Ace Combat Thread

Where did things go so wrong?

What did they actually get right with this?
Also Ace Combat 7 is going to be a PS4 VR exclusive, clearly they haven't learned have they?

Other urls found in this thread:

archive.is/YcSaI
zxstudio.org/blog/2016/05/
lukestick.itch.io/wingman
buildbot.orphis.net/pcsx2/index.php
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Is it really VR exclusive?

Apparently so.
archive.is/YcSaI

i wanted to fly planes fast but instead i got qte every fucking second

They said at E3 it wouldn't but who knows what they are thinking or saying.

By not making it Ace Combat and forcing you do to DFM for everything.

Some of the songs were nice. Not as good as the previous ones though.
One thing I liked was that the computer in the jets had their native language speaking.
The Gripen has swedish, Rafale had french and so on. I liked that.

I will say one thing that ASSault Horizon had going for it, and that was it's multiplayer mode was surprisingly fun Mainly cause you weren't forced into QTE and if you were you could direct the flow of it a lot more, i.e. put them into the path of buildings for lulz

no its not… its goin to be PS4 exclusive though.

Ace Combat 7 does not require the PSVR. It is a PS4 exclusive, though.

Also, I am going to be an absolutely shameless consumer whore and play AC7 in VR. The allure of dancing with the angels with real depth-perception and a flight-stick controller is too great to ignore.

Air Combat and Ace Combat 2 are still the best games in the series. Things have been going wrong for a very long time.

???
4, 5, and 0 are the holy trinity. 6 was pretty good, too.

Only for youngfags who started gaming with gen 6. 2 is basically perfect.

I'll admit that I haven't played the first two games. I guess I'll try emulating AC2.

The problem with Assault Horizon was dogfight mode, planes somehow having health rejuvenation and the lack of challenging AI squadrons, pure and simple.

However DFM isn't a bad mechanic, its just doesn't fit Ace Combat's gameplay at all, especially when you get into the scripted DFM portions of the game where even though you lobbed over 9000 XAAMs at the enemy plane the plane is still in one piece. Now there are other flying games where I'd think DFM would be amazing, and in fact Starfox I think would use it well in all range mode and they sorta did it already in Starfox Zero with ZL lock.

Also what's with all the misinfo in the thread? AC7 is confirmed VR optional, not required, unless Sony decided to bully Bamco and Project Aces into making it VR only. We'll know more come E3 I'm sure.

Just play the 3DS version, aka Assault Horizon Legacy here in the US. The name is a total misnomer, as the game released near Assault Horizon's release and they wanted name recognition to be attached to it.

Actually, as much as I loathe the idea of shelling out the $400 or whatever for VR, I really want to try it out, especially if it works well. I'll probably wait and see if there's awful reviews or if there's some kind of bundle for a cheaper price.

Threadly reminder that Open Horizon exists: zxstudio.org/blog/2016/05/

Fucked up by posting too fast.

According to the article, but it can mean anything.

Then again
It's probably them just being shit.

You say that as if the QTEs made any difference

Wrong thread, motherfucker.

I think that's just marketer speak for "only the PS4 VR headset will be compatible with this game and no other head set will work". Marketers love saying "exclusive" where it doesn't make sense.

It does not require VR, someone from Project Aces went on record saying this shortly after it was announced. Stop spreading bad info.

Could be neat, but all I see people doing is making HD fan remakes of AC4/5/0 instead of more interesting things like fixing DFM to make it more skill based while retaining some sort of "cinematics" to it.

I was looking around the indies for games similar to Ace Combat on PC and found two promising things, Sky Rogue and Vector Thrust. Has anyone played either?

Totally unpopular opinion that Zero is the best track in the entire series.

it looked cool
it didn't play cool

I'm not spreading mis-info, I'm simply telling you were some people in this thread might think it's true based on the wording on the article.

Both are early access and are in dev, but they do look promising. I'm actually more interested in what this guy is doing, though.

lukestick.itch.io/wingman

OK.

i didnt think games about modern aircraft could ever do cuhrayzee

and then it went and did it. Say what you want about it as an ace combat game, but its so frantic and flashy it ends up feeling like a character action game with jets.

Zero ties for me with Agnus Dei and The Unsung War.

To be fair, that's what I see the most of what people want. I personally don't want DFM at all, but I'll take the rendering engine and assets of ACAH and have a regular, albeit rehashed, Ace Combat experience.

No, this is the right thread. 2 isn't leaps and bounds above the rest, and 1 is ass by comparison. The depth of field in that game and the HUD are awful. The only thing that redeems it is the same with every game: the planes control fine. But that means it's worse than the other games, not better.

Sky Rogue lacks some content but it's a near perfect clone in controls. Lotta fun, worth $10 to me. Vector Thrust has a lot more content, but something about the controls and the fact that you have to abuse chaff/flares to get away from missiles and the enemy does the same all the time really makes some fights drag out. I don't have a flightstick, so I dunno if it would be a better experience with that and being able to gun them down instead. I haven't touched it since it left Early Access.

That doesn't mean what you think it means. Depth of field is the "focusing" effect of a camera. You're talking about draw distance.

You say that as if previous Ace Combats weren't as cuhrayzee. I get your point, the DFM and counter-maneuver DFM thing really tried to make it flashy and cinematic, especially with the "da planes bleed oil!" stuff they pulled, but earlier Ace Combats were just as cuhrazy, if not more so because you didn't have to rely on scripted flying or manuvers.

Ace combat 6 looked much more cuhrazee as a result of Namco using the tech to absolutely fill the skies with contrails, jets and missiles. You dive in to AC 6 and you are immediately bombarded with planes whizzing by at top speed and missiles even faster, AA guns that litter the skies with flak and explosions. Sure it lacks the whole PLANES BELLED OIL and planes disintegrating gimmick, but AC 6, with contrails all over the place and explosions abound, feels a lot more cuhrazee.

Fuck, that's closer to what I meant. Also depth in general. 1 is very flat looking.

Imagine how shit the jousting in Zero would have been if it used DFM to make it "cinematic".

dude come on.

Ace Combat 6 is honestly the current pinnacle of the series when it comes to graphics, aside from the weird grey-green filter look the entire game seems to have. However since Ace Combat 7 is using Unreal Engine 4 and the trueSky SDK 7 will have a lot more clouds and cloud like effects and Project Aces has improved with ground object modelling and textures so even the ground will look better.

Too bad 6 is so short, Xbox 360 exclusive, and is kinda lame because of how missions flow.

AC7 is the only reason I still have the BB machine. As well as GE.

How fucked was X1 for Ipod? Just out of general curiosity. Is X2 even worth playing?

Can people even still play X2? I thought they took it down from the App Store.

go dance with the angels
go dance with the angels
go dance with the angels
go dance with the angels
go dance with the angels
go dance with the angels
go dance with the angels
go dance with the angels
go dance with the angels

Never played Ass horizon because of how bad the QTE and CINEMATIC bullshit looked like, would rather just keep it at Zero as a high note. Should I say fuck it and play Ass Horizon?

Only if you can go in knowing it won't be as strong as the other games.

If you want to experience a trainwreck (or idolmaster planes) then sure.
You wont miss anything if you skip it.

It's okay. Not good, but not bad either. Worth it if you get bored and want to squander away the time.

why did you have to remind me of that stupid line

holy shit guys, you realize that ace combat doesnt need to be cuhrayzee to be good, right?
I think youre misunderstanding why assault horizon pulls it off, and it has nothing to do with the rest of the series

Its okay, seriously, ace combat is already a high point for arcade/action flight games, it gets that credit, it doesnt have to also dip into a genre it doesnt really belong in.

all the stuff you talk about from 6 is in AH, but AH also has the benefit of DFM which turns the game into what could, mechanically, be made into a character action game and nobody would know the difference.

and they will never port to windows, because why make money?

I got it for 5 bucks, wasnt a bad deal, though the gimmick got old pretty quickly, and there are some really REALLY shit alt missions in the game, specifically the helo section.

My question is what new aircraft they'll put into the game. They practically have covered most 4th gen fighters from most major nations and most 5th gen fighters in production and development. Are they going to be crazy and put in more stuff from the 3rd gen or even 2nd gen? What about the current Chinese fighter aircraft? Will they ever be put in the games or is that just a political can of worms that a Japanese company doesn't want to open up? What about stuff like India's HAL Tejas? What about more non-US or Russian cancelled 4th gen aircraft, like Argentina's FMA SAIA 90 or Israeli's IAI Lavi, or the Yugoslav Novi Avion, or Polans weird Macross fighter looking PZL-230?

F-35 never ever. :^)

;_;

kek

But the F-35 has been in the games since 5? Hell Infinity has the A and B variants, the A is a fighter, the B is a multirole, and the C was in AC5, 0, and other games.

I meant IRL. The project is a shitshow.

I know, the Muhreens and their boners for VTOL aircraft hurt the project a lot, and then on top of that it's Cockheed Shartin's baby.

The Brits built a couple aircraft carriers designed to work with F-35s (I think the C model?). It's both amusing and sad to imagine the plane never taking off heh and the Brits just having two very expensive troop transports.

The Queen Elizabeth class project was actually completely fucked up because of the F-35. The Brits originally intended to purchase the F-35B, the S/VTOL, and planned the carriers to support that, having slightly longer runways and a ski jump configuration. However in 2010 they changed their mind and started considering the F-35C, the standard carrier variant with foldable wings, larger control surfaces, tailhook, etc., which meant their carriers needed a Catapult Assisted Take Off Barrier Arrested Recovery configuration, much like the US's contemporary carriers. However as the project went on the estimates for doing a CATOBAR carrier skyrocketed and so the Brits backed down and reverted back to the F-35B and short take-off and vertical landing configuration for the carriers.

I knew they changed their mind on the variant, but I didn't know they did it twice. What a waste.
I do think it's smart for them to establish a real carrier fleet, though.

Royal Navy have gotten to the stage they are considering the Rafale over the F-35 for their carriers. That sentence alone should some up how badly the F-35 has fucked up.

At least you can fly the Viggen in N-Gen Racing, a little known game made by ex-Psygnosis devs.
Too bad it isn't Ace Combat but you can shoot other planes down, if that is of any consolation.

I don't think things really went all that wrong. Up until AH, the series had become incredibly stale from a mechanics point of view. Every game right from the first played in basically the same way. DFM was an interesting experiment. While it was poorly balanced in single player and forced down players throats through what I like to call "rollercoaster rides" in many missions, the system really shines in multiplayer where the element of risk vs reward can actually come into play.

I only hope the amount of vitriol thrown at AH by close-minded fans doesn't deter the development team from trying out new game systems that can take the concept of flying cool planes carrying irresponsible amounts of missiles in new directions.

I think I get your point, but for me, it's never been stale. Not to mention the nice additions of a squad in 5, wingmate in 0 and the Style gauge, and 6's reinforcements. They might not all directly impact how you control the plane, but in someways, they affect how you play, similar to choosing your mission order in ACX. Speaking of which, I really hope another game does that.

To me*

Ah fuck, I posted properly the first time. Brain work shit.

This. The DFM mode was shit in SP but actually great in MP since you could control it a lot more and often it was actually risky to use.

HELLO DARKNESS MY OLD FRIEND

Yes because push button to get on the tail of the enemy is such a great gameplay mechanic.

Nah fuck you, your shit's all retarded.

Yes because push button to get on the tail of the enemy is such a great gameplay mechanic.

Nah fuck you, your shit's all retarded.

I'd also like to remind you that even the guy who is currently fixing tons of shit in PCSX2 has said that he probably won't be able to fix AC games for a long time so until then SW mode only.

As you've said, all those additional mechanics have little to nothing to do with the most fundamental way the player interacts with the game: Flying the plane, acquiring targets, shooting them down, and dodging missiles. I can't recall if the wingmen ever had any significant effect on my gameplay. They seemed to mostly function as window dressing.

I'll bring up the F-zero series to further illustrate the point. The series' core concept is about futuristic high speed racing. Yet each of the three main games (Original, X, GX) play in manners very distinct from each other, from the vehicle handling to track design. I still play them from time to time and enjoy their unique takes on the same concept.

The same can't be said of Ace Combat. Up until AH, each entry is mostly distinguished by changes in it's presentation (Graphics, Sound, Music, Story …etc). AH was a serious and necessary breath of fresh air, despite its flaws.

Counter maneuvers are not a one button win. It's possible to anticipate when someone is about to backflip on you and shoot them down mid maneuver.

AH really is blasted more for it's campaign than anything else.

Which are the different missions.
I don't know about you, but I prefer a consistent experience, which given that there are many games on the same console, is not surprising. All the F-Zero games have been one on each console with different hardware/processing ability, so I'm less surprised that the handling is different and the tracks are more complex as you get newer and newer games.
It's like saying musou games should all feel different and have extra features that make part of the old gameplay useless. I've never played multiplayer, so I can't comment on it's effectiveness there, but it seems like it's just a shortcut to follow someone, which you could do already, so why put in extra mechanics for it?

I will say it's pretty annoying to play 'Ace Combat' and the second mission in is a bad rail shooter, combined with the fact that the QTEs do almost nothing and characters that I don't really care about, though that last one is far more subjective. And the fact that planes take somewhere around 4-6 missiles to go down rather than the usual 2-3. At least, that's the biggest thing I remember.

I can be an asshole too.

No, it just means you're an illiterate retard. Please read the entire thread.

Say no more, fam

2 is pretty good, I played through it a few weeks ago having already completed the PS2 trilogy. It's a legit first game for those wanting to get into the series.

Dat 30fps tho, it always felt a little sluggish.

>Grimm: "Captain…Did I ever tell you what my favorite color is?"

I'M TRYING TO COMPLETE THE FUCKING MISSION DAMMIT AND YOU EXPECT ME TO MOVE MY THUMB FROM THE STICK TO THE D-PAD TO ANSWER YOUR INANE QUESTIONS FUCK YOOOOUUUUUUUUUUU

>Edge "Blaze what do you think of the arkbird?"

Talkan
Auto flyan
Zoom inyan

>Archer: "The Arkbird was a symbol of hope and peace for Captain Nagase."
>Swordsman: "And now she must shoot it down…"
>Nagase: "Alright, it's time to shoot down the Arkbird!"

How do I into emulating Ace Combat 04?

>still get constant slowdowns
I haven't tested it, but you can try also enabling frameskip to get it running at full speed.

GOTTA STAY FLY GOTTA STAY STRONG

WE BE ACE READY ALL DAY LONG

First time ever playing an Ace Combat game or a flight simulator, currently playing Unsung War, and I never thought that air combat simulators can be this fun and endearing.

5 is pretty comfy, probably the comfiest in the series thanks to the lower AI and team chatter. Zero isn't quite as comfy but has way better AI, and 4 is even less comfy but still a neat story and good gameplay.

4 has the best pure, arcade style, gameplay, 5 nails the feeling of being an ace pilot the best, has the best story, and has more varied missions, and Zero is kind of like mix between the two, only it gives you more freedom over what missions you play and how you achieve your objectives.

Also, did anyone notice a lot more slowdown in Zero than in 4 and 5?

I'd like to make an argument for infinity I believe that it actually has the best base gameplay in the series but has been stuck with the unfortunate fate of being f2p with a mobbage "stamina" system
Also it manages to make some missions, rare as they pop up more bat shit insane then their previous title counter parts

I am trying to play Ace Combat 04 on PCSX2. Can someone post the pic with the recommended settings I should use?

Post specs

I have no idea how or why you would ruin the series with Assault Horizon. The series achieved PERFECTION with Zero in regards to gameplay and control. The fact that AH is the only AC on PC makes me extra butthurt.

i5 4690k
r9 270x
8GB RAM
latest drivers, latest version of emulator, etc.

Should be good.

No MTVU hack because this game just slows down even more with it

No Edge AA because it makes part of the HUD blink and you don't really want that.

External view, the pre-title screen cutscene and viewing some planes in the hangar are the only places you should experience slowdowns

Which GSDX plugin are you using? Mine is avx2 and even when I choose GSDX11 the banner shows GSDX10. The options are largely the same, though. Is there a newer plugin revision I can get form elsewhere that wasn't bundled with the emulator?

I believe I can fly

Fuck Infinity. Only way to make the game not shit is to remove all of the f2p elements, then just maybe it might be decent.

Ace Combat is not a simulator in any way, shape or form. I couldn't be any farther from a flight simulator, user.

That's because you probably use the latest stable while I use the latest nightly, doesn't make any difference for AC in general so don't bother if you don't want to get another version
buildbot.orphis.net/pcsx2/index.php

The AVX2 plugin is what you should be using because it's the fastest for software mode and only newer intel CPU support it.

Don't know if this is still valid.

Shrek aside, what are the odds that the final sortie in AC 7 will be that amazing?

I wish Argentina would upgrade their military. A new Falklands war would be hilarious.

I- is it good?

Very slight.

That's about 3 years old by now so not really, most of the settings shown are shit that are like that by default, and it also assumes you're ok with eye cancer-tier graphic corruption everywhere.

Sure, it's actually pretty good. AC2 modernized with fancy graphics and the AC0/AC6 mechanics.

Nigger you better be a Yuropoor or Strayan because there's no fucking excuse for taking a train ride across the US unless you're so poor that you can't afford to have a DS.

Yuropoor reporting in. I already picked up pic related, and I don't regret it at all. Maybe the 3DS has more good games than I gave it credit for.