3DS Homebrew Bunker: $80 Bricks edition

DOWNGRADING FROM 11.0 IS BROKEN
UPDATING EMUNAND TO 11.0 IS SAFE
INSTALLATION GUIDE (PARTS 1-3 FOR EMUNAND, 4 AND 5 FOR A9LH SETUP)
github.com/Plailect/Guide/wiki/Get-Started
Memechunkhax2 is an exploit used to downgrade 3DS firmware. Most importantly, it can downgrade to 9.2, which is the ideal firmware that can be further exploited for access to CFW, and thus piracy and faster homebrew and emulators via kernel mode. This is possible on any firmware up to and including 10.7. Memchunkhax2 requires access to homebrew in order to run.
Memchunkhax2.1 is an exploit, much like it's predecessor, to downgrade 3DS firmware. This time, it works on 10.4-10.7, and is considerably more stable(?). As it is a new exploit that just popped out of nowhere, it may be untested and unstable for some systems and firmwares. Use this exploit at your own risk.
AFTER 11.0, DOWNGRADING IS BROKEN INDEFINITELY.
While 11.0 has only managed to patch MemChunkHax2.1 halfway, Nintendo has instated a minimum system app version list. This means that without a hardmod, it will take another exploit on the scale of 9.2 to be able to downgrade.
First, quit being such a massive faggot, and then find your firmware version below. Then see smealum.github.io/3ds/, unzip the starter kit to your SD card, and follow instructions to setup the Homebrew Launcher. Note that Tubehax is dead on all devices, all firmwares. Ignore it.
If you have a browser or cubic ninja available, use the package in part 4 of the installation guide to dump your OTP, then update to 9.2 and install A9LH+CFW. Read here for more details: github.com/Plailect/Guide/wiki/9.2.0-Update
You'll want to update to 9.0-9.2, preferably 9.2. There are ways to update straight to 9.X with CFW, or you can find a game card that has a 9.0-9.2 update on-cart and use that. read here for more details. github.com/Plailect/Guide/wiki/9.2.0-Update
9.0-9.2:
9.3-9.8:
O3DS 9.9-10.3:
N3DS 9.9-10.1:
N3DS 10.2-10.3:
10.4:
10.5:
10.6:
10.7:
11.0:

Other urls found in this thread:

gbatemp.net/threads/what-is-a-legit-cia-and-other-noob-cia-questions-answered.386705/
gbatemp.net/threads/guide-the-emunand-save-data-mega-guide-gbatemp-doesnt-deserve.378491/
gbatemp.net/threads/release-inject-any-app-into-health-safety-o3ds-n3ds-cfw-only.402236/
archive.is/SsDyf
pastebin.com/7JAD1x3U
my.mixtape.moe/ytjulq.7z
mega.nz/#!Zs8wFQqR!M1N3W5S6cZcTVAHslcx7w_rD7lnCqDMyPP8GBJrwe3U
pastebin.com/UdL5SN04
github.com/Reisyukaku/ReiNand/releases
github.com/AuroraWright/Luma3DS/releases
github.com/astronautlevel2/StarUpdater/releases
astronautlevel2.github.io/Luma3DS/
python.org/ftp/python/2.7.10/python-2.7.10.msi
pastebin.com/j0SfeDUn
gbatemp.net/threads/arm9loader-technical-details-and-discussion.408537/
volafile.io/r/acH6c7
github.com/44670/BootNTR/releases
my.mixtape.moe/vxcoit.zip
pastebin.com/84SiiXAq
archive.is/s72df
gbatemp.net/attachments/three-stage2-rar.50746/
gbatemp.net/attachments/stage1-a-5a000-and-b-5a100-rar.50776/
gbatemp.net/threads/save-data-manager-and-editor-for-firmware-up-to-9-9.396245/
github.com/Plailect/Guide/wiki/9.2.0-Update
github.com/Steveice10/FBI/releases
github.com/AuroraWright/Luma3DS/wiki
github.com/AuroraWright/Luma3DS/releases/tag/v5.5
github.com/AuroraWright/Luma3DS/wiki/Installation-and-Upgrade
github.com/d0k3/Decrypt9WIP/releases
github.com/d0k3/EmuNAND9/releases
github.com/Plailect/Guide/wiki/Hardmod-Downgrade
gbatemp.net/threads/list-of-hardmod-installers-by-region.414224/
gbatemp.net/threads/a-small-thread-on-how-to-tell-if-you-got-an-incomplete-downgrade.408937/
github.com/svanheulen/downgrade_check
github.com/Plailect/Guide/wiki/Part-1-(Homebrew)
gbatemp.net/threads/tutorial-system-transfer-from-one-3ds-to-cfw-3ds.422720/
nintendo.com.au/new-nintendo-3ds/support/microsd-management/
3dsthem.es/2135
3dsiso.com/3ds-tips-and-tutorials/274286-tutorial-create-professional-gb-gbc-virtual-consoles.html
github.com/Plailect/Guide/wiki/Part-3-(RedNAND)
github.com/Shadowtrance/BootNTR/releases
3dschaos.com/threads/mega-snes-vc-injection-game-in-french-english-spanish-only-n3ds-xl-alucard73-collection.2185/
mega.nz/#F!KVMTgSaT!JAVQ8WF92dvj85srerCWwQ
github.com/d0k3/3DS-Tools-Collection/tree/master/3DS Simple GBA Converter
github.com/Plailect/Guide/wiki/Part-4-(Getting-the-OTP)
github.com/Plailect/Guide/wiki/FAQ
github.com/Plailect/Guide/wiki/Part-5-(arm9loaderhax)
gbatemp.net/threads/restoring-original-colors-to-gba-vc.427642/
3dsiso.com/cia-downloads/272148-mega-phoenix-wright-ace-attorney-trilogy-usa.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Luma3DS and ReiNAND are the two CFWs of choice, and support A9LH, as well as having more features: Region Free, Language Emulation, etc.
rxTools is now out of date and lacks support for newer features as well as no longer under active development. Not recommended. If you have been using it previously, it is advised to switch.
All CFWs support both O3DS and N3DS.
Furthermore, CakesFW is behind Luma and ReiNAND in updates, and the developer is on hiatus.
For additional features such as cheats, save states, screenshots, and screen capture(NEW 3DS ONLY), use your CFW of choice to launch NTR CFW.
For NTR to launch, you must download a Firmware.bin file from the A9LH guide, part 5, even if you're using emunand.
Do further, thorough research on your own. Ask smart questions here.
See: gbatemp.net/threads/what-is-a-legit-cia-and-other-noob-cia-questions-answered.386705/
See: gbatemp.net/threads/guide-the-emunand-save-data-mega-guide-gbatemp-doesnt-deserve.378491/
If it isn't showing on your home menu with CFW on, your earlier install of it on sysNAND didn't work. Inject it into the H&S app: gbatemp.net/threads/release-inject-any-app-into-health-safety-o3ds-n3ds-cfw-only.402236/
Arm9LoaderHax(A9LH) is a (relatively) new entrypoint for booting into emu and sysNAND. The advantages of A9LH include 100% boot rate, and execution before boot. If you install A9LH, you can get rid of emuNAND and load an updated sysNAND to install .cia.
The installation process does have a slight brick risk and requires a downgrade to 2.1.0 in order to dump OTP (One-Time Programmable console-specific information). A9LH does still support booting of emuNAND if need be, but the most popular option is to update sysNAND and use it.
A9LH protects from softbricking once installed, as it can load before the 3ds boots and flash a backup nand image.
Menuhax vs. A9LH: archive.is/SsDyf
3dsiso, 3dschaos, and if you're smart enough to research 3ds.titlekeys.com
3DS Downgrading & Setting up CFW Links:
Installation (Follow up to step 3 for sysNAND + emuNAND, all the way for full A9LH Installation)
Thread Archives, 3DSISO Account, and Others: pastebin.com/7JAD1x3U
Basic Utilities Pack: my.mixtape.moe/ytjulq.7z Mirror: mega.nz/#!Zs8wFQqR!M1N3W5S6cZcTVAHslcx7w_rD7lnCqDMyPP8GBJrwe3U
A Bunch of 3DS .cia's: pastebin.com/UdL5SN04
ReiNand Download (Now supports O3DS AND N3DS): github.com/Reisyukaku/ReiNand/releases
Luma3DS (Formerly AuReiNAND) Download: github.com/AuroraWright/Luma3DS/releases
Luma3DS updater CIA: github.com/astronautlevel2/StarUpdater/releases
Luma3ds Nightly Builds: astronautlevel2.github.io/Luma3DS/
Python 2.7: python.org/ftp/python/2.7.10/python-2.7.10.msi
Hardmods and Arm9LoaderHax FAQ: pastebin.com/j0SfeDUn
In-depth Arm9LoaderHax information: gbatemp.net/threads/arm9loader-technical-details-and-discussion.408537/
3d/scurv/ volafile: volafile.io/r/acH6c7
NTR CFW: github.com/44670/BootNTR/releases 3.4 is New 3DS only, 3.2 supports O3DS.
Last rxTools nightly (Only use if you have to): my.mixtape.moe/vxcoit.zip
Current OP Pasta: pastebin.com/84SiiXAq
Last Thread: archive.is/s72df

enjoy your $80 brick card and nonfunctional shit :^)

Could someone explain that screencap in the OP? Has gateway permanently fucked over the people still using it instead of cfw?

although seriously what can gateway do at this point that CFW can't?

Playing roms and hands free a9lh is the only thing I can think of. If they get their shit together they'd slash the price of the card and make it so their method doesn't give you 3ds AIDShax

gateway is about 3 months behind on A9LH, and 6 months behind on downgrades from 10.3. They promised release on the 22nd but then missed the mark, and the beta testers have reported that: New 3DS bricks 100% with downgrades, A9LH is proprietary and can't use any other tools, and you can't update with it because they failed to steal FIRM0/FIRM1 protection from Luma3DS. For some god forsaken reason it also fucks nand recovery, so if you decide to install it you can't remove it except for a hardmod, and if you take any updates you'll either lose a9lh or brick your 3ds, not to mention being stuck at the latest version. It's basically a softbrick.

only one thing: .3ds support. People talk about how the cheat engine is better than NTR but 90% of the GIDF is people with buyer's remorse trying to pretend their purchase wasn't a waste.

Here are some sour grapes from the last thread, go to any gateway thread in gbatemp for more.

Alright thanks, I've been behind and haven't used my 3DS in months.

There is an easier and free way to brick a New 3DS. Just close it while on 2.1 FW.

For Gatewayfags, you can now use it with a9lh. I hear 4.0 works with SysNAND as well without the need for emunand, but I haven't tested. It does work with 3.7 just fine.

This will allow to use Gateway, Luma or whatever you're already using at the same time.

Forgot the downloads.

gbatemp.net/attachments/three-stage2-rar.50746/

gbatemp.net/attachments/stage1-a-5a000-and-b-5a100-rar.50776/

Can't people just admit they made a stupid purchase and move on instead of sperging out trying to justify it?

Hello fellow sailors!

I saw in the earlier thread, right at the beginning someone asked about transferring a Animal Crossing NL save from physical to digital in their CFW.

I would like to ask if anyone knows if the opposite can be done with homebrew?
I got a spare physical cart of the game as a gift, and I don't use it, but I still play with a years old save in my digital copy. I thought I could make some space in my sd card by getting rid of the digital copy if there is some way to transfer my save into the physical cartridge.
Anyone knows if it is possible? I googled for it but I keep getting results of people going the other way with a saves manager.

The only one I could find was this thread

gbatemp.net/threads/save-data-manager-and-editor-for-firmware-up-to-9-9.396245/

I haven't used this because I use JK Save Manager (and that is only .cia) so I don't know how this would work.

Wait, really?
That's actually pretty funny.

I'd love to be able to help you, the answer is likely no. If you actually want to be able to do useful stuff, you pretty much need CFW, which you should have anyway.
People like you who actually want to use homebrew for legitimate reasons are getting fucked by Nintendo left and right.

Haven't touched my 3ds since the CFW exploits came about. I was still working with rxtools on 10.5 I belive. An user in the last thread said that to switch to luma you simply delete the rxtools stuff and add the luma files so I did that and it worked perfectly. So if anyone out there is in the same boat just know that switching CFW and getting up to date is really simple and takes all of 5 minutes. When I have more time I'll look into a9lh because it sounds great.

I hear that luma doesn't work with mset though
is there a way for me to update my 2ds to 9.x from 6.x?

github.com/Plailect/Guide/wiki/9.2.0-Update

Find a cart with a 9.0 or 9.2 update on it, or use sysupdater.

You can import/export saves to a cartridge just fine using save managers. I use JK Save Manager for all my save-editing shite but it's installed as a cia, so if you don't already have CFW you'd need that.

A homebrew-only solution would be the one linked if you don't have CFW.

What the fuck's going on with NTR?

I don't know the whole story, but it looks like the dev sperged out (because people pirate games?) and people asked about his source code (ntr.bin was closed source) so they can port it to newer firms?

New FBI release
github.com/Steveice10/FBI/releases

All I've really been able to confirm is that NTR's dev had a spergout. I remember a claim that he'd deleted all his source code but his github and related forks of it (ie Shadowtrance's build with a 3D banner) are still up.

Does anyone have a .cia for the Japanese edition of Mario and Luigi RPG Paper Mario Mix/Paper Jam? I only found one on 3dsiso and while it installs, every time I try to start the game up I get this message telling me that an error has occurred, and to hold the power button until the system powers down.

It's a region issue.

Setup luma3ds. github.com/AuroraWright/Luma3DS/wiki
(I won't help you on the process so you'll have to follow the wiki.)

Make sure region/language emulation is on.

Then follow the instructions on the wiki to set up the proper txt file for the specific version of your game.

This is by far the easiest solution I've found to play Japanese games. Though it'll be used as your default emunand so make sure you have your previous one backed up. Only downside I've seen from this is, for some reason retro arc and SNES VC games don't use the n3ds extra power while using Luma so it lags. (Though normal n3ds games don't have this issue.)

I am using Luma, and I selected the region emulation option. Really though, I haven't even needed it before now. When I was on rxtools I could just play any Japanese game I wanted without special steps. Even after updating to Luma I can run some other Japanese games with no issues, even without having that emulation option selected. Still, I'll give what you told me a shot.

Nope, that's not the problem, creating the txt file didn't do a thing.

Installing WarioWare Touched from either FBI or CIAngel never shows up on my home menu. Can anyone else get it to show up? sys+a9lh

cant seem to make my r4isdhc work on 11.0 emunand

wow, finally someone who isn't on the gateway team cleans up their stillborn release off the floor. Great job!

not at all.

I think there's a version of svdt you can use with homebrew, but I never had very much luck with it.

He got assblasted because some spinoff flash cart stole NTR and put it in as part of their cart, and then some guy went around pestering him everywhere he could to open source it (twitter, github issues, gbatemp, etc.) non-stop. The guy doing that got banned from gbatemp in the end but neither of them come out looking that great.

Luma has regionfree built in, so it's weird that it should be broken like that. You might want to try fixing it with the seed, if you have a Japanese nand go into the eshop and go to the page, if you have one from a different region you should be able to do it through the latest FBI, but I'd say try one more cia and see if that one is packed wrong. I can try and make you one from the eshop if I can, but you'll have to give me a while.

WarioWare Touched is a bit of a weird case because it's a TWL_FIRM game so it installs to part of nand - what CFW are you using?

Flash Carts and emunand historically haven't gotten along with each other that well. If you're using rei it won't work because rei doesn't want to do reboot patches until he finds a good way, if you're using luma it should be patched by default.

Can I ask about a PS3 CFW issue in here? I don't really think it's worth its own thread.

To be fair they DID have a use back before CFWs got good, and I'm still using my blue card for DS games because I can't be assed to find another. But yeah there's literally no reason to get one these days.

Also I'm totally unsurprised their A9LH version is incompatible with everything. Same deal with their old MSET installer.

Eh? MSET is just an entry point, typically for homebrew launcher to CFW, why would it matter? Still, go with Themehax or A9LH instead they are better.

A9LH is the best entry point but look over the install process first before you commit to it, it's fairly lengthy and involves some ugly steps.

MSET is an exploit from a flaw in 4.x settings, the newer cfw only support 9.2.

As for the ps3 thing, I guess go for it, I can't really say much though because my ps3 cfw experience is really limited.

Does anyone know if 3DS XLs have a higher rate of games freezing than the regulars? I just got a fresh XL for homebrewing because my old regular broke. It's crashed on me twice now in a week, and I think my 3DS small crashed maybe that many times in all the years I had owned it.

Luma3DS 5.5 is officially out now

Would be appreciated, I can't find any other cias. In the meantime I can try your suggestion, though I don't know what you mean by fixing it with the seed, and I don't have a Japanese NAND as far as I know.

some cia require firmware >9.9 and won't launch until you fix them, which is most easily done by going to the page in the eshop, but I think FBI's latest version from yesterday added support for that too.

if your system region isn't Japanese then you can't. I can't seem to find a title key for it so you might be fucked, it seems oddly hard to come by.

Regardless, I don't think it's a problem with Luma, I'm running plenty of JP games fine, the hold power button error speaks more of an improperly packed cia than anything.

Yeah, all my other Japanese games work, even Dream Team, so I don't think it's extra Nintendo protection or anything.

well, that and if it was the problem it wouldn't start at all.

You'll have to keep searching, it seems. Try 3dschaos and watch the titlekey website to see if anything comes of it.

Alright. I probably won't get around to it for awhile, so maybe something will pop up. Or I could import it, since you can play physical Japanese games on CFWd 3DSes.

Yeah it doesn't seem that bad, only ~$25 on ebay for a jap copy with free shipping.

I've done everything in the github guide including part 5 and i'm running AuReiNand. Is it safe to update? I'm on 10.7 right now

yeah you can update to 11.0, but if you're on aureinand you should update to luma (Luma is AuReiNand, but the name changed along the way).

Latest version is here:

and you can read about switching from AuReiNand here:
github.com/AuroraWright/Luma3DS/wiki/Installation-and-Upgrade

luma + a9lh

Oh that name change was what was confusing the shit out of me. Thanks

What are you using to install .cia?

I just got 2 different Warioware touched through .cia and they both installed fine with devmenu.

If you're using bigbluemenu, uninstall it and try devmenu 11.4 instead (it's in the utility pack in the op). If you're doing it through FBI make sure you're using the latest version, it should automatically detect where to install as well.

CIAngel installed to nand, I can even see it in software DSi ware management. It just won't show up on home menu. I used a download and the latest FBI initially.

open FBI and check tickets, uninstall it through the dsiware and delete the ticket and try again, maybe. If the ticket is fucked it won't show on the home menu.

Here's something I'm noticing, in system memory it's size is 223 blocks but on sd it's 224. I moved it back and forth to see if it would unfuck itself

aand now it decides to show up on top of one of my custom badges

So I should probably just stick with RxTools for now in the hopes that there's another breakthrough, right? I'd rather not fuck up this new process and be forced to update SysNAND to the point where I can't downgrade again. I don't really care about faster boot times or anything other than region-free piracy, so this new shit doesn't really matter if I'm understanding everything correctly?

I updated several days ago. I had issues because I had old emuNAND based on really old sysNAND. As long as that doesn't describe you, it'll be fine if you follow the guide's instructions to a T. Having a CFW'd sysNAND boot right away upon start up is pretty nice.

if you don't want to set up A9LH, at least setup luma with emunand. rxTools is horribly out of date and is just going to keep losing more. Even if you set up A9LH you can still use an emunand.

I'm on 9.2/10.7, does that describe me?

Losing more what though? I understand it had some features removed, but I think I have an older nightly from before they did that. I can run out-of-region shit fine, I can pirate everything fine. I'm just a lowly nigger who wants to make sure I can play the pokemons for free without issue in a few months.

AL9H is pretty easy. The guide part 4 & 5 is all you need. And us. Please ask a lot of questions if you do end up doing AL9H.

if you're on 9.2, you can switch to Luma very easily.

rxTools is a clunky piece of shit that doesn't get updates. Right now, if you update to 11.0 you can't use online, and will never be able to again. rxTools will fuck your shit up in the future if the wrong update comes out. Luma3DS supports region free and piracy, plus has updated features. All of the tools rx offered have been matched and outdone by decrypt9/emunand9. You're just losing:

- Online support
- Language Emulation
- CRO Patching for new romhack features
- Ever getting updates
- A9LH Support
- Future protection

and also you can get a neat updater .cia
github.com/astronautlevel2/StarUpdater/releases

Switching to Luma is easy as fuck, just download the latest version

copy the /luma/, /3ds/, and Luma.dat to your SD card, and then delete your rxTools stuff. It takes all of 3 minutes and then you're way better off for it.

I have an O3DS with rxtools. Do I need up switch to something else, and if so, what and how hard is it?

I haven't been keeping up and can't tell if things apply to just N3DS.

Okay, that's much more painless than I thought it would be. A9LH is what was scaring me off. I read something lurking a thread or three ago about RxTools potentially bricking your system if you got a "bad update", does the current version of Luma alone prevent this or do I need the A9LH to be safe from that?

Also, do I need to delete CtrBootManager or menuhax for Luma to work?

Luma prevents that. A9LH is just an entrypoint like menuhax, it's popular because you can do away with emunand, it loads 100% of the time. It's basically like running an unmodded 3ds, but it boots direct to cfw.

If your sysnand is on 9.2, you can just do this

if you're

I think you can also use the luma3ds .3dsx launcher and name it boot.3dsx instead as well.

That's incorrect.
Ironically, it was Luma that couldn't use online when 11.0 came out, it needed a small update to do it.
I'm still on Rxtools, but plan to change when the next nintendo update comes out.

When I put the /luma/ and /3ds/ folders on my SD card, there will be an app in menuhax's homebrew channel to launch luma just like rxtools, right?

yes, the app to launch it is in the /3ds/ folder. I believe you can take the .3dsx app out of there and name it boot.3dsx to load it directly, but I might be mistaken. Either way, if you do that, you can't use the homebrew launcher anymore.

I must have been mistaken about the online thing, that one's on me, sorry. It is still out of date though, and it's worth a switch because of how quick it is.

Are there any negative side effects to switching to Luma? No need to worry about saves or anything?

I still don't understand how this can be so simple to change…
What happens to the emunand? Isn't it Rxtools's? The version in the system options says RX-11.0 if I'm not mistaken…

To update emunand with Luma I just need to update it from system options like Rxtools?

Emunand is in a hidden partition in your sd. Your saves and games and shit are all in your Nintendo 3DS folder. Switching cfw is as painless as it gets.

your saves should all be okay.
Remember to hold select the first time you launch luma and check show current nand in system settings as well as language emulation if you want to use that, then reboot and launch it again.

cfws don't actually make the nand, they apply patches to it. Luma and Rei go about it in different ways, but they load the same. Yes, to update it just do it from system settings.

Honestly, there isn't much sense in having a github for the CFW if you're not going to open source it, anyway.

Absolutely none.
Your CFW has nothing special or specific to it.
It runs in RAM, and handles redirects from NAND to your SD (emunand).
If you change CFWs, you don't have to change much else.

Your emunand is a partition on your SD card.
It doesn't belong to RXTools
That's just part of the patching stuff that happens in RAM

I looked into installing Luma and I get stuck on the very first step of github.com/AuroraWright/Luma3DS/wiki/Installation-and-Upgrade

What the hell is A9LH? I don't recall this ever being mentioned when I last did anything with my 3DS CFW, which was a while ago. What is ARN? I'm totally lost.

A9LH is an entrypoint. If you're using menuhax to launch your cfw now, it's like that, but it happens before menuhax could load and works 100% of the time.

ARN is short for AuReiNand, which was Luma3DS' name originally. It got changed after an update a while back.

It doesn't pertain to you, just put the pink and green files in root.

A quick thing on a9lh
archive.is/SsDyf

Fuck's sake, do they really have to keep changing names of things for no good reason?

Anyway, thanks for the help. When I delete the rxtools stuff, is it just the rxTools folder in my SD root or is there anything else as well?

So according to that article, even updating your firmware to the newest official won't disrupt A9LH because the A9 activates before it even gets to the system's firmware? That's pretty fuckin cool.

Got it set up perfectly fine, only took some time because I wanted to back everything up first. I definitely would have done it sooner if I knew it were that easy, might attempt A9LH at some point, but just wanted to make sure I was future-proofing for now. Thanks to everyone for thoroughly answering my stupid questions.

It got changed because of some drama over something or other, something stupid. It was overdue though, with the amount it was diverging.
It should be just the rxtools folder in the root, and from the /3ds/ folder if you were loading it through the homebrew launcher.

yeah, with Luma or Reinand there's protection from future updates.

Gateway's doesn't do protection though so it gets fucked up by updates.

No problem.

So I've hit a snag in the Plailect guide. In part 4, where it wants to me do the H&S dump after updating Red/EmuNAND to the newest firmware, it says my SD card isn't formatted for EmuNAND. I'm not sure how it thinks this, since I can easily boot into my EmuNAND and clearly see the Emu 11.whatever version number.

make sure you're using the latest version of decrypt9/emunand9, is my best bet as the development of rednand is relatively new compared to emunand.

github.com/d0k3/Decrypt9WIP/releases

github.com/d0k3/EmuNAND9/releases

Damn, good call. It was an outdated Decrypt9 version that didn't recognize redNAND.

I know there is a homebrew save manager, I believe I've used what linked previously, precisely to mess around with the ACNL game file and edit my town. It does work with homebrew alone, but as I said, I only used it to do

but I don't know if there will be a problem trying to back up from the digital one and inject it into the physical copy. Do games, or specifically ACNL, have a safety measure to prevent it?

I mean, worse case scenario it doesn't work and the physical copy gets corrupt but I would still be able to use the digital one. But I would really really like to switch to the digital one

I've used my save from Pokemon Super Mystery Dungeon and transferred it to and from a cart, it should be fine.

This fuckin gem right here.

w-wait, i can normally do homebrew on 11.0

never hacked my 3DS here

if you're on 11.0 you're fucked then. Pretty sure you can do homebrew, but only if you have the right game. If you don't have cubic ninja, you need another 3ds with homebrew already, or a powersaves for Ocarina of Time.

no downgrades, no cfw for you.

Well, he can downgrade with the hardmod.
github.com/Plailect/Guide/wiki/Hardmod-Downgrade

You need a hardmod.

gbatemp.net/threads/list-of-hardmod-installers-by-region.414224/

So how do you update FBI? Just install the CIA from FBI itself?

Yes.

you can install the cia from fbi, unless you have an older 2.x version.

Use health & safety FBI to install the cia or anything else like dev menu.

Use health & safety FBI to install the cia or anything else like dev menu.

TEPIDTRIANGLES LET ME POST

I'm so close to finally finishing this guide, but I'm stuck in part 5. I did all of sections 1-3, but it won't open Decrypt from boot, even if I switch the input that it's looking for. Holding a button just won't let it boot at all and holding nothing lets it boot normally.

Does anyone have one of those charts?

nvm, fixed it :^) Forgot to update the .bin to newest version

i filled mine with emulators, played mh4u.

I also tried code of princess but it's just shilled trash top tier whorefu protag if the first few seconds i spent in game before i threw it in the trash are to repeat themselves though

OK I'm on a PS3 running Rebug latest and trying to install a couple of DUPLEX releases, specifically Bionic Commando Rearmed 2 and Hard Corps Uprising. I've installed them as per the instructions: Install install pkg first, then patch pkg, then crack pkg, the last one compains about existing install do I want to overwrite. Actually attempting to start the game just switches resolution, then back to the PS3 menu with "an error has occurred". Any idea what's going wrong?

Surely that only applies to emuNAND, if it's updated then the base sysNAND shouldn't matter. Also I believe it is possible to add MSET back to newer sysNAND similar to fixing the DS blacklist and GBA sig check.

MSET can be individually downgraded but you get nag for updates, it's honestly better to use menuhax anyways because then you don't have to load the home menu and do all that.

All new CFW only support both sysnand at 9.2 and emunand at or higher than 9.2. That's the current best use case for rxTools right now. If someone gets stuck on 2.1 without a nand backup with the a9lh guide they can update to 4.x with a cartridge and then use MSET to load rx and update sysnand back to 9.2 (9.2 new 3ds especially).

Cakes will also work

That's true, I had forgotten about cakes.

No releases lately though, which is kind of a shame because I like the idea of .cake patches so people can develop their own features.

OK never mind I finally found something that looks appropriate. Apparently some pkgs only work on older CFWs, but they can be fixed or sometimes updated ones are obtainable.

glad you got it worked out, I'm out of my league with ps3 stuff. I still need to buy an E3 Flasher.

At the very start, I have a new sd card to mod the 3ds with. Should I turn the 3ds on with it in it first, then begin the process? or just do it straight out of the package?

I've been playing the shit out of terraria, super mystery dungeon, bravely default, and hyrule warriors.
dsiware games are also worth checking out. I recommend alphabounce and kappa's trail.

How long does the homebrew launcher usually take to update? I updated emunand to the latest firmware, and the homebrew launcher won't load anymore.

I can still play and install CIA games, but I can't use the homebrew apps anymore and I really need to get my marowak a thick club for the latest pogeymon competition.

homebrew launcher loader CIA or homebrew launcher from sysnand menuhax

one is just an issue of updating your payload, the other could be a serious problem

FUCK

what do?

gbatemp.net/threads/a-small-thread-on-how-to-tell-if-you-got-an-incomplete-downgrade.408937/
github.com/svanheulen/downgrade_check

o3DS with rxTools. I understand that switching to Luma3DS is as easy as replacing the CFW files, but is it better to just do a clean install? I don't really care about savedata that much.

You have a partial downgrade, get into the homebrew launcher and run it again.

It's not that big of a deal, you can just switch over.

If you're using the homebrew launcher cia you just need to rename the payload to 11.0.0-33.

Also, you can use jk's save manager to dump your save and then use pkhex to edit it.

Guys I have a 10.4 3DS, am I right assuming I can still hack it anytime I want?

yes, you can use browserhax to downgrade at any time and set up cfw.

start here
github.com/Plailect/Guide/wiki/Part-1-(Homebrew)

If you actually care to read the OP you have your answer but whatever you do, DON'T UPDATE.

Are there any places tracking what firmware New 3DS Japan models come with out of the box?

I suppose if I have two N3DS both with CFW, I can't very well just swap the SD cards to transfer data.

Any way to get the data from my old N3DS to the new one?

if they both have A9LH it's as simple as doing system transfer from the settings menu, I did System Transfer from my O3DS to my N3DS when I first got it, both A9LH.

Nope, they both have Cakes

If you're using an emunand setup instead of updated sysnand with a9lh then it gets more tricky, I believe.

gbatemp.net/threads/tutorial-system-transfer-from-one-3ds-to-cfw-3ds.422720/

How can I make a SysNAND backup? It is even possible? Part 4 says so.
Also, once I have the hole a9lh thing on sysnand can I update to 11.0? How can I backup THAT sysNAND?

if you follow every step in part 4 you will have a back up of: sysnand_original.bin emunand_original.bin emunand_formatted.bin and in part 5 you will have a back up of sysnand-a9lh.bin

you can use decrypt9 or emunand9, go to sysnand options, and do nand backup.

Same way with a9lh, after you get it setup you can load a decrypt9.bin before boot and use it.

I think I used emunand9 the first time I made a backup. I'd like to use it since it seems easier than decrypt9, but dunno if it's a good idea to use something other than the guide tell me to. Oh well.

It does the same thing, decrypt9 just has more stuff included, but a nand dump from emunand9 is valid in decrypt9 all the same.

Also, it says
An user said to not update emuNAND since 11.0 have the downgrade broken. Is this still a thing? This is important and should have a FAQ, tho.

>If you are using Luma3DS and DID NOT follow Part 3, you should copy the appropriate firmware.bin from Part 3 to the /luma/ folder on your SD card, otherwise the downgrade will fail.

Although valuable information, that doesn't really answer my question. Even if I had the firmware.bin, it is recommended to update? Since I heard even with the .bin is unstable.

you can go ahead and do the update, just make a nand backup after and you can restore it if it fails however many times you need to.

At this point in time, is it worth picking up a New 3DS? I was tempted just to play the Bravely games, along with X-Zone, but that's it.

Still good to assume it's not a viable alternative to the PSP for homebrew shit?

If I get an error while PlaiSysUpdater is downgrading to 9.2.0, do I absolutely need to use browserhax to get back to the homebrew menu, or can I use menu_hax? I'm guessing I need to use browserhax, but I just want to clear this up before I start.

New 3ds is worth it to me, but I had an old xl and wanted a small one anyways, and I have a hardcore snes boner.

Its great for emulation of Nintendo consoles and it has an okay Genesis thing going, it can do tg-16 pretty solid but n64 is obviously a no go and also obviously psx isn't nearly as good as it was on psp.

(checked)
I think menuhax gets misconfigured when you do a downgrade but you can set it back up.

As far as I remember, menuhax gets undone after downgrading. You have to enter homebrew again somehow to re-install it once you are in 9.2. Problem is browserhax is very unstable on it, meaning you will have to keep trying. I forgot if deleting the browser cache or "data" helps in that step, but you can try that too if browserhax keeps being a little bitch. I do remember spending around an hour there when I first did all of this

it's a weird case though because if an error happened during the downgrade, you have to get back in and run it again. I think menuhax will work still if you reinstall it, but it might not.

insert the sd card back while you're in homemenu and change your theme

Thanks for the answers. Luckily it worked perfectly on the first try.

just finished the otp one click set up on my n3ds. Do i open that github link in part four of the tutorial in sysnand or rednand?

You CANNOT enter emunand/rednand on 2.1, hurry the fuck up and get out of 2.1.

DO NOT LEAVE YOUR N3DS CLOSED AND OTHERWISE UNATTENDED ON 2.1

Haven't actually left the reboot prompt from OTP, just wanted to make sure I wasn't about to fuck up my system by doing anything on sysNAND

Stop dawdling and follow the guide exactly. The less time you stay on 2.1 the better.

lurking for a guide on which n3ds to buy. Might buy a Hyrule edition new just so I can be sure it's on an older FW

i got a n3DS with CakesFW that i installed ages ago (9.2 sysnand 11.0 emunand)
what do i do to upgrade to Luma3DS?
i want to try out that NTR screen recording

nintendo.com.au/new-nintendo-3ds/support/microsd-management/

does this work to transfer shit back and forth or is it gimped

You shouldn't need Luma for NTR's screen recording.

If you're just looking to transfer files back and forth and not any bullshit like installing CFW (I tried that, bit me in the butt the first time), then yeah, and it works surprisingly well depending on what kind of PC and network connection you have. However, if you can help it, get a screwdriver and MicroSD adapter and do it manually - it's much faster that way, mate.

oh yeah, I forgot how disgustingly slow the 3ds's wifi adapter is. Guess I'll just stick with manually moving the card.

Is anyone else having trouble with Final Fantasy Explorers? It works fine on my o3DS, but on my n3DS it doesn't load anything after the first tutorial bit. Just fades to black and plays music. Using rxtools and menu_hax on the o3DS and luma and a9lh on the n3DS.

thanks
turns out my router is too shit anyway and NTRviewer doesn't display anyway even tho everything seems to be connected

It works, I like to use an ftp cia for smaller stuff though because you have to open system settings and sit through 2 reboots to get back to the home menu.

Are you using clock+l2?

Try disabling that, it works fine for most but some games have issues with it.

Unrelated but what theme do you have there?

Any new new 3ds you buy will be under 11.0, 10.5-10.7 should also be fairly uncommon but you might get one of those, but if you're buying a 3ds anyways it's only $40 to get a downgrade on 10.7, with ocarina of time and a powersaves.

It's this one:
3dsthem.es/2135

it plays embed related on a loop and you can get it in different colours too (just search for "space" on that them.es website)

any in particular that you'd recommend? ftbrony is cancer

I use ftp-gmx personally, I didn't look too far into it though so there might be something better in cia format. It does what I need.

Any tools to convert nes, gbc, and gba roms into .cia?

The name change was likely due to AuReinand being a fork made to support O3DS (Reinand only supported N3DS until recently). When both CFW's got support for O3DS and N3DS, they had to part ways.

Something weird is going on with my N3DS.

I have 11.0 EmuNAND set up with Luma3DS 5.5, and I can't get my GBA games to work on emuNAND. I install them on both NANDs, but they only work on sysNAND. On emuNAND they just get me a black screen.

I've hacked 4 3DSes so far, and I never had this problem before. Got any advice? Do I have to install something before? I thought Luma3DS got GBA_firm already pathed.

There are a few. It's been a while since I've tried, but you can try this for gb/gbc
3dsiso.com/3ds-tips-and-tutorials/274286-tutorial-create-professional-gb-gbc-virtual-consoles.html

I really couldn't help you with GBA, though - I'm still confused on that front.

As for NES, you're really better off just using RetroArch or putting a .cia of RetroArch on your home menu and calling it a day. The Virtual Console setup offers nothing RetroArch doesn't beyond simplicity, and even then the VC version isn't even pixel perfect.

I was able to downgrade my o3ds to 9.2 but then I'm supposed to reinstall menuhax. When I hold down the Dpad to launch the menuhax nothing happens and when I go do the browser thing nothing happens son I can't reinstall.

Any clues on what's going on?

the reason you should reinstall menuhax is because you don't have it anymore, get your ass in the browser and install it through there

oh and zoom in a bunch when you do the browser thing

the thing is that when I did it the first time the bottom screen would change colors and the upper screen would be black with stuff going on.
Now nothing happens, the browser loads the page completely but everything's white while the bottom screen shows magnifying options menu etc. as if the site had been reached

Should I remove the EMUNAND and update folders as if I were to install menuhax from scratch?

Zoom in, press the left or right side of the bar that shows up. I forget which but it shouldn't matter.

No. You can delete the update folder if you want. Just follow a guide.
github.com/Plailect/Guide/wiki/Part-3-(RedNAND)

Both Reinand and Luma can update to 11.0 emunand right? Would NTR break if I did this?

I don't know about Reinand but if you have a certain firmware.bin in the luma folder, NTR should work.

You have to use shadowtrance's fork, it'll update your current bootNTR cia to one with a 3D banner.
github.com/Shadowtrance/BootNTR/releases

NTR Will break but if you use luma you can download a firmware.bin file and put it in the luma folder, and NTR will still work.

Yeah. Anything different I should set it to, or should I just turn that option off?

you can play with it if you want but with Sonic All-Stars Racing it does the same thing and it's best to just turn it off.

Do I need to do anything special to make games online ready? Or is everything fine?

I ask cause I went to get sm4sh and the top results on 3dschaos are explicitly labeled as online ready.

To go online you need:

Smash 3DS is currently on patch version 1.1.6, if the post specifically mentions that version then yes it's online ready.

You shouldn't have to do anything if you're playing with cia, it probably means pre patched to the latest version.

Is my homebrew cia supposed to break too? I renamed the payload file to have version 11-0-0-33 but it gives me an error and makes my 3ds restart every time.

Nevermind it turns out notepad was eating the null terminator characters. Renaming it to match my firmware works.

On update 10.6 here

What do I do? I want to play Fire Emblem IF

Can someone explain a bit about VC games on a9lh. Is it as simple as finding a cia or is there a trick to it, like there used to be?
Also, any recommendations for old shit?

VC games work as is on updated sysnand with a9lh, you don't have to fool around with gba or DSi games. If you have a new 3ds load up on snes games, and then set them to pixel perfect scaling in the vc settings. Otherwise get the Pokemon red/blue/yellow vc. Nes isn't really worth getting in vc form so get a reproach emulator for that.

And read the op

!!!

It's a primary, not secondary exploit.

Downgrades are probably still out.

Neat. With the ORAS exploit coming around and this it's gonna be neat times.

Still, don't get too excited, if you're on 11.0 downgrades are still going to be broke as fuck.

also for anyone looking for SNES VC, this is where I usually get mine:

3dschaos.com/threads/mega-snes-vc-injection-game-in-french-english-spanish-only-n3ds-xl-alucard73-collection.2185/

direct:
mega.nz/#F!KVMTgSaT!JAVQ8WF92dvj85srerCWwQ

this guy does good work, he even fills the cart labels. If you ask him he gets it done in like 2 days if the game works right.

the password for all of them is www.3dschaos.com

Sorry to be that guy. But I was thinking of getting a New 3ds XL, but how do I make sure I get the lowest possible firmware when I buy it? Most online retailers don't list a firmware version and I don't want to end up buying a 11.0 system.

no new 3dses will ship with 11.0, I highly doubt any will come with >10.6 so you shuold be good unless you buy refurbished.

how do i set up A9LH?
can it brick my shit?
i got a 9.2 sysNAND and 11.0emuNAND that launches through menuhax

I also want to get a New 3DS XL except I'm more or less prepared for whatever version I get, including 11.0. For software, I currently have an O3DS with menuhax installed and a physical copy of OoT3D and Sm4sh. For the hardmod, I looked over the steps in the guide and they seem to be pretty straightforward and easy enough. Plus, I've done lab projects (both in school and in my free time) that required the use of a soldering iron since 8th grade, and I've taken apart several DSs (mostly the Lite version) to salvage good parts and reassemble into working units. If I need more parts (solder, wires, etc.) and/or tools, there's a Radio Shack less than a 5-minute drive away.

The only thing stopping me is money (my paycheck comes in 2 days) and how big of an SD card I should get. I'm aiming for Luma+a9lh and want to convert my physical games into CIAs. The 3DSdb website shows the image size for each game but doesn't say what unit size it's in (I'm presuming it's in MB), and I want to find out how big each game is after converting to CIA and then trimming whenever possible.

Is not worth the effort to convert cart .3dses into cia, just download your games. Any new 3ds you get will come under 11.0 but if you want you can do a nand access hardmod for backup if you want. .cia doesn't need trimming, it doesn't have padded data, that's exclusively a .3ds flash cart problem.

Also if you have oot3dhax already you can just install the save for new 3ds so you should be good with any 3ds you should get, software only unless you get a refurbished one.

That firmware doesn't fucking exist. How is this thing running it?

It's probably some obscure cart update, try using a different game cart to go up to something else and then downgrade. Make sure they have a browser beforehand though.

is any way of getting my save files before i attempt this and then loading them back intoo my games?

Gotta be a weird update for sure.
Try and find a cart with a newer update on it.

You've got your emunand backed up, right? There's your saves.
Anyway, that's eventually going to get flashed to your sysnand, so you shit isn't going anywhere.

If you really want to back up your saves, you can use JK Save Manager.

I just realized that you can get the right ratio for ds games if you hold start while you're launching it, it looks so much better. Now I sort of regret buying a ds lite just for original ds games.

Looked into it. It's a franken-firmware between 2.1.0-4 and 9.4.0.

Upgraded to 9.9 and I can't access the browser anymore. Short of picking up OOT 3D, I'm fucked aren't I?

How did you end up on this clusterfuck of a firmware?
I've literally never seen it before.

It's great you got to 9.9, but I guess you got locked out of the browser?

Use a DNS that blocks Nintendo servers and set the date to 1/1/2001, reboot, and see if that works.

basically yeah.

if you update with a cart, some have dummy browsers so it just won't have a browser at all.

Any up-to-date guide to getting GBA VC injects? A9LH on latest. No emuNAND.

if you're using A9LH and Luma you should be set, just download them from 3dsiso or wherever and install them, they'll work fine.

As for injecting yourself, there's a guide on 3dsiso I believe but I doubt it's worth the effort unless you're going for something obscure.

I honestly don't know- I updated through cart, so I'm imagining that it's a problem through that. The browser doesn't even boot- it's a black screen before telling me to update, so I imagine the browser was overwritten by a dummy browser like mentioned.

I've basically hit a brick wall. I'll pick up OOT3D when I can, and I'll try installing it through that.

Thanks.

Right now I'm trying to apply some romhax to FF6 Advance. Going to see if I can't get it working. Then I'll write a simple guide.

OoT is not the only thing you need. You'll either need another 3ds that's already been hacked OR a powersave too. Luckily OoT is on the greatest values and they still didn't fix the issue. So your only worry is the powersaver.

I've already got *hax and CFW running on both my N3DS and O3DS, so it should be no problem.

That's what the update nag normally looks like.

What cartridge did you use to update your 3DS? I can find out if it's got a browser for you.

Triforce Heroes.

Sorry to say, but Triforce Heroes has a dummy browser.
You either need OoT, Super Mystery Dungeon, or Cubic Ninja.

Oh, you might still have hope.
There's an unreleased exploit that uses ORAS, and another one that plutoo has promised to drop that uses a QR code of some sort. May or may not need a game.

That's a big update.

Fuck you guys, you're slipping.

What are you talking about.
9.4.0-21U is a proper firmware update, 9.4.0-4U is not.

>9.4.0-4U
Was dropping the ball part of your plan?

Nice

So I can switch from Rei to NTR without any trouble, right?

Also did hblauncher get updated past 1.1? Before I grab the files to make the CIA work, since I guess I can't get it to work without the SD Card stuff.

NTR isn't an actual cfw.

Is there any reason to get NTR when I already have Luma installed?

some games get massive framerate boost on n3DS when you use NTR to "overlclock" the CPU (most notable ones being pokemon)

you can also use it to take screenshots and stream video to your PC

it also has a real time save function but maybe someone else could weight in on that cause it worked like shit in the past and i didn't bother checking it out since then

Will my NNID git banned if I use it?

no idea about that

NTR isn't an actual CFW even though it claims to be a CFW, it's more of a software layer that hides in the memory reserved for the OS while a program's running. Also why it doesn't work when playing Smash 4 or Monster Hunter 4U since those games go into an extended-RAM mode which hogs the memory usually reserved for the OS, so the home menu takes forever to show up.

Look into Luma3DS, which you can move to without any trouble from Reinand. I moved from RxTools to Luma3DS just fine, for instance.

Real-time saves run like absolute shit still. Since the NTR dev dropped his sperghetti it probably will always for the foreseeable future.

NNID won't get banned for it, I've had no trouble using it with my internet on for screenshots and if that doesn't trip anything then I doubt using it to take screenshots or anything during online gameplay would be an issue.

Perks of Luma? I just want to install CIAs, which Rei does fine. Does it fix the NNID registration horseshit?

Follow up to this.

GBA on A9LH'd 3DS

All you need to do is use "3DS Simple GBA Converter".
github.com/d0k3/3DS-Tools-Collection/tree/master/3DS Simple GBA Converter

1. Get your .gba ROM file
2. Run 3ds_gbaftrgen.exe
3. Click Load from ROM
4. Give it your gba file
5. Click Create and save the .ftr somewhere, like next to the .gba
6. Run 3ds_simple_gba.exe
7. Give it the .gba and .ftr
8. Give it a good TitleID in hexadecimal. Actually, when you start up the converter it's set to random, so that should be fine.
9. Make copies of the 3 pngs and edit them.
10. Set them in the appearance tab
11. Third tab, Caption… I actually don't know where these strings show up. Fill them if you want, but "Short name" might be mandatory. I set short to "Final Fantasy VI Complete" and maker to "Squaresoft".

How's it work? I'm putting Boktai on there if I decide to A9LH my shit up.

Works great. Full speed on O3DS, but HOME menu is exit-only. It's like DS mode.

Welp

What do you mean by registration horseshit?

It won't do sleep mode when you close it either, butt there's some way to patch gba roms to support it because you can get gba games that work with sleep mode on 3dsiso, there's also an edit to get the original colors back so it doesn't look so washed out in the gba vc.

Itll work fine on new 3ds same as o3ds, I have plenty of gba vc on mine.

Logging onto an NNID? You gotta hit the settings for that, but then it reboots to SysNAND, etc. I haven't had a need for it yet, thank god.

That's good to hear about GBA though.

Nothing will really change that, but for most people that's something they only do one time anyways. If you used a9lh it would be less of a pain because you don't have to use an emunand but other than that theres not a whole lot that can be done.

help

i'm following github.com/Plailect/Guide/wiki/Part-4-(Getting-the-OTP)
got the OTP file onto my SD card, ejected it, put it in my PC
and now windows says that i need to format that SD card
am i fucked?

btw it still works fine on 3ds and i can access OTPhelper just fine

Just try taking it out and putting it in again, if it works fine in the 3ds.

I plan on trying homebrew again soon. Last time I tried, I had the change time & date > restart > initialize save data > browserhax > rinse and repeat, until I got bored and moved on. Has getting homebrew from 9.9 gotten any better or would I be doing the same bullshit?

it turns out that my sd card reader refuses to work with that card for some reason no matter what i do
it works with other sd cards tho

Luma has the clock speed option built in. Or does NTR somehow do it better?

because of nintendo account cuckery, i was wondering if it's even possible to perform the system transfer from a cracked 3ds to a regular one?

You can but it will be running signature checks so no illegitimate games will transfer.

Thanks user, good to know. I was worried it might brick

I haven't followed the pirate ship for a while and I'm confused about A9LH

What exactly is RedNAND and do I need that in order to use A9LH? Having EmuNAND wouldn't work?

hey user could you do something for me? click on the FAQ

If you're talking about pastebin.com/j0SfeDUn it doesn't answer my question.
Does EmuNAND work for this or not, because github.com/Plailect/Guide/wiki/Part-3-(RedNAND) doesn't seem to mention that.

github.com/Plailect/Guide/wiki/FAQ

Just be careful. I transferred my old 3DS info to my new cracked 3DS XL and lost some app data in the process. Specifically it was the extra data from MH4U, which means I lost my guild cards, quests, and item sets.

github.com/Plailect/Guide/wiki/Part-5-(arm9loaderhax)

i've followed this whole guide
but after all of the steps i can't launch my sysNAND
the arm9loaderhax is installed just fine (all the features work, and so does the dummy payload from the troubleshooting section)
the guide says my shit is not bricked and tells me to join some >reddit IRC that requres me to answer questions about reddit so i'd rather beg for help here

do you have a cfw arm9loaderhax.bin on your SD card?

download the latest luma3ds or rei and copy the rei folder and a9lh.bin to your sd card.

also, if you have a nand dump already try loading Decrypt9 as arm9loaderhax.bin and restore a backup with restore backup [keep a9lh].

Yeah, it honestly sounds like the NAND restored wrong. I'd just try it again and see what happens.

i've tried restoring original emuNAND twice with hourglass9
is it possible that my backup is fucked?
should i try restoring original sysNAND?

[spoiler]i'm asking questions because my sd card reader broke and i have to use some slow as fuck android phone from 100 years ago as my card reader and transfering anything takes forever[/spoilers]

That's a possibility.
You don't have an older EmuNAND backup you could use?

If not, I guess SysNand will have to do, but if you unlinked your NANDs you might be fucked out of your NNID.

I would say use your sysnand, I didn't really do anything with hourglass9 because Decrypt9/Emunand9 can do everything it can anyways.

if it doesn't include a [keep a9lh] option then your firm0/firm1 will get overwritten, so I would use a nand backup that's less than 11.0 in case something goes wrong.

the guide i was using said to use hourglass, maybe that was a mistake
my sysNAND backup is 9.2 so i guess i could just start over

the only problem here would be saved games
[spoiler]i don't even know what NNID is for, i made it some time ago and it was never usefull? i only ever play singleplayer[spoiler]

holy shit i've fucked up spoilers twice in a row
i'd go to sleep long time ago if it wasn't for that fucking 3ds

Use hourglass9 to validate your emunand backup, just for shits and giggles.

If your Emunand backup is truly fucked (which is looking pretty likely), restore your sysnand backup while it is set to keep A9LH. It looks like Hourglass is a fork of Decrypt9 that does this for you.

That should work.

tried to restore from sysNAND backup and it still gives me black screens
also hourglas9 says both backups are good

Hourglass9 is a stripped down emunand9 with the idea that it's impossible to brick a 3ds using it.

NNID is what lets you play online and download from the eshop.

If it's verifying okay then something weird is up, again, are you sure you have a Luma arm9loaderhax.bin on the root of your SD card? Have you tried any other cfw like reinand or saltfw?

is it even possible that arm9loaderhax.bin was corrupted in some way?
cause i re-downloaded it and now it magicaly works i also put Luma3DS.dat on the root so maybe it was that?

I'd like to thank everyone who was trying to help, it was a bumpy ride but i'm so relieved that none of my games are gone

You most definitely do not need the .dat that's for menuhax, but you did say earlier you were having SD card issues so it seems reasonable that something might have happened.

What's the go-to brand for SDHC cards?

FYI fellow Americucks in Commiefornia, I just bought a N3DS from Amazon and it was at 10.7 barely eligible for the downgrade. I would not advise buying a new one from them in even as little as a couple weeks from now.

I'm sure I will be returning to this thread to ask a few questions, but I've downgraded once before so hopefully won't get too stupid

I've been getting Samsung lately because they're pretty cheap - 10 dollars or so for a 32gb card on best buy, but I wouldn't recommend getting them off if eBay, I got one and it was fucking chink trash, it was actually just 8gb and the guy never refunded me.

Just go to best buy and get it, it's really not that bad for the Samsung cards even though they charge out the ass for everything normally.

I was thinking of getting a 64 tbh fam, probably from Amazon. Samsung has a micro with the adapter for like twenty bucks. The only other brand I really recognize is SanDisk.

Samsung has their own foundries which gives them a couple of advantages over brands other than Sandisk (who also have foundries)

Advantages being:

A) QA along the entire production line

B) They are putting their own asses on the line, so they want their own name to be known as the best/highest quality (they sell their other equal or lesser-than chips to other vendors, who set varying prices on them)

C) They have the most cutting edge equipment in the world for everything having to do with memory, so whatever was hot-shit a few years ago, they had it before that, and so all of the kinks of production were smoothed out

in other words: Samsung makes good shit when it comes to flash memory.

sage for advertisement

PS: If you give any shits about whatever data you're writing never buy Kingston they buy the cheapest (most impure/dirty) batches of everything from the memory modules to the PCBs, to the cases from many different companies and glue all of that shit together as cheaply as possible leaving vastly more room for error than competitor products across the board.

Sandisk is good, they just aren't as cutting-edge as Samsung. See point C in (self-check)

That's not quite correct.
The Sandisk Extreme Pro is actually the fastest SD card you can buy at the moment. Samsung's Pro+ line is a bit slower.

I'm assuming you understand how complicated speed testing on sdcards is, how heavily dependent upon the intended application the performance will be, and how utterly slow the 3ds reads memory, right?

The only real consideration to take into account on the 3ds is reliability. The N3DS, due to its backward compatibility with 3DS titles, is capped by software to read at the maximum speed the 3DS could, which is somewhere

Good to know. If I say, bought one last July, how long until all of my games are lost?

Honestly it will probably be okay if you go easy on it (don't load shit tons of data to it repeatedly, which heats it up) and they have some product lines which aren't AS bottom of the barrel, like any manufacturer, but if one day your shit just didn't work, how much would you pay to instantly have it all back? Another $20? $30? Cloning to a new SD card, even a bigger one, from which you can expand the partition to fully utilize, is very simple.

I'd say sit on it until it's in the budget to get an upgrade, but once the heavy loads are done (like loading a bunch of CIAs at once) it's probably not about to fall apart if it hasn't already.

THE ABSOLUTE MADMAN

Ran into this while putting everything back after the redNAND format. I think it's the emuNAND9 folder that's causing a problem. Which one do I do?

Says it doesn't work for all games, so I'd rather not try.
Looked everywhere, can't find it. Got a link?

here's the thing about the colors:
gbatemp.net/threads/restoring-original-colors-to-gba-vc.427642/

I'm pretty sure you can test the sleep mode thing out in an emulator before packing a .cia though.

fucking lol.

I think installing FBI.cia separately instead of replacing the one in H&S was a very unstable choice.

I've never had that happen.

Injecting it into H&S is built as a short-term thing. You can't update an injected FBI without injecting it again, which is a waste of time. My advice is, install devmenu 11.4, and the latest FBI, and you should be covered.

I guess I'll just go with skip.
Wish me luck.

skip should be fine, if you weren't using fucking windows 10 you could see the files in question and it would be easier to tell.

My copy of FF6A looks fantastic now, thanks.

No problem. I should patch some roms too, but I'm too stupid to know how to make a banner and icon for them.

So, to use NTR, does it matter were I put the Firmware.bin?

nephew's 3ds crashes into BSOD when wifi is turned on, tried recovery mode in which it doesn't crash but it can't detect any wifi networks, are wifi modules known to get fucked or loose?

Some other user had a busted wifi module a while back.
Not sure if that's your issue since his symptoms were different, though it sounds plausible.

im only getting the bsod when turning wifi on, after a couple of seconds. ill have to get around to finding a screwdriver that fits this. Anything i should know/take nito account before opening this up?

Is there a (USA) .cia of Ace Attorney Trilogy out there? Why are all the ones I find (EUR)?

European CIA got ripped first, nobody bothered to rip the USA.

It works fine (I've played through it), and most CFW are region free now, anyway.

Well, the European version itself itself is region free, I was just kind of autistic about getting the US version.

3dsiso.com/cia-downloads/272148-mega-phoenix-wright-ace-attorney-trilogy-usa.html

I thought I saw it in one of the Mega folders in the pasta pastebins.

Where's the best place to reupload CIAs? I don't want anyone else to have to suffer this. There should be a mega shared folder.

Yes there is, I have it.

Thank you user

How easy is it to download GB/GBC games for original 3ds XL. Is it like installing 3ds .cia's I want to play LoZ seasons and ages but on a handheld.

It's the same. GB and GBC aren't weird like DSi games or gba.

So it's .cia also?

For microSD cards, what's the largest that the N3DS can support? Will any size work as long as the card is formatted for FAT32?

THIS.

I learned my lesson when the last card I had in my phone suddenly crapped out and could no longer be recognized by any card reader. It was a Kingston.

Not too big a deal since I had my data on it backed up elsewhere except for some pictures I took during a family trip that I didn't get to back up yet.

Also, for anyone looking to buy a N3DS, there's models out there that have IPS screens rather than TN screens that most models currently have. This video shows the difference, and it's like night and day.

If what the comments point out is true, it can be sent to Nintendo and they'll replace the screens free of charge, which also means getting it back with 11.0 on it. Thus, unless you get lucky, you'd have to choose between all softmod + crappy screens versus better screens but having to do a hardmod, although that may no longer be needed depending on what details are revealed tomorrow. (>>9507111) Plus, you may as well send it if you end up with an 11.0 system anyway.

It should support anything formatted fat 32 but the 3ds itself has a 300 title limit on the home screen. A 64GB card should be more than enough unless you have a ton of shit.

Agreed, and I ordered a 64GB SanDisk card a while back that's still on the way. I just wanted to make sure whatever card I get is big enough for whatever I put on it in the long run and then be done with it. 32GB isn't enough but more than 64 seems overkill.

It's a good spot, I have a 64gb micro SD with 33 3ds cias, 20 snes vc, 16 gba vc, and some more stuff and still have 16gb left for nand dumps or new games and shit.

I'm on 9.9 and I have ironhax, is that good or should I try and set up homebrew another way? I don't really see it being discussed anymore.

it's good if you have it, it's not discussed anymore because nintendo started blocking it in new updates.

You want to set up menuhax because ironhax didn't have a good rate with downgrading.

It's not that it didn't have a good success rate (it's no worse than menuhax), it just takes a long fucking time to start it up.

I heard the system slowed down with sizes greater than 32 gb

Rather, it had a low success rate with the old sysupdater, it's probably fixed with newer versions.

the bootup process takes a little longer, but you can combat that by formatting bigger cards with 64k allocation size.

Also, before anybody says anything about it, no, browserhax won't work right now, yellows8's server is down. You'll just have to wait or use other entry points if you're planning on setting up right now, it should be up later on.

I'm a little pissed because the dns is down and I want to play splatoon

hardmods are starting to become more and more attractive

what makes you say that? After you get the downgrade done you should never need browserhax again.

It's open source, you can always host it yourself if you really need it.
Shouldn't take more than an hour or two to set it up.

QUICK HOW DO I FIGURE OUT THE REGION OF A GAME THAT'S ALREADY INSTALLED

Never mind, found it.

Anyone have a CIA for Ace Combat Assault Horizon Legacy Plus EUR update? Whatever's most recent.

Since vola is dead.

I currently have a 9.2 sys/10.7 emu o3ds xl, running rx tools with ctrbootmanager.

If I want to switch to Luma, do I just copy only the Luma3ds.bat file and edit the boot.cfg?

what about the boot.3dsx?

You need the boot 3dsx if you're loading through the homebrew launcher, I'm not sure if you need it for a boot manager though.

should i just remove bootmanager then?

I ended up getting my own new 3ds (eu) earlier this week and it was on 9.10 I believe.
As for the SD card make sure it's a microSD card and I believe the new 3ds can only handle cards upto 32gig in size so you might as well get that.

I have a bit of a beginners question though: Since I believe recent CFW changes have put most systems on SYSNAND rather then EMUNAND do you risk bricking your system if a game or official app asks you to update your system and you update it? I kinda wanna play online but I don't wanna risk accidentally downloading an update and bricking/replacing the firmware with legit 11.0. Pic related it's me whenever I have my system online.