The "Valve doesn't make games anymore" meme

Can someone explain why this meme exists? It's only been 3 years since Valve's last official game release. Sometime in between 2015 and early 2016 Valve finished Source 2 and Dota 2 has since been ported to a partial version of Source 2.
Reports and so-called 'evidence' also point towards Left4Dead 3 being shown at E3 and released in 2017.
So is there a reason why people think this or is it ebin memery/Anti-Valve circlejerking?

Other urls found in this thread:

imgur.com/gallery/WiDYp
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Oh boy, is it going to be another glorified addon sold at full price again? At this point Steam users would defend it.

because they used to release a game about once a year-ish and they were always quality even if they were kinda short or rehashes like l4d2.

now its pretty obvious they dont care about making vidya at all anymore and just want steam and crate key shekels.

because from what i understand, and don't quote me on this one, valve didn't even in house develop CSGO and they flat out didn't make dota/dota 2.
portal 2 was the last game they in house developed 4 years ago

Because they aren't releasing Half-Life 3 or Portal 3 and those are the only games that matter to fucking everyone on the internet apparently.

This one actually makes sense to me

Valve's last few releases have been made by other companies. Not developed by Valve themselves.

The reason people think this is because of the recent direction Valve has taken, just about every new game has some sort of cosmetics economy. Why would Valve have an incentive to make shit if furries on TF2 want to get the latest Australium so they can sell it to other furfags at double the price, or kids on CS:GO who steal their parents' money because they wanted a skin that looked tacticool and their favorite e-celeb used it.

Valve has gone downhill since The Orange Box, about any recent game of worth has gotten some sort of shitty trade/economy function in it so Gabe can stuff cash wads up his fat rolls. Considering all the "leaks" about Half-Life 3 I wouldn't be surprised if they went the whole "open-world but not really open-world game twice amount of scenes HL2 had sold at $60". They don't even have to make a deathmatch mode either, because casuals don't care about that. Hell, casuals probably only played Half-Life 2 and quit the first one because it was "boring". They probably never even played any Half-Life game to begin with and just saw the HL3 Confirmed meme on Facebook.

They would, hell after Reddit invading here from the many Exoduses, anons here would defend it.

If you mean dota, they made the engine but not the mechanics, balance, or anything. It's not so much making a game as much as it was making a port.

The only reason it really exists is because of hat money and limitations of dota 1 being on the WC3 engine.

Nice dubs OP, check these

Okay. Let's correct this.

Valve doesn't make good games anymore.

Better now?

DotA2 is a good game though.

Valve has never made a game before

Obey the memes.

Reports and so-called 'evidence' also point towards Half Life 2: Episode 3, Half-Life 3, Left4Dead 3 being shown at E3 and released in 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017.

They took 6 years to develop Half Life 2 after Half life, 3 years to release orange box after that.

Valve was always the slowburner, they can take their time, but that doesn't change the fact that they have invested in some dubious shit recently. Same dubious shit that make them millionaires and doesn't help creating necessity to make good vydia

They didn't make DotA, faggot, study the franchise history.

they make glorified marketplaces for the most pointless shit

Fuck off OP. As a guy who bought L4D 1 and saw them make a sequel the next fucking year they are dead to me. I tend to give most companies the benefit of the doubt in the beginning since a company is a large lumbering beast that hates sweeping changes but valve just shit the bed along with most other vidya companies. Video games are dead.

Depends on what you call games.

I am utterly convinced we won't ever see a single player offline game from Valve ever again.

And they just released that VR tech demo running on Source 2.

valve is more entertainment services than they are video game dev

I never said they made it

I want a single player valve game with proper modding support like Valve made with Half Life 2.

But no, they'd rather make sheckels off cosmetics and items in multiplayer games. Valve truly does not make games anymore, they make platforms for items that people can kill each other with. Yeah, it has gameplay in it and is much more video game than a walking simulator, but that's just so that people can justify spending over a hundred dollars on a knife reskin.

Portal 2 was five years ago. Dota 2 doesn't count since they were just porting over an existing "game" to a new engine.

They don't make games, they're just a service provider. Dota 2 is run by ONE man, Ice Frog, and TF2 relies on community updates and nothing else.

Even CS:GO just gets cosmetics. On top of that, Steam is a lazy, poorly maintained, bloated program that allows any shit in.

Steam killed Valve.

They make money off other people's games. 30% cut from every purchase. From there the greed can only grow.

I'm not even sure why steam was started in 2003 when it was only Valve's games. Perhaps to replace WON, but I don't get it. What was their original plans?

It was used as DRM and to help handle patches for CS, TFC, etc. since they had frequent updates.

There's a reason why L4D2 was what it was, it involved a lot of internal bullshit between Valve and Turtle Rock.

Steam isn't even the problem- it's Valve's corporate structure.

It was fine when they were just a company who had the rare release every few years and relied on Gabe's personal wealth to tank lean times. It's not so fine when they're a service provider who ignores their customers, allows scams, and refuses to curate the shit they sell.

Steam is a LAZY service provider, not necessarily a bad one. It's like going to a hobby shop where the manager is lazy and delegates everything to underlings and never says no to corporate salespeople. Plus, Gabe has changed over the years.

This is just a side effect of their dysfunctional structure. How many of the people behind TF2 or Portal are still around, for that matter?

Nevermind Half-Life 3

I want Half-Life 2 Episode 3

If it killed Valve then why do they still have a dev team? They are just taking their sweet time making a new title with the significant financial security they currently have. an absolute dream for any company that makes games.

Wasn't Left4Dead2's premature release because TurtleRock didn't want to make L4D2?
And then of course they went on to make Evolve and we all know who won out in that scenario

Portal 2 was five years ago. The last substantial update to TF2 made by Valve and not the community was probably 2013. Dota 2 is done by Icefrog. CS:GO… I don't know a lot bout it, but it mostly seems to be skins and the occasional map.

In the meantime, Valve hasn't even HINTED at a new game. On top of that, Steam has gotten lazier and lazier with worse sales and less oversight. Unfinished, plagiarized scams shit make it through.

You mean other than the materials and .txt files referencing Half-Life 3 and Left4Dead3 appearing in Source 2 stuff they've put out like their VR demos?

The reason these games get less content is because Valves developers are mostly working on something big, and we only know this because the TF2,L4D and Dota 2 are down to skeleton teams. CSGO is developed by a second party, I think, I know it was made by a second party but I don't know if that second party still works on it.

Valve will announce new content when they are ready, to think that they are somehow paying the wages of 200+ game developers and not actually making content is absurd.

Pipe dream. Fans have been jumping the gun since episode 2 was released.
No way. Turtle Rock left and created a massive flop. Additionally, Left4Dead2 left a bad taste in a lot of people's mouthes and tainted the IP permanently. I don't see people lining up to pay 60 dollars again for a game that'll die in three to six months.

I think they've been sinking all their time into their not-a-console steambox.

Most of their development staff are completely irrelevant to the Steambox, they actually have a separate hardware team for this content, we know that valve has separate hardware development teams based on their discontinued AR headset.

So have they even hinted at what they're doing? I'm pretty sure rumors of Half Life 2 and TF2 circulated for years before release, and this was before the internet was so ubiquitous to marketing and information.

After what happened with Turtle Rock, I wouldn't be surprised if their internal company politics are crippling production.

L4D2's online still somewhat active.
But yes, the fact it was released so shortly after the first game pissed tons of people off.

As someone who only used Steam back when it was in beta and didn't sell anything the extent of this really surprised me.

A saw it explained on another site, some scam corporation steals a Unity or Unreal asset that's designed to be used as a base for a game or as a template and 'flips' it on Steam without changing anything.

imgur.com/gallery/WiDYp

The community tells Valve and they don't care at all, they ban people who make too much of a fuss about it. Why should they care? It means more games on Steam to brag about at the end of the day. Microsoft did the same thing with their app store; they opened the floodgates to scammers and expressed fake shock at how quickly their numbers were going up as garbage was pouring in.

If online journalism wasn't so corrupt they might not get away with it. Instead it gets worse.

Nobody implied that they made it. You're retarded.

It's because they don't want to spend shekels on having people curate the store. Heaven knows they can afford to have a team of five or six people who's only job is to run customer service and cull plagiarized games, scams, and early access shovelware.

Can we fucking stop with this "facts are memes" meme?

OP is a fucking faggot.

Here's your

Because they techincally didnt, part of the work was done by companies other than Valve, like with CS GO being done by Turtle Rock before it got patched into what it is now.

Its also because Gabe Newell has been quoted on saying "We wont ship a game unless it follows a business models we've learned after Portal 2" or something like that, which makes it completely seem like they dont care for making games unless they can make cash off of retextured items like a bunch of lazy faggots. Sure they say there may be a new game, but people always say that every single year, and if it comes out now it'll probably be shit

Yes.
Good goy, now give G*D's chosen videogame company.

Steam was originally made as DRM for Valve's games. Because they are anti consumer cancer killing video games. Only complete faggots put digital restrictions management in video games.

Only youngfags believe that DRM is new. It's been around since games have been in the household instead of the arcade.

We really only know that Left 4 Dead 3 and Half Life 3 are being developed internally, we don't know how much focus these titles are getting or at what stages they are at but it's right to assume that something is getting major focus based on the skeleton dev teams for their other title, but that thing may have just been Source 2 and accompanying tech demos and not a title itself. Valve has recently released 2 games on Source 2, Dota 2 for Source 2 and that VR tech demo which looks really slick but is just a shitty VR tech demo.

You are thinking of Hidden Path entertainment, Turtle Rock are the people responsible Shill simulator 2015.

I thought the quote was utilization of technology not monetization of fanboys.

Where did I say DRM is new? Who are you quoting?

What I'm saying is that DRM, in some capacity, is nigh unavoidable. Sure, you'll get some indie studios or the occasional A developer who's willing to risk it, but those are statistical outliers.

Why would Valve make a Left 4 Dead 3, though? Who actually wants it? It's not a genre with a large market and Vermintide is already dying, despite being a robust and original entry that's a third of the price and attached to a strong IP.

As for Half Life 3, I'm expecting it to never come out or to end up being something like Duke Nuke'em Forever. I actually think they've all but dropped development since the hype is so overwhelming that any release will result in backlash and a bad game might sink their reputation forever.

Where did I say DRM is new? Who are you quoting?

What I'm saying is that DRM, in all capacities, is shit. Valve, instead of breathing life into video games by setting a role to look up to by releasing DRM free games, conceived yet one more aborted fetus towards consumer treatment, and they deserve to go bankrupt for that.

Go play in traffic, you dipshit valvedrone. You tried to twist my words and read what you wanted to hear in order to rush the the defense of your lord gayben.

You're wrong, they wouldn't even need to hire anyone to curate it. You have hundreds of shut in autists that would gladly do this job for no remuneration. A tiny bit of praise and attention from senpai would mean the world to them.

What happens instead? They ban these upstanding members for naively trying to help. It makes me sick to stomach when I see this online. The people who run Steam don't care at all about the quality of their service; they want nothing but high number of transactions, users and items available for purchase on their service.

Valve will never release a good ending to the Half-Life series. At this point all development for it is dead and they will keep "leaking" false hints about it so that their cucks won't completely give up hope. At some point they may try to improve their company image by releasing a final HL game, and it'll be a rushed piece of shit worse than how Fallout 3 was to the Fallout franchise. The old Valve that was about trying to make original games is dead, and it needs someone to replace Gabe and purge out the memeing employees to revive it. I'm not sure how healthy the crypto-kike is but I'm assuming it'll be many years before he drops out. Just abandon hope for anything good to come from them. Never forget how they let TF2 go to the memes.

I'm just waiting for E3 to pass with nothing from valve and then the >2016 poster will be monumentally blown the fuck out.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Valve GIVE AWAY Left 4 Dead 2 as part of a promotional some time ago?

Either way, people got burned, hard, one that game and they're not so likely to touch the stove again. Plus, the team behind both games is long gone and Evolve crashed and burned.

Yes, but before then it had already achieve 11 million in sales across all platforms worldwide, so we can't know the extent that these free copies bloated that number.

What is it with the Valvedrones around here lately?

you cunt

also Dota 2 is a good game if you and your friends aren't tryhard faggots and actually play for fun

most burger high schools had their finals around last week

And game is fun if you're playing it with friends.

But user, Evolve came out years ago!

'Singleplayer offline' is dead for the same reason LAN is, user; technology has moved too far forward and everyone in the first world is assumed to be online at all times.

I remember getting HL1 way back in 98 (or 99?) and our part of suburbia didn't even have access to broadband internet yet.

Don't get me wrong, I think it's an abysmal shame that offline singleplayer and LAN are an endangered species. Just like the RTS genre.

Why?

They're easy to make. It's effectively the same game with a few gimmicks.

None of the developers who are at Valve now were involved with Half-life so it won't be HL3.
The old guard left, only Gabe is left.

What Valve is working on is likely some VR games. Aside from their custom Linux build I have not seen Valve make software for a while.

Not even Half-Life's writer works there anymore.

dota 2 was ported to source 2 and today received vulcan api support, csgo is slowly being ported to source 2, tf2 is going to get official competitive matchmaking, l4d3 is being made and will use crates/cosmetics, hlf 3 was referenced in leaks and a valve employee was seen in game playing an unknown valve rpg. why be ass hurt?

I've been hearing that for a year and a half now. Maybe longer. I'll believe it when I see it because Valve sure as hell doesn't seem to give a fuck about TF2.

Not that user, but it feels like Valve is in the same pit Blizzard was. They've not made a new IP since.. L4D, I think.

Even Blizzard branched out into Hearthstone and Overwatch.

I just want to see something new from Valve that isn't hats or a WC3 mod. Hopefully that thread about Valve working on a RPG is true.

Valve itself hasn't made any games in quite some time. Companies absorbed into Valve or otherwise working under Valve haven't made any games since DOTA2 and CS:GO.

did you give it a try when beta matching making was free try?

I thought Valve got rid of their beta program back in, like, 2012? I completely missed it, in that case.

All in Source3