SOMA

Let's talk about SOMA. Overall it was a very pretty walking simulator, but the whole spoopy A.I thing is out of place.
The fear and tension of having to sacrifice your past self to monsters you later turn off before the end provided you didn't kill him is utterly retarded.
This game felt underwhelming. A Lovecraftian approach to things would have probably done the game justice.
An enemy you can't stop. Just hope to escape and survive.

I was primarily disappointed that they removed so many of the gameplay elements compared to Amnesia and Penumbra. That's just fucking stupid.

I was okay with the story but not impressed. I probably would have preferred your idea.

Jesus which fucking website did you take a wrong turn from bro?

This is probably one of the times where I feel the gameplay got in the way of its story which I didn't find too impressive. They wanted to make a walking simulator but feared backlash so they went the Quantum Break route. Interesting idea but horrible execution. The choices to "kill" the people you met to advance to the next section or find an alternative around doing it felt hollow. Didn't feel like there was any consequence to it and just became a non-choice that boils down to a flip of the coin or players mood. Even though it was aiming for more psychological horror, it definetly needed more actual horror to it that made you feel something, despite the character you are suppose to play as. I don't think there is a more immersion breaking moment than getting clothesline out of nowhere and surviving, and trying to find a random glowy pod to remove the video distortion on the screen. This feels like it should have gone for a more hide from teh monsters and move when clear approach like Clocktower.

The scariest thing about the game was the things you don't see, by that I mean the atmosphere and the sound design. And then it loses it's edge whenever you see a monster. Go figure

reddit ofc:^)

As much as it was a walking simulator, it was a damn fine one, and it was the first game in a long long time that put effort into sound design, so I simply can't dislike it. One of my biggest gripes with modern games is the fact that they ignore sound design for the most part.

I liked the bit where, after spending hours having the compuer woman tell you that you don't transfer your mind you copy it and stay where you are, having conversations examining this concept, being shown examples of this, and having it happen to you, the ending is your character getting pissed off because he doesn't know that you don't transfer your mind your just make a copy.

It's absolutely fucking shit as a game. It doesn't need to be a game, it really doesn't.
This should have been turned into a movie. Fuck, they could keep using the models and everything if they had made it a 3DCG movie.
Have you ever actually read any of his work? Because he never liked mixing technology into his stories.

I meant in the sense that there is actual tension.
A deep sea creature coming to fuck everything up and you are helpless to stop it. Stay too long and it will find the ARK and fuck humanity as a whole.

Soma Prime was breddy good. I haven't played in a while though, so maybe it got nerfed or something better got released.

WHAT GAMEPLAY?

pretty much this
lovecrafting shit is probably the most cancerous thing right now with everybody and their dog thinking underwater=lovecraft

read

The dumbest "twist" in recent years.

who says the monsters get 'turned off?' After defeating the WAU plenty of monsters keep going. The goal was to prevent the WAU from making MORE monsters.

I felt like I've just wasted time after completing it and I pirated it, also the plot was pants on head retarded with the whole memory uploading crap

Biggest mistake of the game was the order in which the endings paled out. I mean sure, every player knows that the mind doesn't transfer etc etc, but they could have at least made the effort to keep up the illusion.

Also ive got a massive hardon for deep-sea games and too much of the game was spent inside

It's pseudo-intellectual garbage posing as a game. The first part of the game to roughly the second robot you can kill looks like a great setup. The atmosphere is perfect, there's the right amount of confusion, intrigue, and suspense, and it looks like it's going somewhere. Then it just… doesn't. There are a million cool ideas you could do with a mind copying machine, they explored none of them in favor of trying to turn a non-issue into a twist. You can't transfer your mind in a human body either, so what? The protagonists, one of which is supposed to be an expert, are so dumb they also completely ignored that they absolutely could of got on the ark. Their consciousness is in those chips, the chips can interface with computers, they just needed to add a couple of ports to the ark.

So no gameplay to speak of, choices that don't matter, a creepy atmosphere that goes no-where, characters you don't care about, 'big ideas' that a highschool student could figure out, actually interesting ideas that go completely underutilized why the fuck would you take the wau and turn it just another generic horror-blob, a plot that doesn't make any sense. It was just plain disappointing all around.

I watched it being played on Youtube and it was thoroughly enjoyable. Not my kind of game but the atmosphere was beautiful as fuck and the enemies just freaky enough.

Liked the story too.

You complain about it being pseudo-intellectual and then prove you don't get the basic point.

Hilarious.

Even if they interfaced somehow with the ark, they would still be essentially copying their consciousness again, unless they killed their old selves as they went.

Not reading your post.

Why exactly do you think that? I'm talking about physically moving the cortex chip that is the thing storing their consciousness into a slot on the ark. Then using an interface to communicate between the ark world and the chip itself, just like the chips do with every other device including the one they're already in. I'm not suggesting they copy themselves into the ark's memory.

that's fine

Here's a question they never fucking answered: How the fuck does being a digital copy of someone's mind make the robot optics see its mechanical body as a normal human body?

That one retarded detail is the entire basis for the game's unsettling scenes. "Hey it's me! Johnny Fuckwad! What's your problem! I ain't no robot! Fuck you and help me! Look at me waving my human hands and yelling at you with my human mouth!"

Once you remove that odd wrinkle, it would just be a station of robots sitting around waiting for their batteries to die and they'd be fine with it. All this shit about "am I really ME?!" doesn't really work once its revealed that, no, you're just a copy that can think like a person, and nothing more.

Not reading your reply.

Are you jealous you can't into formatting?
;^)

Story wasn't smart and the twist was fucking dumb. Also there was so little gameplay. From Amnesia to this is a short deevolution in design. But it makes all the difference. First one is great, this one is bland and insulting.

Not reading your reply.

They actually did answer that. It's really really dumb, but their is technically an explanation that exists. It's supposed to be a psychological coping mechanism, it's not the robots optics it's all in their 'mind'. The idea is people can't handle having their brains inside a machine instead of in a human body so their mind rejects that reality and substitutes a version where they're still a person. Incredibly stupid but that's their answer. I will say I don't think knowing you're just a copy in a robot body would make you ok with dieing though.

This has to be the dumbest group of scientists in the world, the WAU fucking solved the apocalypse and they're crying about their virtual avatars.

You're right. That is stupid. That's not how minds work.

I think that speaks for itself

Soma was a piece of shit. It out to be a horror game and it failed.

This is coming from someone that is too scared to even play Amnesia.

how can one race be so cucked?

Why are they separated by race? Why isn't she holding the black kid's hands??

I don't think wives of muslim men are allowed to interact with each other.

I'm surprised you guys don't love the game; it's basically every Holla Forums idea ever combined into one game.

And yet you don't like it. Why? Because you aren't making money?

"Actual tension" isn't Lovecraftian.

If anything, the average person on Holla Forums fucking hates pretentious walking sims, user.

I don't think most people's imaginations could keep up the charade longer than a minute. If their mental endurance is enhanced by the hardware, maybe, but it just doesn't make sense that they would keep up the visualization without their personality being further altered.

It's like you enjoy lag

It was garbage. I was pissed that the praise for this mess got me to waste shekels on it, who the fuck is rating it highly? Not only was it a walking simulator, the plot doesn't even make sense in the end. Your char clearly already understood what was going on by that point then has his sperg moment that is supposed to be deep and meaningful. No, fuck this game.

It was a pretty good walking sim. I liked the atmos and the pretty blinkenlichten.

What sucked was the baby's first intro to philosophy nonsense and the re-use of identity copying for shock value. Once was… ok. Twice was unforgivable. And then they fuck it up during the actual ending sequence anyway.

It could have been really really good if they had just not catered to the people who think the cave allegory is deep shit. I mean, treat us like adults at least.

It's a poorly thought out explanation, but that's what they went with.

How do you expect to get into the internal memory without just making a copy? The idea is to save yourself even though you're already a copy instead of making a new entity while you get left with jack and shit. Besides, I don't think they gave us the actual specs of the cortex chips and the connection lag increase really won't be much if anything. The bigger issue is that no matter how fancy or how long it will run for, the ark is nothing but a coffin with no way to effect the outside world. It's still doomed.

Dude should have kept making copies of himself, retaken the stations, and worked with the Wau. It had finally basically perfected the process of creating sentient lifeforms, was trying to keep everyone alive, and was capable of learning. It's basically evolution at that point. That should have been the ending after launching the arks if you didn't make the worst decision possible. seriously there was no one else for the wau to kill, what was the point?