ITT: spin-off titles that are superior to every game of the main series

ITT: spin-off titles that are superior to every game of the main series

Other urls found in this thread:

mega.nz/#!z1AEVDqa!-uZOZnXmji3ZJcFjWerEYCvMYbewqfJ8DK4BJJ0YqVU
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

I recently finally played Dark Messiah, and to be honest, I didn't much care for it at all. Since I've seen it mentioned every now and then for years and years now, I expected more.

So I guess my question is: Is OP saying that the rest of the Might and Magic games were just plain bad, or did OP think Dark Messiah was a lot better than I did?

DM:MM would have been my other pick.

I think it's better than Nocturne. Bully me.

The stealth aspect of it's pretty good

DDD is much more approachable for a jrpg fan and a good intro to a lot of modern SMT concepts (except demon summoning of course). If you played it after Nocturne, maybe go back and give it another go.

Saying Dark Messiah is superior to the rest of MM is like posting this.

haha

In my playthrough I didn't try to go for stealth at all, maybe that's why I didn't like it.

Well the best game from Gen 6 anyway.

Well, the order I played SMT is a bit fucked. Reading about the #FE clusterfuck>Devil Survivor>SMTIV (I only had a 3DS at the time)>Nocturne>Raidou 1>DDS
And DDS was the one I had the most fun with. The mantra system is greatly satisfying, the party is good, and the hindu aesthetics are amazing. I don't dislike Nocturne, though. I haven't finished it but I definitely will one day.

I basically picked it up just so I could do stealth since FPS stealth is a obscure as fuck genre.

It has some clear inspiration from thief.

It just sucks when it starts to get linear again. Environmental kills also added a bit to the stealth aspect.

Not better than the old games. But compared to the newer main series games of resident evil, revelations is much better.

Wew. That's just retarded.

Yeah, I totally agree. DDS is a great spin off for those reasons, along with the music. It's really unique compared to the rest of the series, or any other rpg at all.

Did you enjoy you enjoy Raidou 1? I hear a lot of people dislike it, but I thought it was great. The world and the satire on familiar SMT monsters and concepts was neat. Even if the gameplay wasn't great, it was goofy and fun.

That's cool. It's one of the harder titles to get into, since it's pretty much a pure dungeon crawler, without much story.
If you want to play another SMT game, I recommend Strange Journey. Excellent dungeon crawler.

Jesus christ, what happened there? I'll lay off the crack next time.

SotN
Megaman X
Heroes of Might and Magic
Tribes
Shin Megami Tensei in general is a spin-off a much larger series of light novels that had a couple games of it's own correct?
Final Fantasy seems an odd one to pick off spin-offs from because every numbered game is basically a spin-off but comprises the main series, yet ones without numbers immediately following the moniker are spin-offs.

So like X-2 and XIII-2 are sequels but FFXII: Revenant Wings is more of a spin-off.

Vagrant Story is set in Ivalice where one FF mainline title takes place, and one true spin-off, but it lacks the name.

FFII begat FFL which begat SaGa.

That series is so borked up.

I wont say MM games are bad, but Dark messiah was amazing. There should be more linear, half life-like games, making open levels only leads to worse level design

The melee combat was awkward though.

Third one is probably a reach but it's the only one of that series I has any real fun with.

Oh please, the Adventure games were better. Not that all three don't have tremendous flaws.

that shit was so much fun

i cried salty tears when bf3 came out and just reduced shit to barebones

you fucking dissing red alert 2 nigger
zero hour was good tho

Hows airride modoki coming along?

You're a fag alright.

Yeah, I really disliked how linear it was. Even when it got slightly more open, I never felt comfortable exploring because who knows when you'd hit a point of no return? They weren't always obvious.

Environmental kills were kinda cool, but I never understood why sometimes I'd kick a dude and he'd fly back into spikes and other times he'd just stagger a little. Really, melee combat overall seemed too much like random flailing. Only fighting method that really consistently worked for me was archery. It was cheap, but often you could find a decent hiding place the AI had a hard time navigating to and then you could just arrow everything. It was the only fighting method I could find that didn't feel like just randomly trading blows.

FF spin-offs in general seems to be better than main series.
Only one I beat so far so I won't say something I cannot confirm myself.

Dark Messiah is quite fucking awesome but at the same time HoMM is quite strong series also.
At least besides 4,6,7.

I still want a sequel for it btw.

I like Dark Messiah a lot, but Heroes 3 will always be the best M&M by far.

also

Fate/Zero > Fate/Stay Night

Emiya Kiritsugu > Emiya Shiro

wew

Halo Wars definitely had something that I always felt was missing in the original games.
Too bad the gameplay was shallow due to console limitations.

Here's your (You).

MyNigger.jpg

I dont think anyone considers tactics as a spinoff. At least not the first one.

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck you….I didn't want to be angry today.

I was watching something on youtube, people being nostalgic about bf3 i was facepalming the entire time it was retarded and they were saying how great the destruction was in bf3 compared to bf4….I was thinking
"nigga in bfbc2 you could level entire houses, buildings and it didn't need 'levelution' bullcrap. "it was great i want another bad company game not battlenigger 1 call of muslim woman on a horse.

It is by definition a spinoff as it exists outside the core series and has completely different gameplay.

You would be the first person I've seen who doesn't consider it a spinoff.

I was referring more to the ones where you could shoot shit and it'd fall on mothafuckas. But yeah the fighting probably wasn't the strong point. I mostly avoided it.

Do people still play bad company 2?

No idea lad, the gunplay felt better, plus I really enjoyed the vietnam expansion… Think I might go back and play it.

nah

Not a huge achievement.

I didn't get too far into Raidou to be honest, I liked the premise but it felt so damn grindy early on. I just downloaded the rom again though.

I don't think so. I tried to go back and play it again a couple years, and there were like ~15 total active servers, and like 3 that were east coast. I imagine the situation has only gotten worse.

people do still play it, on european servers

and its 9eur on steam, i've seen it go on sale up to 2,99eur

fite me u fgt

I really tried to like M&M 6, but the combat killed it for me. Unless there's something I'm missing, it's like a cross between Morrowind's combat and Final Fantasy's combat.

World of Xeen is still great, though.

"april fools! j/k its a real fucking game"

Bait

Sup

Superior spinoff coming through.

Well not a spin off, but the DLC for Aliens Colonial Marines, Bug Hunt, was better then the main game itself.

am I late for the party?

Came here to post this

OP was expecting the other Might and Magic games to be the same kind of genre. To save you the trouble Heroes of Might and Magic is a turn based strategy game series, Dark Messiah is completely different it's not even apples and oranges it's more like apples and tomatoes.

Try the hard version of FFT if you want your shit pushed in. This isn't babby's first difficulty mod from insanedifficulty. This is the real deal. Prepare your anus.

mega.nz/#!z1AEVDqa!-uZOZnXmji3ZJcFjWerEYCvMYbewqfJ8DK4BJJ0YqVU

This theme is beyond comfy.

I liked the MM6 combat a lot more since you can fly and drop meteors on your foes when outside. Inside however it's sparks/Fireblast/sharpmetal time.

I fucking love the intro, also the english version sung by Donna Burke
then there's also the awesome OST
I really wish we'd get more CC games, after the abysmal piece of shit that was crystal bearers

The bird dullahan race was awesome.

Shame the boss fights were so fucking dull. I could never finish it since I was just so goddamn bored.

I fucking loved RoF. It also made me sob on multiple occassions

Also this

my motherfucking nigger

I probably would have enjoyed Crystal Chronicles more if I had friends.

To be honest my only memory of the game was painting the Moogle red, and filling up the hometown with characters never to be used just to make the place seem less empty and barren.

The Might and Magic franchise is (aside from DM) turn-based garbage that nobody with good taste would play.

Dark Messiah on the other hand is amazing.

u wot

i wasn't aware there was more than one game in that series

Ring of Fates was ballin
I was really hoping FF Explorers would have been like it I wished so fucking bad

I have no idea why it posted the youtube again

You can tell how old people like this and OP are because they either never played the original Might and Magic games or have massive shit taste enough to think they were bad.

My niggas.

only Gen6 babies like Dark Messiah. the same people who jack off over garbage like Sly and Rachet and Clank.

they just don't know any better.

I thought raidou 1 was a bit rough around the edges, and gets a bit tedious at the end, but it was enjoyable. I saw game play of 2 and it looked like what i expected raidou 1 to be. I would give raidou 1 a 6/10, play it if youre a fan, but raidou 2 is better.

I wouldn't say Dark Messiah is superior to all the original games, though it is definitely better than the ones under Ubisoft (include the French translations of the original games that Ubisoft published because apparently they were rendered unbeatable)

from 6 on the MM games are both turn based and action games, kind of like the Baldur's Gate games.

It was shitty RTWP, you retard. Don't insult M&M by comparing them to bioware turds.

Top jej spoken like a true 14 year old trying step like an oldfag
dark messiah is a continuation of the arx fatalis formula, it's not gen6 in the slightest, just get up and walk away from your moms mac with a red face pls

na mang

battlefield bad company 2.5 china expansion pack: world war niggers on horses

Played the first one on 3DS. Fucking loved it. Aiming with the gyro was fucking great. Played the second on my BloodBorne box. It was enjoyable enough, but the it quickly began to feel like the mission difficulty tiers were just for fluff.