Airships in Vidya

Why do we not get airships anymore in vidya anons?

Because they're literally gay.

Fuck off, tumblr

Think about this, in games where you can use an airship, it normally allows you to traverse the entire map in a minute or two. Airships were always the fastest mode of transportation outside of directly teleporting to a location through a spell or item that normally is unlocked later in the game. They also were occasionally used to reach locations you couldn't get to otherwise. Nowadays, you have fast travel to get anywhere you've been to as well as being able to reach anywhere on foot. Alternatively, there is no overworld, just a stage select. You'd also really notice how small all these open world game's maps really are. Additionally, the fantasy genre that allows for airships isn't all that popular recently. How many recent games can you name that you could plausibly throw in an airship vehicle and think "yeah, that fits in to this world"?

I'd really like to see a new vidya that focused on airships. Obtaining, outfitting, maintaining, upgrading, manning. All that stuff in addition to a normal game. Like Skies of Arcadia except you get to choose your own airship instead of being stuck with the Delphinus midway through and being able to tweak different aspects of ship.

A DS JRPG called Nostalgia lets you do that with the airships you can use, and since battles on the overworld are fought in a ship-to-ship or ship-to-monster style, you have to not only upgrade the equipment of the characters but also the airship as well. The skill points system also allows each character to learn and upgrade new functions for the airship, such as using magic to increase its defensive power (which is a must for battle at high altitude, as the stronger enemies dwell there). Not a huge amount of customization though.

Steampunk is shit but airships don't have to be steampunk.

Nation of wind is kind of recent.

sounds cool, i'll check it out

You can tell summerfags are here.

I can't suspend my disbelief around literal ships in air, sorry. Zeppelins or hovercrafts - those, yeah, those work for me.

Did someone say airships? Cause fuck yeah airships.
Also grappler ships.

There are not enough WW1 war zeppelins in games.

I was actually trying to bait somebody into replying to me with
Then going into an entire argument about airships having sexual preferences.

It's a bit hit or miss, but if you've been wanting a JRPG that harkens back to older times (Nostalgia being a lighthearted throwback JRPG; Matrix Software also having made 4HoL, another throwback JRPG), it might be of interest. Also worth noting that at least one of the western print runs had a game breaking bug, so if you plan to get an actual copy, be careful (an existing save file on "The Adventurer's Epilogue" should show that that particular cart doesn't have the bug, since it's already been beaten).

The two bonus dungeons are ridiculously unbalanced though.

Sapientes Gladio in Shadow Hearts: Covenant has one as a gunship. Yuri blows it to pieces in his demigod Amon form since he's fucking pissed off at the guy that owns it.

There are some in Divinity 2, though only as backdrops and enemies. I didn't play Dragon Commander, but since it's Divinity, I wouldn't be surprised if there was some in it.

Not many but this is one of the games that I remember which had a combat zeppelin.

Thanks for reminded me of Skies of Arcadia faggot, and how my old Gamecube broke so I'll never get to play it again.

You could always just get a backwards compatible Wii. Gamecube controllers and memory cards work with them, and even if you don't have the disc, there's ways to play Gamecube games off of USB drives.

There was an airship in tales of hearts/ ToH R if I recall correctly.
You got it near the end to stop some futuristic warship from fucking the world up.

I just wish they'd show up more often in flight simulators
I'd buy the fuck out a sim that allowed me to take part in a zeppelin raid on London.

Bravely Default and presumably Second fit the bill, where the airship is a big part of the plot, but in general I agree with you - they simply aren't as important to modern JRPG's.

As for your idea about managing an airship, I think the closest you're going to get on a handheld is something like Infinite Space, but that's sci-fi. Same ship management idea, though.

If I recall correctly Styx Master of Shadows had a level set on an airship(?)

No, the airship is only an escape point.

If it hovers in midair, then by definition it's a hovercraft, which includes both airships and airborne balloon fetishist colonies

Oh right now I remember. Shame.

So wait, what was the stealth game with a level set on an airship? Dishonored?

Normal aircraft are built around single person cockpits
Airships are more like submarines, or at least they should be, unless you just want to be a special snowflake fighter pilot like all those faggots over in the space threads
Flight sims just don't have the room to fit multiple different styles of gameplay like that

Zack & Wiki has a few airships, one is a level, and the other is part of a boss fight
And I think there was another one in another boss fight, though that might have just been a regular ship

Does the "original helicarrier donut steel" from XCOM 2 count as an airship? It's probably some sort of space ship, but we never see it actually go into space

Skyrim
Those assholes put airships in games before, but they stopped using them after Morrowind
Elder Scrolls canon also includes fucking space ships

I don't remember anything like that in Dishonored, but, I only really remember your home area.

Alternatively the same but in the sky.

Hey, I remember a friend of mine once showed me a game about that, you were a pirate and did stuff, it was pretty neat.
Something about pirates of the caribbean, I think it was.

KYS ANIMEFAGS

That game may ne assassin creed black flag i herd its good

No, it was before assasin's creed was a thing.

Sea Dogs?

Sid Meier's Pirates?

No, but by the same guys!
It was age of pirates, caribbean tales.

Holla Forums is at /vg/ and /vr/ these days, Holla Forums is deprecated

Nation of Wind just needs to not having fucking loud title screen music. Pisses me off everytime I go to play it.

Those aren't airships. They're still cool though.

Dolphin's wiki doesn't list broken sound anywhere for 4.0, have you tried it recently and fucked around with the settings?

Definitely not Dishonored. No airships in that game.

pure airship vidya and no one even mentions it? I started playing it a week or so ago, pretty damn fun, but no fun without teamwork, so it can be hit or miss whether the matches are good or not. luckily most crews stick together if they're good and you can chain a lot of good games together that way.

Isn't Guns of Icarus dead?

TimeSplitters had a Zeppelin level, but only for multiplayer. Would've made a cool story mission though.

Great music, too.

youre shit and your boiler exploded

tfw a new Crimson Skies never ever
Though maybe it's for the best.

I have played through the whole thing on Dolphin and never had any problems.

Use OpenGL for the backend and set the frame rate limit to your monitors refresh rate to keep the sound in sync.

FASA had some good ip's. Shame Microsoft will never do anything with them.

Fucking love the cannons, lasers and E-2000s. though.