What are some RPGs/action RPGs other than Arcanum that let you play as a crafty engeneer who crafts traps and...

What are some RPGs/action RPGs other than Arcanum that let you play as a crafty engeneer who crafts traps and explosives and goes in combat setting up ambushes and landmines? I only remember KOTORs having some nice explosives and probably demolitioner class from Grim Dawn. I also remember various traps existing in NWN 2, but I've never tried that kind of gameplay because as far as I remember, sneaking sucks in that game. Am I wrong?
Hardmode: what are RPGs/action RPGs that have this kind of character as a viable option?

Is that Spoony?

Yes, that's Spoony's new face shopped onto the Jesuotaku's selphies.

C'mon guys, I don't believe I'm the only one who plays engeneer-type of characters in games.

da:origins has lots of traps. maybe Silent Storm, it has lots of booby traps, mines etc etc stealth is a key there.

Thanks, I will check the Silent Storm out. As for da:origins, I remember it being kind of lame with alchemy and trap crafting, it seemed too linear and simple. But again, never tried it, so might be wrong.

New Vegas has a pretty nice list of craftable explosives, especially with all the DLC installed.

Probably Fallout, Serious Sam. I also think Mass Effect had an engineer class but don't remember how it was

Not Serious Sam. I meant System Shock

fallout 4

Not really, the explosive perk is essentially used to increase the damage of weapons with the explosive bullets effect.
So instead of being a crafty engeneer you're just some guy blowing everything to bits with an explosive shotgun.
It's effective, but terrible for RP purposes, RPing as anything pretty much doesn't work in FO4.

Forgot about that, thanks.

I don't quite remember System Shock 2 being much in terms of traps and explosives, and I haven't played the first one yet (only installed it a couple of days ago). I didn't expect anything of that kind out of it though, would be glad if it's true.

I've played Fallout 1/2, they're great but I want more. As for Mass Effect - couldn't force myself to play more than a couple of hours of it, it just seemed a lot like an expensive blockbuster-type KOTOR ripoff, with obviously washed down and simplified mechanics. So I've never expected much out of it in terms of good gameplay. The parts that I've played felt like some shitty console shooter with bloating numbers and stupid skill trees that all look the same (wow you now make +5% damage with %weapontype%, wow you now have a special attack with %weapontype%). I can't really see any way to play an engeneer/mechanic type of character, but maybe I'm wrong.

T-thanks, Todd.

Yeah, when I first heard of the skill system being thrown away I made a decision to never play it. I've never felt like I've missed anything after that day.

No shit, it's STALKER with perks.

Is this what spoony looks like now?

Nah, he looks the same as usual, just longer hair.
He shoves his ugly SJW cunt of a GF in every single wrestling and movie review video he makes tho, ruining all of them.

Traps don't really work in video games. 99% of the time, you are the one running into enemies rather than the other way around. You don't have time to prepare anything and can never use the environment to your advantage (and most of the time it isn't designed for any kind of trapping playstyle either). There's also the balance issue. Either traps will be underpowered meaning that you're going to have to shoot/hack away at the enemy once they've ran into your trap, or they will be overpowered as hell and kill anything that runs into them.

Next up, the AI. Either enemies will just take the shortest route to you, which makes them seem like idiots for running into every trap you place, or they will just go around any trap that isn't invisible.

Traps in games tend to boil down to just throwing out a small AoE on the ground when the enemy is far away from you and kiting the enemy into it, repeatedly. And that's assuming they aren't using projectiles.

Well i disagree.

XD

Does anyone know the name of that book of D&D trap ideas and illustrations that sometimes gets posted here?

You might want to back all those generalizations and assertions with a single example, or someone may think you're being reductive and pulling this all out your ass.

Underrail. You can craft a metric shitton of traps, go in stealthily, recon where all the enemies path, then set up your ambush. Using your silenced weapons or crossbow with customized darts, plus your previously placed traps, you can take every enemy out before they can even detect you.
Or you can go guns blazing with your heavily armored behemoth and slaughter everyone before they do it to you.
One of the best turn-based games to come out in a long while.

Wow, not early access, no DLCs, looks quite promising so far, thanks. I've heard the name only once before and kind of dismissed it because it's name seemed like a certain shitty game's name ripoff. But tell me one thing: is it short? Pretty much all the indie games are short as hell, so if it's less than at least 20+ hours of gameplay (which is already extremely short for and RPG), I might rethink buying it. Even if it's short don't think I'm saying that your game is shit, it's just that I value my money high.

I own it and I'd be careful about the assertions that you can play it any way you want. It might just be my inexperience with the game, but my attempt at a scientist character stalled the first time I had to get into combat. Even with a combat character I found some encounters to be pretty extreme. Again this could be chalked up to my inexperience, but I can't be sure

i felt like Witcher 2 really let me do this, and Bound by Flame had options to build strategy on traps

I have about 35 hours in the game so far on my first playthrough and I still have the entire upper under rail and the deep cave shit to explore
though some parts seem to be just plain bad for a specific build; an area with 3 guys equipped with weapons that have a chance to snare you in place completely fucks melee characters.

UnderRail? Isn't that the meme game? You know, with the skeletons?

No that's undertail, underrail is a completely different game.

Imagine fallout 2

Examples? It's called having played video games.

In the vast majority of games, you're the one exploring the area while the enemies are stationary or patrol a route. You don't know where they are, how they'll move or even the layout beyond what you can see unless you have already played the game. For traps to be useful, the enemies are the ones that have to be mobile while you have access to the area ahead of time to trap it. Unless it's the shitty kind of trap where you just throw something out on the ground while running backwards or before the enemy reaches you, but that's not fun in the slightest.

Basically, for a game to have good traps, it needs to be designed for it from the ground up. Very few games do this even if they do have traps, so using traps ends up being a shitty experience. It's really just area defense and stealth games that pull this off (and RPGs assuming they have good enough stealth). Otherwise it's just
and that's fucking boring.

I guess one game that does it right is Mark of the Ninja, since you can explore the area and take note of patrol routes while the AI is predictable enough to manipulate without being entirely brain dead.

HILARIOUS AND ORIGINAL

Orcs must Die
Deception/Trapt

I think for the most part you're correct, but that's a lot of generalizing and handwaving it with "It's called having played videogames" is not an effective way to make a point

Another one? These cucks never learn anything.

Not in
REB BROWN movies or Counter Monkey

Is that supposed to be Vinny? Becaused he isn't an engineer, he's a demolition man. Audrey is an engineer.

Shit, I was hoping that's actually spoony

The picture was sort of random, sorry for misleading if that's what happened.

Fallout is complete garbage at what OP is asking about, get real.

Traps work really well in multiplayer versus games, but you're right it's pretty hard to implement them and make them feel satisfying when used against an AI.

Guilty Gear has some good examples of well-done trap characters actually.

Yeah, that's pretty much the only thing left by him i can enjoy.

There are a lot more advanced trap sequences you can pull in DA:Origins, although combat isn't well-balanced in that game and given sufficient traps you can instakill anything. Not to mention DAO's abuse of cutscenes can completely negate your positioning and traps every so often. Also, the Grease Fire combo got wrecked in a later patch (it originally did 30 damage per tick, now it does 30 total), so that trap combo is not as good anymore.

i haven't seen face this punchable in years

jesus christ

Last bump for more possible answers.