Now that the dust has settled...

Now that the dust has settled, can we all admit that Dune was always Young Adult-tier and not worthy of a good film adaption or the praise it so often gets.

Other urls found in this thread:

moongadget.com/origins/dune.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Hopefully if it ever gets another film adaptation there will be a director available to do it justice
pic totally unrelated of course

dune is islamic kino

No, you're just a faggot.

Sci-fi has always been trash.

Fiction is always kiddy shit.

Dune heavily inspired modern sci-fi (Star Wars, Warhammer etc) and is greatly influenced by historical events like the Fall of Rome, the story of Muhammad and Laurence of Arabia.

It's also more relevant nowadays than it was back in the 60s and the 80s when the movie came out. Like the rise of Islam in the world and the oil crisis in the middle east especially really relate the book much more into the modern day.

In terms of adapting it, it would be really hard to do and would require a Peter Jackson-tier savant director with an autistic eye for detail from the source materiel to do properly without the story turning into "The fremen dindu nuffin, kill dem whities Paul"

it's nice to have a concrete product to curse for inflicting the shit you just named on pop culture tbj

Both somewhat adapted aspects of Dune but didn't relate them to what the source material was trying to talk about. They also only took elements very loosely. But the parallels are very clear and obvious.

For instance, Warhammer 40k has the "God Emperor of Mankind". There's literally a book called "God Emperor of Dune" which is one of the later books in the series. There's also how both fictional universes name their society of humans "The Imperium". They also describe Faster than Light Travel as being extremely dangerous to do and feature a group of mutated humans every ship has that make the act more reliable called "Navigators". In Dune's case the Navigators ingest a shitton of the spice only a single planet creates that allows them to temporarily see into the future and steer the ship in such a way that it doesn't just vanish when it goes really fast.

With Star Wars it more so borrowed from the plot. Like both feature a desert planet prominently. There was actually an entire chart of plot similarities between Dune and Star Wars someone made
moongadget.com/origins/dune.html

What's interesting is that George Lucas sort of ignored the theme of the book. The biggest theme that Dune has is that you shouldn't worship heroes and that hero worship leads to negative outcomes in society. Like the main character in Dune leads an army of backwards nomads who eventually start a galactic jihad in his name that he can't control. Whereas in Star Wars the main character becomes almost akin to a demigod and destroys the central government and nobody really bats an eye.

Society is made of heroes. Historically, Collective directing never ever trumped Single leading.
And that would make shitty stories, like the case in point.

They got rid of kings for a reason user

Because Merchants wanted to rule for themselves, yes.

Because it is easier to dupe a population that believes it has a say and power within government?

To reduce action in national and native interests and give the Vaishya and kikes power?

Dune pretends to be a simple hero's journey, but there's more going on under the hood. The sequels do a lot to deconstruct the heroic narrative of the first book.

>>>Holla Forums

You do know that Dune is to Sci-fi the same way LOTR is to fantasy?
You can see Dune in basically every scfi movie or book.
Start Wars f.e. had the protagonist start on a desert plane, named with a biblical name, extremely gifted in a spiritual force that can be used to manipulate space and people, society for the training of people with talent in the said force.
TBH Dune is very hard to adapt to screen. The narrative is very jumpy.
Lynch did a good job and I mean the directors cut. The theatrical was typical hollywood bullshit to change it into teen drama.

ftfy

What did you fine fellas think of the vidya?

What does my post have to do with Holla Forums?

Played the shit out of it as a kid.

I liked that and the Cryo game that inspired it. Cryo Interactive made kino in video game form.

House Ordos aka House Autism was best house.

It really does read like a young adult fiction book. Why does Dune get so much praise on 4chan?
Here is a passage since I have the book in front of me:

"A cloud passed over the skylights. Again, Hawat cleared his throat.

Paul straightened, spoke without turning: "I know. I'm sitting with my back to a door."

Hawat suppressed a smile, strode across the room.

Paul looked up at the grizzled old man who stopped at a corner of the table. Hawat's eyes were two pools of alertness in a dark and deeply seamed face.

"I head you coming down the hall," Paul said. "And I heard you open the door."

"The sounds I make could be imitated."

"I'd know the difference.""

This is like something out of "The Hunger Games." Deeply disappointed in ya'll's shit taste.

Because they're all derived from the Hero Myth.

4chan is full of fucking idiots thats why

Have you read pic related?

People who consume science fiction and fantasy literature are easily impressed by adequate writing.

It kind of does but even in the first sequel you notice quite a difference. If you just did a superficial reading of Dune you will be surprised where the story goes.

What's wrong with it? It shows both Paul's and Thufir's relationship quite clearly. They're mentor and apprentice, but not very strict. Paul is confident in himself, despite being young and inexperienced while Thufir is allowing it due to being uncertain about what Paul can and cannot do, due to Jessica's influence.

They don't really care about writing, these genres are about ideas. The content of the text and not the format is what matters most. Not that there aren't some good literary writers in these genres but they don't really get much attention. If you want decently written science fantasy try Gene Wolfe.

It's a fucking "powerlevel" bullshit edgy scenario - both the conversation development and the premise.
If you can't see it then you're his audience alright.

No, it sets the tone for the story. Paul is nobility, but is still expected to be able to defend himself on his own, as seen with the assassination attempt early on.

It's a futuristic version of how nobles in the past in feudal Europe trained from a young age, though the reason is different. And I'm not seeing the edge. You're wanting an em-dash there friend, not an en-dash. Ironic, assuming you're harping about writing in the novels.

Paul is pretty much a jedi and the guy is training him in how to not get assassinated like a chump.

I doubt you could write Dune today. A homo as the villain? Can you imagine the screeching that would ensue should the book manage get published?

It's funny, even some faggots here would probably call it edgy or say it just tried to coast on controversity.

wut. That whole book is like that.

I mean the elements from both are found in their own genres to this day.
The hero thing is in stories from the beginning of mankind. Hardly any successful story is without it.

They can't resist the Emperors worm. If you know what I mean.

Dune is light novel tier. Only Lynch made it passable. Honored Matres are exactly the shit you would read about in some weebshit trash novel.

reported for psuedo-cuckime.

Recommend me light novels as good as Dune.

War and Peace

A Russian light novel? Okay.

Wasn't this getting a reboot film?

Novels are for children. Prose is the console gaming of literature and Don Quixote is the Bioshock of prose. Adults only read epic poetry.

Reading poetry is for ADHD riddled autists, who don't have the patience to listen to poetry in its intended form, and get antisocial shitfits from being close to people.

I'm completely serious about prose being for children.

does this mean we should be the harkonnens and btfo the sandniggers to claim the oil?

OP is a retard.

… Alejandro Jodorowsky?

No.

all books are kiddie shit, adults like myself dont have time to waste reading.

Threads like this are why I occasionally come to Holla Forums. I can never tell who's actually being genuine in their posts.

True, but it's almost impossible to find someone who's willing to recite epic poems for you these days, and listening to people do it on jewtube isn't the same.

Because clearly something a channer wrote is the height of human literature.

The Baron wasn't merely a homosexual.

He was a homosexual megalomaniac who openly dabbled in pedophilia.

And that just Tuesday for him.

He was /ourguy/.

First book is the worst book, 4 is the best book. Don't read anything after 6.

I can't wait to see Emilia Clark in Dennis Villeneuve's Dune as Chani.

After Blade Runner 2049 bombed so hard I doubt he will get to make it, famalam.

Reading 1-4 and ignoring everything else is the way to go if you ask me.