Dungeon Management/ God Simulator Games

Is that genre dead? And no, the unholy abomination that EA recently vomited out from the darkest depths of the pit does NOT fucking count.

The way I see it, the Dungeons doesn't capture the idea of the original DK games, War for the Overworld does capture the original idea but is (at least from what I saw a few years ago) buggy to hell and back, and Impire failed on both fronts.

What do (other than replaying DK I / II) ?

Other urls found in this thread:

archive.is/8aBPZ
archive.is/9MntE
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Oh come on. I had some fun with From Dust, but it can't be the single good God Game that came out in the last decade, can it?

Dwarf Fortress

Dungeons 2 is a huge improvement over the original, check it out.

Do you still have to suck the dicks of the heroes, or do you actually get to the whack them right and proper this time?

You can slap them around all you want.

Overworld failed because the developers wanted to balance it around fucking multiplayer. You can dig up an interview with the main guy involved and he says he played hundreds of hours of PvP in DK1 and that's why he wanted to make the new game. It's also why the SP campaign was really just a glorified tutorial.

DK was a game about making a comfy dungeon, attempts to balance it around PvP fuck it up.

Where do these retards even come from?

How difficult can it be to make DK with prettier graphics?

KeeperKlan.

Remember: Every game, no matter how old, remains its own small group of people who will autistically play the MP until their own death and, as a result, get obscenely good at it.

Unfortunately, it also leads to tunnel vision, kinda like with speedrunners.

They also built it in fucking Unity and blamed that for the lack of modability.

This. The team was actually the perfect type of autist to make a DK sequel they just needed someone sane in charge (preferably not a programmer) to focus them.

By the way, someone is working on an open source implementation of DK2.

I disagree.

Here's one of the articles:

archive.is/8aBPZ
archive.is/9MntE

The second page (second link) has most of the interesting parts but here's some quotes from both:

"Young, thin, bespectacled, dressed in a Reddit t-shirt with a now-month-old Rezzed wristband and a first edition Pebble watch on one wrist"

"“The entire existence of the team and the project formulated on a Dungeon Keeper fansite,” he tells me in the cavernous kitchen of the enormous Brighton house which seven Subterranean staff (and a few partners) now both live and work in."

"However, Bishop and his team weren’t mega-fans to the point of believing either existent Dungeon Keeper was perfect as-was. They’ve made changes – some of which they devised many years ago – and not everyone’s happy about it. “There are people who say ‘why isn’t the Mistress a scantily-clad woman?’ Why is there no Horned Reaper in your game? Why is mana different, why do doors work like they do?"

"The lesser-loved sequel is, however, the main inspiration for War for the Overworld. “A lot of people disagree but in my opinion 2 was a much more complete game than the first one was, but it obviously had big flaws. The biggest flaws, from a game design perspective, was the general lack of pacing and choice in the game, especially when it came to multiplayer.” "

"but Bishop’s primary interest is multiplayer, which DK2 is better set up for. "

"Whenever Bishop mentions a change or new feature, it’s in terms of its effect on multiplayer."

"which are the result at attempts to address Bishop’s key criticism of DK2. “You went in and you had everything except all your spells, which you got given in a linear order. Basically there was one winning strategy, which was get a combat pit, get Dark Knights and level your Dark Knights up and then go and kill the enemy. And that was all you could do.” "

"With this in mind there’s an overhauled mana system which prevents any one player from becoming a magical god once the enemy’s on their territory, doors which prevent both foe and friend from passing through if locked, and a non-linear research system which effectively sees you making a tech tree of your own rather than climbing a fixed ladder. “One of the big driving desires with this was to bring some level of strategy and choice and pacing into all modes. That was one of the biggest things which was lacking.” "

Read between the lines and you'll see that the game's problems all come from that MP focus.

Nice.

What, the new Dungeon Keeper by EA doesn't count?

isnt there a dungeon keeper lewd weeb game where you rape the good gals into submission?

You realize the worst directors are artists right?

Worst directors are Jews.

Yes but I forgot its name.

Designers are shit directors yes.

Programmers are also poor directors.

You need someone halfway between programmer and 'normal'.

What you really need is a businessmen

t. Inafune

If you're already a god, what's the point of building a dungeon?
Why aren't there more games where you do that sort of thing as a mostly normal ass villain in pursuit of such power?

This is really fucking sad. DK can't possibly be fun in multiplayer, it's all about a God tier single player experience.

Maybe one day the developer will see the error of his ways and focus some time on SP content.

I'M HORNY

bump

There have been a few indieshit 2D DK wannabes recently, forgot about it to the point I forget which one I purchased on a fluke. I'll always mention pic related.

BROOOOOOOOOOOTHER!
It's been ages since I played that game, but you just made me want to reinstall and take it for a spin. Really is a fun unique things, just dont let your slugs relax in their rooms until their fucking organs give out, the fat fucks.

Been playing through Dungeon Keeper myself recently and I really feel like this game doesn't reward skill properly. Most levels are just an exercise in trial-and-error (the error usually resulting in unrecoverable game over) until you've accumulated the proper foreknowledge to replay them the right way. I honestly think it's a pretty half-assed game at the end of the day.

Try Deeper Dungeons, it should really give you a challange.

But that's practically the same, except that the all-ending error is easier to run into.

I'm about to be finished with all the Deeper Dungeons levels actually. Those actually tend to be worse levels because in most of them they remove the All-Seeing Eye spell so you can't even scout anything until it bites you in the ass and forces you to restart.

ok..

any weeb dungeon management game out there?

There's an early access game called KeeperRL, I've only played about an hour of it, but it seems alright.

But yeah, for the most part the genre is dead.

Are there any mods for Startopia? Preferably one that fixes the Gem Slug bugs?

Also, I wish the multiplayer in Startopia was a bit more unique. The same map every game gets a bit stale. I liked Dungeon Keeper where every map was unique.