Rumor: New Xbone models out soon

>gematsu.com/2016/05/rumor-smaller-xbox-one-launching-2016-powerful-xbox-one-2017

Taken directly from the website's article

Of course it's probably bullshit, but assuming this is in fact real, I don't understand what console manufacturers are thinking. Slim models are fine, but more powerful addons remind me of the "New" 3DS and the Sega genesis add ons, where they were basically useless and alienated people that stuck with the system since the beginning

Other urls found in this thread:

vimeo.com/14388358
dsogaming.com/news/halo-gears-war-future-games-reported-coming-pc/
gamesindustry.biz/articles/2013-10-09-digital-rights-are-exhausting-is-it-legal-to-sell-second-hand-digital-games
nichegamer.com/2016/05/26/worldwide-playstation-4-sales-exceed-40-million/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

maybe the failure of both consoles will be what finally forces m$ out of the console market
maybe
just maybe
i'd like to believe

I hope that if they do drop out of consoles, that they try to do a handheld console. Just to see what they would shit out.

They really seem to be pushing the move to Windows 10 a lot though. Too bad they can't optimize worth a shit after what happened with Quantum Break, and apparently they have always online DRM

A Vita clone that spies on you?

That just leaves it open for Sony to spy on you though

But muh nier

but muh kingdom hearts 3

Liking weeaboo stuff pretty much forces you to buy a PS4 eventually.

Its a called a Vita and not beinv a fucking idiot.

If this is true i don't know what spells "out of the market" better than this, they are basically bullshitting and doing a smooth exit over the course of several years

So much for the power of the cloud. Do they even bother hyping up that bullshit anymore?

That means a huge amount of overhead in development for a tiny increase in performance. Instead of emulation or a compatibility layer on their end they're going for the absolute worst possible solution of bogging everything down and increasing the complexity substantially. If they make this a requirement for third party developers they're finished, nobody is going to work on such a platform without being paid to do so.

It's simple, instead of wasting their time and money making games forward compatible they're passing the problem on to the developers.

Who the fuck would fall for their scam twice

Sensible kek

I don't understand Microsoft. How can a company that is worth billions of dollars make such a glaring fucking mistake that is still relatively recent? Hell, it almost killed SEGA the Sega-CD was great, fuck 32x. Who is going to be buying this shit? The manufacturing costs themselves are reason enough not to do it, I don't even want to know how the marketing team can successfuly market these products when the differences between the launch Xbone and the Xbone 2.0 will be minimal. Even then, who on Earth is going to develop for the different systems? Theres barely any games on the Xbone as it is, how is anyone going to justify this purchase to get the flavor of the month game that only runs on the Xbone 2.0?

The way it sounds, the Xbox is literally turning into a PC with closed hardware. Any game you buy will play on any iteration of the hardware - but the settings will have to be tiered between low end and high-end. Only people who have the latest and greatest Xbox hardware can play new games on the highest settings. If you just buy a low-end Xbox, you can still play the games, but you'll have reduced textures, shit lighting, reduced draw distance… etc.

It's basically an MS version of the SteamBox, but without access to the OS.

If anything that makes the costumer not want any of the products because the moment they buy the Xbox 2.0, the 3.0 will be out. Add-ons haven't worked for vidya, especially not now when games are so god-damn expensive to make.

I might be ok with this "Scorpio" shit, if they at least offer a major trade in discount for those who have a regular XB1 and want to upgrade. Doubt they will do that though.

vimeo.com/14388358

Why would you need a glorified computer when you can play the same games on a real computer?

dsogaming.com/news/halo-gears-war-future-games-reported-coming-pc/

But people do that know with their cell phones.

now*

If it's Minecraft or Halo that's at least 5-6 million units sold there.

You have to remember that xbone users pay to use online. Back when it was doing well that meant a billion a year in revenue with subscription fees alone. The consoles are loss leaders to get people hooked on their online service where they get a 30% cut on all purchases and a steady stream of cash from subscribers.

That's why Microsoft employees were smugly laughing at people who asked if the xbone could be used offline. These people don't give a flying fuck about gaming or consoles, the xbox brand was created with the sole intention of putting Windows in the living room.

It's only a detriment to the consumer if you can't play Xbox 3.0 games on an Xbox 2.0. What they're wanting to do is to effectively erase console "generations", so that all games will play on all hardware - unless the specs are so out of date that even the lowest settings will tax the system too much, which is only going to happen every 5~8 years. On your end, you're still only buying hardware "once a generation" - except that new console you buy will have total and complete backwards compatibility with older hardware iterations.

The only people it's really going to fuck are those idiots who have to always have the latest and greatest hardware - because you have to buy a whole new box every time, rather than just upgrading components.

They're trying to turn both the PC and Console markets into a model that more resembles the Mobile market.

>only one post mentions sony is doing the exact same thing with the 4.5/NEO
Sonyggers please.

god bless microshaft for putting all the things I hate together in one massive clump to avoid
if EA would just finally turn into an exclusive xbox brand it'd be perfect

I only remember this one asshole that you quoted.
Who got fired for being a smug asshole.

Nowadays he's trying to make a living making walking simulators. Don't buy ADR1FT. Pirate it if you have to. Pirate it if you know a faggot that for some inexplicable reason needs to have this shit in his life and is to retarded to pirate it himself.
FUCK
ADAM
ORTH

Also, it makes a certain amount of sense on their part. If you release a console and it flops (like the Xbone did), it's very hard to regain enough momentum to make it worth the investment. You're stuck twisting in the wind for 5~6 years until the next generation kicks off for another chance.

By erasing console "generations", they can focus more on branding and software features, while only incrementally increasing hardware power… and rather than tying a new generation to some gimmicky technology (like Motion Control/Kinect) - they can create new branching portfolios for each add-on, with it's own specific games for those add-ons (and patches for base hardware games to make them compatible) - meanwhile if those gimmicks fail, they can be compartmentalized and cut loose without abandoning the whole platform (WiiU).

But Sony at least has games user.

No, Sony has games :^)

Anyone who buys a new xbox is a traitor

Worked out well for SEGA.

maybe they should just update Xbox One to Two and Three, like they updated Windows 7 and 8 to 10

I can't help but get the feeling that you're still missing a crucial part of the formula. Core concept maybe?

Some of his tweets are pretty great.

Who said anything about stock? Why the smarm?

Microsoft already did something similar to this back with the MSX.

They are already leaving. You can see the writing on the wall with them wanting to make xbox and w10, one platform.

Im sorry but ps4 still has exclusives i need :(

You know, every time games """""journalists""""" and bloggers wrote about how the console market is coming to an end, I rolled my eyes and called them retards. And I was right to do so.
But this changes things, if it's true. If Microsoft and Sony both go down this route, the last advantage of console gaming (a fixed hardware platform that is relevant for many years) will be gone, and the console market really will end.

All 3 of them?

You got some awful senses

Just a crazy thought, but what if M$ and $ony decide behind closed doors that their next generation of consoles will have significantly less power than your average gaming PC in order to justify both a higher cost of ownership due to "production costs and quality control" and to "return to the roots of gaming" by making consoles less like gaming PCs?

Well you're remembering wrong, their message back then even after that guy was fired was if you're not going to use it online then don't bother using it at all.

To them a console that can be used offline doesn't make any sense. Online is where they make their money.

I don't think they're colluding. But I think they're both working on the (wrong) assumption that this won't fuck them in the ass. Maybe they're both using the same market research data or something.

I'm not, he was the only one that was a smug asshole about it. Of course everyone talked the party line, but most had the sense to do it in a diplomatic tone. With one retarded exception.
Correct. I got that message loud and clear, just like several million more. No regrets for us, can't speak for them though

If they hadn't killed the Xbox before, they did now.

Whats the point of having a console if you are going to have to update the hardware every 2 years?
there are not even enough games to buy any of the original models, all of the retards that got one on launch day just wasted their money on a netflix machine.

This has been a common practice since the SNES and PSX. Remember the smaller SNES sold when the N64 came out or the PSone? Why are you all acting surprised or angry is beyond me, this is a good thing because hardware evolves and gets smaller and the problems with it are fixed as well as a smaller price.

Did you even read the op?

Oh boy, time for double the QA budget not

Even the weeb games end up on PC now.

I asked myself that very question in 2001, and came to the conclusion that I should just stop buying consoles.

Better late than never, user.

Consoles have always served the righteous npurpose of providing you know, video games on a physical disk/cartridege that you can use without needing to go online. You buy it once and it's yours forever, not so on PC, etc w/e.

Microsoft as usual is trying to fuck up the market an monopolize everything some how, and as usual they'll probably fail at it, win10 is garbage too.

This meme needs to die

gamesindustry.biz/articles/2013-10-09-digital-rights-are-exhausting-is-it-legal-to-sell-second-hand-digital-games

Keep on memeing

Stay cucked son

It may surprise you to learn that people have been buying hard copies of PC games without the necessity of being online for decades. That said, if there's anything that can be fucked up I'm sure microshaft will find a way to do it.

Don't most console games require a substantial download these days anyway? At least that's how my casual xbro friends talk about it

Digital is not physical. I don't give a shit about re selling digital games because I prefer to physically own my games like I always have on my PlayStations.

As I undestand it you need to activate the content, not so on PS4 currently, although updates and DLC are a thing now..

How old are you?

Doesn't matter.

Maybe?
I don't have one, but my cousin does. Last time I was up in his neighborhood to visit, we stopped out at GameStop and I got God of War collection for my Vita and he got CoD BLops III or some shit for his XBone. Two days later, I had beaten GoW I and was about 1/3rd of the way through GoW II - and his Xbone was still "installing" the game. He's got really shitty internet out there… like, 1.5 or 3mbps or something. Either the way Xbone installs games from the disk is completely fucked - or it's downloading over the internet.

Those are some real mental gymnastics son

It's relevant to the discussion at hand, because you have an extremely warped/limited view of PC gaming that in all likelihood is coming from you being underage.

Sure bro, sure

Nice dubs but you're wrong. How is my understanding lacking? last time I played a PC game I had to activate the disk like some criminal.

If this is true, I predict the death of consoles in approximately 2 years.

Physical PC Gaming

Physical Console Gaming

PC gaming has always been, and will always be superior. I can play every PC game all the way back to the early 90s, and every fucking gen 1-6 console game, all for free.

You can't even play the fucking PS3 games you own on your fucking bloodbornestation.

Wat?

Christ, stick to your fucking brick you pleb.

Woah, calm down there Reddit.

Everything is physical when I can crack it and dump it on one of my many externals :^)

As expected, I'm not in some dipshit dick measuring contest with you over what is my opinion. I prefer my consoles for reasons that may not apply to my PC and vice versa, comparing them in the first place is pointless since the serve in distinctive ways on purpose.

That's your reply? heheh This antiquated notion that PCs and consoles are like sports teams or something would apply except they're different sports all together, so it doesn't.

This dance has been mundane at best, PC only friends are limited by defenition.

Limited compared to what? Certainly not consoles.

Feels good man :^)
Miss Piratebay thought, Kat is fucking horseshit and private trackers are hard to find.
Then again, GameCopyWorld is pretty good to find most cracks.

I sure hope you own a Vita an not an 8th gen home console to back up your argument.

You think so?

If you only play on PC you're limited to PC only, pretty fucking obvious.

TPB is back, and Demonoid is alive again as well. I've found a bunch of obscure older vidya on Demonoid that I couldn't find live torrents for anywhere else.

But I just explained to you here that I can play every fucking Gen 1-6 console game and every good PC game all the way back to the early 90s, while you're stuck with your arbitrarily locked down hardware with no real backwards compatibility. Am I more or less limited than you? :^)

You keep arrogantly ignoring that I have a PC to play games on too, I own every video game and system I've ever wanted, that fact doesn't change the fact that I prefer each device for different reasons, really not complicated.

You can't go full sonygger and then just shift gears once you start losing the argument and pretend to be an idort. That's some pathetic, disingenuous debating right there.

Nice buzzwords, little substance.

Hes trying to convey the fact that he owns both platforms.
I dont really believe him thought his knowledge of the platform as gaming device is skin deep.

Barely see any updates though, and wasnt it an FBI honeypot?

Not an argument, but I'm sure you already knew that :^)

lmao

DOSBox hasn't reached a good form
Xbox still cannot be emulated
Sega Saturn still cannot be emulated
Vectrex graphics ar eliterally impossible in a PC

You are not wrong entirely but you are taking the full cake when you literally can't

Thta't why I brought it up.

Tell me user, what games do you play?

How so? Most software works great, requirements are only slightly above a toaster.
Its getting there
A sad reality

As far as I know, no one has ever been prosecuted for downloading vidya. I've been doing it since 96 without any trouble. Also TorrentFreak has some good articles on TPB and why it's unlikely to be an FBI honeypot.

Can you give me one top-tier game from the early 90s that just straight up doesn't work on win7?
I will surely miss those three good exclusives.
Weird, since I just completed Die Hard Arcade through SSF.
I will surely miss those zero good Vectrex games as well :^)

You can have that 0.0001% of the cake back, user.

I've played all kinds of games.

Good one user.

Guess Ill just VPN bypass it then

Yeah, since 2008 am i rite
Failure, but i didn't know it was in a stable form, so i take it back anyways
Not dissing the PC but the mustards, aka Reddit kids who really believe their superiority drivel and dont even apply it, are worst than Nintenyearolds at arguing.
At least you can talk properly

A self-respectable man makes his PC a good one and buys consoles on pennies when he sees one. Idort is the only way, and someone who spends 150 bucks on misc. PC parts cannot be assed to spend 50 on 3 consoles, especially if he takes this hobby "seriously"

The one Microsoft is leaking stuff so people are forced to change due to security? i agree it's the best one but we cannot use it forever like XP
Still:
X-Com, CyberJudas
Confirmed for not knowing shit about vidya, same with Vectrex
PS2 emulated? if not then i take it back

I take my icing back, buddy, and i take the cake too because i have both machines

desperation.exe

I heard the PS4 was actually killing it in console sales.

All these crazy approaches to selling their platform but have they tried…making games?

I really don't see this being a success.

The economy's about to head downwards, and people have already been burned by the current generation. If anything, the announcement of this kind of shift is going to lead people to wait until the next version, especially if all the "next gen" games are playable on the current gen… and they're going to have to be if any developers want to make any sales at all.

I only buy consoles that have been BTFO in terms of piracy.
That's why I'll never own a vita.

Well that's why i also put the part of liking the hobby enough to spend money on it
I understand living in a shithole in terms of market renders almost impossible to collect/use proper shit
Still like you said nothing beats proper hardware, unless the emulated way agregates better shit, like Dolphin who even has multiplayer, shame the Wii has a dildo for controller

You should have had all microshit telemetry disabled from day 1, and you don't need to worry about those bogeyman "security issues".
Don't tell me you're that steel battalion guy from the Xbox thread with the collection of weeb/mediocre games.
Through SSF.

No i'm not, but it's highly ignorant to say the Xbox has 3 games, though one would be lying to say it has more than 25
I would say 15, which is more than the 3 consoles combined this gen, and breaks the rule of minimum 12 games for a console to be worth it
Steel Battalion not included because come on, you can't even play it properly
I take it back then, i though that was still in a shit state
Need to play Street Fighter Zero 3 translated

I was an idort until 7th Gen, dropped it when you had to install games and online focus and DLC became a thing.
Then there was a legit reason to own a console due to most devs going console or multiplat.
Now?
Not a fucking chance, 8th Gen is pure cancer and wannabe idorts usually ignore shit like GSG, 4X and RTS/RTT.

The exclusives that are worth it are just too few.
-Gravity Rush 2
-Persona 5
-Bloodborne
-Yakuza Kiwami
-Nier 2
-Maybe Nioh and thats if its not ported
Thats fucking it

If you think PC elitism wasnt a thing before Reddit you're pretty new.

There is no way this will not kill them or make them pull out of gaming.

How long till the faggotry plaguing PC(Indies/Intrusive DRM) gaming dies as well?

Besides like JSRF, are there any top-tier xbox games that are still exclusive to it today? It had a lot of good multiplats (although some had really shitty performance problems, like mgs2 at the tanker) but today the PS2 versions with the internal resolutions cranked are better.
You're in luck.

PC elitism before Reddit was more of a joke, not taken seriously because the comparisons are unecessary.

Obviously that's not the case, but just like how many casuals invaded the game industry, so did many "posers"
PC Master Race, like it or not, was always a tongue-in-cheek joke about how many limitations consoles had compared to the recent build many hobbyists had
Later on due to reasons we already know, many young users started to take this VERY SERIOUSLY, to the point it stood lower compared to these rustic consoles, that is kids who build a 400 buck rig and only play Minecraft/LoL/emulators before Gen 6, plus the Steam dependency
You think games are unoptimized these days because devs are dumb? you wouldn't be wrong, but it comes into play the factor of these newlyfound audience that doesn't care, they will just throw money into the lastest minimum requirement piece
This sadly is the majority of PC users these days, it always was, those were the piracy's finest, but now it is the vast vocal majority too, in both fields

Same here and agree completely, just waiting to catch cheap deals on the Wii U, and some day in the future a Forza Machine
But ignoring GSG is not that bad, there's only swedish cancer these days

Contrary to most people, I didn't start with the NES or SNES. I started with the Playstation. I used to be a PC gamer, until the pace of PC hardware development in the late nineties became too expensive for me. Luckily, all of the PC third parties were on PS1. So I bought a PS1 to catch up on PC games that I missed – they were in 320x240 with awful controls, but they were still playable. Driver. Warzone 2100. Destruction Derby. Those were the days, man.

Then I discovered Japanese games especially the JRPG, and have been a weeb gamer ever since. I have ignored the PC market for a long time because all I saw were the few EA DVD-ROMs on store shelves. I looked at Steam at one point and saw only dudebro shooters.

Then the weeb games started getting ported to Steam, and I was really confused. But that was the canary in the coalmine for me regarding console and even handheld games.
I bought a 3DS, my first– and likely last– Nintendo machine, and only to catch up on exclusive Nintendo Japan games. But I saw that the future will be dominated not by consoles and handhelds, but by PC and mobile.

Mobile is a shitshow, but PC is where it's getting interesting. I actually have what can be termed my first 'gaming pc' in decades, made possible because computers are so cheap to build now, with everything coming from China. On the other hand, consoles are staying in the same $300-$500 price range. And so do smartphones (without contract). So the device in the end doesn't matter. But gaming PCs are only 17 million, or half the number of PS4s out there. What's happening is a general trend of hardcore games and hardcore devices dwindling in mass market appeal.

Then you're still retarded if you think consoles are worth shit. They bring nothing but exclusivity, which doesn't improve the quality of games whatsoever. The only possible application a console can have over PC, is portability, Such as the vita, 3DS, and shitty phone games. And those, only because they are still more portable than a laptop.

It would be best for games if they were available almost universally on one platform. PC is the best available platform for this, and has been for decades.

You're awfully familiar with reddit, user. Since I don't use reddit, and do not make a habit of going there and checking up on the current trends, what they do or don't do does not influence my thought process or actions.

Making fun of consolebabbies who enjoy getting their shitpussies split by corporate cock instead of demanding better performance and better games, and actually voting with their wallets has never had anything to do with reddit.

With the current cancerous business practices, is the only sane answer.

True, Master Race fags are nothing but multiplatform heavily marketed shit eating Steamcucks who jerk themselves off at playing the Bitcher 3 at 1080p.

Thank God for pirating
Stellaris might be a casualized hybrid, but its still pretty good and a new IP.
Im going to cry when they release HoI4 thought, thats just pathetic and the CK2 fags will eat that shit right up.

Halfcucks wasnt the only place on the internet friendo, Im sorry.
I didnt even knew about the Aussfag before dropping consoles completely.

Battlezone 98 got a remaster, you should check it out.
Its breddy gud

Actually games that wouldn't have been made otherwise are being funded by these console manufacturers (excluding microsoft/windows/xbox)

The fact that you keep boasting about emulating games that were literally created for previous console generations in the first place is ironic since you demonize them so much.

I play on anything I choose to play on because video games, that is all. Call me whatever the fuck you want, see if actually care…

Son, you defended incremental upgrades because "muh physical", when you got BTFO you couldnt stop crying about it.
Nobody gives a shit about your shitty laptop, you dont even give a shit about it since you pretty obviously main your PS4, I can tell due to your piss poor knowledge about the platform.

Utter garbage, I bet you're some blonde bitch.

From had some: Otogi, Otogi 2, Metal Wolf Chaos and the definitive version of Tenchu 3 (Return from Darkness), and i mean definitive, it was so remade they had to change the name
Thou i wouldn't call MWC a top-tier game, but highly interesting for its niche
Tony Hawk Pro Skater 2X is a remake of THPS1 and 2 but with the THPS3 engine, there's been a project recently very similar for PC only, but haven't heard much lately and this one is official
Both Kingdom Under Fire games are pretty babby compared to some titles in PC, but they are very well made and a good time killer for fans of the genre, we can say high quality time killers for its niche
Crimson Skies: High Road to Revenge is the sequel to the very well regarded PC game, and it's pretty good
Breakdown is a very interesting FPS/Brawler, definetely a top game, but not classic
Blood Wake is Twisted Metal on water, and well made too
Phantom Dust is a great game, sadly with a sequel killed off recently
Kung Fu Chaos is great fun for nubrawler fans, although maybe not mandatory like The Warriors
Sega threw many great games, sadly they jewed out and put many on the PS2 (Space Channel Five part 2) but left some, including Panzer Dragoon Orta, the complete Sega Soccer Slam version, and the already mentioned JSRF

12 games there, but i have to admit i was thinking of more that were kicked out by many counter parts in PC, Rallisport 2 is a mandatory Rally game but the new DiRT kicks it hard
Conker remake is excellent but many flaws make the N64 version a very notable competitor, to the point many prefer it
Dead or Alive Ultimate gets kicked by DoA4 or 5
Also the shame that many multiplats have the superior builds on the Xbox, something a PC emulator could easily exploit with hardware, more than the PS2

We have been invaded by them multiple times, it takes the company to know the tendencies, and it's awfully obvious some marketers check for them, and not for the jaded outcasts we mustly are
It does influence what you play, see or get, that's the sad thing
Consolebabbies are actually voting with their wallets, i cannot make so much fun of them unlike those bunch of people who bought Arkham something something that was unplayable on the PC, and bought it so much that they decided to make a remake to nail it and still fail again
Or the vast number of pre-orders of Fallout 4, or the pursuit of another sequel for Fve Nights at Freddy's, or the constant jewery not seen on console for Payday 2
Wii U sold 20 million less than the Wii in the same time, Xbone and PS4 has their numbers halted drastically in the last months, people are waking up… or they don't have money… or the used market is saturated by those tired of waiting for games

Good list actually. I hadn't touched my Xbox in so long I forgot about Crimson Skies. I'm tempted to dig that shit out and go play it now.
I've been here since moot shoah'd Holla Forums, and from my perspective it has always had a roughly 10:1 shitpost to quality post ratio. It may have been better before that, but that's now such an insignificantly small portion of 8/v/'s lifetime it's hardly relevant at this point. Even when hotwheels went full freddit breddit, I don't recall seeing any noticeable decrease in quality.
Considering how many of them spent $460+tax on Bloodborne, I don't necessarily think that's the case. Sure the attach rate is lower than ever, but I think that's less about them waking up, and more about there just being not a lot of good games.
There were full refunds issued for anyone who wanted them. I agree that most of those sales shouldn't have happened in the first place.
It's a core Bethesda game. Normalfags are going to buy that shit no matter what, and normalfags vastly outnumber the rest of us.
It's just the latest version of a jack in the box that young kids can play and get scared in a "fun" way. The entire ridiculous Let's Play culture around streambait games like that isn't helping either.
A better example of some real insidious shit would be TF2/CS:GO.

I did see a downfall from February till now, but mostly from pessimistic users like us, the big one was outsiders moaning about us, back in the Freedit/Mark saga of early 2015
I may say still relevant because many of us saw the light of what we could be, maybe for a few months but still for more than a week
The common goodwill from anyone and the constant work to put out new stuff (OC if we can call it like that) was constant, too sweet to forget, hell even stuff like Superbus threads might seem a bizarre dream and far away in our current atmosphere (they kinda always were), i can say he catched us in a good mood, but i think he can still dance with the wolves, he's the only one i've seen that can make a bunch of spergs and jaded folk be organized, stop shitposting and get educated in a 300+ reply thread, like a mirror to the early days

There has been fewer sales in time comparisons, but im not gonna kid myself because your reason is the most logical/real one
But still, that factor (no games) is still inside the "wake me up" scale, how many felt for the shovelware Wii, and that sold a bunch
Generalizing Beth a little (or too much) all that seems to be PC audience problems, i know they would be console problems too if they existed (it does with Fallout for consoles) but it doesn't stop us from discussing PC has the most cancerous points these days
Because they are the biggest audience/market, i bet all those PC guys from 2008 would be begging that PC market would stay dead like they said it was if they had seen the grim future

Nah, Im ok with this, at least now there are actual games for the platform unlike the beginning of this decade.

I could be wrong it has been known to happen, but I think most of that was just ironic shitposting, much like how people pretend to be clueless marketers and get hundreds of responses.
The Wii is a special case. It was cheap, extremely accessible to non-gamers, and offered a totally unique experience. Those factors combined brought in an insane amount of sales from boomers and grandparents who had never owned a console their entire lives so they had no concept of shovelware and just bought that shit right up.

VR could share similar success with that market if they built a console around it and got the price low enough.

It dropped off fast after that happened, Sept-Dec was great.

A good bunch of it was, done to "scare" the newcomers
It kinda worked because they made tons of threads whining and calling us many things, but it was also our downfall because when you act like a retard you are bound to attract real ones, we shitposted and attracted massive shitposters and memedditors
Many did stay, and i think it's undeniable that we got ourselves a big audience because i remember we had around 90 to 150 PPH in the glory days, right now we have 500+
Unique users counts more than PPH imo, but i do not remember how many we were, still i bet we weren't more than 2500+ like these days, but i dont remember we were less than 1000. Funny because this means people post more than before, even when i remember in the early days that we posted a shitton to maintain the site alive

That's true, and it was in the birth of Web 2.0 (2006-2007) so everything combined, but still, people should've catched up by 2009 that it was trash, it sold for 2 more years
VR is a wild gamble, because it has the potential to be the new "motionmania" but the industry these days are too bizarre in decision-making, along with many users being jaded as fuck, we are not the only ones, just the vocal minority, i've seen mad as fuck people IRL but that are not so much to post on the internet
They did invade the used games scene to revive the retro/nostalgia experiences, and they made all used stuff bloat in prices, so even if they are on "our side" they ended up fucking us over AGAIN

If you're not a nigger, then I love you. No homo.

So…how is this not a brand new console? If it's so powerful, shouldn't it be a new generation? Does this make the PS4/XBone the shortest generation of all time?

VR requires 90+ fps on two camera angles. That GPU would have to be at least twice as strong as the current Xbone GPU. And I have my doubts that their weak CPU could even feed a GPU twice as strong.

Convenient, because it's in Microsoft's DNA to fail in the industry now.

the upgrades are subsidized by the cell phone company

i doubt m$ will have an upgrade program

Reminder that Halo 5 sold less than copies than Titanfall (under 3 million). Microsoft has ZERO unique IPs that can make it money, you're right about how they actually get their money though.

nichegamer.com/2016/05/26/worldwide-playstation-4-sales-exceed-40-million/
Xbone vs pS4 vs Pc

From what I can find the PS3 only sold 6,792,900 by 2008, which was three years after its launch. So the PS4 is doing better than the PS3 in the short term, but will it hit 80,000,000+ units like the PS3 did?

I realise that Microsoft has a lot of money to play around with, but how in the ass is this going to be financially viable? Producing a console every 1 or 2 years? Does microsoft expect people to shell out $400+ every year for a new console? How do they expect to not flood the market with their own hardware, especially if they intend to make everything completely backwards compatible? If this goes to shit, could we see another shareholders revolt like before the Xbone's release, with Xbox finally being spun off into its own company separate from MS?

Nobody would buy it. It's never been profitable and never will be.

If MS were able to get Windows on the Playstation they'd never would have made the Xbox in the first place. The only reason it exists is to have Windows in the living room and trap customers in their ecosystem.

Now with cheap Android sticks, Appletv boxes, roku, nvidia shield, razer forge and every television built including an OS that isn't Windows flooding the market they're absolutely fucked. This is the only course of action they can take; if they don't they'll have to compete with $100 android sticks that will have 11nm 16 core SoC running the latest games made with Vulkan by early 2018.

Oh and on top of that there's Apple, Valve, Amazon, Samsung, Sony and Google competing for the same market. Of all the major companies vying for the living room MS are in the worst position with the least to offer.

What does google offer besides the Chromecast?

Microsoft is so distant from its constumers, it's not a surprise xbox is falling apart. And the biggest failures are yet to come, with the next xbox done.

What shareholders revolt? Rick Sherlund isn't taken seriously any more because of his claims being proven full of shit as the android patents were reported correctly in Microsoft's Software revenue and Valuact lost their seat on the board soon after they got one when Ballmer left as they sold to other board members (Because they soon discovered they only had a minority stake versus people who could play much bigger hardball and a small hedge fund was always going to be BTFO at the board table with no negotiation powers at all). Xbone made profit from Day 1 despite the disparity in sales. Also, all hardware has now been put under the Windows division so Shareholders can't touch it any more anyway. Xbox had a chance of being spun off if it was still it's own division. Now it's just a subsidiary of Windows.

Making an iterative model means they just refresh every 2-3 years like Surface would and eventually go to a point like iphone where apps can't target lower models.

Xbox hueg was a sunk cost project that lost less than expected. 360 and Xbone have been profitable since 2009 in a year over year growth market.

But then people are begging and praying for MS to leave since 2001 which shows people have brand attachments to dying japanese zaibatsu's for their own emotional comfort over actual business accumen

They currently provide an OS called Android TV that's competing with Samsung's Tizen. Last year 141 million of these 'smart tv' were sold, this year it'll probably be 170 million. Soon the only monitors that won't have an OS installed on them will be computer and studio monitors.

Profitable is worthless in this context, the ROI has been a disaster that no other company would find acceptable. That's why the shareholders are complaining about seeing their money being wasted to keep a terrible brand alive instead of making more money at a faster pace in other ventures.

They spent all that time money and resources to put Windows in the living room with the Xbox and it's been an expensive failure in that aspect. Realizing that the sunk cost fallacy is real and that corporate synergy rarely works as intended doesn't seem to be the plan so they're going to continue with a dying brand.

Maybe it's because everything MS does is to extend their own Windows ecosystem? A gaming console that's just a scaled down low cost PC running Windows is pointless in the long run and not a viable strategy.