OG DooM thread

didn't see one in the catalogue

i've personally just started fucking around with mapping, it's really interesting and fun

Other urls found in this thread:

drive.google.com/file/d/0BxbbtKR5bll_bHU5OHhMcy1zS1E/view?usp=sharing
gunlabs.blogspot.com/2011/01/tutorials.html
my.mixtape.moe/sbrhvx.wad
drive.google.com/file/d/0BxbbtKR5bll_Nmd6S2U5YnViY2c/view?usp=sharing
mediafire.com/download/cbxt0yv2ccitdh3/projectmsx_v0.2a.rar
odamex.net/wiki/Compiling_using_CMake#Compiling_Odamex_2
doomworld.com/idgames/levels/doom2/deathmatch/Ports/megawads/32in2413
wad-archive.com/wad/e8e730f56c4d972e42968b5aafb48304
dropbox.com/s/o68iafxaisjify7/ZDL.zip?dl=0
devbuilds.drdteam.org/gzdoom/gzdoom-g2.2pre-1651-g4940f02.7z
filedropper.com/bleh
pastebin.com/mG7F9ktg
doomworld.com/vb/post/1623462
doomworld.com/vb/wads-mods/87784-ancient-aliens-a-megawad-for-boom/
hownew.ru
forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=52276
quaddicted.com/
doomworld.com/idgames/levels/doom2/Ports/s-u/tigrblod
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Nice try shill.

i've been found out

Brutal Doom is the only mod I ever use. all of the other mods look like shit in comparison.

Been checking out some super-indepth stuff lately. Pirate Doom (neat), Golden Souls (nnn), Prodoomer (UGH), gonna be trying out RTC-3057 next.

Readying up for DUMP 3, trying to gather ideas for what would be cool to play through. Been sketching out level layouts.
Also working on a TC of my own, but that's still super early.

I haven't jumped on Zandronum in a long time. The community's been embarrassing lately.

Is there a way to disable the weapon reloading feature in Brutal Doom?

That's because you haven't played PB

it's decent, but it's not the only mod out there buddy

i honestly have no idea, poke around settings

This is the kind of post that makes people hate Brutal Doom even more.

Got home finally, threw this together cause tech demo to see if it works.

All zombiemen, shotgunners, and imps are now Team A, Team B, and Team C. respectively. All monsters on a team hate monsters that are on a team that isn't their team.

Will attack first member of enemy team they see, will attack player if player hits them, and will go back to being normal monsters that also look for enemy team members if they kill the enemy they attacked.

Very very basic at the moment, will add more behavior and distance checks and target saving and prioritization later, also gotta add array management so as of right now if there are more than 1000 monsters on a team shit will break but sleepy now.

Change args sent to all scripts in monster decorate to change their faction.

Factions start at 0, go up to 2 right now. Have to add more factions in acs, just increase array size and set index location.

Anybody feel free to use code for anything.

drive.google.com/file/d/0BxbbtKR5bll_bHU5OHhMcy1zS1E/view?usp=sharing

Anyone got the newest version of the moonman mod?

I've been looking for that as well. All I remember is that the final version needed a hotfix of something and I vaguely remember there being one after that.

I see the chart with all of the mods and wads on it, when are we going to play some of those multiplayer mods?
maybe tonight?

I have a sneaking suspicion you're a South American, a metalhead, a faggot, or any combination of the above. All equally shit.

Doom II is so much better than the first hehe right guys?

Brutal Doom gives me a headache more than anything. And it has so much annoying shit in it like aiming down the sites and having to reload weapons, and dodge rolls instead of something easier like just strafing. Also the maps included with it suck

troled hard LOL!!!!!!

wrong, wrong, and wrong. I am actually a baitmaster. I never even played brutal doom.

i've been looking for this

Does anyone else have issues getting hideous destructor to work? I can't seem to get it to run

Are there any weapon packs that replace the minigun with one of these?

The moonman mod does

How do I get into Doom modding? Even simple sprite-swaps would be good.

The Trooper, although the final version is fairly shite.

Faspons is trying to be a "Vanilla+" mod like people claim Brutal Doom is, except far less cancerous since it focuses on retaining the balance of power between enemies and the player present in Vanilla Doom while adding some elements that make the formula more exciting (ex. enhanced particle effects that aren't obnoxious, Pinkie goblins can leap forward but still are vulnerable after attacking, sergeants now sometimes drop throwable grenades, the pistol is now an automatic rifle like in BD but has limited ammo, and reloading is an option that's turned off by default). It's pretty fucking buzzword.

The trailer's pretty cancerous though.

needs more gore

Download SLADE 3 and look up some Decorate tutorials. I recommend wildweasel's.

gunlabs.blogspot.com/2011/01/tutorials.html

SmoothDoom is cool.

I'm trying to make a regular wad or megawad where you play through the whole thing with a shotgun/super shotgun.

my.mixtape.moe/sbrhvx.wad

There's a Ketchup extension that was made for it. Plus it's open source (or at least more open source than most Doom mods since it has to be compiled from source and contributions from other modders are encouraged by the original creator) so you can mod in gore if you're competent with Doom modding.

I've actually been playing through the Doom/ Wolfenstein bundle I bought from GOG.

I decided to use ZDoom and beat the first game. Doom 2 is interesting but it has way more completely fucked situations in the map involving the poison floors. But the open maps are pretty cool.

I've never been into FPS but I like the doom engine, it pretty fun. These games really hold up.

Eh. I got Ultimate Doom, Doom 2, and Final Doom for like $4 or something.

Did ID give them to the public domain?

i got them for $0
the devs don't give a shit, they don't get any of the money

Huh. So GoG just gets the money?
Did ID software sell the brand off?
I know the new Doom is by Bethesda.

Bethesda and Zenimax own Doom, therefore they get the money

Toddy boy got a fat stack of your naive dosh

any doom mod that turns your guns into spells or something more fantasy like? got a craving for something like Heretic and Hexen.

Oh.

Well.
I heard the new Dooms singleplayer is good though but Im not spending $60 on it.

try going medieval on their asses

Speaking of, when was that last updated? I stopped keeping up with it over a year ago.

Plutonia and TNT with pistol starting each map.
None
Some basic ones to learn how to map.
I don't know how to program
Nothing right now

V6 should be the most recent.

If you see it go on sale for $40 or less get it then. Literally the only good thing is the singleplayer; the multiplayer shouldn't be what it currently is, and snapmap uses the multiplayer engine.

looks 2melle4me but we'll see.

Like ONE dollar

Or $0.00

wow, russian overkill is fucking brilliant

Wrath of Cronos has an RPG levelling system and actual magic spells. Alternatively, you could just load up Samsara with one of the extra character packs, there are a few casters to choose from that way.

How is this any different than Complex Doom?

None of the original team work for id anymore, who gives a shit. Just pirate it and send 5 bucks to John Romero or something.

fuck

those are some nice weapon graphics

I can agree with you on that. Although D44M is a load of shit, its weapons look like they could somehow work as a weapon mod for original Doom. At least the mod creator is balancing the weapons in the mod to fit classic Doom gameplay, so at least something good comes out of it.

that super shotty is beautiful

Got a question for you all m80s

Mouselook/freelook, yes or no?

Discuss.

I play vanilla aim for general gameplay but I have binded freelook to middle mouse click for any time when I want to have a more detailed look around or when there's the odd vertical fight where I can only see the enemy's legs/head from the above/below platform. I seldom use it but it's nice to have.

I see a lot of people using freeaim, but I feel like it takes away from the tightness of the controls and makes the game a lot easier.

Depends on WAD you're playing, most work fine without mouselook and Doom plays better that way but some are obviously meant to be played with mouselook.

In the process of updating this guy, turns out that there was an issue with the look script, not the array management. Fixed now.

Here is current version, not all the features are in (well, none of the features, in this version)

drive.google.com/file/d/0BxbbtKR5bll_Nmd6S2U5YnViY2c/view?usp=sharing

But no bugs, array management so each faction expands as it gets used, and there is support for 50 (0 - 49) factions without ever going into acs.

future version crap below

End goal is a script you can call from decorate without ever having to do anything in acs if you don't want to. Here is what I am planning for the script args:

All flags are condensed into one arg, either just as writing "33" or with a defined constant for 1 and 10 if you need to keep track of it.

–player flags
0 won't target players
1 process players like other targets
2 prioritize player targets

–target processsing flags
0 pick first valid target
1 pick closest target
2 pick random target from valid targets

–max distance to look for target

–min distance for player, in order to target; it won't pick any targets unless a player is at least this close

Both distances are in int, not fixed, since I figured fixed precision isn't necessary and int will be easier for people to read.

Any other behaviors/flags people want? I have a lot more room for flags, and an entire arg open still for things like distance.

OK, I'll put a server up, probably Odamex since it works best on Linux. What WAD will we play?

something stupid and fun

user, I play vanilla DM on 32in24 all day long, I'm very boring person, that's why I ask for suggestions.

Mouselook is fine, freelook is only acceptable with autoaim disabled (except in Strife, don't use freelook at all)

What about MoonDoom?

I was thinking about 32in24-13 with Bubblegum Crisis but MoonDoom would work.

I want to coop through the original doom with some Anons. I've been playing with GZDoom for a while now and haven't really tested any other mods because I mostly just want to play the original game at higher res and some quality of life features.

How do I hook up with you lads? I'd like to use mumble to cooperate, too. (we can use the server Mark hates).

Playing KDiZD
Project Brutality/ Demon Steele
None yet, want to though
See above
Not a pvp fan

I've been playing this recently. GZDoom > Chocolate Doom. Also, I can see the addicting appeal for 1995 audiences, but I think I am simply too used to shooters, so it seems very antiquated. The default control scheme is strange, for example. I had to tailor it to a more modern style (WSAD movement, shift to run, space bar to jump, right click to interact, etc). I don't know if it's just me, but I can't play this for extended periods. I have to take a break from time to time. I guess it's also a part of the age; in modern games, when you die, progress is moments away, whereas a mistake in Doom will cost you an entire level's worth of progress, and I guess I'm just too used to having victory handed down on a silver platter. It's not that I can't take losing; I just sort of lose motivation to play when I think about that I have to retread the entire level before I can get back to the point at which I died. Maybe I'm just psyching myself out or something.

Doom does allow you to save your game y'know
If you really hate losing a levels worth of progress you can just savescum

You can't take losing.

Yeah, I know. I guess I'm just saying that I get easily burnt out and maybe that's one reason why. Maybe it's because I'm just generally losing interest in vidya and not even older, great titles can't hold my interest any longer

I don't even know how to respond to this.

Please kill yourself. The cringe is real.

This is actually good idea. Server going up with old-school coop.

OK, Ultimate Doom coop, UV. Using Odamex 0.7, server is gopher.su, port 10666.

Doom is casualized shit. Pre-order cancelled.

Trying to download it but makepkg is giving me errors. Will have to troubleshoot for a bit.

do you eat shit?

I'll keep the server running for while so no rush user.

What the fuck, no it isn't
mediafire.com/download/cbxt0yv2ccitdh3/projectmsx_v0.2a.rar

Ugh, I dunno wtf to do.

odamex.net/wiki/Compiling_using_CMake#Compiling_Odamex_2
You're probably missing some dependencies or using old CMake.

that's right, I forgot, it's a Saturday, no school

Not that I can tell.

cool, I'll be on in a bit, downloaded odamex.

Are you using the tarball or repo?

AUR repo

Try the tarball, AUR might be trying to pull from git.

Does anyone have a link to the latest version of Moonman Doom?

Thanks, user.

I can't figure this out. I always just install from pacman.

Download tarball, unpack somewhere, follow the compilation instructions.

Also one user is playing right now so someone go help him I'm on fucking workstation so I can only connect to admin console.

I did. Still got 2nd picture error, except with no red text.

Honestly, it seems like problem with buildchain, if you unpacked the tarball and ran
mkdir build && cd build && cmake ..
in the directory it should just build on most systems. Check if you have FMOD and SDL dev packages installed.

Yes, I unpacked it and ran that. That's the error it outputs.

I don't even know anymore. No DOOM tonight I guess. Back to Legend of Grimrock 2.

No idea then user, I really think it's problem with CMake or GCC version.

Oblige random mapset, new one after every complete set is done. Coupled with Doom RPG and RLA.
DoomRPG when it's not crashing like a whiny bitch, and DoomRLA all day every day because Brutal Doom is for sissy boys.
IRON
IRON
The Zandronum community is cancerous brutal doom and doom 4 shills. Fuck 'em.

Just finished all episodes of the first DOOM

So…Thy Flesh Consumed. What the fuck was that?

At that point I can't be arsed. Finding secrets in this game is always a fucking slog. I just idclip and iddt them, and I hope nobody is autistic enough to bother spend even ten minutes running around, spamming E against random walls.

Best episode in the franchise.

The prequel episode to DooM II - Basically was released with Ultimate DooM to give people something new to play before DooM II, if they weren't already playing with custom wads, and some of the arguably best designed maps.

Most secrets just give later guns earlier or soulspheres/backpacks anyway.

E2M4 after some friendly fire accidents, bad ammo management, usual UV bullshit and few missed secrets ended up suicidal rush against barons with nothing but pistols, cacodemon punching contest and rushing through acid with 2 health left.
Real Doom coop experience and I loved it.

they were made after doom 2 as a bonus incentive to get people to buy ultimate doom

Basically Doom was first released with "get the first episode for free, register for the rest" shareware model that was dominant on PC back in the early 90's.

By the time of Doom 2 the market had shifted though and it made more sense to just sell the games outright so Id wanted to re-release Doom as a whole package. This did seem a little cheap so they threw together a new fourth episode to give the re-release some more reason to exist (and perhaps a chance to sell the same game again to people who already owned a registered version). It's a bit like you throw in an extra CD with rarities and outtakes to sell a box set.

**hey anyone got a link to Quake and a similar inforgraphc like the one posted
?**

bump for great justice

It's summer just started over here and it will never end.

Anyone got a guide on how to use Doomseeker to start a CO-OP server?

I too would like to know this.

I see some user tried making one above but I don't know if he still has it up

Well, more specifically I wanted to make a WolfenDOOM CO-OP server for shits n giggles.

What comes first, TNT or plutonia?

What comes first, TNT or plutonia?

thanks hotwheels

Finished making my first wad.

Brutal Doom is the best mod in existence.

It looks like shit, I can tell it plays like crap from here.

Nobody cares about your stupid coop mod that makes the game even easier.

Lmao at autistic manbabbies still mapping and modding for a game that came out in 1992
Nobody cares, back to cuckchan with you if you expect a hugbox to lick your ass for shitting out a turd.

Lemme guess, you "create content" for some gay old game so you think you're better than other gamers, right?

Wow that it such abutthurt description of pol.wad, I guess the anally annihilated redditor was offended by the depiction of PoC, lol. I guess we should be glad zhe didn't add a trigger warning to zhir write up.

Fuck off faggots

That explains alot

How much ammo/guns are on that map total? It doesn't look like there's enough compared with the monster count.

gopher.su at port 10666 is back online, Odamex classic deathmatch.
WAD used: doomworld.com/idgames/levels/doom2/deathmatch/Ports/megawads/32in2413

I'll keep it running for whole week.

Waiting for user to play with

So guys, what's your opinion on Doom 64?

I'd say TNT first, then Plutonia

It's the real Doom 3.

gg user

Playing Downtown on DOOM 2.

God dammit this is such a fucking drag. I liked DOOM 1's map design better.

Gonna play Valiant. Anyone got any thoughts on it?

Anyone here plays on zdaemon?

It's a fun level pack. Freelook is okay because some levels have high drops and such.

Not really.

Doom 2 has the worst levels of the whole franchise.
I still can't understand why people hate Nirvana, though, but Downtown, Factory, The Chasm, and Icon of Sin are downright awful.

It's fun.
The maps are monster-dense, and it gets pretty difficult towards the later episodes.

It adds a couple of new enemies (a flying arachnotron brain, zombie suicide bomber) as well as altering the behaviors of vanilla monsters (imp throws two fireballs in quick succession, arachnotrons have a chance to spawn the flying brain version on death, et al).

My one gripe is that the above alterations are based on DeHackEd, making the .wad incompatible with any other gameplay mod.

Is ReMooD the active only source port that allows for split-screen co-op?

We are going to play it or what?

so I played through doom for the first time ever. ultimate doom in zdoom to be precise.
one thing I can say is that it was a slight mistake to use zdoom since I just could not keep myself from abusing the jump from time to time.

anyway, I started doom2 and while the doublebarrel and the new enemies are fun the maps are kinda boring. I mean one lvl was just a rectangular arena with 2 diffent kinds of enemies. There are way too many shotgun/rifle zombies and not enough ambushes but maybe I'm just getting used to enemies popping up and nothing really scares me anymore. should I skip right to final doom?

Can someone get in on this? I'm fucking bored

I can't find it

In Odamex, open console with tilde, "connect gopher.su", hit enter.
That's it.

What's the problem of not using Zandronum? Asides from the cancer community, which we can boot out with a password. It even has lag correction for deathmatch and can be configured to force no-freelook and classic rules.

Host one then zandro won't compile with my server's ancient version of GCC.

Does anyone know any good mods that make me play as some demons?

I have found a few already but they seem slow and boring with a huge lacking amount of weapons to use.

Preferably something that works with brutal doom so I can do some fatality kills

Id be willing to try the shores of hell again tbh

they look… redundant, unsatisfying and boring. especially that gauss gun.

Anyone have the mega with caco award wads?

Does BDLite even have the kill sequences? Because if not, then you would be out of luck, unless you want to play as a Demon with DoomGuy's weapons.

Brutal doom stuff should have kill animations for every demon.

But a demon with doomguys weapons would be a bit pointless.

If I was to play as a demon I'd want to use their weapons also or something extra.

Well then you won't get kill animation; Brutal Doom replaces the weapons with Doomguy's weapons and is incompatible with any mod that changes weapons for that reason, and Brutal Doom Lite lacks the kill animations.

Well thats a shame, thanks for the info.

I've been playing DemonSteele. Holy shit it's so much fun.

Should be the newest…
wad-archive.com/wad/e8e730f56c4d972e42968b5aafb48304

I just started playing doom2 mods a few months ago. Really enjoyed pirate doom, and I'm making my way through ancient aliens. But I have a question: how the fucking fuck do you beat map 5 of plutonia? It seems like there isn't even enough ammo to kill everything.

And it will be better game than DooD itself.

Plutonia is full of bullshit, some maps on UV basically have you relying on infighting and crushers to get 100% kills. Just blitz it and conserve the ammo.
And try Colonial Marines WAD, it's pretty good update to Alien TC.

Recommend me some WADs you think play well with Demonsteele. Don't even have to be slaughterwads which seems what everyone recommends.

Scythe, Vanguard and Hellground play great with it.

Been trying to play Pirate Doom but it keeps erroring on launch. im probably retarded

Try ZDoom Launcher and make sure you're using GZDoom.

Ive tried it with ZDoom and zandronum so far

Use ZDL
dropbox.com/s/o68iafxaisjify7/ZDL.zip?dl=0
When you run that make sure to have doom2 as the iwad and GZDoom
devbuilds.drdteam.org/gzdoom/gzdoom-g2.2pre-1651-g4940f02.7z
as the source port
On the external files part put in the pirate doom wad.

Im trying to set glboom+ for playing BTSX, but I have this texture problem you see in left picture, under the platform.

Right picture shows how it should work (that's on zandronum, but I want to set this for boom for reasons).

Try it in chocolate or zdoom, BTSX is supposedly vanilla compatible. And double check if you loaded DEH before loading the WAD.

I forgot to mention that normal prboom+ works just fine
glboom+ seemed to run better, but it has problems with invisible textures

I think I'll tweak a bit more with prboom+ and see if I can get it to run smoothly

The second-last level is alright, though. But most of the rest of it sucks design wise.

Haven't played the ultimate doom's series of episodes in a year or two so I've been replaying that as Douk in Samsara. Nice little change without anything too drastic. Except, the exploding shotgun is a little OP to only be on slot 3, but other than that, good fun.

I only play the crazier mods on custom levels.

Carmack says you should pirate games and, if you like them, donate directly to the developers.

Sure, why not.
filedropper.com/bleh

Nice WAD.

It felt quite expansive, most of doom levels I played felt more like a mix of claustrophobic and opened sections, that was mostly because your ceiling was always high, it's not a problem though, it's just new.

Found a couple of missing textures.

Damn, I'll have to fix those.

LOL

Laughing out loud! :D

Your textures are all over the place dude. Have transitions before moving to a completely different texture.
There was a chaingun on a pedestal even though i killed 3 chaingun guys beforehand.
You gave me a megasphere but there wasn't that much difficulty to warrant it, but maybe that's just me.
It was okay

Buy a key on G2A for $40. There's your sale.

Thanks mr salesman

Waiting for DRLA to update before tackling Ancient Aliens and JPCP.

Make sure to play with friendly fire on

Personally, I go with freelook and all autoaim turned off. It feels more natural to me.
PC gaming has always been about tweaking games to take advantage of new tech. It's only logical to play in high resolution 16:9 with better controls.

Binding "jump" however is haram.

I play with crouching enabled

Guncaster is amazing. It breaks every single map it loads and I love it.

check the /vr/ thread

I'm curious what wad has the most monsters on it.

nuts

I just did this too, holy shit we had fun.

reminder that all "retro old-school" reboots are all hot garbage

Does anyone have a complete list for all of the Roguelike Arsenal Assemblies? This is the only one I could find and I know it's missing some of them: pastebin.com/mG7F9ktg

I am kinda curious what map has most monsters without having them copypasted on one big arena in shitty slaughtermap-style.

Also, been playing Back to Basics. Shit's pretty good.

What is a good base game for it? It was displayed on Hexen, right?

Thanks for the criticism. I'll keep that in mind for the future.

It works best with Hexen with datadisk. Anything that uses inventory system and some sort of mana/magic is good match for GC, you can also try it with Ancient Ayyliens or Stardate 20x6 for maximum ball tripping.

Sadly it doesn't work with Strife.

I just made this for zand:

Maps of chaos expands the original maps and adds more enemie spawns.

This is pretty rad, does it work with mods?

Can we agree to call Doom (2016) "WOOD"?

I hate having to refer to the original doom as "the original doom" or a variation of that, instead of just "DOOM"

But user, DOOT is already a thing.

I haven't really enjoyed doot ever since it became reddit's maymay du jour.

Or rather I should say mr skeltal.

Fucking Ancient Aliens is glorious. Been a while a wad kicked me so fucking hard in the balls while I smiled.

looks like a Sonic level.

Oh fuck yes

It doesn't work with weapon mods, but doesn't replace any monsters so should work with monster mods. If there's one you want it to work with, from the thread:

>For those wanting to use this to have similar pickups for their favorite mod: all you need to do is modify the **_Pickup_00 actor at the top of each decorate file, for instance "Backpack_Pickup_00" to look the way it should in the "CanSee" state, and have the normal custominventory pickup checks starting from the "PickupSuccess", eg treat "PickupSuccess" as if it was the "Pickup" state in a normal pickup. You'd also need to edit the actor to have the pickup message and pickup sound you want. Note that you only need to know decorate to do this; no knowledge of acs is required!

Well, Doomguy and Sonic are both fast. Deepest lore.
But really dude, go play that shit, you'll love it
here:

doomworld.com/vb/wads-mods/87784-ancient-aliens-a-megawad-for-boom/

I know what'll be playing today.

What do you guys think about the remade Doom levels by Romero, e1m8b and e1m4b?
I'd like to see a whole remake of the city levels in Doom 2, but in the meantime, I'll take his levels, since they were better than the original versions.

Have you played the Neighbors from Hell and After the Holocaust wads? They're pretty good remakes of the city level.

I think they are pretty creative especially e1m4, it also shows the dude still knows what he is doing.

Here's my first attempt at a map. It didn't go so well at first…

This Guncaster thing is damn good. Balance feels to be a bit all over the place. Playing on the hardest. Pretty easy so far, but there's still a tingling sensation that I might be hitting a wall when the levels get more crowded.

e1m8b is really good. Excellent sense of combat, exploration and aesthetics. e1m4b was kinda basic overall with random good moments. Felt like it could've used more polish.

big levels, tons of enemies enough bullets for each type of gun but I can still screw myself if I use too much. And some theme wads to fit the pace I tossed into my game.
Anyone wanna hook a guy up with something like this?
I feel like playing Doom, but needing more

Modding's fun

The texture set's also there too, if you want to try and make your own levels in the style.

Updated with version that allows you to use a puked script (default "L" key) while spectating to change what items you view to one of a player that is currently in the game, so that you can see the items that they see.

The puked script does cause a slight bit of lag when used, however, so it has an 8 second timer global for all players.

This version would probably be best to use when playing with friends, or in a passworded server, and not so much playing in a public server where people might try to use the puke to cause lag at an inopportune moment and kill you.

Nice, Good goy supporting Bethesda!

The shareware episode was free, registered Doom, Ultimate Doom and Doom II weren't.
Then Carmack made it "free" in the FSF meaning of the term when released the source.

Agree with the sentiment, though. Fuck Zenimax.

I seriously don't understand this. I fucking love old doom, don't get me wrong, but the new one is mayhaps one of the best shooters in over a decade. It's fantastic, and I hate the 'hardcore' classic doom community who just hate it because it's new.

It's mostly just people on this site. Lots of completely unrealistic expectations. And also Bethesda hate (which isn't exactly unjustified).

I completely agree, fuck Bethesda/Zenimax, but not acknowledging a good game, great even, is even worse.

I was expecting the first post to be calling me a shill

I hate the level design and pacing in nuDoom, so I'd rather just play Doom.

Is there anything Doom can't do?

Will try to run this with gzdoom to know what is going to happen.

There is a fuck ton of reasons of why people hate it, being new isnt even the reason or the main cause of the hate. Dont worry, the 'hardcore' classic doom community might fix this by making a .wad of it for go old Doom.

It just fucks up at being Doom, simple as that, but in many ways.

A kart racer.

I would say top down sprites for the Doom enemies when you look down directly above them. I don't think ever see that attempted in the recent Doom source ports before.

That, and laser beams that are not projectiles extremely close to each other or railgun hitscans. The closest I could find for a proper laser beam is vid related.

And how'd that project turn out? :^)

If SRB2 can get Doom to do slope physics, it can do a kart racer.

The problem with having a top-down sprite is that you then need to have a transition sprite for each directional sprite for each animation that has directional sprites, if you don't want it to look like shit. That's an awful lot of work to fix a small thing that everyone is already used to.

I wish this wasn't furshit, though.

Don't be neurotic. You sound like one of those clowns that cannot enjoy a good game because it has something that reminds SJW-agenda to them. Besides, it makes it better in a way.

Though the writing is fucking horrible and I would scratch that one up to the furfaggotry. It's hard to categorize, but a lot of the menu-texts and in-game messages have this stupid-ass tone where it kinda tries to be funny but comes off as juvenile or weird.

That looks adorable. :3

why are you playing this dated garbage lol doom 4 is out you dummies

is he neutered….!?!?

people who still play this ms dos game instead of the new one with impressive 3d models and lighting effects are the ones who are neutered

Thanks, Todd, you've convinced me. I'll be sure to give your company all my money so that you can better exploit whatever companies you get your hands on.

guess who just got a raise?

guess who just got a raise? ;^)

hey bill what do you want from chipotle?

My name is Vladislav, and I have no idea what chipotle is.

I honestly can't tell if that comment is a callout for shilling or a boner-joke

hownew.ru

Because I suggested it being a boner-joke or because I suggested it being about shilling?

Anyways, to get some relevant and peaceful discussion going on, lemme ask you: which gameplay mod is the best?
I might go with Guncaster. It's an overall fun package that flows well despite needing plenty of work with balancing, but I might have some recent memory bias as well.

How the hell do you do a wall jump in Prodoomer?

It's clearly about shilling you dense motherfucker.

Are you switching IPs? Why do you have to hide, user?

I was actually referring to the sexy dragon, and user above - to shilling.

That's not even a good example of modification. It's in the Boom Format, or as I like to call it, the Boom Engine, which is Doom with some added features that are good for level-makers and players. Trust me, there are mods that take Doom to fucking absurdity.

i didn't expect much since no one good works there anymore, but they really fucked it up.

level design is worse than old games and random maps made by people from the community
mapping tools are shit, no mods
gameplay is some sort of painkiller mixed with halo, with stupid shit like upgrades
glory kills aren't really optional
multiplayer is shit, there are free arena shooters that can do it better
cutscenes
an actual story for some reason
no port to GNU/Linux despite it being an OpenGL game, because Denuvo
will probably never be open source

Why did they go for that Painkiller gameplay anyway? There are very few instances of you being locked into a room in Doom.
I know Doom 3 loved to do that stuff but why copy something from a game that was considered bad?

It seems like Doom 4 is a lot like Doom 3 in regard to it being a mediocre game on it's own and a terrible one for a Doom title.

it's easier to design a game that is essentially nothing but event flags and static spawns that come out in intervals the give the illusion of dynamic encounters.

DooD reminds me of Quake 4 more than anything else - it's not the horrible puddle of liquid shit but it's not good either. It's just so fucking mediocre and generic that if it didn't have the famous name written on box it would just be discarded as another average sci-fi shooter.
Doom 3 at least had the wow factor of new engine, DooD is so bland it will be forgotten in few months.

I honestly think that the engine probably couldn't handle sprawling maps. For one it limits the amount of monsters you have active at a time, second it limits the amount of aeshtetic assets you need to have loaded at a time.

Also if you didn't already - try The Last Sanctuary that got reviewed on /newstuff now, holy shit it's jawsome. Map 01 replacement that is bigger than some megawads with more tricks and engine stretching than anything I've seen lately.

If you expected "classic Doom but with modern graphics", that is an unrealistic expectation. Modern rendering techniques just cannot allow for the types of things that was present in the original Doom games to be made in a modern engine. You can't have a hundred enemies on screen, it would take up too much memory, and same goes for dead bodies on the ground.

Knowing this, they had to make a game that could appeal to people wanting an old school shooter experience AND the modern console idiot, which I'm sure they were pressured by their higher-ups a Zenimax to do so.

If you consider all these things, it's a miracle this game even came out as halfway decent as it did. Of course there are quite a few things I'd make adjustments to, but when the bar for entry for the Doom series is "better than Doom 3" and you consider the scrapped CoD clone that was originally Doom 4, I think new Doom is a pretty good game in it's own right.

Serious Sam, nigger.

Dead Rising also has lots of emenies on screen at once.
The new id engine is just really shit. Just look at Rage. That megatexture idea really didn't work out. It's like they've seen the texture pop-in of the Unreal engine and thought it'd be really cool if it happened everytime you look around you.

Doesn't matter anymore. Nobody with talent works at id. I don't expect there to be a new engine from them ever. Bethesda is still using Gamebryo and they will keep id-Tech 5 (?) until hell freezes over.

Use whatever your use key is bound to. It can be held down as well for the same effect.

Doom never made me feel like I was actually in hell until that exact moment.

And this is why graphics fags are terrible. We've got loads of shitty engines that can struggle to get 60 fps at 1080p and yet they don't have optimization for what should be important, getting active enemies on screen.

Sad day when you have to admit an engine from the 90s that couldn't even really render in 3d is more technically impressive than a modern engine.

This is just mean.

Some MKDev dude is working on a crack apparently. We'll see what comes out of that. I already played it through family sharing and it's a good game to play for $0.

I'd even say it's a good DOOM game, but I honestly wish it was called DOOM 4 like it should've been.

Say what you will about the game not being like the original but it's still a big step-up from the snorefest that is DOOM 3.

E4M2 just feels a bit tough because it and E4M1 don't spoil you with excess guns and health. During and after E4M3 it kinda normalizes back into regular challenge.
Fuck me, E4 is really good.

Incompatibility issues? Sounds fucking rad, please webm it.

Fucking Terminus

I did feel like there was too much ammo being thrown at me. I was basically just using the shotgun and chaingun most of the game. First time I used the BFG was against the boss of E3.

It's not an incompatibility issue. Ketchup is supposed to be a "gore only" version of BD, but it actually isn't at all because it still replaces the monsters. Not exactly sure how it works but Term wrote up a little something that detects when BD is being used and spawns a shitton of revenants on you, people have been doing it for a while now.

Masterfully trolled.

If you want to play as an Imp, try Impatience. You start off as a regular Imp against doomguy.

thy flesh consumed is the reason why Doom 2 level design is shit

I figured I might as well play it before I move on to Doom 2.

Thx, i got it eventually.
I'm on lvl 23 now. Pretty fuking hard atm.

Do you have a link to the script?

The Ultimate Doom came out after Doom II, though.
>mfw my power went out right after I typed this

Doom 1 has better music and levels than doom 2, doom 2 just has more content. You are better off playing wads for doom 2 that change the music and levels to be more like doom 1.

also e4 a shit

Trying to add a .wad to zdoom and it won't show up in the list. It's in the same folder as all my other wads and I tried dragging the wad onto zdoom. zdoom starts and the list comes up, but the one I'm trying to add isn't there.

You can edit zdoom.ini to load a set of wads directly, if you have patience and/or isnt a scrub.
or use ZDL

honestly just use ZDL, best way to manage multiple ports, wads, and IWADS

How is prodoomer, anyway? I've been looking for a massive timesink and it seems to be just what i'm iching for

forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=52276
They are doing another Dump. What are good settings for Doom Builder?

I actually really liked E4. It kicks your ass something fierce on M1 but M2 isn't as bad as people make it out to be. You just have to ignore many enemies on M1 and get to the next map with decent HP and a couple of shells.

I also really like Doom 2. I don't get all the hate for it in this thread.

(You)

(You)
New regular version is up. Performance for it has been increased.
Now pickups use clientside inventory jumps instead of running the script again every time a player runs over them to determine whether they should be seen or not.
Global array has proper cleanup at map end.
Spawner actors themselves now never check if a new player has entered the map in coop. Instead, in coop an open script runs and determines if any new players have entered the map, and if so sets all spawner actors to the state where they spawn items. This state setting has been set to take place over 8+(longer the more items there are) seconds so that any effects on server are minimized.

you baby killing monster

What faggotry. I always kill everything. The only thing I might consider bullshit in that map's design is the fake wall -alcoves watching the red key with hitscanners in em. And if you run out of ammo with the Nine Inch Nails, you either run like a bitch or go fisticuffs like a man. Hope you remembered to get that rocket launcher and punched those Spectres before instead of wasting ammo on them.

I think what's irking people about the map is that it's not really meant to be beaten maxed on first run. It's a small map with plenty of shit that can fuck you up bad, and there's nearly not enough ammo unless you know the secrets and conserve it like a hebrew. It's actually more akin to something like Hotline Miami than a traditional Doom-map, intense fun and I fucking love it.

Doom UDMF, ZDoom ACS.

Welp, just finished the first DOOM on Ultra-Violence. Easily 10/10.

Gonna play DOOM II sooner or later and then work through Final and Plutonia and the rest.

well shit, you're in luck
fast forward to 11:20
even does the BD barrel toss, nice

What are considered the three best megawads ever made?

I'm sorry but I just can't bring myself to invest in vidya that is locked to MicroCuck platforms. I think the only exception I'd make is for my favourite game series (tekken) because there's no way i wouldn't play that on PC if I could.

But yeah the worst thing about nuDoom isn't all the casual shit… it's that it's wangblows only and no DRM free version, either. So much wasted potential for the map creator and everything. Life is suffering.

What's up with GZDoom's current dynamic light rendering? It looks worse than in previous versions and runs like shit. Pic not really related.

Been playing Heretic recently. Even though it is palette swaped doom with a few new things (crossbow, water tiles and inventory to name a few) it is still pretty fun. What are some other doom total conversions, prefferably well done, keeping the pace and with a lot of hidden secrets like original doom and heretic.

Chex Quest

I guess Call of Duty is a Quake total conversion now?

anyway to your question

meant to say CoD is Quake 3 total conversion

Is there a way to extract the music directly from the iwads? I really need the Doom 2 soundtrack in my life.

I'll tell you what I want, what I really, really want.

A wad that replaces Doom enemies with Heretic counterparts.

If I want Heretic weapons in Doom, I can just use Samsara, but I'd like a little monster variety in my Doom levels since I've played them all half a thousand times by now.

they are MIDI tracks, if you want it to sound like how it was originally composed google for mp3 recordings done off a real Roland SC-55, otherwise there are numerous remix versions to choose from.

also Hexen, not sure how I left that out

Guncaster is kind of close to that in that it lets you use guns in Heretic

So anyone know any fast paced doom like games? I downloaded the demo for shadow warrior and painkiller and the run speed in both those games slow.

Try AvP99

So GMOTA got an upgrade a few days ago, but I still don't know what the "Unleasher" does.

Still need to know about the Shining Knight upgrade too since he changed that around as well.

Link? I thought it was dead.

Ah fuck, my fault. I looked at the month and day, and not the year.

But at least he did post a couple months ago in his main thread.

Honestly I kinda wish he did make a comeback for this project.

Quake 1, some sick campaigns and maps.
quaddicted.com/

I'm playing on ZDoom because it allows me to play with WASD + mouse.

Why are the monsters sometimes fighting each other?

It's a glitch. Id Software was just a small indie studio back then and they really weren't that competent in programming.

Because their AI is designed to fight back at whatever is attacking them, which can include other monsters using projectiles.

And considering most of them are mindless beasts, that's not surprising.

Gabe Newel himself put it in the game because it reminded him of his mom and dad fighting over the Super Nintendo and Sega Genesis which caused him to go his own way and invent the PC.

Either this makes Doom 4 even more pointless, or it brings more underage Brutal Doom 4 players into the modding community.

can't it do both?

The first half of E1M8b i.e. the whole part before the red door was pure brilliance. It's a great showcase of Romero's creativity in having so many ways a handful of rooms can connect and interact with one another. This is a small map compared to most of the levels found in megawads yet it's much more replayable than most of them because of all the interconnections it has between its rooms that allow you to go through them in different orders and face the same enemy encounters in different ways. The secret area of the nukage canal leading into a later part of the map, keeping some areas of that later part closed to control progression but giving the player an opportunity to soften up the ambush waiting behind the yellow door, then letting the player get back to the starting room through the window where the first shotgunguy ambushes you was just jaw-droppingly clever. This is even more impressive if you take into account that Doom isn't a real 3D game nor is it capable of room-over-room like Build engine games are. The rooms are packed so tightly together that going through the nukage canal made me feel like I was doing the impossible and going under a room in Doom, I had to check my automap to find out how Romero found the space to fit such a route.

E1M4b is all about making heavy reuse of a central area in a level and constantly altering it and opening it up to keep things fresh and to escalate the action. It's not as impressive as E1M8b, but it makes use of an important technique that more mappers should utilize. Very few FPSs make extensive use of shifting walls and floors as Doom (NuDoom certainly didn't, and not enough people bring up this point) and this map showcases the merits of that aspect well and why it should be enshrined. Also, the encounter before the exit with the walls opening up and revealing a large but initially seemingly non-threatening horde of enemies coming at you from a distance only to surprise you at the last second that there's a whole bunch of spectres among them was genius (although you would have ruined the surprise if you played on an OpenGL renderer since they don't cloak the spectre as effectively as the software renderer does). This is a map that only uses Doom 1's limited monster roster but still manages to make a very memorable encounter even after 20 years since the game was released.

I've read some people say that people overrate these maps simply because they're from Romero but I really think that these maps have shown that Romero has a tremendously good understanding of the merits of Doom and really knows how to play to its strengths, perhaps even more than most of its mappers currently do.

Eh, Zion is looking better. Tried it, looks really nice and the weapons have great feedback (sans lightning gun). It's even got the weapon mods and transformation runes.
My complaints are how it changes balance. Shotgunguys are fucking dangerous as hell and hell knights get an AoE fireball. Explosive weaponry also has some pathetic range and the vortex rifle has shit damage output. But it's a work in progress and it's been fun to play with Back to Saturn X.
Maybe I'm just saying this because project msx hasn't had an update in fucking years now. RIP in piece.

I fucking love any map that uses shifting walls and floors to transform itself into different layouts.

it's mostly an adaptation of an existing mod (that he cites in the description)
the deaomins are his though, pretty cool

I only linked the video for the demons. the Doom 4 weapons are boring as shit. oh boy, an instagib railgun, what a brilliant idea for singleplayer PvE.

Get this if you don't already have it

doomworld.com/idgames/levels/doom2/Ports/s-u/tigrblod

They're excellent, and one of the reasons why I haven't entirely written off Blackroom (though I'm not going to back it. Kinda cant wait for the demo though)

Didn't know you were a comedian