Far cry series

What happened between far cry, far cry 2 and far cry 3/4 ?

Did the developers have trouble deciding what the games should be about. The stories are familiar but the core mechanics and the way the game is presented are completely different.
Far cry 2 was ruthless, gotta get pills to not die, weapons jam, weapons explode, cars break down. Everything is out to get you, I've been playing it again after a long time and it just feels like a completely different game than the rest.

(Far cry thread?)

Other urls found in this thread:

moddb.com/mods/infamous-fusion
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Maybe there's a fucking reason someone left it laying on the ground.

Far Cry 2 is atmospherically the best pseudo-realistic shooter ever made.

Also, I wish someone converted Instincts/Evolution on PC.

It honestly surprises me how each main Far Cry entry was different. Makes me wonder why they stopped that with 4 and Primal and reused 3's fomrula.

Ubisoft changed. Fuck, they are using the same shitty formulas with all of their games. Play Ass Creed, Far Cry, Watch Dogs, the new Homefront, there's something eerily similar with them all.

cause risks?

ubisoft montreal in those 4 years:
I DON'T KNOW user YOU TELL ME

Why don't more games do that? It's such a small thing, but it's so convenient.

I guess thats what happens with video games are too expensive to make and take forever to develop?

Homefront technically isn't a Ubisoft game, but it may as well be looking at gameplay footage. I just wonder why they use the same formula for every single game they make, that's beyond Activision/EA/Bethesda-tier laziness

It's a fucking factory, not a studio.

But for every single game they make? If they were to make another Zombi, Rayman, Red Steel, or any other IP, would it have to go through the same exact formula?

Their Montpeillier studio made the recent Rayman games and ZombiU.
Montreal makes the AC, Splinter Cell, and Far Cry games

So basically the real frenchies make different shit while fake frenchies in quebec make factory line shit?

I'm glad 2 exists but I really had assumed the sequel was going to be something like Crysis.

Yes, they're also the ones behind Beyond Development Hell 2, so it might have a chance of being good

The similar thing between all of them is that you're just filling out a checklist of collecting shit to unlock weapons or increase capacity of stuff you already have.

I remember when I used to think of Ubisoft as pretty decent and not afraid to try new things. I liked Assassin's creed and the ideas in the first and even the second game but AC is when they started to go to shit and reuse the same tired formula. FC3 wasn't that bad but it lost a lot of the charm FC2 had and the fact they pump out reskins of it every year now along with AC makes it hard to look back on either series favourably.

Is ZombiU any good? I think I have it on my Bloodborne machine but I haven't really played it much, does it get better than the underwhelming start?

And open world for no purpose, backtracking, pseudo-stealth (specifically with pointers on the screen that tell you the direction of the enemy and their exact 'detection level')
And doing a repetitive task to unlock arbitrary sections of the map.

Don't remind me

Nigga please

Stalker is not very mature. Compared to the movie or the book it's Hollywood-tier.

OP mentions that Far Cry 2's experience is unlike any other

Instincts guy makes the claim

I counter-claim with a better example than Instincts guy

We're not even talking about the same thing here. I'm comparing a game to a game here. You're trying to compare flappy birds to Citizen Kane. The fuck is wrong with you?

If any of you are thinking about playing FC2 soon, I recommend the Infamous Fusion mod.

moddb.com/mods/infamous-fusion

It merges a bunch of older mods and fixes a lot of the annoyances from vanilla like respawning checkpoints everywhere. Also makes the game really fucking difficult in a good way.

it's ubishit's insistence on trying to tell a story

Farcry 1 had a retarded story but it felt self-aware; it knew it was stupid and was like "here's a gorgeous island, just shoot guys and we'll kinda narrate it"

Farcry 2 was my favorite storywise because it was more grey area; are you the good guy or the bad guy? does anyone care? it was also satisfying how open it was in how you could deal with enemies. remember that part where you have to assassinate that political leader on a podium? i hit that faggot with a mortar from like a mile away, a one in a million shot, and patted myself on the back over it for two years

farcry 3 had the most despicable main character of all time who was an annoying psychopath who had no redeeming features, and they focused so much on his "evolution" that the rest of the game took a back seat to his shit, and it definitely was shit

farcry 4 could have been so good except for three things:
1: pagan min is the most interesting NPC in the entire far cry universe and immediately i wanted to join him, and instead i was foprced to immediately sign up with a group of actual terrorists and kill people that i as the player didn't hate and didn't want to kill
2: seriously, the golden path's NPCs are the most irritating, retarded talking heads who can't seem to figure out if they're humanitarians or freedom fighters, and the entire story ends up a retarded slog because of it
3: amita's not bad though am I right I'd liberate that temple if you know what I'm sayin

never played Primal so can't speak to that but as the story became more of a focus the game's overall quality has suffered. they need to either hire competent writers or stop with the forced cutscene bullshit and just let us play in their sandbox

Far Cry was the shit

Far Cry 2 was shit.

All I know about FC3 is the trailer(s). Can you tell me more?

Your typcial "bro", complete with dubstep and all

FC3 was great because the entire thing was actually a fever dream and you got to play the white brodude who becomes the savior-hero of the natives and bangs the mysterious native leader chick.

You're a rich white guy who went to an obscure island with his rich white california friends and hollywood gf only for everyone to get kidnapped by psychotic pirates. You escape, your brother gets killed, and you get rescued by a native who then teaches you "the way of the jungle", mostly killing wildlife for upgrades and picking plants to make drugs. You then start taking out pirates and trying to rescue your friends.

Of course, if we pretend it wasn't a fever dream from the minute you wake up with the Rakyat, your character ends up going from someone who's horrified when his brother shanks a nigger during the escape to a badass who mows down pirates and mercs with an LMG before vanishing into the jungle to silently snipe people with a bow. You end up becoming a mass murderer, and the game plays the body count so straight that you'd be forgiven for not realizing what you've become until it uses an NPC to slap you in the face with it. And then you go out on the next mission and do it again, and again and again.

It also takes some nicely dark turns, when the guy who's been sending you out on "totally not Uncharted, gaise" missions to collect magical compass bits turns out to have bought one of your friends and has been using him as a fucktoy for the past few weeks. And Vaas was a fantastically insane character, he was really well-done.

The main character was a white person who killed nigger pirates and the pirate-enabling mercenaries. The nigger pirates kidnapped and tortured other white people for ransom money, then sold them to sex slavery after the ransom was collected. If you choose the right ending the MC did nothing wrong. 030dea is a faggot.

retard who is too extreme for normal life goes on vacation, skydives and lands on pirate island. super cool "villain" vaas who is absolutely insane captures them. main character runs off, is rescued by a rastafarian, immediately proclaims main character as the hero of prophecy and tattoos him which somehow makes main character more powerful. main character immediately starts helping remove pirates from the island, and the other characters start mentioning how detached and insane main character has become. everyone else leaves, main character stays on the island because he likes killing people in exchange for sick tribal tattoos. main character finds some magical stone knife thing that is never really explained but is apparently a weapon of legend; he fights the crazy guy who captured him in the beginning, has a weird-ass drug trip, stabs bad guy, infiltrates an enemy army, plays poker, gets his finger cut off, has a knife fight. he gets sold out by the group he was fighting for, gets to choose whether to save his girlfriend or the native chick with banging tits. if you save the new chick you bang her and she kills you for some retarded reason. if you save your friends you leave the island even though you're a heavily tattooed monster who has the deaths of literally hundreds of humans on his hands

the worst part is through the whole thing, main character is so fucking dense and retarded that you just want to yell through the screen. his dialogue, his "reasoning" for his decisions, everything about him is fucking stupid and makes no sense. he just bumbles from one activity to the next, killing people and occasionally acting edgy

Imagine Nathan Drake with the little bit of Indiana Jones in him replaced with a random rich college cunt.

I think that FC3 would make the best movie. The three main villains were really great and could've used more screen time in a better plot.

HIS NAME IS BUCK
AND HE LIKES TO FUCK

Off yourself.

This being the 6th response to your request only further proves that the story of FC3 is fucked sideways

The setup of the game is he's on spring break or whatever with his friends, and they get captured by human traffickers. His brother (who was in the army or something) helps him escape, and gets killed on the way out, so he has to learn to fight… or something.

The natives/resistance get a hold of him and teach him the "ways of the warrior", which is really just a shitty way to hamfist level-ups into the game. He works with them to help rescue his friends, which he does basically one at a time.

Since he's now indebted to the resistance (for some reason) he has to fight their fight and kill the bad guy, but his friends just want to get off the fucking island. He acts like an asshole to them whenever he meets them.

Oh, and the whole game he's still completely new to the concept of violence, even though you kill thousands of people and gut hundreds of animals when in control of him.

At the end of the game, you're given a bioshock-like choice to either leave with your friends or have sex with the resistance leader (then she kills you afterwards)

Tonally, this game rivals Dead Island

That's not what I said, you niggering slavoboo.
The film and the book did the same setting in more maturely fashion.

For fucks sake, did you even finish the game? Did you get to the point where the zone is revealed to be a fucking PSYCHIC DISTORTION ANOMALY CREATED BY A SUPER SECRET SOVIET TELEPATHY EXPERIMENT?

>torture your little brother this was the most satisfying part of the game imo

It's horseshit but if you can tolerate all this bullshit It's kinda fun for a while. but if you have anything better to play don't waste your time.

Far Cry 2 was worth it simply because it gave us that godlike imfdb page about it.

As opposed to just "it was ayys lmaoing it up on our planet"?

That doesn't mean it's not a good atmospheric "hardcore" shooter, Stalker is leaps and bounds more adult than any AAA game.
When the fuck is a game more mature than that. If a shady Soviet experiment is immature aliens coming to earth is just as immature.

Yes.

STALKER is decent game, but it's hardly as "hardcore" as people claim. It's pretty simple action game compared to stuff like ARMA or some arena shooters.

That's why I put hardcore in quotations, every game is easy to learn for what should be the average person except GSG and maybe fighting games & RTS.

I like Jason Brody, because despite how the story being a schizophrenic mess due to the devs having a dozen different ideas all mashed together, he manages to have a strong central character arc, whilst consistently being a complete asshole. He starts off as a generic brodude, bitchy, weak and hypocritical, by the end he's either a butchering, drug popping dog of war or a self-doubting PTSD-inflicted idiot, and inbetween those stages he's a fool playing out a hero fantasy to avoid mentally confronting his situation. It's a mess, but certainly better than any of the bland tripe Far Cry 4 offered up.

It's a helluva lot better than the drek that is most "explanations" for other shitty games

When it's done right, aliens can be very good.

ARMA can be good in a technical sense, but it's hard to put atmosphere to it.

Wrong webm and I can't find the right one. Sorry for derailing the thread though.

Both ARMA and arena shooters are multiplayer-focused, S.T.A.L.K.E.R. is singleplayer (Ray of Hope never). S.T.A.L.K.E.R. is fairly difficult if you don't know what you're doing, and it throws shit at you when you think you've got it all figured out - maybe a nasty mutant, or overequipped enemies, or a blowout that forces you to think and act fast instead of tactically tacticaling your way through the situation.

Relative to other FPS titles from the period and up through today, it's fairly difficult. Just go into any general and wait for someone to bitch about enemies being bullet sponges and the guns being inaccurate. When you throw mods onto it, it will get even harder, because you'll die so fast. Agroprom in AA2.1 was like a fucking Tom Clancy game, only way I survived the outside was by sitting in a building and killing enemies as they tried to enter, and I still got killed a few times.

That's a solid way to put it. But I still maintain that most of the game was a fucked-up fever dream, which also explains the supernatural elements (which FC2 lacked, can't speak for FC1).

They can be, and the core premise of Roadside Picnic was excellent, but S.T.A.L.K.E.R. was a shooter from the start, and Roadside Picnic would be better as an adventure game or as a not-quite-walking-simulator.

In fact, a walking simulator where you have to bring back artifacts from the Zone to keep your wife and mutant daughter fed would be fucking excellent.

Everything done right can be good it's needless to say that.

Had the story team worked with the developers to integrate the story into the gameplay, it could have been really good. Instead of a hostile environment being against you, your own lack of knowledge of what you're doing hinders the gameplay. When guns jam, you don't know how to unjam them, you don't quite know how to treat your wounds (so you don't recover as much health), and you're not very strong, so you can't handle as much combat. They could have kept the experience system but made it internal to the game, so you aren't told that you're becoming stronger, but you experience it as if it is your own work.

They could have killed off your friends, turning it into a revenge story (Jason might have nowhere to go home to, etc). They should have kept Vaas as the only antagonist regardless. The size/length was good, but the obvious midway point was stupid, it could have just been integrated into the game from the beginning.

Basically a tech demo for the engine, pretty solid game for the most part but mutant AI can be fucking retarded. 7/10 with 5 being an average score and compared to other games of that time
Fire is cool as fuck but other than that it feels a bit forced with very short respawn timers and constant random encounters. 5/10
Suit is cool and less random combat bullshit, AI is vastly improved over the previous titles, level design combined with suit mechanics allows many tactics to be valid. 8/10
Shit nigger what are you doing, no new fun mechanic like the previous titles and crafting feels like a chore. Why are you giving me drop farming quests, isn't this meant to be farcry? 4/10
Haven't played it, have no interest in playing it, my first big budget build was specifically for Farcry 1 and it feels like watching a friend with alzheimer's die of MS and at this point.

The story honestly could have been a solid and respectable 8/10 if this was the angle, especially since it actually suits the arc of his character. He gets more and more fearsome, then his only reason to stay "human" is taken away from him. An Apocalypse Now/Spec Ops development where he basically becomes the villain, and it's so natural and understandable that until it's presented from another point of view it doesn't even seem bad. Would have been perfect.

Crysis not a Farcry game and there was nothing before it

You missed the best one!

Far Cry 1 was made by Crytek when they werent shitheads thats why its so superior to the sequels

Far cry 2 was made by Ubishit but directed by a guy that actually cared

But he fucked up a litlle and instead of letting him fix the game they fired him and replaced with a drone with a mission to cawdudefy the game whence the huge pieces of shit that were 3 and 4

I don't know why so many people hated FC2, I though it was great. Yes the driving was slightly tedious, and the infinitely respawning enemy camps were annoying, but apart from that it was quite a fun game.