What physical form factor should the next Nintendo portable take?

Assuming there is another dedicated piece of portable gaming hardware, what should it look like?

Should they retain dual screens? Should they stick with the clam shell design for durability reasons? What about slide-outs like the one found on the Blackberry Priv?

Or a detachable tablet screen like the Microsoft Surfacebook? A reversible screen on a swivel that could serve double duty as a tablet/phone and still retain the clam shell design like on a Dell tablet notebook?

one that'll fit well in a garbage bin

Something like the NVidia shield but with better specs and in an actually portable factor. But overall Nintendo rules the handhelds so i doubt they'll fuck it up

So not actually like an Nvidia shield at all?

The DS and 3DS have good fit-in-your-pocket form factors, but I honestly prefer the PSP or Vita. They're basically the GBA's form factor taken to the next level. The Vita has a good balance between muh precious touch controls and screen real estate. I'm an adult, so I'm okay with things not fitting in my pocket 24/7, because I can carry my shit in a backpack or satchel, and I don't have cargo pants with a gorillion pockets for things.

It's a moot point in the CURRENT YEAR since they've pissed away all of their good will and made me not want to buy their shit anymore, but for the sake of argument, something like the PSP or Vita.

I really like clam shell designs. Makes it easy to put somewhere and not get the screen fucked up.

The 3D feature I found totally unnecessary.

The two screens worked far better on the 3DS than it did on the WiiU. But ultimately it just felt like there were too many "We gotta throw something on there" moments when playing a game. If they got rid of it, no tears here.

I also don't know why the 3DS felt like it had more reliable online performance than the WiiU.But there you go.

Reported.

Why not take the “you can play on your controller” schema even further by making said feature Internet-streamable? Then you can carry a pocket-sized screen/buttons anywhere and use it to control a console-powered device.

that would only work if you had access to 4G internet 24/7 and even then the few attempts there have been over broadband connection have failed miserably, idk what happened with the last one who tried i think it was Nvidia

Hmm. So you're saying use the console's controller as a handheld gaming device in and of itself? And the home console can act as a server or something when you're out and about?

Yes, but as the other user mentioned, it would be nigh impossible outside of Japan. There’s no economic incentive for anyone to improve Internet speeds, so they’ll never be improved.

I don't really give a fuck.

I just want it to have games worth playing.

I certainly don’t care about 4K, but power enough for anti-aliasing is absolutely fucking necessary at this point.

Nintendo seems to be taking its time with hardware because Microsoft has bowed out of the game entirely and Sony only shat out a point update.

I don't think this will prove to be accurate at all. I think they will release another Xbox. I wouldn't be surprised if they released a gaming-oriented Surface product.

At the very least they'll try and set up something like MSX, a gaming standard for PC. I suppose they are already trying to do that with Windows10 UWP.

Clamshell, because it protects the screen and buttons when closed.
I'd add a port that exposes the controls, so you could plug a controller into it and use that. Alternatively you could slot the whole handheld into a grip and use it, for extra comfy.

A mobile phone with touchscreen, with a controller you can slide out.

A PSP Go, but good.

How would this be any different than similar additions for mobile phones?

It's supposed to be like the things you can get for phones.
3DS and Vita grips are shitty plastic moulds that can't do much, and some of them cover ports. By exposing the controls with a port the grip could have it's own buttons or sticks, so you wouldn't have to rely on the 3DS's circle pad or Vita's tiny sticks.
The problem is you can't have something ergonomic and compact, but with grips you get to choose. If you want to travel light and don't care about the latest Sm4sh tech the standard controls work fine. If you have space for a proper controller you can take the grip with you and get comfy.

I want it to involve this shit, plus since they're working with Sharp for freeform LCDs and that patent they have for it for use in a controller it would be good.

Oh, okay. It would still retain integrated controls but would have more controller-like additions available to it.

why are we already talking about Nintendo's next portable when Nintendo hasn't even released any games for the 3DS?

I care more about them being stupid and putting some pointless costly gimmick in, like 3D or region locking the system, than I do them reaching greater heights with it. I wish someone else would just make another handheld. I don't even want Nintendo's shitty games anyway.

fuck these because they are not a cintiq, I could spend as much on the cheapest model and get some work out of the damned thing.

The tablet PCs were more brought up for their form factor merits [or demerits, if that's the way you feel] rather than their functional utility to professional design work.

What if it's like the PSP Go but with a double slide out? That way they could keep the dual screen or make it a triple slide with 3 screens this time.

In a perfect world, it will be like the Xperia play or the Pyra.

However, this is the company that produced circle pad pro. So, expect a design with this level of quality.

Not trash pretty please.

And don't be jewish as fuck and make it shit but then a worthwhile model 2 years down the line like every other nintendo handheld.

Personally, i'd stick with the dual screen, work on decent controls (i.e actual 2 analog sticks and 2 shoulder buttons with improved accuracy/clickyness if possible), better d-pad placement, bluetooth connectivity, decent cpu/gpu, bigger/higher resolution screen, audio outputs that don't belong in the trash and probably keep the 3D with an improved face tracking (only the jewest of the jews make a new product worse than the last generation).

Also, make the battery bigger. Like shit nigger nobody who has something worthwhile to say will tell you they want their handheld to be portable but last enough that the portability is ruined by needing to bring it's charger around. Make it between the n3DS and the n3DS XL if they can cram all the new features into that space (easily achievable if they don't stick to using hardware that is 4 years old by the time they pick it) but make it thick like the good old o3ds (or thicker). I'm not asking for DS lite "if you go to the bathroom and close the lid it's life spans through 3 days" because batteries haven't evolved with mobile power consumption, but there is no excuse for it not to last your entire waking hours using 3D.
Another thing is that the 3DS doesn't necessarily get burning hot, but at least having the simplest of the heatsinks even if it's covered by the casing could improve battery life, hardware life and user experience

something with actual 3d instead of a shitty meme

Vibrating dragon dildo with mario themed user interface.

I'd buy it.

dear god it's perfect

That was the Xperia Play, but they abandoned it at Android 2.3. The touch stick things were garbage but it was great for GBA emulation, and came with Crash Bandicoot.

Honestly, I think the DS design works well. Just make it more comfortable to hold and you got your system.