ITT: Free to play games with great character customization

I'm kind of a sucker for any game that lets me create and customize a character with a slew of options, but I've started to get bored of the ones I've been playing for years. Anyone have some suggestions that aren't generic fantasy korean games?
Ones I've enjoyed thus far:
APB: Reloaded
Star Trek Online
Star Wars: The Old Republic
Guild Wars 2
Age of Conan: Unchained
Champions Online
City of Heroes(RIP you beautiful beast)
DC Universe Online
Defiance
SKIES
The Secret World
Fallen Earth(really needs an update and some FUCKING OPTIMIZATION because it runs like shit and doesn't seem to have been updated since 2013)
Scarlet Blade

Ones I've played that just seem to have failed to hold my attention:
C9
Dragon's Prophet
Vindictus
Entropy
Blade And Soul

I have a preference for sci-fi stuff rather than the usual fantasy, though fantasy can occasionally be bretty gud.

Anyone have some suggestions??

Weren't those games pay-to-play?

Not anymore

hard mode: games that are actually good

F2P games that are good? that's easy, how about… uh… um… oh…

Phantasy Star Online 2 but OP is a gaijin faggot so you can forget about it

The Secret World is not free to play, it has a subscriptionless option, yes, but it requires an initial investment to play. They used to have a lifetime subscription offer, but removed it in February of this year.

They were for a while, but they eventually went F2P because that's where the market direction went and they couldn't keep subscribers long enough to justify keeping it pay to play.
IMO: APB still has a lot of balancing issues, SWTOR has some pretty bullshit things going on like escrow that you have to pay to access, thus blocking off a large portion of accessible content, DCUO does the same with episodic expansions you have to pay for(relatively cheap and it's understandable that they have to make money somewhere).

Yeah, I purchased it on a steam sale a long while back, found the difficulty curve a bit much, and left it for a while, coming back to it a year ago. While I still find it really difficult, I find the progression quite enjoyable and have spent a bit of money in their cash shop on pets and clothing items.

If you like /are willing to give roguelikes a try, then there are Dungeon crawl: stone soup (DCSS). The game has a ton of races, human, hobbits, elfs, orcs, octopuses, demigods to name a few. It also has a ton of different skills to learn, weapon skills, ranged weapon skills, sneaking, magic in the vein of either buffing, debuffing, summoning and using every elemental 'flavour' among others. was pretty much all I ever played for 5 years.

Yeah.

By the way, to anyone who might feel in any way affected by Ross Scott's game dungeon video on the game and all the negatives he lists off, let me just say up front: DON'T LISTEN TO HIS NEGATIVE POINTS OF THE GAME. The guy is a dip shit and I've already told him how bad he is at the game (I'd go one further and say all games, really).

A guy who refuses to learn to play a game properly and ends up using cheats for a game like Revenant, AND THEN STILL just about failed to complete the game.

The game is really quite fucking amazing, and it's one of the most in-depth detective games ever made and the fact that it's a full-sized MMO, it's a pretty impressive feat. At the same time, the game goes on sale a lot, so if you want to buy the game, wait for a 75% off sale. And unless you really want the fucking Chipmunk costume or you really like TSW, you can easily pass on The Park.

Loading up your hotbar with debilitators and then whining about timers is like loading up your plate at a buffet, and then whining about constipation later because you only ate meat.

It has MMO combat, mate. No matter how good it is for MMO combat, it will always be shit. Imagine this game with VTMB gameplay.

Personally I'm rather fond of the weapon combo my main has: Rifle and Sword. I have another that uses a Shotgun and Blood Focus, and that seems pretty effective as well. So long as you keep a healthy balance between self heals and AOE or DPS as well as not taking missions greater than "very hard" difficulty, it seems relatively easy to progress in the game.
Then again, I'm still in the beginning areas because I don't play terribly often.

I appreciate the suggestion, but I've thus far only played two roguelikes I enjoyed(binding of isaac and rogue legacy), and though customizing stats is useful, I'm thinking more in the way of customizing appearance.

Later on there are enemies who are much harder and take much longer to defeat, but they're few and far between. Anyway I find that it's typically best to use alike combat types.

Rifle and Elementalism are both good, for example, because they're both long-range. Rifle and Sword are a bit of an off combination because one is extreme range and the other is melee range, one has full stacks by default, the other has to be built up.

So unless you're using your sword as the builder, you're basically reducing your DPS whenever you fight out of melee range. Also I use builds that are 100% passive healing.

You can make at least half a dozen vampire/lifeleech builds that require zero effort to keep alive. The trick is to using passives from all around the ability wheel.

For example there are passives that apply a DOT every time you hit with a certain type of ability. And then there's ANOTHER passive that gives you health every time you apply / hit with a tick of a DOT.

So every time you refresh your dot, it heals you. Lick your wounds is 100% mandatory.

I tend to like having the ability to engage at long range to draw targets in and then melee them to death.
I've also used Hammer and elementalism, because setting them on fire and then using the hammer's cone attack seems quite effective.
And yes, balancing out the passives makes a world of difference. Also helps to have a combination builder/heal on the hotbar.

I just want a good F2P game to play. The last two I enjoyed were Spiral Knights and that's dead because fuck sega and OOO, and Hawken and that's dead too because the devs are retards.

Is MWO any good?

What is MWO?

bumping thread.

I hate how it's only free2play games with somewhat good character customization. I am also into that stuff, but unfortunately almost all the f2p games suck and if they don't suck they are expensive as hell.

The good thing is now some normal games also allow customization but they also want a shitload of money for those things.

To bad we can't have free customization anymore, like back then in UT3 or Saints Row 1 and 2.

Daily reminder that Guild Wars 2 went free-to-play before the original Guild Wars did.

MechWarrior Online

Yeah, it can be pretty good if you don't mind a grind. New mechs and parts can be expensive (the heaver the mech, the more expensive it is). They offer some free mechs every patch that are on rotation so you don't have to worry too much about purchasing right away.

The only downsides are the current LRM meta (faggots spamming 30 missiles per volley at you from across the map the entire match) and some chest shit that's kinda like the stuff you see in CS:GO where you have to buy keys to open them. The LRM boats can at least be avoided if you have a mech with Radar Deprivation and ECM.

Faggots in LRM boats camping you from across the map has been happening since beta, dude. They added shitty point defense weapons that don't really do anything a long-ass time ago then presumably said "kay dealt with" and never brought it up again

PSO2

Pirates of the Burning Seas
Its got some nice little trinkets you earn doing quests that look great on the character. You can even get a Parrot.

Actually my computer can barely run BDO.

SR2 is still the best entry in the franchise if you ask me. I honestly would have loved it if they just kept things going from there instead of going off into LOLWERSEWSILLAYGUISE realms with SR3.

I actually forgot I'd played MechWarrior Online. Yeah, that one is pretty good, but somehow it failed to hold my interest like the old mech warrior games did.

I'll have to check that one out.

This.
PSO2 has a god tier character creator. Every other game I've played has paled in comparison.

dude, we all love 3d rendered huge tits, but the cutomization there was pretty limited per class

Unfortunately yes. It somehow manages to be more limited in customization than even DDO was.
Gameplay is pretty fun though.

I took a look at Phantasy Star Online 2, and it's pretty much just weeb shit. It has a lot of the standard shit that I really don't like, aesthetically. From the anime style to the oddly proportioned weapons it's a lot of the stuff I want to mostly move away from in an MMO.