Why do I always get lost in Doom? Is there a compass mod for zdoom that shows the location of keys, doors...

Why do I always get lost in Doom? Is there a compass mod for zdoom that shows the location of keys, doors, and level end, Holla Forums? Like the compass in Fallout 3 and Skyrim.

Same

And pinpoint on map too.

Just use cheats. Best way to play fam.

If you get lost in doom my god, never play Ethernal Doom.

I genuinely dislike the labyrinthine design of Doom levels.
I get easily lost and eventually spend 10 minutes wandering around the level either looking for a switch or trying to figure out what pressing that elusive switch actually did.

Are we being raides?

but he is still best husbando

the thing about doom is that the levels are made for exploration, so you need to move around alot. press tab to see automap.
if you just want to find the keys look up the maps on the internet
i know this may be bait but i just wanna help

Do you doubt its bait?

Same tbh.

The automap sucks. I can barely see shit. Maybe if there was a pinpoint on what door I should enter it would be easier.

No. For God's sake, no.

These games have pinpoints on the locations of each objectives. I want Doom to have this too.

My problem is that I'm dense.
I always miss a switch placed in plain sight then spend twenty minutes running around the map trying to figure out what I'm supposed to be doing.

This whole thread is baka desu senpai

What is a casual filter?

This is why we are in a world of shit.

Sorry there, little guy. Maybe you should try DOOM™ from id software® and Bethesda Softworks®! It's a much more fluid experience™, and will be much more your speed.

No need to thank me, fellow Holla Forums user!

Can't you be helpful for once, Holla Forums?

if my childhood self can figure out doom, you can too, you retard.

I might be misremembering, but isn't there an option in zdoom or gzdoom to always have the map and key locations revealed? For switches, you could try altering settings to improve clarity. For example, making sure your resolution is set as high as it can be for your monitor. Setting texture filtering to "none (mipmaps on)" can help by making things slightly more pixelated but more distinct. Trying a high res texture pack could help also.

And to be fair, there are a couple spots I got stuck in in doom 2. There's a map near the end where to progress you needed to walk into a crack in the wall that looks like you shouldn't be able to fit. Not only that, it looks like you would be walking into a pit of lava. For some reason, the lava doesn't damage you in this area, though.

Really? Thanks fam, I'll check that.

Yes, you can adjust the automap to display just about everything.

Sorry, but where can I find that option? I'm using v 2.2.0.748

OP is a woman. It explains how she's so inept at navigation and becomes helpless when she doesn't have a big arrow on the screen telling her what to do. Imagine if she tried La-Mulana.

By the way, does the new Doom even have level structure that encourages exploration in it? Does it even have secret rooms to access that give you more useful rewards than dolls (like backpacks and early weapons)?

Just use the fucking top down map if you are stuck.At least this isnt a Doomed thread

I think it has its own menu under Options. Speaking for GZ Doom that is.

Kinda. There are less secrets, but they have nicer rewards.

OP, if you wanted me to post this video, you should have asked

I'm glad he managed to undelete it after he accidentally deleted it

For the map thing, go to options, then auto map options. For the texture thing, go to options, display options, OpenGL options, texture options, and change texture filter mode to none(nearest mipmaps). The OpenGL menu is only in gzdoom, since zdoom uses software rendering only.

Also, I would say only use the auto map option if you get completely stuck, since exploration is a big part of doom's gameplay.

8/10 pretty good bait

Nevermind, I found a way to get around that with console commands.

When I've got all guns, it feels like exploration is pointless.

Just collect the keycards you… you……

DOUBLE NIGGER

There's some satisfaction in combing over the entire map.

Not really.

Then play another game, fam.

Seconded, you may be more at home with twin stick shooters, which are also great.

I only have the motivation explore the entire map in RPG games that have lots of useful items.

Never touched a console.

Uh…

There are also ones on PC with mouse and keyboard.

One more thing that helps a little with avoiding getting lost is to remember that the doom engine has the "room over room" limitation. Due to how the engine works, there can never be a room directly above or below you. Even though there are elevation differences, think of the level design as being "flat". It sounds strange, but it makes more sense after playing enough.

You can use a gamepad on pc, you know this right?

OP, this is one of those cases where the only possible advice that would seriously benefit you is: git gud.

Because fucks like you are the reason most modern shooters are linear as all fuck.

It honestly is possible. I've noticed an increase in retardation over the past few days.

Either that or summer.

What about early 2000's shooters though? Not too linear, but there is a clear path to be followed. Why can't they stay being like that.

I've been frequenting chans since 2010, but very rarely Holla Forums.

okay i'll bite, a clear path is boring and not challenging, The only reason most people play games is for the challenge, if you take the challenge away from the game you loose the core audience,Which will be replaced by casuals,Than the casuals will move on to the next trend, While the hardcore audience will be reluctant to come back.

Daily reminder that devs like nu-id unironcially think they are actually making old-school games. When the casuals leave, the devs wont ever know how to make a good game until a Holla Forumsirgin get into the industry after the casuals leave.

And its lose. Not loose. God fucking damn it why do people keep spelling it like that.

There's not nearly enough RanmaxRyoga doujin unfortunately

Just out of curiosity, how far are you into the game? I could see some maps like e1m7 or e2m2 being a little tricky for new players.

While it sounds like a troll answer, git gud is still good advice. The level design might seem confusing right now, but it gets easier with practice. I think the reason people new to doom have trouble at first is that simplified level design in modern games causes spatial reasoning skills to atrophy somewhat. I got lost a lot at first, but with time I got used to older fps level design again.

E1M4 in Doom II since I began replaying it. It's good so far on UV, but I feel like it can be harder.

Because we have a massive influx of retards on Holla Forums for some reason. I think it's either because of summer or someone is raiding us.

ITT: d44mfags discover classic shooters