your face. Anything less will either result in disappoint or death

Honestly OP there isn't really a solid survival game yet because the genre is still in it's infancy.

All the great survival games I'm aware of are still in Alpha and as such really aren't worth talking about.

Once the first wave of these get finished, then we might get a few gems out of it, but it's really a wait and see because a true survival game requires a lot of coding otherwise you end up with something lacking depth or pseudo survival (which can also be fun, but isn't really the apex of what this genre is going for).

The only two survival games I've been playing that I see promise in are 7 Days to Die and Empyrion, both because their core concepts are strong and the developers seem willing to make something harsh. That said both have issues right now, and I'm not even talking about all the bugs because it's an Alpha, I'm talking about the lack of a real endgame. While both games are working on their endgame, they're impossible to recommend at this point while they still rely on this weak "make your own fun" structure. Still, maybe something to look at when they hit Beta or release.

Still, the roots of this genre lie in mods for other games, and some of those mods are quite well fleshed out so maybe check those out. For example basically any Bethesda Soft game has had a mod for realistic needs and Skyrim even featured cold weather survival. Granted in those games food is everywhere so it's not quite as difficult, but Skyrim with needs and frostfall (and other mods to support the style such as camping) is probably the most fleshed out survival game I've played. Mind you, I know there are better examples, but I haven't tried them so I can't recommend them.

Fucking plebeians.

Fucking tryhards.

I remember rekkin it's shit with a fucking spear, because I had the whole expose weakness thing from the legendary perk

S T R A N D E D 2=
T
R
A
N
D
E
D

Stranded 3 eventually

Oh shit, I remember this game being pretty good.

How is it? Any official source on where/how to get it, or am I better off pirating?

right here
unrealsoftware.de/

Ma nigga, only way to play Minecraft. I haven't played mInecraft in years, what's the easiest way to pirate it now?

After playing both TSL and ARK really are different games. TSL was far less handholding and crazy woo technology whatever you want here. TSL was grittier. You survived. You maybe made a tent. You killed people, and there were dinos. Thats about it. ARK is campier, more colorful, and although neither were hardcore, I would say ARK is far more casual to the point that I find it really boring.

This

interested too.
never played minecraft, but terrafirma seems interesting

i don't care what anyone says, 7 days to die is actually pretty enjoyable as a single-player/co-op game. i like that it lets you choose to either build a base or just fortify a house, i like that it lets you deform the land to your liking (I like to dig spike moats around my base of operations; it's comfy and effective) and i like that there is actually a noticeable arc of gameplay where you aren't just poof! the unkillable survival king, you slowly work your way there by digging, building, killing, looting etc

that said i have never and will never play it as a pvp game, so maybe i'm missing something that makes it truly great or truly shit, but i enjoy it. i'd say it's worth ten bucks on sale

If you're comfortable with embracing your true autism, Factorio is pretty damn good.

Dude, it's Minecraft with zombies.
It's shit.

Its not survival.

"This meat…

It's like good, fully developed veal. Not young, but not yet beef. Yes, very definitely like that, and not like any other meat you've tasted. In fact, so much so that you think no person with a palate of ordinary, normal sensitiveness could distinguish it from veal. It is mild, good meat, with no other sharply defined or highly characteristic taste such as, for instance, goat, high game, and pork have.

The steak is slightly tougher than prime veal, a little stringy, but not too tough or stringy to be agreeably edible. The roast is tender, and in color, texture, smell as well as taste, strengthens your certainty that of all the meats you habitually know, veal is the one meat to which this meat is accurately comparable."

I don't get how people get into factorio when all your conveyor belts get backed up because theres nothing to do with what you produce except make more things to produce more things for no reason.
The game desperately needs a contract system or something where you can actually sell the stuff you make so all your belts aren't just getting backed up.

Oh man, that brings me back. I can't believe this guys still working on S3. It's been like 4 years now, is he ever gonna fucking finish it?

Uploaded on May 23, 2009

>nothing to do with what you produce except make more things
Rockets to do with what you produce except make more rockets.

Also if you have any problems with conveyor belts, you can go drones.

That only really happens once you get to the end of the game.

If your conveyors are backed up before then, it's because you've done a poor job of laying out your factory, and you're not making enough science.

Cataclysm DDA has a pretty autistic and robust crafting and survival system in a zombie/Lovecraft apocalypse. Only problem (for the people who avoid the community at least) is that after a week of hard surviving you get self sufficient that you can be lazy and get away with doing stupid shit (like building a death-mobile by hand out of a VW beetle and 6 bicycles/downing a barrel of mutagen/becoming a DIY cyborg/all of the above)

Minecraft has zombies, retard.

It's far different from Minecraft and I know you haven't played it just because you tried to imply that's what it was.

Did Stranded Deep ever amount to anything?

How is Subnautica? Just another early access failure?

I wouldn't say failure, especially when compared to actual early access failures, but it's early access alright. I'd say the lack of "prodecurally generated" buzzword puts it strictly in pirate and see for yourself category.

why they always overpower dogs? wild dogs always make kamikaze atacks on early game, even if they have 4 stabs on different parts of it's body it keeps going, how can an animal keep struggling whit a perforated lung?

god the frist world is scared of dogs

It's not gonna be any emptier then minecraft or Space engine.

Skyrim w/ frostfall, hunterborn, RNAD, live another life, and requiem.
Currently trying to find a good hearthfire mod to build a cabin by dawnstar.

I like the forest a lot, but it's more about spelunking than surviving

I remember playing that and searching for more, ending up stumbling into MC early on and continually being more and more disappointed. Wish Stranded Deep was better, it runs decently but it's bare bones, buggy and the small islands force a lot of artificial exploration.

Anthony and Ashley are more than enough.

It is actually really great. One of the few indie games that I ended up paying for, the devs are also very responsive to criticism too and come up with content and fixes fairly often. It needs a good random map generator, some improvements to gun play and the long neglected map creator (so that we can play on user made maps). Other than that, it is pretty solid and it runs alright.

Subnautica's biggest draw for me is deep ocean spoops and exploring a well-made, non-procedural map. That's the meat of the sandwich, the survival and crafting is the bread. I'd really love to see crazy detailed wildlife behavior, they've already got basic schooling, different activities based on time of day, predation, and those shark things in the shallows will play with ship debris.

You can make some bitchin' comfy bases, though.

I certainly enjoyed Don't Starve, but that's a cartoony game with weird shit and not realistic at all if that's what you seek.

As other anons have said I have heard good things about 7 Days to Die, good enough that it sounds like the only decent sandbox-survival-with-zombies game. Sure wish Project Zomboid stopped being fucked to offer it some competition.

What's up with PZ? I've not followed it's development in years

They said they got robbed and lost all their work.

Twice.

It's been in early-access for two and a half years and it progresses at a snail's pace.

Remember: It's Java.

Carmack probably does masturbate to raw code.
He seems like that kind of guy.

Survive The Nights is looking like it'll be a cool game, but I don't really expect it to be much different from the normal fare.

Space Engineers has a pretty fun survival mode. We need to get the Holla Forums server back up some time.

Ark was fun last time I played.

Barren Roads seems cool.

#LEWD
L
E
W
D

If only it didn't ran like utter shit.

Okay, forget code.
How about raw data?

because Blood Dragon didnt give a shit and had Michael Beihn

That game itself is fucking shit. Great concept but why the fuck they made it into an idle game I will never know.
It is only good with friends and similarly geared enemies. We played it for a while on Holla Forums but got rekt by russians three times.

Wurm online is like Primitive Technologies Simulator, OP. We have a thread for it here:

8ch.net/v/res/9498085.html

We have a settlement on a pirate server. I'm building a rice farm.

Fucking chinks are everywhere

You can always join ABANA and learn actual blacksmithing.

Space station 13

Unturned is actually pretty comfy tbh.

Empyrion(Space minecraft with decent graphics, terrain deformation and frequent updates)
Savage Lands(BE A VIKING STRANDED ON A FROZEN ISLAND)

I've only ever played it with friends on private servers.

Yeah gonna second this. Wurm Online and Wurm Unlimited are pretty interesting games. Too bad the combat is shit… but the rest is decent.

Wurm Online only lets you get to level 20 in your skills unless you pay monthly fee. Wurm Unlimited is a one-time buy and you can host your own server or join other people's custom servers… but you can't join the main MMO. Up to you how you want to play the game, because otherwise they're basically identical.

Why hasn't MegaTen touched the survival genre yet?
It's a perfect match waiting to happen.

the forest is pretty good, you have to cut down trees, and carry the logs to make a base.

Dwarf fortress, the endgame involves a circus.

I'm trying to play terrafirma but this error keeps popping up, I never was into minecraft mods so I don't know what the fuck I'm doing, I'm also very tired.

Yes, I'm playing pirate

I've got a minecraft with over 100 mods, I don't feel like figuring this shit out. Is there an installer/mod pack with terra firma?

You need minecraft scaled back to 1.7.10 and Forge. Then you just bung the mod into the mod folder. That's all.

You need to install that forge thing, I just went through that shit.

There's a section on the terrafirma page for installation.

Trying out the terrafirma mod, this is the most pain in the ass shit possible, why can't I build anything? The crafting menu for clay doesn't produce shit yet still takes my clay

use the wiki, its not that hard

The wiki's layout is fuckin retarded though
Finally figured it out, they're claystone ROCKS, not CLAYstone socks

Clay is the reverse of knapping. You are making a indentation, not chipping away.

How you can be having difficulty figuring out the clay page on the wiki, it's very straight forward: wiki.terrafirmacraft.com/Clay

Yes, you have to read what the material is before trying to use it, because some materials are used differently than others.

That was the thing, the bug only happens in 1.9.x versions, thanks man, and you weren't even responding me.

Fixed, explained above, thanks for trying anyway.

NAh, it's pretty shit, even for a voxel game. Zombies are retarded and everything reeks of horrible design, especially with the shit-tier crafting and item availability.

Figured it'd be more complicated given its size. Any mods I should grab to add to it?

Aw shit now we're getting somewhere
Time to chop down some muthafuckin trees

I just finished making usable Vessels (1 Large, 2 Small) and a couple jugs for fresh water I haven't found yet.

Log house with Thatch Roof/Door, living on Mutton and Seaweed.

Shitty that you can't sleep in stone-age.

A minimap mod with placeable markers makes life a thousand times easier.

It'll have cattail reeds in it, unless it's bugged.

If you can't drink from water that has cattail reeds in it then close down the game and start it up again. I made 6 worlds and died of dehydration before figuring that one out.

That ain't the problem, I just can't find the damn water.

Thinking of just getting Large Vessels to catch that shit. Rains nice where I am.

Wouldn't using Last Seed be better than RNAD?

skyrimsurvival.com/home/last-seed/

dingu

ask anons "what's wrong with the survival genre and how to fix it?" and the thread will bump itself

One problem I imagine is that there is no realistic way of managing resources. Gathering materials really only amounts to grinding, same with food, water, etc. Basically a system where you have to be careful not to kill off too many of a single animal allowing it to continue breeding would probably be better. Also damage needs t be done in a realistic way to in order to encourage gathering of special plants and materials for wounds. Sure you killed that bear, but you have been wounded and need to patch yourself up before you bleed out. Stuff like that

The Long Dark sort of does that, particularly with the update that made it so you have to actually go out and get wood instead of stepping outside and pressing a button. I don't know about stuff like conserving animals but all the other stuff you've listed is in there

One cool thing would be finding AI that could interact with you, either helping or trying to kill you.

Like Wurm or Heaven and Hearth but with bots and less grinding due to timeskip possibilities

Btw, are there any Survival RTS? The only one I can think of is Banished and Dwarf Fortress. I remember one that you controlled a tribe and you had to micromanage their roles and making them reproduce, but the real goal was solving the puzzles on the island even if that took generations
I think reproduction mechanics are underrated, just try to imagine how could you make a civilization flourish from a single village and having hereditary characteristics from the founders.

Fix'd. Sorry, I'm sleepy.

what's wrong with the survival genre and how to fix it

huh. guess it doesn't work

It's dead just like the Survival genre

No, this whole genre is a meme

Memed to death

it was always shit. the grinding is so fucking absurd that I'm literally doing H&H stuff in real life faster than in the game.

For good reason.

Good luck finding a lot of this stuff.

That guy is a finn and my understanding is that bog ore is at least somewhat common-ish in the inland lakes.

I love me some Tony Robinson. Like damn I could listen to him for hours.

Awww yisss, my nigga

There's a couple of self-sufficiency mods, including iron forging and booze making but you'll have to modify them a bit since the mods were made for previous version, it's quite simple procedure though.

This is how I pass time in URW

Any mods to make it stone age only?

you could make it yourself, remove the non-stoneage vanilla item

z3.invisionfree.com/UrW_forum/index.php?s=9190e464e27660dc8c87a22875366ca8&showtopic=1818

be warned, chopping firewood with stone axe takes a lot of time

SPOONFEED ME ON X

I was going to suggest this.

Comfy and fuck

a little tip, when you fight a person use a woodcutting axe on their neck to kill them instantly

I played the hell out of it until i realized that sneaking up on guards in Detroit killing them is the best way to get the best gear and loads a money it wrecked the game for me.

Bushcraft Foraging in the Woodland
MCQBushcraft

Well it's not video games user but I understand what you're doing.

Debatable. It was pretty good sometimes, then it would throw that fucking cat thing at you and it was more annoying to deal with than anything.

Also a 45 degree slope will send you rocketing forward and flinging yourself in a random direction.

Ogod, I want to see that user. I want some ideas for terraria.

The book is called Cabin Porn: Inspiration For Your Quiet Place Somewhere.

I haven't found a pdf for it.

Just use the Guards at Detroit as cannon fodder.

i really want a green roof. I wonder how long they last.

If you treat them like a normal lawn then they last as long as a normal lawn.

My local museum/art house has one.

not the grass, the underlying roof.

hmmmm

The trick is to make it out of plastic. Then it will last forever.

What said.

Hell, even just on ceramic roof tiles would work. Plants grow fucking crazy normal in ceramic pots all the time.

I'm no architect but it looks like that house is practically inviting mold considering how damp everything looks.

Or homeowner, as it has clearly been abandoned for quite some time.

I figured it was one of those hippie escapes.

Name? I'm curious now.

So anyone got anymore stories on Neo scavenger deciding if I should pirate it

bump for name, I'm curious too

Can you link what pirate launcher are you using? Using the TeamExtreme one for 1.7.10 and I can't even get Forge to install properly, it throws up errors trying to path to files that aren't even there (No, there's no log4j/Levels, Forge, stop trying to find it).

So no stories?

so, how many here would play a game with permanent death?

imagine dayz Mod gunplay, and 7 days to die base building.

the kicker is that you die once, you are done. no new character, you are banned for 24 hours from that server, loot is abundant on server start. it would be Day 0 litterally. There would be NPCs and the military base would have a npc army protecting it.

as time goes on, loot does not respawn. so if someome raids the grocery stores, they would have all the food but no way to really defend it. same with military base. they would have guns but be starving.

it would either make wars, or people would trade. and the server admins would have ability to unban, if a hacker went around killing. however it would publicly announce when a player is unbanned, to hopefully deter any abuse.

so its a rudimentary idea but would you play it? i really want something to stop the KOS mentality of these games. i want a survival simulator.

I would play it

a better way to describe its gameplay style would basicallybe project zomboid mixed with Arma 2 Dayz.

Do you have brain damage? What you described would lead to every encounter being KOS.

Unreal World
Cataclysm DDA (with the mod that disables all the fuckhorrible community content like fursuits and dragon dildos what the fuck is wrong with that disgusting community jesus christ)

That's about it, really.

I love Ark, but is it really streamer bait?

After a minute on Google, you're probably right

Every single early access survivor game is "streambait". ARK is better than the rest by far, but it's still not even close to done and I wouldn't recommend buying it yet.

The only way to stop KOS behavior would be to have some kind of nanny-AI watching every single player interaction, punishing players who are unduly aggressive while rewarding players who are aggressive in self-defense.

But that would be fucking shit, just like nanny states in real life. Those MP survival games are only compelling because of the constant threat of someone sticking a cock through the back of your head and blowing your hours of autistic progress all over your shitty little shelter.

I played DayZ like an E&E sim, running at people yelling "friendly friendly" is for retards.

trusting human beings who you haven't initiated into your tribe through a series of intense hazing rituals is for retards, but once a tribe is established PvP survival really gets good

omfg god made irl imba he should ban these griffers

yeah, I don't know why people think it's a good idea to announce their presence, let alone utter shit like "friendly friendly"
all "friendly" means is "easy target"

Banished with Colonial Charter mod has some advantages.

Also, Elona is a JRPG with many of these aspects.

say what?
we really don't share the same philosophy

Virtual villagers?

I think that's the game he was talking about

I'm working on one, suggestions?

Waifus

I notice some people posted NEO Scavenger, and I'm also recommending it.

It's pretty good, the crafting system has a shitload of stuff to make, the exploration is tense at times, and there's even a story if you care enough to go through with it, but you can also just innawoods to your heart's content. Only major downside to it is that some of the traits/perks are entirely pointless if you don't want to die like a bitch in the first 5 minutes, but even then I think someone made a balance mod a while back.

It's also one of the few games I've seen survive the early access bullshit relatively unscathed, besides maybe spending a bit too much time indev.

I tried Tfc. What other mods work well with it? I to expand my autism.

Have any stories user?

this guy again, I think asking for what not to do is probably more productive, specially on Holla Forums.
what pitfalls to avoid?

out of all the surival games i've played the only one I like so far is The Long Dark.

No waifus

loot being literally everywhere.
making early game too short, mid game too long, and end-game impossible to get.

basically, dont make a rust clone

I hear Fallout 4 has a good crafting system, aside from crafting your homestead you can also craft the story to your liking and either kill your son who is the villain of the game or nuke the commonwealth.

Dont think Ive seen an EA game improve so much.

Yeah, but it's still my favorite of the 'zombie survival' games. They've really added a lot, and with the city falling apart and growing over around you, it really does encourage a LMoE mindset.

Why even bother surviving if there are no waifus? You're removing ulterior goal of happy ending with waifu if waifus are gone.

I'm utterly amazed by how bad that game runs considering how it looks.

A game where you're a primitive trying to survive in a world where everyone is smarter and more technologically savvy than you, with a global communication grid, satellites, and projectile weaponry?

I don't see that ending well for the player.

What I'd like to see is a sci-fi survival game that isn't shit.

I feel that most survival games lack a satisfactory endgame, which sounds dumb when you think about the fact that it's a sandbox and why should there be an endgame, what are you retarded or something. But I think the endgame for a survival game should come when the player is able to master their environment, let their autism flow to build things beyond the basic mud huts they've been living in, putting an ever-increasing mark on the world.

That's why I think a decent sci-fi survival game could pull this off. Too many (read: all) survival games are focused entirely on the primitive end of things, banging sticks and stones together until you get the ability to bang stones and metal together, and never letting you progress meaningfully beyond this. The main problem that I feel most survival games have is that, as a player of these games, you're pretty much forced to do everything by hand. This makes sense in context, of course, but how many times have your grand visions gone kaput because you realized how many resources you were actually going to need to finish your cathedral of autism?

So picture this. Super simple premise, your ship crashes on this random planet, your comms are shattered, and it's time to survive. However, while the early game is still the primitive stuff you've come to expect, the mid and late game is where things change. See, your ship's replicator still works, and once you can get the resources to restore power to it, you can feed it raw materials and get more advanced items, like robotic assistants to gather resources or harvest crops, automatic mines you can deploy at ore seams, vehicles to make exploration easier, and of course better building materials, tools, and weapons. Plenty of recipes involving rare materials you have to try and track down as well.

The idea behind this is that, once you've mastered the primitive shit, you're given the tools to give you greater control over the world around you. Instead of having to manually mine a thousand stone blocks just to build a simple wall, have your robot miners do it for you! Then you can focus on exploration, crafting, and building without getting bogged down by tedium. I'm aware some people like the tedium, but there are a hundred other games that provide boatloads of it, so whatever.

I like when there's at least some story, so there could always be lore-related items you could discover while you're out and about, like the records of a long-lost alien civilization or black boxes from other crashed ships, things like that. I think it adds to the immersion, but maybe keeping it fully optional and not gating anything behind it for those who don't care. Or then again, it could also be fun to hide special items behind these things. I dunno!

You can also choose to "end" the game at any time by building a new set of comms and reconnecting with civilization, but I think it would make sense to also let you keep playing afterwards. And of course, you can always just dick around and build your own world and say fuck you to civilization.

The game would also keep track of your progress through various metrics (how far in the tech tree you are, what you've built, and other such things) and use that to determine how difficult the game world should be. That way, you're not swarmed by a horde of aliums when you're still living in a mud hut in the first week, nor are you facing off against nothing but sewer rats when you've been on the planet for a year.

I dunno, it was just a thought I had while survival games were on my mind a while ago. I just feel like there's a better way than the hundred variations on the mud-huts-and-stone-tools shit we've been given for years now, but as long as these games continue to be presented with a "realistic" premise, it doesn't make sense to let you do the crazy things like I mentioned.

isn't Holla Forums playing that wurm game together as we speak? i hear it's pure crafting autism. search for the thread.

Yes a few days ago a group of people decided to push an alter of the gods into the sea. It crashed the server right after they pulled it off.

i found a 3 part rar epub of it. had to use two proxies to get past the retarded time limit for multiple files and learn how to convert to PDF so you can read it normally. the format isn't very attractive since i've never done it before and i didn't have to patience to try out and play with all the settings but it's not unbearable either. if you know how to do it better, get the epub and convert it yourself.

enjoy.
mega.nz/#F!1MZ2BSxC!AlGc5TW92x32md2rvEmWCQ

Ask the German anons here. They probably have a wilderness survival simulator right next to their truck driver and cashier simulators.

It might not be that game but Black & White 1 and 2 had that vibe.

Ty user.

Wouldn't that be illegal in their country?

Got you covered, fam.
gen.lib.rus.ec/book/index.php?md5=F802BBD6F1062801F410F5D26D423CF6

Is it From Dust?

Take a look at Neo Scavenger. It's a little light on content but there's a bunch of mods out there. Endgame gear consists of gauss rifles and prosthetic eyes and not much else

np, bud.

Masterwork DF has a hermit mode, but I've heard it's kinda over powered. How do I get masterwork working on Linux? Every time I try to boot it up, it says that one of the graphics files is missing, but it isn't.

Bam

very nice thanks

Also, few things more satisfying than killing a gun-toting bandit with a rock, stealing his shit and then eating him.

Anymore stories b0ss?

Noice

Comfy white people feels.

Too bad those will be amazing targets for rapefugees, all those kids and probably female teachers in the woods makes for easy prizes

What the fuck is up with ARK

Why does it run so shit

Why does it run shittier than Space Engineers with 1km long ships and dynamic lights all over it

Why would the devs show it off in a booth at PAX when I couldn't even play it for longer than 2 minutes due to framerate and had no idea what I was even meant to do

?

HOLY SHIT YOU REMEMBERED IT

Here's the answer,

I'm amazed this thread is still alive

TeamExtreme Launcher 3.5.1

I thought the main problem was the forge version thought, I had another launcher that I deleted because I thought that was the problem

Its always fun to forget about your village for a few days and comeback to thousands of techpoints and a town center full of skeletons.

I remember this shit. I ended up fucking up a family tree pretty. Any other Survival RTS?

Sounds like Factorio.
Except the 'banging rocks together' phase lasts all of about thirty seconds.

Nope. That's it, I'm making one.

Unrelated but I fucking love this channel so much.

Pirated that and enjoyed it so much I had to buy it, the update schedule puts most EA devs to shame

And that was when I realised The Forest isn't a survival game at all, it's actually Going Native Sim: Comfy Powertrip Edition

Forgot my mancave

I suppose in a way, except the object is less "build a factory to pump out a billion products" and more "here's some better tools than rocks, now make something cool."

I mean, as much fun as the whole "scrounge whatever you can to survive in this wasteland" thing is (at least the first couple times you've played it), I just feel like it really limits what you can do. It's an instance where I'd like at least one game in the genre to be a lot less realistic.

What are the best mechanics you have seen in a survival game?

Miasmata's mapping mechanic.

You damn rite

Which survival game has the best trap-building mechanics?

Tekkit (specifically IC2 and Buildcraft pipes) aren't that bad.
It's fun having a solar powered battery, which fuels your quarry machine that automines a 64 chunk region, destroying all the useless stone, dirt, and gravel blocks into recyclable material, then having it autosort things for further processing.

Life

Reasonably sure that barrell looking one is a sauna.

Wasn't this game good in EA and then they scrapped it and made a new game for the actual launch.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA, very funny. up voted , friend :)

Shhh don't spread his channel around. I really fucking live this guy abd he's fairly small time.

I'm pretty sure he's going to remain small-time anyway. I mean, some of his more complicated projects take months to finish, it's not like he's going to churn out a video every day, or even every week, with some dumb clickbait title and starting with "WWWWWWWWWHAT'S UP GUYS IT'S YOUR BOY PRIMITIVE TECHNOLOGY HERE" It's clearly something he loves to do, not something he does only for Youtube bux.

I wouldn't be worried. Just enjoy that others are getting exposed to an interesting channel.

Where are these types of houses located?

Regardless of whether they're gay or not they are just accept it we do make good traps.

In the woods fam.

I wasn't aware that we were talking about people and he is still pretty ugly

well, in Unreal World you can build pit trap (with or without spikes), loop snares, four kind of deadfall traps, and fox trap.

filthy casual

Customization of vehicles

Nice sage.

ARK Survival is free though and I enjoy chucking spears into peoples faces.

17 days and this is still alive.

Talk about survival.

So, they announced this at E3:

Eden Star is pretty good, hopefully it actually gets finished.

Am actually looking forward to that game. Like the design of the humans and those coppers, holy hell. Hope they can pull it off well.

If the urban survival elements are indepth enough, this might make for a fun game instead of a just a walking simulator.

wurm online
8ch.net/v/res/9696702.html

Free as in "I used my mother's credit card to buy it"?

It's common to sage when your post isn't being relevant to the thread.
That's what sage was intended for. It's the rōmaji of the word "下げる"; which (in this context) loosely translates to "to keep down".

lol okay

Maybe it is a good thing muzzies are taking over as long as they get rid of all the queers.

Is The Forest good now?
Last time I tried it, it was interesting but it was too buggy to be enjoyable.
Is it still in Earl Access?

Mudslimes can't execute faggots in the wilderness, because of the lack of tall buildings.

Checkmate semites.

Wurm Online. Shit on its graphics and grind and jewery by Rolf all you want, but it is the best example of a game focused on building, terramorphing, crafting and improving your tools.

I found a dev playthrough on youtube, it's quite different than the cinematic "gameplay" they showed at E3, guess they just wanted to grab attention or something.

Also, it's procedurally generated, didn't expect that.

1/9

2/9

3/9

I'm doing it.

I had fun with it but its still a buggy mess with not much to do beyond build a little fort and fight off shit skins with fire and spears.

Watch this webm and feel fucking ashamed at your compression knowledge, or lack thereof.

HOW

that trailer made me cringe so hard the entire game just screams bioshock rip off and tumblr, fuck that.

you quit rice man? or did you just abandon your farm?

5/9

How the fuck I get better?

And that's almost audio only.

It made me suspicious since the proposal and the "gameplay" were so dissonant.

From these segments, this looks like "run around in the park and beat up chavs" simulator.

Holy shit how

6/9

It's supposed to be "beat up chavs, steal food, get high and try to escape"

Don't be too blown away. It's a low FPS, low bitrate, low RES render of the same qualities.Of course you can squeeze a lot out of it. Try using the same settings on a real vid, especially of gameplay, and it'll look like garbage.

7/9

8/9

9/9

This remind me too much of The Forest,even the fucking sound.

fucking saved, thx m8

Rust was good before they removed the zombies.

Don't Starve is the only other good one, really. Unless you count Terraria.

While they did 'remove the zombies' as you put it, all they did was change the zombies into other species. I mean really if you replace the models in-game with zombie models, it's the same game and works the exact same. They didn't change the behaviour of things, they still behave the same, all they did was change their looks.

user, have you seen the game lately? When they removed zombies is when they made the decision that they wanted to take the game in a different direction. A very shitty direction.

Yeah and then they did rewrote the code for the game from the ground up. What I mean is IT'S STILL THE SAME GAME when it comes to the animals, their behavior models hasn't changed any.

volafile.io/get/TmShPXpWw66dY/Virtual Villagers.zip

Who here wants a TerraFirma serb?

This is going to sound retarded, but survival games aren't actually about surviving, they're about tech advancement, comfy base building, and exploration. In that sense, they're really a sub-genre of adventure games.

In a basic survival game, a player will start off by forging basic tech, building a base, and then go off exploring in search of goodies/new materials. When they're satisfied, they will return home, upgrade their tech/improve their base, and so the cycle continues. What's important to note, however, is that each of these three rungs of gameplay should be made equally satisfying. Tech advancement is satisfying because it provides new toys for use in base building and exploration, base building is satisfying because it provides security and respite from the survival mechanics (or alternatively, a means of expressing creativity), and exploration is satisfying because of all the reasons a typical adventure game is enjoyable, with the added bonus of having a variety of meaningful loot to collect.

My advice is this. In making your game, try to ask yourself every once in a while whether tech advancement, base building, and exploration are all, in some way, rewarding for the player to engage in. If you want more specific advice, I see a lot of survival games nowadays nail the tech and base building, but fall into the trap of providing a relatively uninteresting world that serves only as an avenue to gather resources. Make creative environments, bizzare creatures, and dangerous challenges that reward players with loot so that exploration feels like less of a exercise in resource collecting tedium, and more like jumping into the deep end of an unknown, possibly deadly, but ultimately interesting world.

Hope I helped.

Bumplocku

Dwarf Fortress, obviously.

What a based user.

The Forest is breddy gud, if not a little sparse content/gameplay wise at the moment. There's still many hours of fun to be had, especially with a friend. It's more tense and "scary" if you play alone, it's easy to get overtaken by a sudden horde of cannibals, but with a friend once you've crafted/obtained decent weapons you're basically a two-man army and pave the island with the skulls of the natives.

For those who are curious, the island is a survival game that basically goes like this:

It's definitely worth a good many an hour of play, although I wouldn't call it complete, but the devs actually accomplish shit on a regular basis. I think it's more an exploration game with horror elements. The survival aspect is one of those things where its challenging when you have no idea what's going on but easy if you do. Also the cave system that runs under the entire island is massive and takes hours to fully map out.

wait what, is this thread not able to be bumped? why?

Bump limit is 300 user it was an honor to post with all of you.

What teh fuck are you smoking?

They announced it last year, not this year.

WOW REALLY?

i don't think he means in terms of gameplay, just aesthetics, and judging from the webms here he's right

it's very dystopian vintage 1940s-ish, just like Bioshock. Almost stepford wives-y, a stylized world that's gone to shit but everyone is stoned out of their fucking gourds and if you aren't one of them, they attack you.