Is Who Wants to be a Millionaire just a game of luck?

Is Who Wants to be a Millionaire just a game of luck?
I mean, there's 33.34% chance of being right unless the person happen to know the answer, and lifelines can only get you so far into the game.

Let's say there are 15 questions with 4 choices each. Let's also say there are 3 lifelines: call-a-friend, 50-50, and ask-the-audience.

For each of the 15 questions, there is only 1 correct answer, and 3 incorrect answers, so immediately your chances are 1/3 = 33.34%. You can use each lifeline once. Using phone-a-friend, let's say gives you a 95% chance the person you call is correct. So 1 question is 95%. Similarly, we can say ask-the-audience gives you a 95% chance. Finally, 50-50 will remove 2 wrong answers, so you have 1 right answer and 1 wrong answer, so you basically know the answer. To recap:

Question 1: 33.34%
Question 2: 33.34%
Question 3: 33.34%
Question 4: 95% ←- ask-the-audience
Question 5: 33.34%
Question 6: 33.34%
Question 7: 33.34%
Question 8: 33.34%
Question 9: 95% ←- phone-a-friend
Question 10: 33.34%
Question 11: 33.34%
Question 12: 33.34%
Question 13: 33.34%
Question 14: 33.34%
Question 15: 100% ←- 50-50
Total: 690.08%

Divided by 15 questions = 46.00%

So basically, it's more a less a game of chance, but more than half the people on the show will lose, so it's not very fair. That show is making tons of money off of people.

you think regis sexually abused a lot of women too???

Propability doesn't work like that way.

this post is like the McDonalds of bait. not artisanal, but pretty good for its price

I'm just gonna say what everyone is thinking: The chance to guess correctly is not correct answer(s) divided by incorrect answers. It's correct answer(s) divided by total answers. Total being correct + incorrect, i.e. 4
So correct (1) out of total (4) is 1/4 = 25%, not 1/3 = 33.33…%

interdasting

The odds are much worse on jeopardy. There are 5 columns and six lines of questions, so right off the bat you have a 1 in 25 shot at picking the right one.

Fortunately you have more players in jeopardy, meaning that's 3 chances at 25%. If you add that together I get about a 75 in 10 chance of guessing correctly, however somebody else might get the money before you.

I'd take my chances with Regis, Pat Sajak is anbitch.

That's 75 in 100, I didn't carry the 10

Scott Steiner pls go

The amount of money you can win depends on lot of extra factors:

At least, in my country, the host guy always helped or tried to help the persons he found interesting/charming, but sometimes he also tried to lure them to the wrong answers or make them unsure. So first extra factor: Does the host find you amusing/attractive/etc? No: You will win less.

Then there are the lifelines. Most of the times, the 50-50 is only there to make you sure. The contestants know the answer, but either they are unsure themselves or the host makes them unsure, so they use it up. There is a very little chance that this help (here they call it "cut it in half", because it cuts out 2 answers) doesn't immediately give you the good answer. So most of the times this is either wasted or doesn't help at all.

The ask the audience usually just leads to the wrong answer, because the audience got dumber by the day. They either give you the correct answer with overwhelming score or they doesn't help at all. Same is with the call-a-friend, because they either know the answer instantly or they have no idea, and since there is so little time, they can't discuss it, and either give you a hasty, but wrong asnwer or they make you sure that what you think is the good answer is the good one, although if they don't know it and you don't know either, it's either a fluke and you've got it, or not.

tl; dr: The lifelines doesn't really help you in my opinion.

So, to me, it seems, that factors outside of yourself are only there to make you unsure or to lead you to the wrong answers. Luck and your knowledge helps, but only if you try to avoid the outside factors.

Outside of America, you can buy 2 big burgers with fries for one Big Mac ticket

not in Finland at least

Yeah, it doesn't help the nu-males bloating the numbers with their horrible management and entitled 3-way pricing
That's why you go informal with this, 5 yuros is quite a lot in these parts, generally around here, due to bad economy reasons, a burger with 2 big patties, bacon and a bag of fries costs 3.50 bucks, a Big Mac goes for 5. Back then the double baconator was 2.50
If you go hangover/weed style, you buy small portions, back in the day it was cheaper, so you got 2 small but heavily bloated burgers (due to free toppings) for 4 buckees, but nobody sells them anymore due to lost art/Mickey D's running them out of business in the early days with CIA-funded subsidized 1 dollar small burger

At least we still have 50 cent hot dogs with free topping bar, the one with bacon and marinated goods is one bucko

jesus. here the only place you can get a 50 cent hot dog is Ikea, and the only toppings are ketcup and mustard

See the bright side, you still have your freedoms and national pride
You can buy the biggest, best baconator hot dog with marinated meat, grilled onions and spiced mushrooms, and the best sauces, but we still can't get rid of the fucking immigrants, which are ironically our countrymen by law

Which reminds me, Who Wants To Be a Millionaire where millions aren't worth that much?

Once caught the South African version on a foreign station one time, calculated the top prize of 1 million rand as being worth roughly $150,000. Nowadays it's worth about half that.

Every time.

Anyway, thanks for the nostalgia, OP.

They poll people these questions as open-ended, then if there's an answer that pops up often then it's presumed a lot of the public believes that's the answer and they add it, which further muddles the answer pool.

>>>/reddit/

33.34% = 1/4 ?

But…
What the actual fuck