Is this a good musou game?

Is this a good musou game?
Is it enjoyable to follow if I never played any DQ games?
Is PC port any good?
Does it have any dress up?

Other urls found in this thread:

sengokubasara.wikia.com/wiki/Sengoku_BASARA_3_Utage/Translation/Navigation_Page
raindropsanddaydreams.co.uk/2013/11/sengokubasara4guide.html
raindropsanddaydreams.co.uk/2015/04/sengoku-basara-4-sumeragi-reference.html
twitter.com/AnonBabble

No.
No.
No.
No.

Any other questions?

Do you suck dicks?

If you want a good musou game by Koei, get Warriors Orochi 3 or One Piece: Pirate Warriors 3.

If you actually want a good musou game instead, drop Koei entirely and get into Basara.

Opinion discarded.

Yeah its okay.

Yes, it has a lot of aesthetic charm.

No.

Some like switchable costumes, but otherwise no not really if you're talking character customization.

Its a good love letter to DQ, which is unfortunate as even after decent enough sales despite almost no marketing they still don't seem interested in bringing any over.

Gee, haven't heard -that- before, koeidrone.

Why does SE have no problems bringing over FF but at the same time almost never bring over new DQ games?

It's not really a musou game, way smaller maps with less enemies to fight and the enemies are incredibly slow.
If you want a Musou game go pick another title.
I got bored of it pretty quickly, never finished it.
I never sore any technical problems when I played it.
No.

Basara 1 and 2 were straight up musou clones with more pronounced anime aesthetic going for it.
Basara 3 tried to deviate making all characters follow different rules with how their attacks work, leaving it in a weird limbo between mousou and cuhrayzee game.

None of them is worse than your worst musou (dw6) but neither is better than your best musou (DW5 and gundam 2).

Basara 4 I haven't played yet.

As overall games, they've been massively improves with Basara 3 Utage and by Basara 4 Sumeragi you can do shit like vid related.

Really Basara 3 vanilla was almost a beta version of Utage, Utage has so much more replay value than 3 it's not even funny.

However you gotta import, there's no way around that.

For anyone interested, here's the Basara 3 Utage translation:

sengokubasara.wikia.com/wiki/Sengoku_BASARA_3_Utage/Translation/Navigation_Page

The Basara 4 translation:

raindropsanddaydreams.co.uk/2013/11/sengokubasara4guide.html

The Basara 4 Sumeragi translation:

raindropsanddaydreams.co.uk/2015/04/sengoku-basara-4-sumeragi-reference.html

Yeah thanks for reminding, I hate this shit.

m8 that ship sailed years ago, Musou has become the "it's just a brainless button masher" meme that the reviewers accused it of back in the day.

Quality started dipping hard with DW7, which was them scrambling to go back to the DW5 days after 6 bombed, and then 8 put an armory's-worth of bullets in the series' head. No musou game starting with 8 and beyond has been even mediocre, let alone good. It's trash now. You mash buttons until everything is dead, and none of the enemies put up a fight. Your only challenge is babysitting the ally AI that magically dies if you aren't looking at it because the game "simulates" them getting murdered when they're off-screen. Cranking up the difficulty only makes them damage sponges that one-shot you, which still isn't a problem because enemies only fight back when you juggle them enough to trigger the automatic air-musou attack, which is easily avoided by just mashing buttons instead of trying to actually be stylish.

No.

PC port is as barebones as it gets, and has nasty framedrops all over the place on rigs ridiculously above the requirements. It also has some boneheadedly stupid anti-aliasing issues and eye-cancer like depth of field that you can't fully turn off.

There's some discussion to be had about this.

First of all, Musou have always been inferior to pure and fully developed action games, this isn't an insult to the genre, it's just the way things have always been, musou as a genre is essentially the COD of japan, something meant to be enjoyed by people of all ages and different skill levels.

The decline in quality has a lot to do with how japanese players are approaching the genre these days.

In japan, the main two musou audiences are casuals and fujoshis, again, just staing the simple honest truth here.

Casuals in japan are becoming way, way more casuals because japanese people aren't breeding anymore, so all that's left is very old people with slow reflexes, unwilling to learn and also often without much time on their hands because they're overworked to death, so they need simple, streamlined and bite sized portions of gameplay.

This first audience is the main reason why japan is going full mobile/phone over home consoles.

Fujoshis will purchase EVERYTHING tied to a series, anime, manga, plushies, figurines, themed food and drinks, you name it, but often they will NOT purchase the games themselves because they're literally too complex/hard for them or they're just not that interested in video games anymore (this is the main problem basara is facing in japan for example, insanely popular, all the merch sells like crazy, yet the games themselves not that much, and this is the reason why the next basara game is a smaller, lower budget development spin off focused on a handful of characters).

With these two factors weighting on the entire genre shoulders heavily, it's no surprise that the quality has been dropping down these last years.

This is a japanese focused genre first and foremost, so they must try to cater to the japanese audience first, and the western audience second (that is now bigger than it was previously, but still very niche compared to most other genres), so they're doing what they must do to survive in this environment.

just play those, 8 or ps2 5 are nice

That makes sense, but it doesn't really change the fact that the games are shit. the tl;dr to take away from this is that Musou games (especially the modern ones) are bad and if you aren't complete shit at games you should avoid them.

Only the fighting game is worth caring about

Jesus, you literally just named the worst thing to ever come out of Basara and named it as the only positive.

I think once your taste becomes so shit you get blood poisoning and straight up die from sheer shit taste, that's insane, how are you even still alive?

Koei stuff is good from a fanservice point of view, and some people exclusively care about fanservice when playing these games, so if that's what they're interested about they still have some value, i suppose.
Fanservice is the main reason why Hyrule Warriors sold so much, for example.

So I have the PC version of Dynasty Warriors 8. Is there any reason to play any other Musou? I've heard if you've played one then you've pretty much played them all.

autism detected

If you want enemies that actually fight back, emulate 5.
If you want empire management and conqueror sim lite, emulate 5 Empires.
If you want that but rather it be Feudal Japan instead of Three Kingdoms China, emulate Samurai Warriors 2 Empires.

Otherwise, no, you aren't missing much.

But gotta say I like how the game looks.
Too bad fraps fucks up colors for some reason.

Still on Namek.jpg

Too bad it isn't really DBZ musou I looked for, since you just slowly swing a fucking sword around and there is no crazy shit going on.

If you aren't autistic, you don't belong here.
>>>/reddit/

Oh Christ, why you gotta make me want things I never even contemplated

Disgaea musou
You know you want it

Game starts off so easy it's boring. However as it progresses you'll be managing 4 people, constantly summoning monster, warping to multiple parts of the map to crowd control, and fighting multiple mini bosses at the same time. Once it actually started throwing everything at me, the game became much more fun.

I would play the shit out of a NIS fighting game. But not a musou, I have enough of those.

You can just say "X musou" and it works, it's not a complicated formula, nor especially hard to execute nor with long development times if you give it to Koei, they're essentially so formulaic and fast to churn this shit out it's basically an automated press by now.

For example way before HW the series i remember people talking about having a musou was Mortal Kombat.

The factions are there, the "generals" would be each character, i especially remember people getting hyped about a possible scenario with the Lin Kuei spearheaded by Sub-Zero rushing in against Scorpion leading the Shirai Ryu, it sorta writes itself.

Sub Zero leading his faction freezing people around would sorta work like the ice-themed Uesugi Kenshin in Basara, it worked well there, i guess it would work just as well with an actual cryomancer.

Disgaea's gameplay was boring as shit for me but if they made a musou game of it I'd buy it. Kinda cheapens the common character classes you might nurture in other games by making them downright cannon fodder though (unless they're the ever-unfortunate prinnies, but that would get old and take away it being unique to characters like Etna). At any rate I'm sure they could make it work if they wanted to make one, sounds fun.

Project X Zone - Musou Madness

A what game? Just fucking call it a Dynasty Warriors clone, that's far more of a descriptive genre name than some weebshit, even fucking 4X is more descriptive about its games

Dude musou IS short for Dynasty Warriors.

Just because Paradox cucked you doesn't mean there's a need to be salty.

Yeah, I want the game to be good simply because compared to other games of that genre, it's finally one with art direction that really grabs me.

Since I've been wanting Disgaea in any other genre but strategy RPG for a long time now, sounds good to me. I love the style and overall vibe of Disgaea, not so much the actual gameplay.

Just gotta make sure and scale everyone's power level down to Raditz. :^)

A what game? Just fucking call it a Civilization clone, that's far more of a descriptive genre name than some nerd jargon, even fucking RPG is more descriptive about its games