No thread about Ys

Let's change that.

Looks like Falcom needs to work a little more on optimizing the game, but as soon as they do that it should be amazing.

Unless they plan on releasing it with the FPS drops and have the PS4 be the main version, which wouldn't really surprise me all that much.

There's still a Falcom thread up that hasn't hit bump limit, albeit it's on page 15.

Been playing Ys I and II on the DS since I found a cheap copy a while back. Pretty fun, though I do wish Atlus would have caught that the temple was meant to be "Temple of Solomon" and not "Temple of Salmon." At first I wrote it off as something minor in their translation for Ys I, but given the role it plays in Ys II it really doesn't help things. I just don't get how it wasn't caught during proofreading, like no one asked "Does this even make sense for a name? Temple of Salmon?"

Also, is the temple in Ys II (I'm not exactly there yet, but it keeps being mentioned with a lot of importance) the same building as the one in Ys I? Was the part explored there actually part of Esteria's landmass, or does that entry room actually warp Adol to a section of it all the way up in Ys? Just curious as to how exactly that works, since both games are using the same name for it.

Also the DS version of Ys I & II sucks. It makes no sense to play that version when you have Chronicles, unless you feel curious about it.

Go post there and bump it guys.

Wish my Internet hadn't crapped out yesterday, but I guess this new thread works.

Made it up to Cave in Brandish: The Dark Revenant, will post screens to bump.

Can't wait for these semen demons

Why does Ys II have so much dialogue? I thought I was autistic for giving max gifts to everyone in Lance but apparently you can talk to every fucking monster too.

Also playing Ys Seven on Hard, my first time with it. Very fun.

They added a shit-ton of text in Ys I & II Eternal because they wanted to flesh the world out a lot more than the originals did. I suspect the writers didn't have anything to do because they'd written Legend of Heroes V's script already but the rest of the game hadn't been finished yet.

Is YS seven worth playing?

It's definitely worth a play through and in Nightmare it's really satisfying to flash guard a boss's attacks. I however will admit that I prefer the Ys games where Adol goes adventuring solo.

Anyone know how long Zwei II is? I'm just about to go up against the third boss and I'd like to know just how much more is ahead. I'm worried that at the rate I'm going I won't be done before Odin Sphere comes out and consumes me.

So far it's not as good as something almighty like Felghana, but a better first game in its style than Napishtim. Most of my frustration comes from not quite getting Flash Guard timing and RT locking some moves but not others; only one of the early bosses has a notable hitbox problem, and the others are great. It's a bit wordy but I like the worldbuilding and level design a lot. Audiovisuals rock, and the challenge level's just right.

I & II > Origin > Seven / Ark > Oath > Celceta

I want to fuck Adol

Does Ys 2 have confusing moments like the Darm Tower in the original Ys? Just made it there and I got stuck a couple of times where I had to dig up a walkthrough.

They're going to have to rename the Vita version Ys VIII: Slideshow of Dana :^)

:stopgay:

It's not gay to claim that Adol is sexy as fuck. It's just a fact no matter how you try to change it.

Geis x Dogi x Adol never

Salty Tears of Dana

A bunch of people have trouble with exploring Solomon Shrine and, worse yet, Subterranean Canal. The only weird backtracking moment would be revisiting a certain room you initially have to find but can't enter because the villains are in there. You also have to return to Ramia Village two times, but those are clearly indicated by the story. Layouts overall are more complex than Darm Tower but there's less confusion in the end.

iktfb

Segram and Old Waterway down in Ys Seven. The Cave Byway boss has 2gud hitboxes on his split-second-to-launch vertical shockwaves, couldn't reliably Flash Guard them—bosses to follow were kinder.

I find the strict recreation of maps underwhelming after beating the PC-98 version. A looser style for The Planet Buster would help, so long as the developers figure out how to map dungeons' geography and scale into Bundevia properly. Anyhow, we're stuck waiting for more Brandish, maybe forever. Imagine how long Japanese fans waited between 4 and TDR, at least 12 years! I'm being optimstic and hoping people buy Xanadu Next so Falcom knows we're ready to justify them making a Brandish remake or something like that.

Why?

lmoa

wait a minute
did adol just spoke

He's never been mute. The games used to narrate his actions/consent, now he's got more characterization.

For the glory of Sata—er, I mean Kadokawa.

Oh great, now I have even more NPCs to talk to between dungeons.

Didn't he have dialogue in the anime and that PS2 remake of Ys III? There's probably a few other places too. The only thing I know of that Falcom made themselves is Ys vs Sora no Kiseki. He only talks when you play as him though, I think.

Because Kadokawa/Chara-ani owns a part of the series specially the voice acting and they can do whatever they want with it.

When does Adol talk?

- At the very beginning of Ys II, asking Lillia who was her.
- At some points of Wanderers from Ys. Pretty much told Chester than vengeance only makes shit worse.
- Adol does talk, but it's the usual "we won't show it to you". Still, take in mind those moments where the narrator describes what Adol is saying such as "Adol claimed that blablabla".
- At Ys Seven and Celceta, you can pick his replies sometimes.

Adol is the avatar of the player, but he has his own personality as well, just not fully shown. We know he is kind and a nice guy, sure, but at the same time, each one of us can interpret the rest of his personality as we see fit through his actions. For example, you can make him some sort of hero with a twisted mind who just want to mess with everyone and see the world burn on Celceta if you pick his joke lines. But I'm sure most people on these threads will go for "Adol is an overpowered beast who takes Gods for breakfasts".

any lewds of the blue haired girl?
like hand holding or cuddling?

Why would you want that, user? She is going to die.

How long til we get some info on Cold Steel 3, and how is 2 compared to CS1?

From what I've played thus far, it is a pretty solid mash up of Persona and Trails. The 3d version of the combat reminds me a lot of Shadow Hearts.

Or be the final boss. One of the two. Or both, maybe.

2017 according to Kondo

Just finished Trails of Cold Steel.

…what the fuck did I just play? The story kicks up to 11 after the "final boss", and coasts along for another few hours…

the only way to stop her is pic related

YANG Wen-D.

Source?

Do you think the series will ever return to bump combat? I really liked that a lot more than the Tales-like combat the later games have.

Kondo posted on 2ch like a really long time ago he said 2017 for Sen 3

you do realize you posted the psvita versions trailer right?
Also the ps4 version comes next year, I don't know why.

Up to Fortress now. I'm definitely going to finish Ys Seven before tackling Dela Mode, though.

Maybe a new Ys I & II with bumping for regular attacks, skills on top of that, and a mix of vertical and horizontal level design (mid-2000s Ys and Seven-engine Ys) + new bosses.

And that thread should still be available somewhere, right?

Falcom delayed it for technical/development reasons, while stating in a Dengeki/Famitsu press feed that they were making it with Western markets in mind. I hope that means they've received feedback about Celceta's framerate problems and are going to address that even if it takes extra time.

Cold Steel is pretty good thus far, about to do the second field study. However, I cam come it at immediately after TiTS:SC so I am already acclimated to the rhythm of the series.