Why did Starcraft 2 fail?

Why did Starcraft 2 fail?

Of the reasons I've heard "no fun allowed", "too hard" and "made for elitists at expense of casual players" seem most accurate.

Other urls found in this thread:

wiki.teamliquid.net/starcraft/Terran_vs._Protoss_Guide
wiki.teamliquid.net/starcraft/Zerg_vs._Protoss_Guide
wiki.teamliquid.net/starcraft/PVPGuide
sirlin.net/posts/sirlin-on-game-design-ep-13-starcraft-2
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

'Elitists' is only said by faggots who've had their feelings upset. Just like 'basement dweller' and 'not a real gamer'.

Gookclick that focused on APM and "muh esports" that got overshadowed and annihilated by ASSFAGGOTS cause they took it's entire market.

Did it fail really ?
Biggest populated rts these years.
And the casual play there is in the arcades.Not 1v1 or 2v2.

It failed people as lore and fun. But to the blizz marketing team it is probably a huge success.

SC2 was clearly made with the "e-sports" thing prioritized over the "fun" thing.

got raped to death by LoL, DOTA2, CS GO etc.

SC2 was meant to be "the" esport.

They have a new CO-OP mode which is pretty fun however the competitive multiplayer is still more like War3x in space than SCBW.

Nah
The only mistake blizzard themselves made was making mediocre expansions
None were brood war tier
ASSFAGGOTS are what really killed it. A lot of people left starcraft for them.
I actively enjoyed playing HotS and even made it to plat. I stopped playing because everyone I knew moved on to LoL and the sense of community died.

Yeah but why did everyone move from SC2 to LoL and DOTA2?

The reasons in the OP?

video from 2012 about the issues.

SC2 custom modes get boring fast and multiplayer requires twitch action.

That said LoL came out before SC2 and the chinks pour millions into it.

It focused a lot on esports, and then it turned out that some games are a lot better at esports than starcraft 2 was.

For esports, they are just a lot better.
For regular games, they also were a lot more noob friendly. They are also free. And esport/streaming is advertisement. So if they are better for esport, they advertise themselves more, they get played more.

It tried to focus on esports and got crushed by f2p games and much cheaper CS:GO.

As RTS it is fine. Bit too focused on micro than base building and macro for me but it is good game.

First of it is free.
Second it is much more easier to play.

How?

it was killed by the esport pandering.

ASSFAGGOTS is better cause it took the micro from RTS, dumbed it down and made it more flashy.
I

Its a lot flashier.
The way it is viewed by the fans is a lot closer to actual sports (although that is more the reason that assfaggots won vs quake and the like than vs starcraft).
There are a bunch of "skills" per player, and the viewer can easily understand what just happened most of the time while not needing to know too much about the metagame.
Its a team game, so its easier on the fans. You can support a team, which means people can leave the team but you still support the same old thing.
They also have a lot more money pumped into them.

You've never cannon rushed someone my friend. That's 110% base building.

Nobody moved there, The entire ASSFAGOTS market exploded and brought a large number of people who didn't gave a shit about MP games or "esports" into the fray, sponsors realized that the market share was larger for the easier to approach and understand ASSFAGOTS, money started running out for SCII scene, gook teams started colluding and fucking up with bets leading to a large ammount of money being lost in legal fuckery, dooming the international scene for SCII.

Basically the new kid in the playground was sexier and more approachable to all the bitches and the SCII nerd got thrown into dog shit in a failed attempt at grabbing the attention back to them.

Lmao

i thought there were some really quality custom games for sc2 but i havent played since hots was released cuz im a jew and didnt want to fork over the cash

the real problem was, they implemented a system to queue into people with custom games, which was cool, but the problem was there was no support in it for new versions, so if two people were trying to play the same thing but one person was trying v1.02 and another person was trying v1.021 they couldnt queue into each other defeating the entire purpose.

so, in order to make the system work people started playing only the most popular maps and it kinda became a causality loop where people stopped branching out, therefore it became stale.

It's the same now. Almost the same shit played every day for months in the arcade.

shame. i always thought starcraft 2 was fun and the custom games had a lot of potential.

It's fun for a few weeks and then it feels like eating oats every morning, without the gains.

name some games with higher skill ceilings.

SC2 didn't fail, the RTS genre just isn't the hot shit anymore just like adventure games used to be but now are not either. It made the best of what it could be.

SCBW, Quake, Guilty Gear

Starcraft 1

Because Blizzard decided it'd be a great idea to hire the retard that completely fucked up the balance in Dawn of War's expansions, who proceeded to do the same thing with StarCraft 2.

Are you handicapped?

what are you trying to say?

and also if anything starcraft 2 wasn't pandered to "elitists". uncapping unit sizes and making everything less retarded including AI pathfinding (so you don't have to inch every fucking unit around the map) only invited more players. there was fucking nothing they could have done, most people are fringe players and rts is the past. the other people were alienated because even though starcraft 2 is literally 1 with all the problems fixed they can't handle any amount of change and shit on it without even trying it in the first place (and don't intend to, they don't like being wrong)

It failed because it was designed for E-SPORTS and MOBAs took RTS's place as the main competitive genre.

As for why ASSFAGGOTS did better? Low skill floor, high skill ceiling. You do not have to be very good at all to be marginally successful in ASSFAGGOTS, think like silver or low gold tiers. Yet pros are extremely skilled at their roles and do things casual players wouldn't think of, giving the casual player a reason to watch the pros play.

ASSFAGGOTS also have evangelizing fanboys. You've probably seen more than one thread on Holla Forums about guys saying they've lost friends to LOL and it's true, if you have a friend that gets into LOL, he will not talk about anything else. It's the only game he'll play, the only hobby he spends money on, and he just becomes EXTREMELY dull. Your only options are to hope his interest in LOL gets exhausted quickly, find new friend, or join him down that hole.

In my case, we had this guy on Teamspeak that is WAY too into LOL, but he was a friend's friend, so whatever. Anyway, my friend decides to give LOL a shot. Thank God it only lasted two weeks, because fuck if he'd talk about anything other than me needing to try LOL. IT was to the point I wanted to strangle him.

Not sure why he stopped, probably because the guy who converted him in the first place didn't get on Teamspeak that much and no-one else would pick LOL up. Whatever the reason, I'm just glad he stopped.

user, are you high? Fighting games have extreme skill ceilings, same with fps. Granted, I know shit about Guilty Gear, but the fact that you're shit talking Quake at all puts you at 16.

Balance

GENERAL
Players can no longer hide units by setting them in a close proximity patrol (ex: Viking flower).

This is just an example.

1- Mobas are easier to git gud at than RTS.
2- Old SC fans dislike forced micromanagement and no LAN.
3- All campaign missions are against the clock. No more "obliterate the enemy base, which is so big it covers 90% of the map".

I remember the last mission of Terran's Brood War, where you had to endure constant attacks from a super Ultralisk called Torrasque in homage to a legendary D&D creature.
Is there any legal way of buying old Blizzard games, including SC1 with Brood War?

In their website

Lmao, keep telling yourself that, moba babby.

What?

There is MUCH LESS micro than in BW now. Actually we are pissed off that you can't micro most units anymore

One of the contributing factors is that SC2 is just one big game of Rock, Paper, Scissors.

If ASSFAGGOTS do one thing correctly, it's pandering to the casual crowd, while still maintaining the competitive scene for them to watch.
Casuals love watching e-sports, but if there's no casual aspect of the game they're watching, they're essentially just watching a game that they don't play.

All of this combined with the fact that a lot of key features were sold in expansion packs that should have been included in the base game, and you've got a long, slow death over the course of 6 years.

tl;dr, they tried too hard to be the "BIG MLG E-SPORT™", but had no casual modes for the shitters.

maybe starcraft 2 is imbalanced, i am not familiar enough with the game yet, but starcraft 1 is by no means balanced. at all. protoss is looked down on being used and people will straight up leave the fucking game if you choose them because they are broken in their eyes. terran is recognized as a shit class completely useless against capable zerg or protoss classes too and only hipsters trying to gain fame by using this shit class and people who absolutely love their music use it. competitive starcraft has always been a fucking joke, i didn't even know people went online in the game until like 2007 when people were still fucking playing it for some reason

What does a success story look like to you?

You have no idea the competitive balance of the original Starcraft.

wiki.teamliquid.net/starcraft/Terran_vs._Protoss_Guide

wiki.teamliquid.net/starcraft/Zerg_vs._Protoss_Guide

wiki.teamliquid.net/starcraft/PVPGuide

The race is not unbalanced.

The best competitive SC1 player, BoxeR, was a Terran player.

People still play it. You can still regularly find games for it using a fanmade launcher

just because there are strategies doesn't mean it's balanced

This fucker right here. He's responsible for balancing and overall game design philosophy.
his earlier career includes "balancing" Dawn of War expansions

It just wasn't a fun of a game as the previous installment.

are you retarded?

Protoss have the most expensive units in the game. As a result a solid rush can wipe a protoss player out. It's why the majority of protoss strategies involve building a base of defenses just to survive an early rush so you can build more units. A Terran player who knows what he's doing can take out a Protoss player fairly easily. Protoss are the easiest to rush by Zerg players even in midgame.

Protoss is a race that is much better in the lategame due to it's overpowered lategame units but you need a solid economy to actually take advantage of them.

The most efficient weakness a protoss player has is most of his units are affected by Terran spider mines for instance. Most competitive games i've seen of Terran vs protoss have the terran player spawn dozens of vultures and plant spidermines everywhere to avoid the protoss rush. Stuff like that.

There's a lot more to the balance of the game, just watch a few Terran vs Protoss or Zerg vs Protoss games it's not an unbalanced race.

shit campaign
little advertising
we want the esports audience

sirlin.net/posts/sirlin-on-game-design-ep-13-starcraft-2

It failed because…well basically everything.

the biggest flaw with the game was releasing the story in 3 parts

SC1 was a complete game with a complete campaign that satisfied even if you didn't dip into multiplayer. You got Blizzard's trademark multiple factions with their own stories and it felt like a true successor to Warcraft
And then they followed it up with an expansion with just as much content.

SC2 gave terrans. And that was it. If you wanted more, dip into the multiplayer.

It didn't help the story they did release was complete garbage.

The writing was garbage. I hated the campaign to Starcraft 2.

Who knows OP.

It got bad because of weird space magic shit.

I honestly wasn't surprised they started introducing weird space magic shit.

The original Starcraft had a compelling campaign because all of the characters had clear motivations. Mensgk wanted power and wanted to control all of the Terrans and unite them under his banner. Raynor wanted revenge. Kerrigan wanted revenge against Mensgk but also wanted to control the sector with the Zerg out of her selfish need to control everything. Tassadar wanted to destroy the zerg by any means necessary even if it required teaming up with the Terrans. Etc. Everything felt clear and understandable.

When you start introducing comic book villains and "space magic" it starts reading like an episode of He-Man

The original Starcraft is one of the few sci-fi games where I actually got really invested in the story because it was so grounded and everything felt clear. Despite it having weird space aliens in it.

It didn't fail, it just wasn't marketed properly.

SCII is a South Korean educational tool. That's all.

It doesn't offer enough differences between battles. MOBAS do. Both genres involve autistically building something up for a round to beat your opponent, only to start over from nothing the next round.

But MOBAs have a ton of variables regarding the different characters and how it affects the game. You also have the human element from your team that affects everything.

SC2 was the same fucking thing every round. Scout, see what your opponent is doing, try and counter it. It was way too fucking repetitive compared to MOBA. At least with MOBA you have different characters and have to respond differently depending on what is in your lane, who is jungling, etc.

For the record, I think both suck. I played a bunch of SC2 and was Diamond or some shit. I had more fun with MOBA even though I was ranked lower, because it had a lot more play options because of the characters.

i could care less about all the shit people are talking about in this thread but i dont like how they flipped the custom game interface on its ass and tried to monetize it.
maybe it isnt blizzards fault though, i mean, warcraft 3s fun map days are all but over and creativity has kind of stagnated there.