Shin Megami Tensei General

SMT Imagine, the 9-year running MMO, closed down just about an hour ago.
By the looks of it, I'd say Cave isn't very likely to work with the IP again anytime soon. Atlus did register a few web domain names for Imagine recently, but that's probably just for precaution.

Let's have a MegaTen general.

Last we heard about Team Maniax' next project, Kazuyuki Yamai (SMTIV Final/Apocalypse developer) was quoted months ago saying "Our next venture will be a difficult one, and it may also be very long but the entire staff is dedicated to doing our best so that they won’t betray the players’ expectations. We want to make a game that will surprise fans and make them think 'Wow, this is a game I’ve wanted to play.'"
Sadly, still no updates on that since.

And P5 is coming to E3, but I'm sure everyone already knows that by now.

Other urls found in this thread:

personacentral.com/shin-megami-tensei-iv-apocalypse-english-website-updated/
smealum.github.io/3ds/
youtube.com/watch?v=Y_rDme7RYtk
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

rip in peace

fuck man, i never got to play the English servers.
is there a private server or something?

I've read that some fans are trying to make one, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

Can I haz extra ITOLDYUSO with that?

Started playing Nocturne.
Holy shit Daisoujou is the best support demon ever. He has a life/mana stealing spell, just learned a full heal, and has a few buff spells from fusion. One of them is the magic stat buff, which means more mana stealing. Shit's so overpowered yet I still get one turn wiped occasionally.

Thread deserves a bump

just finished smt iv gonna start strange journey tonight,

how are you supposed to find passwords without cheating?

I used him until the end of the game. Daisoujou is a bro-teir demon.

Is it possible to make a private server?

You get passwords from demons you fuse. The unique passwords were handed out by the devs long ago. Everything else is user made.

What happens in SMT 1 if i choose to stay in the neutral route to save the Law Hero in the fight against Chaos Hero and then i go switch to the Law Route?

You're goddamn right. I was having some problems on Mother Harlot and guess what i did, i sucked the bitch's mana with spooky skele and another demon until it reached 0. From that point on she was only wasting turns with casting spells but failing.

There's a reason why Nocturne is "Adventures of Hella Demifiend and Brosoujou"

No matter how much I tried to change up my party Daisoujou was too invaluable to remove. The fact his ddrain spell is the best in the game really helps.

Would anyone here at Holla Forums help out with the private server? Last I remember they were asking for people with programming knowledge.

Apparently Persona 5 is going to have a pre-E3 news article in the next issue of Dengeki PlayStation (June 9). Part of me wants to look forward to it, but there's no way I'll finish learning Japanese that soon.

That's an interesting question. Honestly, I don't know. Maybe someone at agdg could look into it.

RAIDOU 3 WHEN

Never ever ;_;

what was your reaction when you met him

Knowing how buffs and nulls work before getting to him really changes everything

I mostly zoned him with my shotgun, wasn't a very big deal.

I played Nocturne late, so I already knew Matador was hard beforehand, although I didn't know exactly when I was going to encounter him, so when he finally made his appearance, all I could think was "I don't think I'm ready for this", and sure as hell I wasn't. Good thing I had a magatama to make me immune to force so I could beat him on the second try.

that's 9 years too many, holy shit was it bad

Welp

Kill me Holla Forums.

But iv was shit, SMT is dead too.

fear.

Then really fucking pissed.

He isn't even the worst, you fight against Mot, later and he can hit your party with Megidoloan, which has no way to prepare against outside of raw stats, then he can use an Eye skill to regain his turns and do it again.

whenever he feels like it.

When you go up against skeleboner, he can just wipe your buffs whenever. when you go against Mot, he can wipe your PARTY whenever.

The game's basically trying to tell you that bosses are fucking damage races and you shouldn't fuck around, you need to dispel and rebuff on half your turns and then pass it to your dudes who can wreck shit before they can take your buffs away or make things worse.

It's basically the most frantic RPG I've ever played. if you're not damaging anything in a turn, at least once, you're doing something wrong. You need to keep buff punching to win.

I actually beat Mot in the first try somehow, he only used Megidoloan once and his turn gainer skill once too.
Piss easy, he was even weak to an element if I remember that right.

Which firmware are you on?

9. something, jap version

Weak to lightning, you can completely cheese him with a party full of zio casters and turn around his whole infinite turns shit right on his ass.
Trumpeter though, now THAT'S the real motherfucker of the game until you figure out how his bullshit trumpet works

New English screenshots for SMT IV Apocalypse.

personacentral.com/shin-megami-tensei-iv-apocalypse-english-website-updated/

Sorry about the late reply but I think this might help:

smealum.github.io/3ds/

You get stuck on the path before that point

MC still looks like shit

CASUAL ALERT

CASUAL ALERT

WHOOP WHOOP WHOOP WHOOP WHOOP WHOOP WHOOP WHOOP WHOOP WHOOP WHOOP WHOOP WHOOP WHOOP WHOOP WHOOP WHOOP WHOOP WHOOP WHOOP

Trumpeter is the reason im probably not going to replay smt 3. Fuck that boss. Everything else was easy as shit.

Died from the ICBM, died from the megido ark, and killed by Lucifer what a bunch of Jobbers

Isn't the 3DS region free? What's stopping you from getting the NA version?

u wot m8

3ds is, in fact, region locked. There is CFW that lets you pirate games, through.

Stephen DLC explained the first time they all died until Stephen decided to give them another chance at life. Demi-fiend died in his first run going TDE the second time he beat Lucifer.

Hush now.

Reiji's a fucking troll and I love it.

And you take that seriously?

Well they managed to get two major programmers to work on the project at least. This is one person's result.

Persona is the superior series.

You know, this looks pretty cool.
If I was better at coding I would love to help

W-we're finally getting SMT x FE?

That still hurts, user

why are you faggots getting sentimental over Imagine? it was SHIT.

i didn't play that far, but it would not surprise me if weapon/armor upgrading was some RNG bullshit like "50% chance of losing the item UNLESS you buy cash shop item, in which you still have 50% chance to fail but without losing the item :^)"

it was literally everything wrong with the MMO genre, with a coat of paint of SMT color.

fuck anybody who liked this game, it was a stain on the clean record the SMT franchise once had.

they should just make another console SMT like DDS or Nocturne where everything is fucked and you are the demons. Aspect Raidou kuzunoha 3 would also be acceptable, why did they let that fragment of the franchise die? its a detective thriller, that shit sells, everybody likes detective scenarios, throw in an RPG system and perhaps some replayability and you're golden.

Too bad imagine closed

I played very little and thought it was pretty boring, too bad there are no proper Megaten MMOs

If this private server does well, maybe the cash shop gear would be toned down?

The rarities were the demon plugins anyways.

it was just a terrible game on top of all the bad mmo cliches.

Considering that leveling up in that game was easy for 1-90, getting the basic demons was piss easy for registering to the compendium.

The combat system was actually good, the problem was that CAVE wanted money, thus all the damn imbalanced gear that came along, breaking it to bits.

The few rebalances did help out, too bad that it wouldn't last because with all the escalating gear they kept adding, they couldn't figure out how to make 'meaningful' content that would last, hence their shut down.

pretty much but on my second attempt because i had someone weak to garu in the party and didn't know what element he uses

The game minimized most of those problems gradually with updates. It had a bad start but got better with age, kind of like Battlefield 4.

I wish.
I'm still not entirely sure whose side to blame for the stupid idol shit.
Probably both, I guess.

I just like messing with EOP, they're just alternate universe of the MCs that failed. But some of it explains a lot about SMT 4 like everyone in Mikado has demon genes

I played the first SMT several weeks ago. Kinda dragged in the middle, but I liked it until then, and then it picked back up at the end. Game glitched and I leveled up from level 70 to 98 after a boss battle in the final dungeon, but it actually didn't make me as overpowered as I thought it would.

I want to play SMT II now (actually I'm quite interested in II-IV Final and Strange Journey), but I played through the first month of Persona 4 on an emulator to see if I'd like it (after Persona 3, I really didn't think I would), but I did enjoy that first month, so since I was getting a Vita anyway, I just decided to play through P4G before I get back to SMT. Now I just need to decide if I want to buy a physical edition so I can use the American PSN for cheap games, or buy the digital edition which will lock me to the Japanese PSN which has higher prices and less sales.

Anyway, I hope SMT II doesn't drag as much, but that sounds like a useless wish, since I've heard it has some annoying backtracking.

You don't even know the half of it buddy.
You are going to have to remember really insignificant rooms or places you couldn't go to on your first run through in a dungeon and mark that shit because the game expects you to remember that.
The backtracking is probably the worst thing about the game but the game has some crazy ass plot twists that I loved.
Also you can get a railgun as a weapon and any route you take I think you get to fight YHVH

I want portable versions of the PS2 SMT games more than I want anything else in the world.

Imagine raidou 3 developed by platinum.

I don't think it's possible to beat Nocturne especially on it's hard difficulty without Daisoujou. I think the playtesters were even afraid of telling the devs that it was overpowered because they wanted to keep using him.

Sounds like a worse version of:

Where can I follow this project's progress?

>>>/out/
Nigga priest Skeleton wasn't even in the original release of the game.
I have actually never read a comment that has left such a bad taste in my mouth.

I don't think Atlus will ever outdo these. They need some kind of update or port.

idk about that, smt iv was so close to being a great game if it weren't for a few major flaws

i liked most of the guest art except for medusa and lucifer

I have way too many issues with 4's combat and pacing to think of it really as that good, same for Final even with the battle changes they don't fix much it's closer to wiping a table after spilling something on it, there are still the stains left.

I'm admittedly not very big on mainline SMT at all, but I would fucking love portable versions of the DDS duology so much.

SHIT
What the fuck have I done. Great Will have mercy on my soul.

I'd actually buy a Vita to play these on the go.

I prefer to think that SMTIV should by all accounts have been way worse given current atlus.

The Private Server + thread on the megaten proboards is one area, but honestly, I might make updates here on Holla Forums too.

Japan is okay with IV but they don't like Final because it lacks proper chaos and law routes. Soul Hacker will get milked though since its Japan's favorite game while Strange Journey is the most hated game in Japan.

You can get her back at the end, in that maze thing. She's level 99 and hads 99 luck IIRC.

How can one nation be so wrong? Soul Hackers is bland as fuck.

Its a fan favorite since forever, they only hate Strange Journey because it didn't take place in Japan.

pluto was the only one i actually disliked

whats their opinion on SJ's game mechanics

They hate it too

It's level 80 with 30/40 in each stat

Actually I heard they didn't like the peace route since it's too much like Persona 4.

What I really want to know is whether my predictions are corect. Namely "Great Will dindu nuffinz" and "Its the final mainline game".

i think they have plans to continue up to atleast smt6
the "final" part refers to the game starting in the previous games final chapter

Also the fact that it's the final game in the SMT IV universe.

Fatlus is to blame,for while Awakening was waifu-fagging trash,the gold-mine that was Persona 4 was the mother of all waifu-games.

That and at an interview an Atlus employee pretty much admitted that the're best at Persona.

Don't even get em started on that shit

That still doesn't explain the Metatrons coming from fucking everywhere to stop you from killing YHVH.

That shit sounds like a true end-game scenario but why waste it on on the final game ofa "duology"

But why call it "Final" if there's only ONE game in the SMTIV universe before it?
A trilogy that left loose ends I'd understand but it sounds rather unnecessarily grandiose for a fucking sequel.

Also meant for

Well to be fair SMT IV did leave many loose ends, I suppose they wanted to wrap the storyline up before moving on to SMT V.

Wait that user said the Japanese hated Final yet it has a higher rating than vanilla IV.

That's because he's fucking lying.

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and tell lies?

Nonsense.

The devs shot down this rumor LONG ago. Safe to say it was just a bad name choice on their part.

Their next, "difficult" project is most likely SMTV. I hope they give it their all.

I hope they give it to someone competent.

Now there's a good idea.

I'm not lying they hate it go on 2ch not to mention the game didn't sell up to expectations

Great Will dindu nuffin wrong it was all YHWH who didn't get a waifu no joke.

Post proof.

just end me now

Ayyyyy I already have desu 1 and 2 on an r4 for my dsi xl. Should I pick up the 3ds versions? I hate the idea of voice acting but if the 8th day is cool and the graphics are sharper I might go for it

Oh boy. Here come the inevitable cheaply-made corporate recolours.

Why do they think these re-colors are a good idea?

They're hoping they'll convince people to preorder.
Same thing happened with the older SMTIV.

This really bothers me
The whole, the GWU is the actual good guy and the story is now Black and White, plus Mastema being good

Its mediocre as fuck. Gameplay was some "tales of" tier action bullshit. They should had never bring action to smt series.

How come SMT games are on Nintendo consoles and Persona is almost exclusively on Playstation (Q being the exception)?

beat him on hard mode underleveled

he has two phases

phase 1, normal mazans and physical attacks. he dekundas if he's debuffed occasionally.

You want to stack your buffs and set it up for phase 2. debuffs are high mana costs early game so i don't recommend it but if you have nothing you can do in a turn debuffing once for the advantage and making him waste a turn so he dekundas himself is fine.

Having one party memeber null to wind helps to he skips turns/ better than debuffing

Phase 2: he will spam Taunt and then Anda Lucia (AoE melee repeat attack synergizes with Taunt's double defense down)

This is a DPS race/burn down the boss, because the longer the match the better it is for matador.

The entire fight is a metaphor of a bull and a matador, the demifiend being the bull. you have to get him before he tires you out and kills you.

With buffs ready for phase 2 , which starts at him being 40%, the fight should be fine. take advantage of taunt's double attack up buff and attack him with physical attacks preferably. Your demi-fiend should be physical, of course, in hard mode since its the best build for demi-fiend.

Demonee ho is a password demon from strange journey.
You either guess em, get em from some magazines or look it up online. It was their way of keeping up public interest in the game.

3DS version has extra content and in case of Desu 1 fixes a lot of bugs so yeah get them

Sony funds the anime cutscenes.

Streaming Devil Survivor 2: Raidou vs King Abaddon if any one was bored and looking for something to watch.

youtube.com/watch?v=Y_rDme7RYtk

You can turn off the VA in DeSu 1 and I think DeSu 2 as well but I haven't played that yet.

I just beat him not too long ago for the first time, and can't understand why he's hyped up so much.
I died the first time I fought him because I was unprepared and had a party member weak to force out, but the second time when I made demi-fiend immune to force he was a fucking joke.

So why isn't Atlus porting the mainline to PC?

Because mainline is not mainline anymore.