Games you played on dial up

Subspace continuum

This is probably the first game I played online with other people. I actually was pretty good despite my ping.

I was a real cheesy stealth fucker. I haven't touched the game since the early 2000's. I wouldn't mind looking into it again to see what it's like now.

World of Worldcraft private servers

I played on a few different private servers but the only one that really stands out to me is WoWscape before peyton got sued into oblivion. This was probably the most fun I had in an online game. I met new and interesting people and it really got me into online gaming at around 2007 or so.

Lag didn't seem to mess with me too much except in battle grounds. I was much more hyped to just explore the world.
Chance pvp encounters were 50/50 for me. Usually if someone was just plain better they beat me but I never felt like I couldn't defend myself against someone who was on equal footing to me. A lot of the mechanics of the game were lost on me since I'd never played the official server and the pirate server had a lot of broken skills and such

PSO blue burst

I'd played a lot of PSO offline on my dreamcast…and then my gamecube. I tried it on the PC when I found out about PSO blue burst. I kinda started to get into it while I was playing WoW private servers. My memory is a bit fuzzy but sometime after WoWscape went down I dumpped a lot more time into PSO. A really sinful amount.

It's important to note that at this point I was starting to use my college's internet to play games a bit faster. This was also a point where I would play games off a mobile harddrive. I'd use school computers to play wow and PSO since those games were so old. What a wild time to be alive.

PSO played very well on dial up for me. Once in a blue moon I'd get d/c but this was a game built around the birth of the internet. Although you could argue Sega cheated a bit since 99% of the game takes place locally on your machine.

World of Tanks

The last game that I played on dial up was World of Tanks. At this point I had gotten a gaymen laptop and could drag it back and fourth between school. At this time I usually went to college to mooch off their high speed. I found I could play tanks off my shitty rural dial up. I couldn't believe it. This is about the edge of what I could work off of dial up wise. Luckily I didn't have to do this for long and moved to a place with high speed.

Also, post your current intranet speed. currently sitting at a comfy 14 Mbs down (while streaming a show) and 31 when not streaming. 5 Mbs up.

Other urls found in this thread:

ephinea.pioneer2.net/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Runescape. Although my mom would talk a lot on the phone so I'd always lose connection or lag like crazy if I was lucky.

Diablo, warcraft 3, I remember playing some obscure mmos as well.

My current net is trash, I've got 7Mbs down and 0.5Mbps up.

Duke Nukem 3D is the only one I can specifically recall playing on dial up.

Interstate '76, Diablo, Ultima Online, Everquest, Asheron's Call, Phantasy Star Online.

none. my dad wouldn't let me play anything online because internet was so expensive

this didn't change until we switched to cable sometime in the early 2000s

Fucking EQ, I miss those days. But I'm not sure I still used dial up when I played it.

Dark Forces II, Unreal Tournament, C&C Renegade, C&C Generals. We didn't get broadband until 2004.

unreal tournament 2004
half life 2 deathmatch

I've played WoW and a few shitty Korean MMO's.
Also the obligatory RunEscape.

not multiplayer, but there was a LEGO RTS on mars ages ago that i use to adore

Halo Custom Edition, i would always get kicked due to my astronomical ping.

Holy fuck I remember playing a demo of '76 on a Super Sampler disk.
I need a popsicle

Also Runescape.

I still miss it and UT just doesn't have that same charm, same with HCE, it's still alive but in HCE's case a lot of the servers are long dead. Only servers left really are stock map servers with very few custom map servers around

ephinea.pioneer2.net/

INNUMERABLE STARS
WON'T TELL US WHERE TO GO

Delta Force 2 with a totally not full of viruses cheat program thing that let me jump super high and rain down grenade launcher rounds down upon people.

I was kinda a shitter when I was 8 or so.

Also Fighter Ace.

Good taste except for phantasy star

Runescape (not classic but the one after that, somewhere around 2003-2004)
Aapeli minigolf

MMORPG and such were out of question back then due to high connection costs (so I had limited time on 56k connection) and bad English understanding.

Actually now I'm talking BS as these were games I played on dial-up. It must've been before 2000 (we got ADSL then)

I forgot to mention that I also played private server Ragnarok as well as maplestory. Both worked well enough on dial up.

For some reason I pushed those memories outta my head.

Why does it hurt so much?

quake 3 on dreamcast back in 2001
i pretended to be a girl back then

I had all the expansions on PS2. Quit during Wings of the Goddess.
I'll never forget the people I met. Some of them I hated, some of them I loved. I miss them both.

I remember direct dialing for sc1. Didn't need ISP as it was p2p. Now (((blizzard))) makes you phone home for local single player.