3D lacks Style

I blame 3D animation and the wool over the eyes that Paperman pulled, but goddam do modern animated things lack style and motion.
I'm even only bringing up "Big Budget Disney-Esque" examples, to be fairer, I'm even gonna keep stuff like RedLine out of this.
There is just something so static and Ridgid about this animation process. And what still gets to me is that it's not even less expensive anymore. It's increasing in costs for no substantial gains, for things that would require the screen to be ballooned up by millions of degrees for the difference to show up even as pixels.
And whilst 3D ate away at 2D for a while, I would say the main culprit was Paperman, but what gets to me about Paperman is that it doesn't even deliver.
Paperman is 3D with a 2D filter and proved nothing. It proved they could do "Lighting Effects" hooray for you. But in terms of character designs, it's the same rigid models, in terms of motion it's the same limited fluidity, in terms of what you choose to show its just 3D.
But what 2D shows is that its not about rendering power. 2D is just as much what you don't show as much as what you do show. Lilo and Stitches Lighting effects impressed me many times more then anything I have seen in 3D because its lighting can be whatever it want. It only exists to be interesting in a way you can't do in 3D without breaking immersion.

And it bugs me that its likely killed off 2D animation in a major way in the west at least. And I don't know how it could ever make a comeback.

I'll add to this: I'm angry about how pozzed Children's television and Comic books have become.
Also The Killing Joke Could have been better animated and scripted, and failed to take advantage of the medium.
Also, the Bunny deserved to have some goddamn Trix, and they should release an Avatar series where rather than one Avatar, each book focuses on the legends of an early Avatar, starting with Wan, and I wish I could trust CN to make a good remake of Johnny Bravo and Dexter's Laboratory, but I know they'd neuter them both, especially Johnny, who's whole shtick is that he's an Asinine Chad-wannabe towards women, but they'd make him more polite because the feminists would find him offensive, COMPLETELY MISSING THE POINT.

user, you go around each thread on Holla Forums shitting everywhere like an incontinent birdman infected with rabies. Pozz this, pozz that, shut the fuck up we get and we've gotten it since 2014.

Kindly kill yourself, please.

Honestly, I'm just a visitor from another board(/tg/), and the first half of that post was supposed to be mocking the board as a whole, but the Johnny Bravo thing came up and I actually got mad, and realized that, fuck… You guys actually have a justifiable reason to be angry! I always thought that Holla Forums's anger was unjustified butthurt because of the exodus or something, but… I get it now.
It's frustrating because the three big networks for western cartoons will either ignore good content in favor of TTG, Spam it endlessly if it's remotely good until it goes full Zombie, and then gets pozzed via exposure to a viewing audience, or write something actually good with liberal messages slowly creep through the advancing seasons.
To make matters worse, the only platforms that might actually give the freedom to create good, decent content are the streaming services, which fuck you over another way entirely, and the comics industry has gotten just as bad.
And really, you'd probably just deal with the hand You're dealt and try and find something worth viewing, but it's just getting to be a narrower and narrower niche, to the point where you guys lash out at the Shit that's currently popular.

I'm sorry, I'm really, really sorry.

That, and instances where you have shitposters just screaming out about jews, pozzed, niggers and whatever lingo is popular on Holla Forums or somethingawful. We already have several threads bitching about politics, sjw's and etc….. Not all the threads need to be like that especially one where people are just having a decent conversation. This shitposter right here is a clear cut example of them -

OP here I know pozz, and I already made a thread about Pozz. I wanted to talk about the problems with 3D animation.

I'd like to do something to help. I'm something of a mover and shaker on boards, nothing big mind you, but I do know how to start and manage board projects, and keep them alive and going.
I'd like to propose a Content Crusades of sorts, wherein the goal is to bring good, fresh content back to the board to discuss, in an effort to drive out the cynicism and shitposting.
I have a few ideas in mind already, like a Holla Forumsllaborative Capeshit setting for use in RPGs, and trawling through the depths of the internet for Webcomics and original comics and animations of a suitable quality.
What say you?

Report for derailing, hell even report my posts too.

If you want to start somesort of Cape RPG or something similar, be my guest but when it comes to original content, Holla Forums's story is just a massive tragedy. We've had multiple projects going on in the past, there's actually one now , from the Holla Forums Wacky Races, Holla Forums's Cartoon Project, The failed Infinity-verse, our translation efforts and a couple other things that I've forgotten. They all fizzle out in a number of months either due to infighting or lack of interest. Its a miracle although we have OC droughts, its mostly temporary as it only takes a new thread to get people started again.

Well for one thing, you can stop derailing the thread with meta crap and make a new thread talking about your idea.

I forgot which movie ran after Paperman, but I was like "How ever the fuck the movie will look, I already know this looks better."
Same with the artbooks for Big Hero 6, Frozen and Tangles.

For some reason, the Dreamworks 3D movies work way better than the Disney 3D movies because you've got the feeling they were mean to be 3D from scratch. But Disney style looks so stupid in 3D. I mean, look at Elsa in OPs post. She looks so retarded.
They hugely improved with Moana, but I dunno… I think they should make more movies like Zootopia, completely without human characters, where their style looks nice in 3D.
Where it's less uncanny.

I mean the song sequences in Frozen and Tangled look so stupid, in 2D those over the top movements and expressions work, but in 3D it seems ridiculous because noone moves and acts that way. Crap I could rant about Frozen for years.

Also bland. Bland bland bland bland.
They still all look like action figures for 3-year-olds.
Id say its a case where because CG is only aping at reality, the stylistic choices that can be applied to 3D characters are much more limited in inherent nature.

Really, the difference between a Dreamworks Character and a Disney character is only in the angling of the chin and eyes, whilst their differences used to be much bigger depending on series.

3D still has three advantages over 2D animation:
All of those take longer, are harder to pull off well, and are more expensive in traditional animation. The trade-off is that if you manage to pull them off in 2D, they will look more impressive than the 3D version. It's one of the reasons why older some animation like DAICON IV still looks impressive.

Both attempts ended successfully to my knowledge.

As far as other projects go, more work seems to be done individually than as a group. At least when it comes to comics.
There is one faggot who posted completed pages of his sci-fi comic, which was actually pretty good. Two others posted their scrips in writefag threads, and there was no shortage of people sharing their ideas and giving critique. Talk is cheap, but most writefag threads reach bump limit pretty quickly.

Yes and? That's a big part of the magic of animation. Sometimes what you don't see is as important as what you do see. In fact, that's whats burying them to death with inflated budgets.
Like a satire of reality, they keep investing into more and more detail of things will wow people initially (Maybe) but then will forget later. On top of that, most characters have such a level of detail, that its actually impossible to see. Characters now have more hair on their heads then real people, but the end result looks like just massive clumps regardless.
They made fluid spinning shots effortless, so now I find myself not caring about them at all, and there is no effort to make them special or executing them properly.
Adjusted for Inflation Zootopia is still 2.5 times as expensive as Cats Don't Dance. And say what you want about Cats don't dance but its animation is gorgeous. And outside of Furgfaggotry Zootopia is completely forgettable, with characters (often the bigger ones) often feeling like they have no weight to them.

I'm not upset with you, it's just… My favorite animation type was killed for a bunch of crap reasons.

Maybe if Holla Forums allowed actual capeshit on here, I'd bother trying to contribute to board churn.

Every time I try starting a capeshit topic or OC thread, I either get deleted by The Mad Mod for "not storytiming", or I get accused of "shilling" by the Hey Holla Forums Autist.

That being said, I'd totes be down for an RPG thread or a Webcomic or animation hunt.

Have you considered, your way of doing things are just wrong? We've had multiple OC threads in the past with no problem I had to email Beyonder a couple times in the past to stop a couple of shitposters from derailing them

Not really, everytime you add more characters it's add more to the render time.

Pleb

>>>/oven/

This is one of those things where you can almost tell which mental illnesses the creator has just from looking at it.

I know right.

It's not that 3D lacks style, it's that Pixar has one artist who does everything.

That's some Silent Hill looking shit.

3D to emulate 2d?

sourcepls

*cartwheels into thread
hhhhhhhHHHHHHHAAAAAYYYYYY TEEEEVEEEEE
*teleports behind u
I bet you'll stop posting now

So did you stop posting?

I wanna fuck that rabbit so I can trigger drumpf

Hey Leftypol. How's Cuba doing?

It all depends on the shading but its usually stuck in an uncanny valley.

Just report for derailing and ignore.

danke

Wreck-It Ralph followed Paperman.

why you hate 3dCG?

For every reason that I listed?

Also Im not a fan of Nier: Automata personally. Its reached the point where waifushit has actually started to override the franchises original dark atmosphere.

Its not fan content if its the friggin character designs.
You see Drakengaurd, and its like this living nightmare. The tone is surreal, the music is unnerving, the reality is chaos.
The gameplay could be touched upon, but that's separate.
Either 3-5 games later, and now its Waifus in maid skirts running around spouting bullshit at Bishonen boys.

One would think a story about humanity/ robots and the like, would benefit from Inhuman Character designs to really stress points.

But no, gotta lather on that fetish gear otherwise nobody will buy it. Just like Fire Emblem.

I just hate how 3D tries to replicate the 2D style and totally fails. It feels disingenous to a huge degree

What would be great examples of inhuman character designs?

And let me get this straight: Wall-E is by no means any measure of perfect. Its got TONS of flaws.

But it still has general themes of humanity and Inhumanity, and it does allot of its expression through truly Inhumane things.
The nature of behavior, repetition, individuality and expression all exist in the film.
But yeah we got the easy way with "Big Cute Googly Eyes".

The Fabrication Machine From 9 to me stands as a great example of minimalist human design and expression through motion and design.

In a sense, The machine is more of a tragic design as monstrous as it is. When we see it in its initial form it has this childish quaintness too it. And the large machine almost feels like a prison. Exposed wires, spiderlike arms, with only its original eye poking out from its tumorous and pained body.

Man I wish 9 didn't flop. It's much more a PG-13 Film.

9's visuals were fine, but even if the movie didn't flop the story was lackluster, way too short and underdeveloped

You're replying to bait.

I thought it was minimalistic but pretty great. Its not complicated or anything, but I found it very enjoyable.

Probably becaues the 3d animation style is ugly as sin. I say style because all these movies use the exact same art style

I never said it wasn't enjoyable, it's just not as good as it could have been