Melee Combat

Any games out there with a less "romantic" take on armour?

Granted, a bit of realism doesn't mean there can't be some liberties to take, but anything with a shitload of belts and spikes all over the place simply doesn't belong, in my opinion. If anything, reality offers some better designs than the usual wacky shit, with how melee combat was very experimental, back then, in the age of metal.

Other urls found in this thread:

gamersyde.com/hqstream_halo_the_master_chief_collection_gameplay_1-34751_en.html
news.xbox.com/2016/05/19/forging-ahead-the-halo-forge-experience-comes-to-windows-10-pc/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

not true 100%

the input systems of a vidya is much more limited than real life inputs

this limitations of controls inputs but the designer in a wired limbo where he have to maximize realism/design-necessities

so you will never achieve maximum realism instead you will have an imitation of it

+sorry for my bad english

put*

I'm talking about reality, as in our reality.

Hence, that's why I posted those images. I was not speaking of realism, when I said that.

Dragon's Dogma has a good range of grounded armours and weapons. Souls series as well. Skyrim with mods.

^
bait
don't give him {you}'s

???
what ??
sorry but i don't understand you
can you elaborate plz ?

The Witcher 3 arms and armour are still the best I've seen. They are varied and interesting without being stupid.

That said, they're not very iconic, and I think "standing out" is a big part of creating an identity around your game and the community.

Dwarf Fortress, though you can't really enjoy the aesthetics of the armour, and unless you use a mod you just get caps and helmets, not sallets and all the different styles.

Functionality is objectively the highest form of aesthetics.

I mean that in reality, during the medieval age, we experimented with melee combat in very interesting ways.

I'm not talking about interpreting reality in that sentence, but how we made some designs that people would hardly think were ever real, in the first place, and that needs recognition.

Street fighting

mount and blade, of course.

Pretty much this, nothing in the Witcher designs is so interesting it's memorable in a good way or so bad it's memorable for being awful, it's just kind of… there.

Which is, if you ask me, the fate of all plausible realism. I can't think of any game character outfits/designs that I really like that aren't at least somewhat outlandish and flashy. That's not to say that all wacky and highly unrealistic outfits are good by any means, though, just that they cover both extremes. Practical realism tends to hover more consistently in the mediocre and forgettable middle.

Except there are plenty of real flashy designs, a few of which I posted in the OP.

Engravings, or even rather tempting experimental equipment makes for far more interesting gameplay than spiky, belted armour.

Mount and Blade: Warband is really nice for this sort of thing, as is Chivalry: Medieval Warfare. The only problem with these is that the former's multiplayer is pretty dead, and the latter's combat is based on tracers instead of momentum.

Armored Core is realistic in designing it's armor. I mean, it's right in the name.

Shitty edgy 14 year old anime designs make me drop a game instantly, hate that trash.

Standing out is for idiots and special snowflakes.

Exanima is the closest you can get, really

This is probably the best bet, you can even layer armour, i.e. gambeson -> chain -> padded coat -> plate (and then be slowed down quite noticeably).

"Michelin men have adapted to the harsh environment of undead-infested dungeons by growing a thick metallic carapace over their rubbery folds."

Putting mail over neck of plate was done in history. Not often, but it was done.

Indeed. It gets even worse, when the other usual tropes of such a game come into play, like your mission being a request you cannot turn down, best girl not being the one you go with, "if you kill him you'll be just as bad", etc.

Nice. I'll check that out, for sure.

M80, I bet you don't even halfsword. That suit's legitimate as fuck.

Not sure if you are implying that your image is a halfsword, but if you are, that's a mordhau user.

I've recently heard that european medieval swords where made to brake bones and have never been sharp. Is this true?

Also I fucking love armors (medieval or not) with a fur collar, this shit is classy.

no
if you want to beak bones and knock ppl down you use maces

swords all around the world have two primary function thrusting and slashing
if anything European preferred to thrusting swords over slashing swords

Arming sword is a sidearm, no one used them for actual combat as a main weapon until firearms rolled around.
But that pile of shit you just wrote is exactly what it sounds like - pile of shit.

No shit, that ain't halfswording. Just posting some Renaissance titties. To pass the time.

People sometimes asked to be beheaded via sword, not axe, because swords were generally sharper and could behead you in one swing rather than two.

No. A katana is slightly sharper due to the steel it uses for the "core" of the blade, but that's it. It's also extremely vulnerable compared to a European sword, which can almost bend 90 degrees and spring back into shape. On top of that katanas are 2 handed weapons yet shorter than a lot of 1h European weapons, have a shitty guard, and weigh a lot for what they are.

Katanas are meme weapons, even the samurais knew how useless it was and used polearms and bows in battle, while the katana was a status symbol, for duels, and for cutting down unarmed peasants.

Why is he holding his sword like that? He'll cut his hands the fool.

Also yes I did notice you didn't mention katanas but when "European swords were dull iron bars" is uttered, I've been around long enough to know where it originated.

Speaking of which, this is what katana tried to be and failed miraculously

It's a sword-fighting style.

No he won't. It's not like he's gripping it with his bare hands or anything.

Straya Bandit's armor tbh. Dirty, ugly, and rusty, but sturdy and effective.

Speaking of modern, WW1 armour looks retarded at points.

That is some sexy ass sword.

Technically it's a kitchen knife, hence why they got popular since you couldn't carry a regular sword into town.

Wasn't that the messer?

Looks autistic tbh. I loathe fucking japs and their silly french transformers ripoffs.

It always makes me really sad when I see people drop their food or drink, I don't know why

They're the most well designed power armors I've ever seen. Probably even better than Robocop. Looks efficient and menacing at the same time.

There are so many retarded things bethesda has actually done but you'd rather make up fake issues to whine about instead?

Two of those are Interplay designs. Another two are Interplay designs being snowflake-ified by Bethesda.

Technically, those designs are literal cancer, considering the retard they got to create these had cancer, himself.

I'm am actually embarrassed for you.

He's still got two bottles, mate. Don't worry.

In FO3, maybe. But they look drastically different in FO4.

No, that's exactly what they are.

It looks much less bulky. If you're talking about the basic ideas like the helmet shape and rounded integrated pauldron, well no shit they're the same armor.

Well at least I can take solace in the fact that I'm still not an idiot like you.

Get fucked, Adamowicz was a great artist.

Ok I fucked up the first one is from Ray Lederer, fuck, meant to post this.

Ray's also a fucking beast by the way.

What an extremely visionary artist.

Fifteen cents have been distributed into your account.

It's the mail coif. it covers the head and go as low as the shoulder to guarantee stability as well as protecting the neck without a neck guard, the reason as to why it was preferred over a dedicated plate neck guard is that the guard smiting technique arrived fairly late in medieval warfare and that a plate bit covvering your neck fasten to the shoulder really make it harder to raise your arm, something rather important for fighting with most weapons.

Then again most of the second part are theories put together by medieval historian who aren't exactly the most reliable source when it comes to medieval warfare.

I get payed way more than that to shill Bethesda's games on your boards, but yeah, you got it ;)

Mail coif attaches to a helmet or is a part of it, so since she's not wearing one your theory doesn't make sense

Not with grammar like that.

Tell me then. Tell me what's wrong with the armour. Because all you've done is go >snowflake, >bethesda and called anyone who said the armour is fine a shill. Tell me why the armour isn't applicable to OP's question.

I'm waiting.

They are worn underneath it, separate from it, for the most part.

Get it?
Because no romance
No romance because no Roman influence
Because no Romans

Get it?
GET IT?

It's like a hood, you can see it on her back.

If that's the case then there is still no reason why would it be adove the plate.

When wearing plate (at least from the time that sort of plate was used) you want several layers of armour under the plate

And if you're feeling fancy and old timey you could have a crest coat over it.

From a realistic standpoint any sort of powerarmour that isn't light is retarded since higher calibre weapons and explosives will wreck your shit regardless how much metal you slap onto it. That grenade doesn't need to break through your chestplate, just transfer enough force to turn your organs into mush.

That said Fallout PAs are pretty nice as far as PAs go.

Stop arguing with the autist.

Post more armors.

Shits on the original designs with HUEG FETE, and the designs added by the cancerous pole are pale, in comparison to the proper designs of the original games.

hopefully melee games will have a "before and after" Deliverancy

this crap with swords made out woods boinking each other until the "health pool" reachs zero has to fucking die already

Never played Fallout so I don't really know about the technology of the game, but the bulkiness doesn't seem odd to me, since in the 50s they didn't have computers to calculate the perfect ration of resistance/thickness of the metal like we can nowadays. That's why the machines made since the Industrial Revolution until the 60s where fuckhuge, it's because they had to rely on mass rather than shape to have solidity. Same goes for the cars and buildings at the time.

my bad, was thinking of an aventail

Ok you can do the experience yourself with little to no effort, I assume you wash from time to time, go grab a large towel, put it like the little red ridding hood, keep it tight around your head, especially the neck to avoid it opening and then, assuming you wear clothing as well, put on a tee shirt above the towel hood you made, try to move your neck form side to side, notice how it just got way fucking harder due to the towel being stucked tight between your body and the shirt, imagine that but way harder due to it being metal, do the same with the lower part of the hood above your shirt, notice the improvement. As it happen when you have a helmet that obscure 40% of your peripheral vision moving your neck is a wee bit important

An actual battle tested layering would be as follow : for the torso and head: a layer of cloth, a layer of padded cloth or cloth reinforced by leather, a layer of chain mail, a layer of plate, what you don't understand is that in practice you wear a padded cloth hat, the mail coif and then the helmet above it. You already have the body covered by a separate piece of chainmail.

Doesn't matter when it's powered by fucking nuclear. You also need to fit a lot of stuff inside and support the huge reactor backpack.

The cables and pipes I guess? Well I a kind of agree for the overdesigned T60, but they're cast metal and pretty well covered, except for the helmet, but how else are you going to breath in a detachable helmet? Hell, Robocop has a long ass exposed hydraulic on his feet.

Where?

But they weren't even trying.

Less bulk = less weight = needs less power to move = reactor can be smaller. Not to mention unless the nuclear reactor allows it to phase through solid matter, bulkier means less mobility/speed and a massive pain in non-open environments.

Those, also most joints have retardedly wide gaps which are both weaker and shot traps (and anything traps, when a bomb goes off and bits of steel and concrete fall over you and get stuck in there it's going to be a big issue). You can just look at medieval armours to see how small the gaps are kept there, and how generally better designed they are to not offer massive holes.

See above, also that the armour is offering a lot of flat surfaces to the enemy. We've known about sloped armour since WW2, and that angled surfaces tend to make blows slide off since… well since we started swinging stuff at eachother millennia ago.

Of course, that compares nothing to the fucking boxes that cancer patient made up. Real improvement.

The classic laser weapons always looked better imo

Oh no it can't. They need a lot of pipes for the plasma to come through. The small nuclear batteries you find in the game are nuclear cells, not nuclear reactors.

But you can't even see the servomotors, it's enough protection. Medieval armors have that joint shield, but they're less bulky to begin with so there's still room for movement.

The T60 sure has a lot of traps, but I can't see an unnecessary trap on the other armors.

Well, the X01 is the most advanced, and it's also the most rounded and huge. They sacrificed size for making a rounded shape.

The plasma weapons sure do look retarded and overdesigned, but the laser ones look pretty good.

Well, I do love the simplicity of cheap designs, but that pic you posted is just PSG1 with machine gun fins, cables, and paintwork. You can be simple, but creativity is still necessary. PSG1 with two strings of cables is not creative.

They're boring, ugly, over-designed and lack ergonomics
There are tons of Jap designs that blow it out of the water no matter how you approach it.

Also:

They're not overdesigned. Compact fusion reactors do need a shitload of pipes to work. Plus, the lack of computer interface for graphic design in Fallout universe means that it's harder to create a perfectly ergonomic design.

And they canonically only had 12 years of development (2065-2077).

Anyone who wants anything for the sake of realism in fucking VIDEO GAMES need to just kill themselves.

Forgot to say that 2nd pic looks like shit no matter how I approach it.

Fallout 4 armors have the best aesthetics too though.

I've personally always liked Halo's classic power armors, less so the new ones from 4-5

This is even more bullshit than the guy you're replying to. Knightly one-handed swords were in use from the year 1000, and were ROUTINELY used with shields for actual combat for a period of like 500 years. And it should just go without saying that sidearms were used, even more often than modern military sidearms since main weapons broke or were dropped and lost often. Swords were not the greatest inflictor of casualties in war but that is not the same thing as "nobody used them".

Also when firearms and pike/shot formations started to dominate the battlefield is when arming swords disappeared, not when they started to be used as primary weapons.

Does taking a position as contrary to what the average person believes about history as possible make you feel smart or something?

Then cover them.
Does that explain why it has exposed pipes running into the legs?
An internal combustion engine has plenty of pipes and tubes, that doesn't mean that cars need to look like the same kind of mess.

Then armor in the middle-ages was designed by CAD because it is wearable as fuck.

What is meant to be going on with the T-60's torso?
If it is meant to be armored, why is it almost entirely comprised of tubing?
It's a as though humans die if their shoulders are injured, so you have to plate them up as heavily as possible, but there are no important organs in the abdomen.

That's because you haven't tried looking at it without having shit taste.

Looks like they're just going around the hip.

Also, A E S T H E T I C S.

Hydraulic drive servomotors.

It's just the bust being too big. It has the same thickness of armor in the abdomen area as the other armors.

Dude, get real. It has no neck and only one tiny hole. It gotta has shit visibility. That gun hand absolutely has no place for ammunition storage and other parts of firearms, it's the same size as it's hand. Those exposed cables are retarded as hell.

Well gee perhaps a power armour isn't a good idea then. Also as others have said, no reason to have exposed pipes.

No it isn't, if it was then why bother having a chestplate? It's a weakspot, a MASSIVE one at that.

Look closer then.

There is no reason you need to make it huge to round off the shapes, see WW2 tanks.

say what you will about krauts, they know how to make a goddamn weapon

messer literally just means "knife", could you be more specific

It's purely an artistic decision. He could go with the stomach plate on T60, but it would look too identical to the T45.

Because your chest has no joint???

They're all necessary fam.

Tanks are huge. Also, T60 is the only armor there that looks too edgy.

I don't deny that the designs have a few flaws from a technical standpoint, but it's still less retarded than most mecha design. Also, the I love the aesthetics. Covering the exposed pipes will make it look bland.

And they could use some rubber coverings, but it would make the armors hard to disassemble.

Pick one.
Fallout Power Armor, from the very first installations of the series to four, was always firmly in the WH40K Rule of Cool class of equipment- they're absolutely nonsensical from a design standpoint.

No amount of fudging or in-universe explanation will make them functional for reasons beyond "the game wants them to be." If we want practical armors, yeah, they're big blocky and ugly tanks hardly suited to call a suit. That's because power armor in general is a joke of a concept with our conceivable tech.

It's a fucking steel box. How can "steel box" look better than "PSG1 with machine gun fins, cables, and paintwork"?

less romantic =/= not romantic at all

Warhammer's armor got a lot of romantic decorations. At least in FO4 they try to make the decorations functional.

And the reason why I posted that armor is because some fag posted retarded mecha.

Looks less half assed I mean.

It fucking works, user.

You just like details, because you think that the more contrast a model has, the more cool it looks, when that simply makes things way too fucking noisy. It's overdesigned.

That doesn't explain why they have to be exposed, why they have to be to the front and why they need to be taking up space in an area that needs articulation.

Exposed hydraulic drive servomotors.

That's nonsense, it doesn't even have armor over the abdomen area at all, that's the layer under the armor that's visible.

A lot of designs in sci-fi and heavy armor in real life has no neck.

There's a camera behind the hole.

It's an energy weapon, look at the cables.

So?

They are to the rear at least, instead of being over the front of the body instead of armor.
Also, A E S T H E T I C S.

No it doesn't. Even if they just want to copy a design, they could've picked a less generic looking gun, like the OICW. Or look at the rifle they use in Aliens. It's simple looking, it works, but it doesn't look like half assed shit.

Artistic decision lad. I like the T45 better anyway.

nah

Doesn't justify the lack of visibility.

Camera needs to rotate too dummy.

They need to differentiate the shape at least because they have different mechanism.

Forget getting shot. The cable is so long that it might trip the robot like an untied shoelace.

If you like kettles, probably.

P O T T E R Y

Which game in the series did you play first, user?

What's armor, OP? You gotta define that before you make your question, you know?
Armor in videogames isn't a piece of equipment you strap yourself to protect you from incoming blows due to the physical properties of the material and shape the armor is made off. That's IRL armor you are thinking off.
Videogames armor is something entirely different but fundamentally just 2 things:
It's a damage reduction stat.
It's a fashion choice.
That's all armor in videogames is. You say "plate mail", I say "+8AC/1DEX Bonus". You say "Daedra Armor", I say "85% damage reduction". Usually in a videogame the stats of the armor matter much more than what it looks like to begin with so people won't even care. Unless there are multiple sets that give you the best possible damage reduction, in which case it's a personnal preference between what's available based on looks alone.
Which brings us to the second point: armor is a fashion statement. Characters often don't have "social clothing" except for some niche MMO's so your armor kinda feels that rank. People will pick armor based on it's looks and by this I mean how "cool" it looks, not how realistic it is. Reminder that most RPGs featuring armor also have dragons, elves and magic. Realistic armor is out of tone there.
An addendum to this point is also the choice of gender. Since you can play any you want and it's often a cosmetic choice as well, then players assume that the armor for different genders looks different as well, with females having by default the skimpy sexy armor. If both genders had realistic armor, what would be the point in having female gender as an option? Please don't say "identify with the character", you know that's stupid.
So if the devs have only one gender, male, of course nobody cares about sexy armor. They don't expect it to be a part of the game. But if you put a female character and her armor isn't skimpy, what was the point? Might as well placed a man there as well!
Realistic armor on females in videogames is like asking someone which side of the road he wants to walk on. You're still walking the same road and going to the same place, so what was the point of that choice? If you give them two roads, one realistic and another skimpy, that's much more interesting.

Christfuck user. Some people actually wear lesser armor because they like the way it looks.

Fashion in vidya is as important as the stats, you'll be staring at that ass the whole while.

Only retards use this argument, it makes zero sense.

The existence of dragons and elves doesn't change the fact that it's fucking stupid to have, say, a suit of armor with shoulders so huge they physically clip through the body of the character wearing it.

I agree in all examples except for one.

You're either a nigger, gay, or both.

I play female characters when I get the choice. I enjoy sensible armor on women, but I do wonder about your own ability to project.

user, you're staring at the game, when you play. Not someone's ass, the whole time.

I'll just be liberal with my guess, and say you're a gay nigger. Now, the question remains if you're of this planet.

You got me, I'm posting from the dark side of the moon.

Then congratulations on being a gay nigger from outer space.

You're a retard. Internal consistency is a thing. Does the fact that you need to protect your body from physical blows and cuts change because elves exist? No. The existence of magic could possibly affect armor design, but unless all combat was purely spellcasting you would want to protect yourself from physical attacks.

You could MAYBE argue that armor would be useless against dragons because they would just kill your in one hit no matter what, but 1. they never do and 2. that's only a point if you're going to fight nothing but dragons.

That's not how it works.

Nothing wrong with taking liberties with realism in fiction, but there's also nothing wrong with wanting realism or at least something that doesn't break your suspension of disbelief.

Get a room, fags.

lolhomo

They probably don't even have the callas to hold a blade. Skin like silk, just waiting to be ripped into.

Are you genuinely retarded?

My post said that you could. Did you not bother to read what you were replying too?

need some inspo

It's shit.

Came here to post this.

ODST armor isn't powered like MJOLNIR or Elite armor in Halo is, or your example is, but fuck me if it isn't sexy

shit forgot the rest of my images

might as well post the rest of the Isaac hannaford art

if you're wondering how the pod works (though it should be obvious), watch the webm

You control the first person view and such, it's not just a prerendered cutscene. Also, for a game using the same engine and graphical assets from a game from 2007, i'd say it's aged pretty damn well; though it''s a shame the resolution being cut down in the webm makes the drop less immersive and how well the visuals have aged be less obvious due to that + copmpression. Would kill to see how it looks with VR

Anyways I had a few more concept art stuff for ODST's but the thread was supposed to be about realistically grounded medieval armor, not sci fi stuff, so i'll leave it at this

How did we get to talking about sci fi powered armor in a thread about grounded medieval combat

You need to what? YOU NEED WHAT?

user, you know ODST is 5$ DLC for MCC, right? Doesn't have firefight though

It runs 1080p 60fps on that. That's where this footage is sourced from: gamersyde.com/hqstream_halo_the_master_chief_collection_gameplay_1-34751_en.html

Why do you think the webm is 60fps?

Reach still isn't, though, but at least it works on xbone via backwarda compatibility at it's original resolution/framerate

As for the footage, I assumed it was just one of those fake 60fps webms where it's run through a program first.

The day that Reach comes out for PC is the day I can die a happy man.

Ah, that's reasonable. I bought an xbone the moment MCC came out because i'm a fucking shamless faggot, but yeah, I don't blame you for not dropping 300$ on a console just for halo stuff.

It'll happen eventually, i'm sure. MS is piorting more and more shit to PC now, and think back, only 2-3 decades ago having sega games on nintendo consoles or on PC would be unthinkable. As long as you don't die in the net 30 or 40 years i'm sure you'll have it.

We should really let the thread go back on topic

Hell, even Halo 5 forge and customs are coming to PC: news.xbox.com/2016/05/19/forging-ahead-the-halo-forge-experience-comes-to-windows-10-pc/

Bewb armour

Yep. That's some old boobplate, right there.

Why do Haloniggers pretend Halo is even a decent FPS?
We have dozens of better FPS in PC already, is it just pure nostalgia?

Better question, are there any games with fuckhueg suits of armor? I'm talking full plate, covering every inch of skin. Bonus points if the suit of armor is the character.

Post the mirror webm.

would you

Well, it's about +3 ST, up to 10, so I'd say that's a yes.